Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Chernobyl (HBO mini series) S: Emily Watson, Jared Harris, Stellan Skarsgard -- premieres 5/6/19

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Chernobyl (HBO mini series) S: Emily Watson, Jared Harris, Stellan Skarsgard -- premieres 5/6/19

Old 05-06-19, 06:49 AM

Chernobyl, a five-part miniseries co-production from HBO and Sky, dramatizes the story of the 1986 nuclear accident, one of the worst man-made catastrophes in history — and of the sacrifices made to save Europe from unimaginable disaster.

Premiering May 6, and followed by subsequent episodes each Monday, Chernobyl stars Emmy-nominee Jared Harris (The Crown, Mad Men), Stellan Skarsgård (Melancholia, Good Will Hunting) and Oscar-nominee Emily Watson (Hilary and Jackie, Breaking the Waves).

Chernobyl is written and executive produced by Craig Mazin (The Huntsman: Winter’s War) and directed by Johan Renck (Breaking Bad). Produced by Sister Pictures and The Mighty Mint as an HBO/Sky co-production, Emmy-winner Carolyn Strauss (Game of Thrones) and Jane Featherstone (Broadchurch) serve as executive producers while Johan Renck and Chris Fry (Humans) co-executive produce. Sanne Wohlenberg (Black Mirror) also produces.

On April 26, 1986, the Chernobyl Nuclear Power Plant in Ukraine, Soviet Union suffered a massive explosion that released radioactive material across Belarus, Russia and Ukraine and as far as Scandinavia and western Europe.

Jared Harris portrays Valery Legasov, a leading Soviet nuclear physicist. As part of the response team, he was one of the first to grasp the scope of the unparalleled disaster that occurred. Stellan Skarsgård plays Soviet Deputy Prime Minister Boris Shcherbina, who is assigned by the Kremlin to lead the government commission on Chernobyl in the hours immediately following the accident. Emily Watson portrays Ulana Khomyuk, a Soviet nuclear physicist committed to solving the mystery of what led to the Chernobyl disaster.

The miniseries also features Paul Ritter (Lovesick) as Chernobyl deputy chief engineer Anatoly Dyatlov; Jessie Buckley (Beast) as Lyudmilla Ignatenko, a Pripyat resident married to a firefighter on the first response team; Adrian Rawlins (Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows) as Chernobyl chief engineer Nikolai Fomin; and Con O’Neill (Harlots) as plant director Viktor Bryukhanov. Sam Troughton (The Ritual), Adam Nagaitis (The Terror), Barry Keoghan (Dunkirk), Ralph Ineson (Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince), Mark Lewis Jones (Star Wars: Episode VIII – The Last Jedi), Fares Fares (Westworld) and David Densik (McMafia) also star.

Writer, creator and executive producer Craig Mazin began researching the Chernobyl disaster in 2014, using a wide variety of materials, including several books, government reports from inside and outside of the Soviet Union and first-person accounts. He spoke to nuclear scientists to learn how a reactor works and interviewed former Soviet citizens to gain a better sense of the culture in 1986.

Chernobyl was filmed on location in Lithuania and Ukraine, with a creative team including director of photography Jakob Ihre (Thelma); production designer Luke Hull (Howards End); editors Jinx Godfrey (The Theory of Everything) and Simon Smith (Endeavor); costume designer Odile Dicks-Mireaux (Brooklyn); two-time Emmy-winners Nina Gold and Robert Sterne as casting directors (Game of Thrones); and composer Hildur Gudnadóttir (Trapped).
This will air over 5 weeks.
Old 05-06-19, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

re: Chernobyl (HBO mini series) S: Emily Watson, Jared Harris, Stellan Skarsgard -- premieres 5/6/19

I was in 6th grade when this incident happened. A little too young for me to care or understand about it. But, I am aware about the ramifications this had.

I probably won't record this as my DVR is pretty stuffed already, but I'll watch on HBO Go when I have the time.
Old 05-06-19, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

re: Chernobyl (HBO mini series) S: Emily Watson, Jared Harris, Stellan Skarsgard -- premieres 5/6/19

Looking forward to this. So many actors I enjoy are in this plus I'm very interested in the story even if run through the filter of Hollywood....
Old 05-06-19, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This looks very compelling and has a pretty stellar lineup of actors. But man does it look bleak (understandably).
Old 05-06-19, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Is this a weekly mini-series or multi-day one?
Old 05-06-19, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
1 episode per week.
Old 05-06-19, 11:54 AM

Re: Chernobyl (HBO mini series) S: Emily Watson, Jared Harris, Stellan Skarsgård -- premieres 5/6/19

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
Come on Blu. Read the OP.
Old 05-06-19, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Looking forward to this. Always been fascinated about the topic. I read once if if those guys hadnt commited suicide to contain it, most of Europe would have been devastated.
Old 05-06-19, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Chernobyl (HBO mini series) S: Emily Watson, Jared Harris, Stellan Skarsgård -- premieres 5/6/19

Originally Posted by dex14 View Post

Come on Blu. Read the OP.
Old 05-06-19, 09:41 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

I thought this was really good, looking forward to next week.
Old 05-07-19, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I saw a documentary on Chernobyl about 3 months ago, and it was terrifying.

The level of stupidity that led to the disaster was unbelievable, but the level of the disaster that stupidity led to was far worse.

Chernobyl is still on fire, more or less. It is still out of control (they call it contained, but it's still melting down), and likely will be for hundreds of years. The initial post disaster containment building they constructed was half assed and fell apart quickly. The current containment structure is much better, but will fail within 50 to 80 years. They will need to rebuild it dozens of times before the danger will truly be diminished.

The emergency workers sent there were all sent in to die. It was a suicide mission for all of the first few waves of those emergency crews.

I was a senior in high school when it happened, and we knew it was bad (the radioactive cloud made it all the way around the globe), but we had no idea just how bad or horrific the actual event was for months. We watched the news in class when it happened. We were pretty freaked out. This was the worst case scenario for a nuclear power plant.

I'm sure this will be a compelling mini-series. It looks like it was very well made.

But I don't want to watch it.

After seeing that documentary I don't think I need that kind of real life horror. The documentary was a little more clinical and matter of fact. This mini-series is going to be much more emotional and frightening because of that.

But it's a good thing this was made. People need to remember just how much of a nightmare this disaster was - and it was all because the safety protocols were insufficient and the people in charge were not truly qualified to run such a facility (a badly built, on the cheap, Enterprise in Star Trek V quality facility).

Honestly, I'm surprised it took this long to make a movie or mini-series about Cherynobyl.

Last edited by B5Erik; 05-07-19 at 01:01 AM.
Old 05-07-19, 06:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Years ago I saw a documentary called Chernobyl Heart which was about the birth defects caused by the fallout in the Ukraine and surrounding territories. One of the saddest things I have ever witnessed. So many seriously bill kids in care being looked after by people who don't give a shit. Watched that and documentary called the Children of Leningradski in the same weekend. Jeez it was rough and left me emotionally destroyed.
Old 05-07-19, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I dont think I can watch more than an hour a week, my wife said to watch without her after the first ep...

horrific, but a riveting tv series...
Old 05-07-19, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by james2025a View Post
Years ago I saw a documentary called Chernobyl Heart which was about the birth defects caused by the fallout in the Ukraine and surrounding territories. One of the saddest things I have ever witnessed. So many seriously bill kids in care being looked after by people who don't give a shit. Watched that and documentary called the Children of Leningradski in the same weekend. Jeez it was rough and left me emotionally destroyed.
Dang, I don't think I could watch that. It wasn't even just the fallout that sickened people. The crap got into the soil and then got into the food sources like milk for hundreds of miles away. They say radiation is still present in the milk. Crazy that they had to build a massive concrete blanket to cover the thing and it still isn't a permanent solution.
Old 05-08-19, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Man this was a tough watch, but very good. I remember this happening in elementary school and being frightened by it. Seeing the dramatization of the true horrors of this was even more scarier than I could have ever imagined as a child.
Old 05-08-19, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I dont think it helped that "The Day After" (1983) was still fresh in our minds when this happened. I was a freshmen in HS at the time and it was some scary chit. Looks interesting and I will give this a watch at some point...
Old 05-08-19, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

First episode was good. There are a lot of characters to keep track of.
Old 05-14-19, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I am about 20m into the second episode and this is a great mini-series but good lord do I feel for those poor souls who were effected by this event. It makes me think of Fukushima and how nerve wracking it must be to live even 150 or so miles from the now ruined nuclear power plant.
Old 05-14-19, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Watch the first episode and pretty bleak watching those men dying from radiation poisoning. I'm fan of Jared Harris and loved his work on The Terror, The Crown, and a few episodes of Fringe and hope see more of him next week.
Old 05-15-19, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

How early into ep1 does the meltdown happen? I expected the series to start before and not jump right in. Comments here makes it seem like the meltdown is close to the beginning.
Old 05-15-19, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
How early into ep1 does the meltdown happen? I expected the series to start before and not jump right in. Comments here makes it seem like the meltdown is close to the beginning.
Reactor explosion occurs near the beginning of the 1st episode (nearly 8 minutes in, after a flash forward scene)
Old 05-15-19, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks. I was hoping to get some of the backstory that lead up to it.
Old 05-15-19, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Chernobyl (HBO mini series) S: Emily Watson, Jared Harris, Stellan Skarsgard -- premieres 5/6/19

Originally Posted by B5Erik View Post
But it's a good thing this was made. People need to remember just how much of a nightmare this disaster was - and it was all because the safety protocols were insufficient and the people in charge were not truly qualified to run such a facility (a badly built, on the cheap, Enterprise in Star Trek V quality facility).

l.
I also would have been in sixth grade when this happened, and I've read a bit here and there and, not to make light of it, but that's a surprisingly effective metaphor for how badly the facility was done.
Old 05-22-19, 01:09 AM

Re: Chernobyl (HBO mini series) S: Emily Watson, Jared Harris, Stellan Skarsgard -- premieres 5/6/19

This is has been really good but also very dark/bleak/depressing. I was only 2 when it happened and it's not something I've ever really researched other than knowing the basic happenings, so it's pretty interesting,
Old 05-22-19, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Boondock Saint View Post
This is has been really good but also very dark/bleak/depressing. I was only 2 when it happened and it's not something I've ever really researched other than knowing the basic happenings, so it's pretty interesting,
Being a high school senior when it happened I remember it vividly. Every day worse news came out. After a few days it became clear that the Soviets were lying their asses off about what happened and how bad it was. Then there was the radioactive cloud that was working it's way around the globe. We were concerned about the radiation levels that might reach us. It was scary stuff.

Then years later we found out it was far worse than even Western scientists thought it had been. Had we known just how bad it was at the time people would have been freaking out, even on the other side of the world.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.