Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Nancy Drew -- Based on the Books -- Ordered to series by The CW -- From the EPs of Gossip Girl

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Nancy Drew -- Based on the Books -- Ordered to series by The CW -- From the EPs of Gossip Girl

Old 05-07-19, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

https://deadline.com/2019/05/batwoma...on-1202609470/

Kennedy McMann, who plays Nancy Drew, is considered a potential breakout star. Launching a Nancy Drew TV series has been a priority for CBS TV Studios, which has the rights to the the classic YA mystery books originally published by Stratemeyer Syndicate and later Simon & Schuster. The studio developed two Nancy Drew series over the past three years, Drew at CBS during the 2015-16 development season, which went to pilot starring Sarah Shahi and got close to a series order, and Nancy Drew at NBC this past season. Both incarnations, from writers Tony Phelan and Joan Rater and producer Dan Jinks, were conceived as sequels to the books, with an adult Nancy Drew at the center. The studio’s third attempt with a teen heroine and new writers proved to be the charm.
NANCY DREW

Logline: Set in the summer after her high school graduation,18-year-old Nancy Drew (Kennedy McMann) thought she’d be leaving her hometown for college, but when a family tragedy holds her back another year, she finds herself embroiled in a ghostly murder investigation — and along the way, uncovers secrets that run deeper than she ever imagined.

Writers / Executive Producers: Noga Landau, Melinda Hsu Taylor, Josh Schwartz and Stephanie Savage
Director/Co-Executive Producer: Larry Teng
Executive Producer: Lis Rowinski
Auspices: CBS Television Studios in association with Fake Empire

Another show that doesn't fit the cranky get off my lawn 45-65 demographic of DVD Talk.
Old 05-07-19, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Re: Nancy Drew -- Based on the Books -- Ordered to series by The CW -- From the EPs of Gossip Girl

I'm interested in this.
Old 05-07-19, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Nancy Drew -- Based on the Books -- Ordered to series by The CW -- From the EPs of Gossip Girl

I didn't know Shahi did a Nancy Drew pilot. I definitely would have seen that. I wonder if they're going for a Veronica Mars vibe.

Last edited by randian; 05-07-19 at 09:24 PM.
Old 05-07-19, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
Another show that doesn't fit the cranky get off my lawn 45-65 demographic of DVD Talk.
My 10yo niece loves Nancy Drew. Unfortunately, if this series is anything like Gossip Girl it'll be too adult for her.

Too bad they won't do a teen show like the recent Hidden Staircase movie. Ages 9-16 is probably the real demographic for Nancy Drew. Not the 18-24yo crowd.

Last edited by TheBigDave; 05-07-19 at 09:30 PM.
Old 05-07-19, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

There was a recently released direct to Blu-ray/DVD movie that I heard was actually alright for what it was.
Old 05-08-19, 06:14 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Mike86 View Post
There was a recently released direct to Blu-ray/DVD movie that I heard was actually alright for what it was.
Actually, "Nancy Drew and the Hidden Staircase" was in theaters for a week or so, but went to home video within a month.
Old 05-08-19, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This sounds a lot like Veronica Mars.
Old 05-08-19, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Eric F View Post
This sounds a lot like Veronica Mars.
Well Nancy Drew was an influence for V Mars so it might be the other way around.
Old 05-08-19, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DWilson View Post
Actually, "Nancy Drew and the Hidden Staircase" was in theaters for a week or so, but went to home video within a month.
Ah I see. Either way I heard it was okay.
Old 05-16-19, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Here's the trailer: