Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Game of Thrones (S8E04) -- 78 minute episode -- “The Last of the Starks” -- 5/5/19

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Game of Thrones (S8E04) -- 78 minute episode -- “The Last of the Starks” -- 5/5/19

Old 05-06-19, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,027 Likes on 4,115 Posts
Re: Game of Thrones (S8E04) -- 78 minute episode -- “The Last of the Starks” -- 5/5/19

Originally Posted by leeta

He's headed to kill Cersei and he didn't want Brienne following. He was cruel during their last talk to keep her out of harm's way. Plus, taking care of Cersei is something he wants to do all by himself (no double meaning here!).

That's how I see it, anyway.
Yeah I totally thought of John Lithgow in that scene
Old 05-06-19, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 314 Likes on 201 Posts
Re: Game of Thrones (S8E04) -- 78 minute episode -- “The Last of the Starks” -- 5/5/19

Did you miss the talk with Jamie and Tyrion? It more or less confirmed his feelings for Brienne and Tyrion told him he was happy for him.

Jamie didn't decide to leave for the south until Bronn showed up and he learned Cersei had taken a hit out on both of the brothers.

He's headed to kill Cersei and he didn't want Brienne following. He was cruel during their last talk to keep her out of harm's way. Plus, taking care of Cersei is something he wants to do all by himself (no double meaning here!).

Old 05-06-19, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 559 Likes on 403 Posts

Did you miss the talk with Jamie and Tyrion? It more or less confirmed his feelings for Brienne and Tyrion told him he was happy for him.

Jamie didn't decide to leave for the south until Bronn showed up and he learned Cersei had taken a hit out on both of the brothers.

that's exactly how I saw it too
Old 05-06-19, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 166 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
I can think of one :
That's a shot from earlier in the Red Keep. She was clasping her hands in front of her in the final scene. She had more than enough range of motion to make a bold move.

When Cersei stood next to her, grabbed her arm, and told her it was time for last words Miss Sandy had ample opportunity to grab onto Cersei's Sith Lord outfit and pull her over the edge. Mountain (and anyone else) was too far back to do anything about it.
Old 05-06-19, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 314 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Needle
Miss Sandy
Old 05-07-19, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I just had another thought. Everyone is forgetting how Cersei's unborn baby may effect things. Jaime.loves Brienne now and wants to protect her and Tyrion from Cersei.

But... even though he was an absent father, he always cared about his children. How will this effect his confrontation with Cersei? He may hesitate and that could be his undoing.

Old 05-07-19, 03:26 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Noonan
Old 05-07-19, 04:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Gunde
Old 05-07-19, 05:26 AM

Received 4,511 Likes on 3,059 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Needle
That's a shot from earlier in the Red Keep. She was clasping her hands in front of her in the final scene. She had more than enough range of motion to make a bold move.

When Cersei stood next to her, grabbed her arm, and told her it was time for last words Miss Sandy had ample opportunity to grab onto Cersei's Sith Lord outfit and pull her over the edge. Mountain (and anyone else) was too far back to do anything about it.
OK... and then what? How would that have been remotely satisfying?
Old 05-07-19, 05:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,675 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Originally Posted by LurkerDan
By the way, Arya is inside Cersei's castle. How could she not be? They opened the gates to let the peasants in, she's there.
I think Dani and her crew got to Kings Landing by ship before the others who are traveling by land.

But when Arya gets there, she’ll get into the Red Keep if she wants to. She was sneaking around that place back in the first season even before became a trained assassin.
Old 05-07-19, 05:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Euron is a really ridiculous character. He just pops up out of nowhere and hooks up with Queen Cersei, destroys entire fleets of ships in seconds, and kills a dragon. It’s like a character from a cheesy 90s fantasy series wandered into Game of Thrones. He’s so absurdly clever and skilled that he’s basically Game of Thrones version of River Song.

It’s a real shame to see Game of Thrones go out on such a tv-ish note. The first four or so seasons had carefully constructed plots and character arcs, but now, in the home stretch, the characters are making bad decisions and using poor tactics to rush the story to the finish line.

The Bronn scene really exemplifies this. There’s no subtlety there, and Bronn was wildly out of character. He’s been a smooth operator for seven seasons, and now, suddenly, he’s a crass thug. Yes, he was always about the money, but the guy in the last episode would have let the dragon barbecue Jaime while he ran off with his coin purse.
Old 05-07-19, 06:22 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Euron is a really ridiculous character.
He feels like a WCW villain who comes out when RAW starts and calls out the crowd and says he deserves his shot at the title. He is so over the top in every scene, I honestly can't take the guy seriously in the show. And Lena Headley objected to D&D about hooking up with Euron in this season as she thought it was out of character for her. She said that D&D listened to her complaint but totally disagreed with her, so she said she lost the argument and shot the scene where she hooked up with him.
Old 05-07-19, 06:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 323 Likes on 241 Posts

It’s a real shame to see Game of Thrones go out on such a tv-ish note. The first four or so seasons had carefully constructed plots and character arcs, but now, in the home stretch, the characters are making bad decisions and using poor tactics to rush the story to the finish line.
Well, the answer to this one is pretty simple: Once the shows caught up to the printed books and started covering new territory, things went into a nosedive. Yes, George RR Martin may be "consulting" on these storylines, but they've lost his attention to detail/intricate plotting. So the action's there and the story's there, but it's not well-thought-out or well written.
Old 05-07-19, 08:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Well, the answer to this one is pretty simple: Once the shows caught up to the printed books and started covering new territory, things went into a nosedive. Yes, George RR Martin may be "consulting" on these storylines, but they've lost his attention to detail/intricate plotting. So the action's there and the story's there, but it's not well-thought-out or well written.
It's pretty much as simple as that. It was easy making a great show with great source material. Since that ended it was just a few plotlines and it's been tumling ever since and hit the finish line after barrel rolls only leave a carcass.
Old 05-07-19, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 182 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by eXcentris
After the poop that was ep. 3, I expect more of what GOT does best (see ep. 2).
Honestly, why would you say this? It was very entertaining and well done. Were you actually sitting there saying to yourself "This is the worst thing I've ever seen!!!!" while it was playing out??
Old 05-07-19, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,159 Likes on 2,035 Posts
Re: Game of Thrones (S8E04) -- 78 minute episode -- Episode 71 -- 5/5/19

Originally Posted by ScHoLaR oF SMuT
don't get your knickers in a scabbycake stink just yet.cersei may have been the serena williams of lobbed flaming turds at one time but the courtyard cage match to rule 7 kingdom's remains anybodies crapshoot.
for all we know the earless, hairless and in dire straits Ghost or that beefy idiot eurine greyjoy could end up on the iron throne .
it's anybody's GAME.......to the throne :
If you’re worried about what’s to come in the final episodes of the series, you’re not wrong. The series’ writer and producer, Bryan Cogman, recently shared that audience opinion does not factor into their decisions."We just have to tell the story we want to tell and feel the rhythm of the story as we're laying it out," Cogman explained. "There aren't any conversations about what people are going to think. If it feels right, that's what we do.”
I call bullshit on this.

Maybe. MAYBE if they didn’t have two other series waiting in the wings they wouldn’t factor in audience opinion. The fact that they have these other series ready to go means that they need the audience to be excited about them. No way do they make a decision that would leave a bad taste in the viewer’s mouths.

They've been telegraphing Jon as the one who ends up on the Iron Throne for years. Despite all the theories floating around, I would be surprised if anyone else other than Jon wins. It’s what the viewers want and that’s how it’s going to be.

Last edited by GoldenJCJ; 05-07-19 at 08:28 AM.
Old 05-07-19, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
I’ve been hearing this quite a bit lately, but, in all honesty, the last two books weren’t that great.

Martin told a really great story in A Game of Thrones, A Clash of Kings, and A Storm of Swords, but he seems to have lost control of his story after that. And since he’s only completed one book in two decades (A Feast for Crows and A Dance with Dragons were originally supposed to be a single book) I don’t think he knows how to end his story, either.

I think people were hoping that Benioff and Weiss could cut a lot of the bloat out of the second half of Martin’s saga and deliver a solid ending, and in some ways they seem to have acccomplished streamlining the story, but they’ve rushed out the ending.
Old 05-07-19, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

GRRM was writing an episode a season, too, up until the last few when he said he didn't have the time. If he had even been able to do that, I think you'd have seen better results. The other writers and producers could have used that as a guide post.

I don't know that GRRM is as involved in these latter seasons as we'd have liked. I recall them saying that he had given them the "broad strokes" of how it ends but there are different ways to get there. Hell, it may be GRRM's way of making sure people even give a shit about the last two books by making them vary significantly in how the end is achieved. If that's the case, I wish he'd release the next book already.
Old 05-07-19, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Nefarious

I don't know that GRRM is as involved in these latter seasons as we'd have liked. I recall them saying that he had given them the "broad strokes" of how it ends but there are different ways to get there. Hell, it may be GRRM's way of making sure people even give a shit about the last two books by making them vary significantly in how the end is achieved. If that's the case, I wish he'd release the next book already.
From what they say about GRRM's writing style is he likes to change things as he writes a new story (which is normal as a writer rarely goes with his/her first draft), so the notes he gave D&D for the past few seasons will probably be different in the books anyway. Someone gave a good analogy on Social Media the other day. Let's just say George Lucas gave Rian Johnson his notes for ROTJ back in 1983 and said, "It ends with Vader being redeemed by killing the Emperor and saving Luke." Rian Johnson's version of ROTJ would be vastly different in writing/execution despite the fact that the ending would essentially be the same as Lucas from 1983. That is the way GOT's is playing out now as an outline of notes is much different than execution of a detailed story even if they have the same broad strokes.
Old 05-07-19, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,239 Likes on 825 Posts

Originally Posted by Rival11
Honestly, why would you say this? It was very entertaining and well done. Were you actually sitting there saying to yourself "This is the worst thing I've ever seen!!!!" while it was playing out??
Actually I said: "This is the worst thing I've ever not seen!"

Old 05-07-19, 10:21 AM

Received 4,511 Likes on 3,059 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777
It’ll be digitally erased on HBO streaming soon and on future releases anyway.
Yup.

HBO Edits ‘Game of Thrones’ Episode to Remove Errant Coffee Cup
https://variety.com/2019/digital/new...cdgozxZcv03jiE
Old 05-07-19, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

I’ve been hearing this quite a bit lately, but, in all honesty, the last two books weren’t that great.

Martin told a really great story in A Game of Thrones, A Clash of Kings, and A Storm of Swords, but he seems to have lost control of his story after that. And since he’s only completed one book in two decades (A Feast for Crows and A Dance with Dragons were originally supposed to be a single book) I don’t think he knows how to end his story, either.

I think people were hoping that Benioff and Weiss could cut a lot of the bloat out of the second half of Martin’s saga and deliver a solid ending, and in some ways they seem to have acccomplished streamlining the story, but they’ve rushed out the ending.
Agreed. The fact that book 3 (A Storm of Swords) was the basis of 2 great seasons of GOT (seasons 3 and 4), but virtually all of books 4 and 5 (A Feast for Crows and A Dance with Dragons) boiled down to just a single season of GOT (season 5), which is a season that I consider to be the weakest one of the entire series. Heck, D&D followed that last based-on-the-books season with season 6, one of the show's best. And even with the clunky plotting and dumb stuff in seasons 7 and 8, I still regard both seasons as superior to season 5.

If GRRM ever does finish the ASOIAF book series (doubtful at this point, IMO), I think how he ends it will be no more satisfying then how D&D have been ending the tv series. Yeah, GRRM writes better dialogue than the show's writers do, but he seems to me to be like a lot of writers who can write a great beginning and a lot of middle sections to flesh out a story, but don't seem to know how to wrap things up.
Old 05-07-19, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
Yup.

HBO Edits ‘Game of Thrones’ Episode to Remove Errant Coffee Cup
https://variety.com/2019/digital/new...cdgozxZcv03jiE

Woot! Shirts is getting in on the action:

https://shirt.woot.com/?ref=w_gh_sh_8
Old 05-07-19, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,748 Likes on 1,093 Posts

I did not miss that convo. But did you miss Jamie running down all the fucked up shit he's done "in the name of Cersei"? He's a fucked up man in an unhealthy place in terms of Cersie. No one is saying he is headed back to proclaim his love for her. But I think it's clear Cersei is a roadblock to anything good for Jamie. As long as she lives Jamie cannot function...
Old 05-07-19, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,748 Likes on 1,093 Posts

Originally Posted by T-bone22
The Night King's primary goal and reason for targeting Winterfell was to kill Bran. There was no reason to further go out of the way to "invite" him. As lame as it is, it seems all Bran was doing during the battle was being a spectator via the ravens. I'm not sure how or if he will be relevant in the events leading to the finale dealing with Cersei. I imagined that his character would have some sort of real significance to the overall story after the time spent following his long journey to becoming the 3 eyed raven. From what I'm seeing I'm not holding my breath.

Disagree.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.