Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Game of Thrones (S8E04) -- 78 minute episode -- “The Last of the Starks” -- 5/5/19

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Game of Thrones (S8E04) -- 78 minute episode -- “The Last of the Starks” -- 5/5/19

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-19, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 314 Likes on 215 Posts
Re: Game of Thrones (S8E04) -- 78 minute episode -- “The Last of the Starks” -- 5/5/19

Originally Posted by Bill Needle
That's a shot from earlier in the Red Keep. She was clasping her hands in front of her in the final scene. She had more than enough range of motion to make a bold move.

When Cersei stood next to her, grabbed her arm, and told her it was time for last words Miss Sandy had ample opportunity to grab onto Cersei's Sith Lord outfit and pull her over the edge. Mountain (and anyone else) was too far back to do anything about it.
This is ridiculous. Her hands were still bound in the final scene and even if they weren't, she had zero opportunity or leverage to make any kind of move. Missandei was a translator, not a fighter. Cersei undoubtedly would have intimidated her and told her if she does anything besides stand there on the platform, the Mountain would kill her instantly. It doesn't matter how far back the Mountain may have been - Missandei was further forward than anyone else and had no situational awareness of what might have been possible for her to do. You're looking at it from the perspective of your god's eye view and what you personally want to happen to Cersei, not from the perspective of the character of Missandei and what would actually make sense for her to do.
Old 05-07-19, 11:56 AM

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: Game of Thrones (S8E04) -- 78 minute episode -- “The Last of the Starks” -- 5/5/19

Originally Posted by dex14
Yup.

HBO Edits ‘Game of Thrones’ Episode to Remove Errant Coffee Cup
https://variety.com/2019/digital/new...cdgozxZcv03jiE

Did they ever edit Jon's "rubber sword" during the Battle of the Bastards?

Could have sworn it was still there on my Bu-Ray release...
Old 05-07-19, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 172 Posts

How I think it could/should end

Spoiler:
We flash-forward to see old man Sam from behind, writing the tale of GoT. As Sam gets up to put the book away, he turns towards us and we see that this plump, bearded older Sam is George RR Martin. The end.
Old 05-07-19, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 236 Likes on 169 Posts

Old 05-07-19, 04:05 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

I wish this episode was called "Jump the Stark"
Old 05-07-19, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,262 Likes on 840 Posts

How I think it should end:

Spoiler:
Everybody dies except Jon, who manages to bumble his way onto the throne. As he sit on it, alone, surrounded only by silence, the camera closes up on his face, which slowly turns into Mr Bean's face. He winks. The End.
Old 05-07-19, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by kefrank
This is ridiculous. Her hands were still bound in the final scene and even if they weren't, she had zero opportunity or leverage to make any kind of move. Missandei was a translator, not a fighter. Cersei undoubtedly would have intimidated her and told her if she does anything besides stand there on the platform, the Mountain would kill her instantly. It doesn't matter how far back the Mountain may have been - Missandei was further forward than anyone else and had no situational awareness of what might have been possible for her to do. You're looking at it from the perspective of your god's eye view and what you personally want to happen to Cersei, not from the perspective of the character of Missandei and what would actually make sense for her to do.
Make a move? They were practically in an embrace at the very edge of the drop. Falling down is not a combat skill.
Old 05-07-19, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 578 Likes on 417 Posts

Originally Posted by eXcentris
How I think it should end:

Spoiler:
Everybody dies except Jon, who manages to bumble his way onto the throne. As he sit on it, alone, surrounded only by silence, the camera closes up on his face, which slowly turns into Mr Bean's face. He winks. The End.
why wouldn't he wink, he still ends up with Rose Leslie.
Old 05-07-19, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,200 Likes on 4,227 Posts

Originally Posted by Nefarious
Woot! Shirts is getting in on the action:

https://shirt.woot.com/?ref=w_gh_sh_8
Thanks. I ordered one of those.
Old 05-07-19, 07:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by T-bone22
As lame as it is, it seems all Bran was doing during the battle was being a spectator via the ravens. I'm not sure how or if he will be relevant in the events leading to the finale dealing with Cersei. I imagined that his character would have some sort of real significance to the overall story after the time spent following his long journey to becoming the 3 eyed raven. From what I'm seeing I'm not holding my breath.
I was rewatching the last episode of last season, and the scene between Bran and Sam discussing the birth of Jon made me realize that Bran is still figuring out this whole 3 eyed raven thing. In that episode he saw that Jon was born, but still thought he was a bastard ("his real name is Aegon Sand"). But Sam was the one who told him he read that his parents had been married in secret, causing Bran to further search out and watch the marriage ceremony"

Basically, Bran has access to this entire library, but he's still figuring out how its indexed, and how to navigate the web of historical events to truly know "everything". He's professor X still figuring out how to use Cerebro. It will be some time before he can really truly be a forceful 3 eyed raven... unless that characters role is to be more akin to a Watcher from the Marvel Comics. Essentially document history without trying to interfere much.

Old 05-07-19, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

This was an okay episode, but I have long since given up on this ending being the true ending. Chances are GRRM will not finish the books, so these will go down as not the ending we wanted, but probably the one we deserved.
Old 05-07-19, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,131 Posts

Old 05-07-19, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That pic pretty much sums it up.
Old 05-07-19, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by chowderhead
Sansa has been shown multiple times talking with Lord Royce from the Vale. If she consolidates the North and the Vale along with the Iron Islands and maybe the Stormlands, that is a pretty formidable claim. i still would bet on a traditional ending with Jon Snow.
They might end the show with Jon on the throne, but if they do that is not the ending Martin envisioned, IMO. The person who takes the Iron Throne is a girl from Cersei's prophecy. It's doubtful it is straightforward as Dany, so it is most likely Sansa. The books REALLY point to this IMO.

The other obscure possibility is Arya. I just keep having this bit of dialogue pop into my head for some reason:

Arya:"I'm not a lady. I never have been. That's not me"
Varys: "No, but you are a Queen"

It just seems like a way Martin would go. Certainly the series might go the incredibly predictable route in having Dany go mad, Jon kills her, while Jamie kills Cersei and he sits on the Iron Throne, possibly validated by a late appearance by Howland Reed, but I think the books and maybe show ends with Sansa there. The 'silly girl" to Queen arc is pretty compelling.

Anyway I am out for a couple episodes.

Old 05-07-19, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,200 Likes on 4,227 Posts

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Old 05-07-19, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 234 Likes on 167 Posts

I thought GRRM has stated the series ends different than the books.
Old 05-07-19, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 314 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Needle
Make a move? They were practically in an embrace at the very edge of the drop. Falling down is not a combat skill.
Cersei was behind her, holding her arm and Missandei's wrists were bound together in front of her. If you think Missandei could have pulled Cersei over the ledge just by falling down, then you are seeing what you want to see, not what's actually there. I take it you don't actually have a response to this:
"It doesn't matter how far back the Mountain may have been - Missandei was further forward than anyone else and had no situational awareness of what might have been possible for her to do."

And I haven't even mentioned the fact that Missandei doing what you propose would have meant committing suicide and murder simultaneously. Even if she knew her own death was imminent, would that really be in character for Missandei? At least try to consider it from the character's perspective.
Old 05-07-19, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,262 Likes on 840 Posts

Originally Posted by GatorDeb
I thought GRRM has stated the series ends different than the books.
Except the books ended two seasons ago. GRRM never finished the books, there is no "ending".
Old 05-08-19, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 1,280 Likes on 731 Posts

I think the Hound will be on the throne at the end and will rename King's Landing "Fucking cun*sville".
Old 05-08-19, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LurkerDan
why wouldn't he wink, he still ends up with Rose Leslie.
Poor bastard.

Originally Posted by General Zod
I think the Hound will be on the throne at the end and will rename King's Landing "Fucking cun*sville".
Sounds about right...
Old 05-08-19, 01:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 234 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by eXcentris
Except the books ended two seasons ago. GRRM never finished the books, there is no "ending".
The one he plans on writing when he finishes the series.
Old 05-08-19, 02:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I feel like going by the recent interview that GRRM on 60 Minutes that the show will end similarly to the books.
Old 05-08-19, 06:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by GatorDeb
The one he plans on writing when he finishes the series.
Poop in one hand and hold the final two ASOFAI books in the other and see which fills up first.
Old 05-08-19, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,499 Posts

The whole "Robert was a Targaryan" thing still seems to me like such a weird way to "legitimize" yourself as ruler after you've basically murdered everyone ahead of you in line (and there were still heirs in exile). Like who really cares about the legitimacy of an heir? The people don't. The upper class have shown time and time again that they'll just support whoever they want. Even the promise the banners make are broken time and time again. Only Ned Stark and his nephew have any kind of real concept of honor over everything else. Maybe this is explained better in the books. I mean wasn't Stannis older anyway?

I had a sinking feeling Varys was going to be murdered right then and there when the treason talk started, so I'm glad they didn't go that way. Not sure why you'd openly talk treason in such a huge hallway.

There were a lot more survivors from the previous battle than they seemed to show. The most surprising thing was that both dragons survived, but that was for reasons, I guess.

Agreed with everyone here about the tactics, though the dragon being taken down was cool regardless. Not sure why Euron didn't mop up the survivors besides plot armor, especially if they were able to keep Dany at bay.

Arya aside, opening your gates and letting anyone in seems like a terrible idea, though at this point I doubt anything comes of it. Is there any plausible explanation why both sides don't consider hiring the Faceless Men directly? I mean Cersei is letting people into Kings Landing and Bronn is able to walk right up to the hand of the queen and threaten him while everyone else is drunk, you'd think it would be pretty simple even without supernatural powers to pull off an assassination. In fact, Bronn even mentions that.
Old 05-08-19, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

I rewatched the end of the episode and I thought it was kind of strange that Dany/Tyrion show up with maybe 50 soldiers and a Dragon and Cersei has the high ground with all of those bows pointing right at them? Honestly, I think Cersei could have taken them all out right there, especially now that the Dragons are vulnerable. I know I sound like a debbie-downer on this series, but it is the little things like that in the show that I feel are being missed by D&D.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.