Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Game of Thrones (S8E04) -- 78 minute episode -- “The Last of the Starks” -- 5/5/19

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Game of Thrones (S8E04) -- 78 minute episode -- “The Last of the Starks” -- 5/5/19

Old 05-06-19, 08:24 AM

Received 4,474 Likes on 3,035 Posts
Re: Game of Thrones (S8E04) -- 78 minute episode -- “The Last of the Starks” -- 5/5/19

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
I think the the biggest issue with these last few episodes is that they’re just forced to move so damn fast thanks to the shortened season. Frankly, it feels like this last season should have been stretched to 2 full seasons to have a satisfactory conclusion. Instead, we get a shorted final season that just seems to rush every plot line out of necessity.
That's been one issue for me. Even last year. I still don't buy Dany and Jon together and their love.
Old 05-06-19, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
Re: Game of Thrones (S8E04) -- 78 minute episode -- “The Last of the Starks” -- 5/5/19

Tormunds giant milk latte was spotted in last nights episode

How the hell did that get through post production?
Old 05-06-19, 08:35 AM
Admin

Received 459 Likes on 301 Posts

Wow Dany's really losing it. She's 3/4 of the way to the mad king/queen now. She's not sitting on the iron throne. I don't know who's going to be there at the end. I want Cersei to die though. If that happens, I think I can call the series a success for me.
Old 05-06-19, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 848 Likes on 627 Posts

This whole season (and most of last) should be retconned. I guess GRRM doesn't care how his legacy ends as long as the checks keep rolling in.
Old 05-06-19, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 557 Likes on 402 Posts

I don't think Jamie is going back to Cersei, I think he is going back to kill her.
Old 05-06-19, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 557 Likes on 402 Posts

And I actually liked this episode, mostly.
Old 05-06-19, 08:41 AM

Received 1,790 Likes on 1,064 Posts

SPOILER: THEY LEFT A COFFEE CUP ON SET!

https://twitter.com/zane/status/1125289538845327361?s=09

Old 05-06-19, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Redrum beat ya to it.
Old 05-06-19, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by Noonan
This whole season (and most of last) should be retconned. I guess GRRM doesn't care how his legacy ends as long as the checks keep rolling in.
You're basically trolling at this point... We get it... you're a fan of the books and nothing will satisfy you.
Old 05-06-19, 08:51 AM

Received 1,790 Likes on 1,064 Posts

Redrum beat ya to it.
Well, I've never seen the show and I've never posted in these threads and I thought I'd do something nice for you all but now I must ban him too late YOU FORCE MY HAND!
Old 05-06-19, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dex14
You're basically trolling at this point... We get it... you're a fan of the books and nothing will satisfy you.
Trolling? I've been a huge fan of the show since season 1. Can you find any highly negative comments from me before this season? But yeah, how HBO is butchering the end is really annoying and a shame. What would have satisfied me was not rushing the end of a highly complex and engaging story just for the sake of wrapping it up to move on to new shows.
Old 05-06-19, 08:55 AM

Trolling? I've been a huge fan of the show since season 1. Can you find any highly negative comments from me before this season? But yeah, how HBO is butchering the end is really annoying and a shame. What would have satisfied me was not rushing the end of a highly complex and engaging story just for the sake of wrapping it up to move on to new shows.
I get it... but basically everything you've been saying the last two week is is nothing but HBO bashing. I also highly doubt HBO wouldn't want to have this go on longer and flesh things out more. If anything it's on Benioff and Weiss. It was their decision on how many episodes.
Old 05-06-19, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dex14
I get it... but basically everything you've been saying the last two week is is nothing but HBO bashing. I also highly doubt HBO wouldn't want to have this go on longer and flesh things out more. If anything it's on Benioff and Weiss. It was their decision on how many episodes.
Well I guess I'll just end it here for the threads then. If my valid criticism of HBO is considered trolling now, I'll be sure to stay out of the threads for the final episodes.
Old 05-06-19, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by LurkerDan
I don't think Jamie is going back to Cersei, I think he is going back to kill her.
Then why didn't he just tell Brienne that instead of this speech about how he is a rotten human being who needs to be with Cersei at all counts?
Old 05-06-19, 09:12 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Originally Posted by redrum
Tormunds giant milk latte was spotted in last nights episode

How the hell did that get through post production?
Just another plotline that won't get resolved before the series ends.
Old 05-06-19, 09:12 AM
Admin

Received 459 Likes on 301 Posts

Originally Posted by dvdjunkie32
Then why didn't he just tell Brienne that instead of this speech about how he is a rotten human being who needs to be with Cersei at all counts?
He doesn't want Brienne following him to King's Landing. There's a good chance Jamie will die and he doesn't want Brienne to die as well.
Old 05-06-19, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by coli
Pretty good episode after 'The Long DARK Night' Episode. I think I realized where the show is lacking in the Post GRRM books seasons. D&D just don't have the writing chops to develop something like GRRM, as everything just feels to fast. The Jaime/Brienne romance felt totally forced, where I think GRRM would have developed it better leading up to them hooking up. GRRM is great at developing/setup and than the payoff, where D&D write more with the payoff in mind and lack that setup/development. I think another example is Bronn popping in the North like James Bond, and than leaving unscathed as it just felt off to me.

I will continue to say these last 2 shortened seasons were just a bad idea (not sure if it's HBO who didn't want a 10 season big budget show anymore, or D&D just wanted to get to the good stuff and not take 10 episodes to develop a full season arc?) Only 2 episodes left but the shows feels like it ran out of gas and alot of us are just watching now to see it through, which is much different than previous seasons where it was appointment TV every week that I couldn't wait to see what happened next.

That's exactly what I thought. If this were a sports team, the Manager would have been fired for some of the decisions they have made in the past 2 seasons. Those Dragons were RG3 in that playoff game a few years ago, Shanahan should have handled him with alittle more care!
I think if GRRM was steering the ship then the show would have no ending and keep going on and on. I fear the series may end up almost like Lost which also wrapped things up on shorten seasons. The writers cashing checks with bigger and bigger mysteries that they couldn't pay off in the end. The early seasons had room to breathe and build up intrigue and character development. Now it feels rushed. Litltlefinger was one of the most interesting characters in the series yet his story just came to an abrupt and unsatisfying end.

I hope the final two episodes are amazing and unpredictable. I'll be pretty pissed though if Bran ends up doing absolutely nothing. All those seasons with his journey to become the three eyed raven and for what? Just to have an empty stare and live in the past? It's going to make rewatching the series feel empty with the Bran parts.
Old 05-06-19, 09:22 AM

Well I guess I'll just end it here for the threads then. If my valid criticism of HBO is considered trolling now, I'll be sure to stay out of the threads for the final episodes.
I'm not saying that and I'm not a fan of how rushed these last two seasons are either. But you act as though GRRM had no input in to how this was ending. The writers/creators are the ones who decided on the episode count. HBO would've more than likely loved for this to have gone on for two more years.
Old 05-06-19, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 1,249 Likes on 720 Posts

The coffee cup was a production choice that I personally think really added to it all. Can't really comment on the details until I've seen it on Ultra Blu-Ray 4k.
Old 05-06-19, 09:34 AM

<iframe width="676" height="380" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/qwQV89TE8DQ" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 05-06-19, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by VinVega
He doesn't want Brienne following him to King's Landing. There's a good chance Jamie will die and he doesn't want Brienne to die as well.
Yep, that was my thinking, as well. He knows that Brienne needs to stay with Sansa.
Old 05-06-19, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by General Zod
The coffee cup was a production choice that I personally think really added to it all. Can't really comment on the details until I've seen it on Ultra Blu-Ray 4k.

....with a properly calibrated TV.
Old 05-06-19, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I do wonder, seeing what I'm seeing now, if it wouldn't have made sense to have the Battle of Winterfell be the end of last season, and have this whole season be about the build up to taking/trying to take King's Landing. It feels like characters are turning on dimes, and I wish they had more time to let some stuff spool out. I like Dany feeling like she's losing a gripe on the throne, but I wish that stuff had more time to breathe. I also am really liking the Sansa stuff, but again I wish this had more time to breathe. That probably wouldn't have worked either, and really what I'm going to probably always want is another short season, or this season being extended (if not having this be a full season and then one more full season -- but then I'm just being greedy). I'm ok with things happening faster now, but it does feel like we're hoping from plot point to plot point, and not really living in this world anymore (which I really loved about those earlier seasons).

The murders in this episode felt more GoT to me than what we've been seeing, and not just because they were shocking. They were also brutal and cruel, which is unpleasant to watch, but does feel like how this world feels to me. It really stinks that Misandy went out. Her death, along with the dragon's, does have my on my Dany bullshit just wanting to see King's Landing burn. All that said, while I do find Jon to be a bit of a wet blanket, Varys is probably the most sound mind of the actors still on the board. They're showing Dany losing sight of her goal, and is instead chasing power for power's sake, which makes me wonder if they'll have her do something awful in the heat of anger and revenge.

I'm sure I'm late to the party, but Sophie Turner is so striking. There were some scenes that just held on her face in this episode, and she is just impossibly beautiful.

And Gwendyln Christie was acting her ass off in this episode. I love the balance she strikes between being strong and innocent. It should have been Tormund. My man Tormund with a really sweet moment as well in this episode.
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,010 Likes on 719 Posts

I think if GRRM was steering the ship then the show would have no ending and keep going on and on. I fear the series may end up almost like Lost which also wrapped things up on shorten seasons. The writers cashing checks with bigger and bigger mysteries that they couldn't pay off in the end. The early seasons had room to breathe and build up intrigue and character development. Now it feels rushed. Litltlefinger was one of the most interesting characters in the series yet his story just came to an abrupt and unsatisfying end.

I hope the final two episodes are amazing and unpredictable. I'll be pretty pissed though if Bran ends up doing absolutely nothing. All those seasons with his journey to become the three eyed raven and for what? Just to have an empty stare and live in the past? It's going to make rewatching the series feel empty with the Bran parts.
Littlefinger's death was one of my favourites of this show. He was scum, and met a deserving, and surprising, fate.

Bran doing nothing? Bran was almost entirely responsible for the death of the Night King. Why do people fail to grasp that?

What didn't you find satisfying about the end of Littlefinger? I thought that was a satisfying scene.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.