Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Game of Thrones (S8E04) -- 78 minute episode -- “The Last of the Starks” -- 5/5/19

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Game of Thrones (S8E04) -- 78 minute episode -- “The Last of the Starks” -- 5/5/19

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-19, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,497 Posts
Re: Game of Thrones (S8E04) -- 78 minute episode -- “The Last of the Starks” -- 5/5/19

I figured the troops and Dany were out of the range of the regular bows (and the dragon was out of the range of the ballista) but the ballista should have been able to reach them, especially the gatling gun ballistas they seemed to have.

Kings Landing actually kind of reminded me of Attack on Titan there.
Old 05-08-19, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 236 Likes on 169 Posts
Re: Game of Thrones (S8E04) -- 78 minute episode -- “The Last of the Starks” -- 5/5/19

Missandei's last word was telling Dany to fuck these people behind the wall and just light them all up.
Old 05-08-19, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by coli
I rewatched the end of the episode and I thought it was kind of strange that Dany/Tyrion show up with maybe 50 soldiers and a Dragon and Cersei has the high ground with all of those bows pointing right at them? Honestly, I think Cersei could have taken them all out right there, especially now that the Dragons are vulnerable. I know I sound like a debbie-downer on this series, but it is the little things like that in the show that I feel are being missed by D&D.
This series has always been a little iffy with military tactics.
This season it has went beyond that...it's just ridiculous now.

Maybe they were just in a hurry to get it all over with this year and turned their brains off?
Shouldn't greater care have been taken to get it right...don't they owe the audience at least that much?

Hollywood constantly insults the intelligence of audiences.
Either that or they are just fncking idiots.
Old 05-08-19, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,192 Likes on 4,219 Posts

Why Didn’t Cersei Just Kill Everyone?

Old 05-08-19, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
OK, it's not just me!
Old 05-08-19, 10:43 AM

OK, it's not just me!
Nope. I got to that question right away
Originally Posted by Decker
I guess I'll be the first to ask : Why didn't Cersei just open-fire? She could have had the whole battle over in a few minutes and while that would have been very unsporting, she wouldn't have lost the throne over it, right?

Old 05-08-19, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 1,278 Likes on 731 Posts

OK, it's not just me!
We've been discussing it since the beginning of the thread. It never made sense but perhaps her advisers whispered to her that there's still 2 more episodes left.
Old 05-08-19, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Even if you imagine the bows wouldn't reach (which I said before, they would be really stupid to be in reach of their weapons), there's no reason Cersei couldn't have just sent out her armies and crushed this force before the rest of the North gets there. So it has to be some weird antiquated rules of engagement. Remember, even though people defy rules left and right, this is still a society where there's a law that you can be deemed innocent via a trial by combat, and you don't even have to take part in the combat.
Old 05-08-19, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts

Originally Posted by General Zod
I think the Hound will be on the throne at the end and will rename King's Landing "Fucking cun*sville".
I would be satisfied with this ending as well. The mass suicides of pissed off fans and Book Readers will be epic.
Old 05-08-19, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

So people complain the writing is too simplistic and written to fans...then get stumped on Cersei not just taking everyone out. Make up your minds Nerds.

Also, Cersei taking out Missandei is Cersei being Cersei...Sadistic, Making a big fuckin' point, No Fucks Given, and Doing the worst. Isn't this the same woman who as a young girl pinched baby Tyrian's penis until he screamed?

Last edited by Giantrobo; 05-08-19 at 04:11 PM.
Old 05-08-19, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
The mass suicides of pissed off fans and Book Readers will be epic.
Maybe we would be better off without them...
Old 05-08-19, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by raven56706
is it just me or is the writing lazy?
It's not just you. It's been lazy for several seasons. Essentially when they ran out of books to adapt.
Originally Posted by Timber
I couldn't sworn Rhaegal died last week. I thought I saw him fly away with Wights all over him and then come back breathing blue fire? Hell I'm not even sure what I watched last week now.
That was Drogon with the wights all over him. He shook them off as he flew away leaving Dany on the ground alone until Jorah saw her and came to her aid.

Rhaegal was injured in the battle, did a crash landing, and sort of ran/slid out of the frame. He suffered some wing damage which can be seen in episode 4 before he's shot out of the sky with heat seeking ballista bolts.

That was Viserion who landed on the wall blowing blue fire out of his mouth and neck where he'd been injured by Rhaegal.

The Night King had gotten thrown off during the aerial battle and walked back to the castle (where he was almost attacked by Jon) collecting the White Walkers as he went. Viserion landed on the wall at the North wall courtyard just as Jon arrived at the entrance to the Godswood, blocking his entry.
Old 05-08-19, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by melasnus
Maybe we would be better off without them...
This goes on in every franchise. And this went on before the internet as I knew people who hated The Seinfeld ending way back in 1998. People hated the Matrix Sequels, people hated George Clooney as Batman, people hated Rocky 5, people hated The Star Wars Prequels, people hated The Sopranos ending.
Old 05-08-19, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

I still stand behind the Sopranos ending.
Old 05-08-19, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 392 Likes on 280 Posts

...people hated The Star Wars Prequels, people hated The Sopranos ending.
why are you using the past tense? These things are still hated... that said I have seen worse than this show at its worst. Im still irked they are calling the battle fotage an issue with my TV and not their production but otherwise its been a pretty solid run overall for the show. I'll reserve final judgement when I see who sits on the iron throne and how they wrap things up but overall I'm still tuning in for the next two sunday nights and I cant think of anything else that is not simply DVRd...
Old 05-08-19, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,637 Likes on 2,610 Posts

So people complain the writing is too simplistic and written to fans...then get stumped on Cersei not just taking everyone out. Make up your minds Nerds.

Also, Cersei taking out Missandei is Cersi being Cerise...Sadistic, Making a big fuckin' point, No Fucks Given, and Doing the worst. Isn't this the same woman who as a young girl pinched baby Tyrian's penis until he screamed?
I'm waiting for the "Fans" to turn on Benioff and Weiss and call them hacks like Rian Johnson.

Unfortunately for IPs like this, which so many are deadly passionate about, unless the quality is a 10, it's a 0. Anything in between is unacceptable.
Old 05-08-19, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Long running shows usually have an issue with satisfactory endings. I mean, it's all leading up to something, and it just gets more and more predictable the closer we get to the end; even if this was meticulously scripted people would be complaining that the shocks just aren't there like they were in earlier seasons, when anyone was seemingly vulnerable.

Like sure, Cersei or Dany could have died in this episode, and any number of major players could have died in the last episode, but from a storytelling perspective it's going to tick off a ton of people even more if there was absolutely no purpose to following these people for so many seasons.
Old 05-08-19, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts

Last edited by funkyryno; 05-08-19 at 04:19 PM.
Old 05-08-19, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by DJariya
I'm waiting for the "Fans" to turn on Benioff and Weiss and call them hacks like Rian Johnson.

Like this?

Old 05-08-19, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by fujishig
Like sure, Cersei or Dany could have died in this episode, and any number of major players could have died in the last episode, but from a storytelling perspective it's going to tick off a ton of people even more if there was absolutely no purpose to following these people for so many seasons.
I'll say it again...NOT killing characters who all the "smart" people knew for damn sure would die, because everyone dies on GoT right?..was a nice curve by the show. THAT was not predictable. Many seemed pissed that they were wrong and it added to the "fuck the final season" bitching and moaning.

But in this day and age of "know it all spectators" and "online leaks" they can't even see that the show did them this favor.
Old 05-08-19, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

If you look at the "shocking" deaths in the earlier seasons, they were shocking because we thought there was more for them to do from a plot perspective, but their deaths actually moved the plot along. There would have been no point for any of the major players (Dany, Grey Worm, John, the Starks, the Lannister brothers, Brienne, the Hound, etc.) to die in that battle. That may be "unrealistic" but it would make an even bigger mockery of the overall plot that's been building up, because each of them has a bigger purpose that isn't going to be taken up by someone else. Characters like Pod, Sam, Tormund or Davos could have bit it without much loss but there would still be complaints about them not being major enough.
Old 05-08-19, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,259 Likes on 837 Posts

I'll say it again...NOT killing characters who all the "smart" people knew for damn sure would die, because everyone dies on GoT right?..was a nice curve by the show. THAT was not predictable. Many seemed pissed that they were wrong and it added to the "fuck the final season" bitching and moaning.

But in this day and age of "know it all spectators" and "online leaks" they can't even see that the show did them this favor.
The issue is not with the choice not to kill characters, it's with the choice not to kill characters (Sam, Brienne, Jaime,...) when it makes no fucking sense that none of them died when they seemed completely overwhelmed for God knows how long. Same issue with the crap battle tactics, Dany not torching the boats, and all of last year's silliness.

Hardcore GOT fans are not battling nitpicking, they are battling logic and common sense, which apparently aren't required in their minds...

And most people probably quite happy with the first 6 seasons, despite the drop in quality in 5-6. But 7-8? I just can't accept a show that seems to believe I'm a moron.
Old 05-08-19, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
This is already happening. Several Youtubers I watch are saying how B&W are "subverting expectations" like Rian Johnson...and not in a good way.
Old 05-08-19, 09:44 PM

I will give them this : We are two episodes from the end and I literally have no idea how it's going to turn out. That is saying something. Looking back at the very best of TV and with shows like Mad Men, The Sopranos, Breaking Bad, The Americans -- two episodes from the end there may be a fate of two up in the air, but you pretty much knew where it was inevitably headed. That is really not the case with GoT and that is somewhat noteworthy.
Old 05-09-19, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually it seems pretty predictable, they are setting up Dany as the mad queen, so she will likely do something stupid and piss off her allies. Cersei will not win because she is the main villain (it would really subvert expectation if they let her win at the end, but I give this a less than 1% probability). So that leaves Jon/Sansa/Tyrion likely to sit on the iron throne, with Tyrion being the least likely. I think it won't be Jon because he is an idiot throughout the show and will do something dumb again, either to protect Dany or to destroy her because she sacked King's Landing (which is a certainty from last episode's buildup).

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.