Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Game of Thrones (S8E04) -- 78 minute episode -- “The Last of the Starks” -- 5/5/19

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Game of Thrones (S8E04) -- 78 minute episode -- “The Last of the Starks” -- 5/5/19

Old 05-06-19, 12:11 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 573 Likes on 332 Posts
Re: Game of Thrones (S8E04) -- 78 minute episode -- “The Last of the Starks” -- 5/5/19

Originally Posted by LurkerDan
By the way, Arya is inside Cersei's castle. How could she not be? They opened the gates to let the peasants in, she's there.
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 306 Likes on 209 Posts
Re: Game of Thrones (S8E04) -- 78 minute episode -- “The Last of the Starks” -- 5/5/19

Originally Posted by DaveNinja
The whole series is ruined for me!

Lady Mormont was turned to a wight last episode when the Night King did his "all rise" move. When the Night King was killed, all the wights and walkers turned into ice shards. If this was the case, why did the corpse of Lady Mormont look like a regular dead body on the funeral pyre?
this occurred to me too
Only White Walkers shatter. The wights that a particular White Walker raised simply collapse, no longer re-animated, when that White Walker is destroyed. We saw this last season in "Beyond the Wall" when Jon destroys the White Walker who was with the small band of Wights from which they captured the one they took to King's Landing. All the other Wights in that band were raised by the White Walker that Jon destroyed and they just collapsed when the White Walker shattered.
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,734 Likes on 1,083 Posts

Originally Posted by Timber
I couldn't sworn Rhaegal died last week. I thought I saw him fly away with Wights all over him and then come back breathing blue fire? Hell I'm not even sure what I watched last week now.

No, he just got fucked up during the dragon battle. You could see his wings had rips in them. That's why Danny was so concerned with him during the early parts of the ep...John also mentioned teh he was still recovering and that's one of the reasons he didn't ride him.
Old 05-06-19, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by johnnysd
Pretty obvious who sits on the Iron Throne at the end now.
Spoiler:
Sansa, though I have long thought that from the books anyway
After last week's episode I was talking with my sister and her husband who are also fans of the show. We were spitballing that
Spoiler:
Sansa should remarry Tyrion and they should rule Westeros together. There would be something oddly poetic about a Stark and a Lannister sharing the Iron Throne.

Somehow I don't think the showrunners will go that route, but it's a nice thought.
Old 05-06-19, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts

The ballista mounted on Euron's ships were ridiculously overpowered. The damage they were doing to Dany's ships was akin to what cannonballs would do.
Old 05-06-19, 12:36 PM

Received 4,474 Likes on 3,035 Posts

Originally Posted by coli
I think another example is Bronn popping in the North like James Bond, and than leaving unscathed as it just felt off to me.
The whole scene with Bronn felt off to me. I know he's opportunistic and a "cutthroat", but it still seemed overly aggressive. He has a long a relationship with these two and barely any with Cersei. I think he could've made his point without doing everything he did. And will the plot with him even matter in the end?
Old 05-06-19, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

If the show had ended with ALL of King's Landing on fire with many dead and Greyworm and Missandei on a beach happy I would have been satisfied.
Old 05-06-19, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by funkyryno
The ballista mounted on Euron's ships were ridiculously overpowered. The damage they were doing to Dany's ships was akin to what cannonballs would do.

They said on the feature that they intentionally had Qyburn make the weapon design bigger and better than the original and created more of them. The "arrows" had a tip that expanded like the ones used to kill whales in real life.
Old 05-06-19, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by kefrank
After last week's episode I was talking with my sister and her husband who are also fans of the show. We were spitballing that
Spoiler:
Sansa should remarry Tyrion and they should rule Westeros together. There would be something oddly poetic about a Stark and a Lannister sharing the Iron Throne.

Somehow I don't think the showrunners will go that route, but it's a nice thought.
Don't be so certain...

Spoiler:
Sansa smiled at the idea last week until she said it wouldn't work because of his divided loyalties... I was originally thinking she's just have him as her Hand and Brienne as lead of her Knights Guard but perhaps they do remarry..."
Old 05-06-19, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 557 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnysd
Pretty obvious who sits on the Iron Throne at the end now.
Spoiler:
Sansa, though I have long thought that from the books anyway
why do you say that? Why is that "obvious"? She's got no legitimate claim under just about any theory I can think of, although next to Cersei and possibly Varys, she understands the game better than anyone.
Old 05-06-19, 01:27 PM

Received 4,474 Likes on 3,035 Posts

Hauke Richter, 'GoT' Art Director for the past 5 seasons, tells TMZ ... the notorious cup is NOT from Starbucks, but rather a local coffee shop in Banbridge, Northern Ireland near where they filmed.

Richter says despite the hoopla and theories about the cup, he's certain it was just an accident. He says similar mistakes -- like Vikings or Indians wearing wristwatches -- happen on TV and in movies all the time ... they're just not as high-profile as 'Thrones.'

He adds ... "We are usually so diligent that this does not happen. The shoot was very hard and demanding and it is likely that after a very tiring ep 3 shoot, this was simply overlooked by an exhausted crew."
In an email to Variety, Hauke Richter, an art director for “Game of Thrones” seasons 4-8, said he had not yet seen Sunday night’s episode but noted that it’s not uncommon for such misplaced elements to mistakenly end up in the final cut of TV shows and movies.

“Things can get forgotten on set,” Richter wrote. He said the coffee cup error has been “so blown out of proportion [because] it has not happened with ‘Thrones’ so far.” Images from “Game of Thrones” season 4 showing Jaime Lannister (Nikolaj Coster-Waldau) holding a coffee cup went viral in 2014, but those were from a behind-the-scenes clip and didn’t appear in the show itself.
Old 05-06-19, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 980 Likes on 811 Posts

It’ll be digitally erased on HBO streaming soon and on future releases anyway.
Old 05-06-19, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

why do you say that? Why is that "obvious"? She's got no legitimate claim under just about any theory I can think of, although next to Cersei and possibly Varys, she understands the game better than anyone.
I don't think it's "obvious" but bear in mind that Cersei's current claim to the throne is tenuous at best and hardly legitimate. Robert didn't have a legitimate claim to the throne - he led a rebellion and ended the Targeryen Dynasty. With that precedent, anyone who mounts a strong enough rebellion can end up on the throne.
Old 05-06-19, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,073 Likes on 1,425 Posts

Some set dresser just got fired!
Old 05-06-19, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Sansa doesn't have much of a claim other than the backing of the North. But if everyone dies - who else is left to take it? That's the only way I can really see it playing out.
Old 05-06-19, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 557 Likes on 402 Posts

I don't think it's "obvious" but bear in mind that Cersei's current claim to the throne is tenuous at best and hardly legitimate. Robert didn't have a legitimate claim to the throne - he led a rebellion and ended the Targeryen Dynasty. With that precedent, anyone who mounts a strong enough rebellion can end up on the throne.
Cersei is on the throne, that's her claim. And yeah, I get that anyone with a strong enough army doesn't really need a "claim", but seeing as how we have a number who have valid claims (Jon, Dany, Gendry even), I don't get how it's obvious that Sansa is it. To me, it seems likely that Sansa may end up ruling the North, but the Iron Throne? Not saying it can't happen, just don't really see it or how it is obvious.

Originally Posted by Goat3001
Sansa doesn't have much of a claim other than the backing of the North. But if everyone dies - who else is left to take it? That's the only way I can really see it playing out.
Yes, this seems the only way it happens, Cersei and Jon and Dany all die.
Old 05-06-19, 02:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
Favorite line of the episode: “So which one of you cowards shit in my pants?!”
Mine was the one about Jon being no heavier than two flea's fucking.
Old 05-06-19, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Robert's grandmother was a Targaryen so he did have a blood claim as well (after his rebellion casued the death/exile of all male Targaryens).
Old 05-06-19, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 369 Likes on 269 Posts

Doesn't Gendry have a better claim to the throne than Sansa?
Old 05-06-19, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
The whole scene with Bronn felt off to me. I know he's opportunistic and a "cutthroat", but it still seemed overly aggressive. He has a long a relationship with these two and barely any with Cersei. I think he could've made his point without doing everything he did. And will the plot with him even matter in the end?
My thinking on this is Bronn has always been a bastard, but he's been our bastard. This scene plays out like how it is to deal with Bronn when he's on the other side.

That said, I agree with you. Maybe he was so aggressive because he wanted to show he wasn't playing games, but Bronn has always felt like the lovable rogue to me, but here his bastard opportunist side was in full display.

I really don't get if they're in the endgame why Cersei didn't just kill Dany at their meeting. Dany only had one dragon (dragons which really don't feel like the big deal they once were), and a paltry group of soldiers with her. Cersei clearly doesn't give a fuck, so why not just send her forces on Dany now while she's isolated?
Old 05-06-19, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Brian Gentz
Robert's grandmother was a Targaryen so he did have a blood claim as well (after his rebellion casued the death/exile of all male Targaryens).
Sure, but my point is that for all the talk of "legitimate claims" to the throne, the legitimacy of one's claim is far less meaningful than the might with which one rebels against the current occupant. If claims were what really mattered, Dany could just waltz into King's Landing, push Cersei aside and sit on the throne because Dany's claim is stronger.
Old 05-06-19, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yes, this seems the only way it happens, Cersei and Jon and Dany all die.
The show has at least hinted at all of these deaths happening. We know there are multiple people hell-bent on killing Cersei. Varys implied the best thing for the realm might be to assassinate Dany to give Jon the throne. Jon has cheated death nearly as many times as Beric at this point and is due for his stupidity to finally end his life.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not bullish on the theory being discussed here. But it is intriguing.

Old 05-06-19, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,236 Likes on 823 Posts

The Bronn scene was pretty much what I thought would happen. He's always been a me-first pragmatic/opportunistic guy. He was never going to kill Jaime and Tyrion but he certainly would hold Tyrion to his word "I'll double it."

But I'd like to know where the teleport pads are, if they use a spore drive, where all those ships magically get built and why armies are always the right size. They have 20,000 + Euron's ships/forces... and even after Winterfell, well... let's see... still evenly matched! So we're good to go!

I've decided to treat these last two seasons like "24", entertaining but full of ridiculous shit.
Old 05-06-19, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,236 Likes on 823 Posts

And I hope Cercei, Jon and Dany all die. Jaime on the throne and Sansa ruling the North.

And add Grey Worm to the list of potential Mountain killers.
Old 05-06-19, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Good grief, I'm already sick of hearing about the coffee cup all over the internet. People are so nit picky these days. I never notice such things.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.