Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Game of Thrones (S8E04) -- 78 minute episode -- “The Last of the Starks” -- 5/5/19

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Game of Thrones (S8E04) -- 78 minute episode -- “The Last of the Starks” -- 5/5/19

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-19, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 907 Likes on 669 Posts
Re: Game of Thrones (S8E04) -- 78 minute episode -- “The Last of the Starks” -- 5/5/19

Old 05-06-19, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts
Re: Game of Thrones (S8E04) -- 78 minute episode -- “The Last of the Starks” -- 5/5/19

Originally Posted by eXcentris
The Bronn scene was pretty much what I thought would happen. He's always been a me-first pragmatic/opportunistic guy. He was never going to kill Jaime and Tyrion but he certainly would hold Tyrion to his word "I'll double it."

But I'd like to know where the teleport pads are, if they use a spore drive, where all those ships magically get built and why armies are always the right size. They have 20,000 + Euron's ships/forces... and even after Winterfell, well... let's see... still evenly matched! So we're good to go!

I've decided to treat these last two seasons like "24", entertaining but full of ridiculous shit.

Huh? How many eps ago did Qyburn offer Bron the deal? You guys really can't imagine that he was traveling?
Old 05-06-19, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,178 Likes on 4,207 Posts

Originally Posted by Noonan
Well I guess I'll just end it here for the threads then. If my valid criticism of HBO is considered trolling now, I'll be sure to stay out of the threads for the final episodes.
Yeah, that promise didn't last too long, did it?
Old 05-06-19, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Old 05-06-19, 04:18 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

Jaime is definitely going off to kill Cersei, although probably won't be the one to get the chance.

Dani treats her dragons like I treat Bic lighters.

Fuck John Snow for not petting Ghost.

Fuck the show runners of turning the biggest badass bitch into a sniveling girly girl when Jaime runs off to kill his sister.
Old 05-06-19, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by kefrank
After last week's episode I was talking with my sister and her husband who are also fans of the show. We were spitballing that
Spoiler:
Sansa should remarry Tyrion and they should rule Westeros together. There would be something oddly poetic about a Stark and a Lannister sharing the Iron Throne.

Somehow I don't think the showrunners will go that route, but it's a nice thought.
Well that wouldn't be too impossible. They have foreshadowed it quite a bit so far. Not sure of the exact logistics though.
Old 05-06-19, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
Yeah, that promise didn't last too long, did it?
It isn't even accurate either. Season 5 is the worst season, Hardhome was the only highlight of the season. Season 6 is a great season with the Tower of Joy scenes, The Door, Battle of the Bastards and Winds of Winter.

My personal ranking would be: Season 3/4, 6, 1, 2, 8, 7, & 5
Old 05-06-19, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,193 Likes on 1,498 Posts

As a reader of the books, yeah that's perfect.

That said, I'm still enjoying the shit out of the show, I just need to turn my brain off a little more than I used to.
Old 05-06-19, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts

Sansa has been shown multiple times talking with Lord Royce from the Vale. If she consolidates the North and the Vale along with the Iron Islands and maybe the Stormlands, that is a pretty formidable claim. i still would bet on a traditional ending with Jon Snow.
Old 05-06-19, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts

Originally Posted by dvdjunkie32
Good grief, I'm already sick of hearing about the coffee cup all over the internet. People are so nit picky these days. I never notice such things.
That was a PRETTY bad one Easily 100 people saw that scene throughout the production process. It's insane that those things make it in (but they do!)
Old 05-06-19, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I didn't think the first 4 seasons were ass
Old 05-06-19, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Regarding Bronn: Smartest statement he ever made was claiming he was going to stay out of this battle. Of course, he will eventually realize that if all three Lanisters die he gets jack shit again. I expect him to show during the battle and pick a side.

Varys is backing Jon now, Tyrion APPEARS to be backing Dany. That indicates a good chance one of these two characters are going to bite it. (Probably Varys)

Dany is going to feel betrayed by Jon because he told the Starks and Jon will feel betrayed by Sansa for telling Tyrion. Dany is moving toward become the mad queen, while Sansa is becoming Cersei.

If enough main character deaths occur I can completely see Tyrion winning this thing through attrition. Euron has the biggest advantage, but him winning would be too terrible of an ending.

Wherever the Mountain goes, so does Cersei. If the Hound/Arya can kill him then the queen is done for.

Finally, notice during this episode they made a point to mention the possible allies with remaining armies. The Greyjoys and Dorne. Ellaria Sand was last seen as Cersei's captive during S7 and that was never revisited.
Old 05-06-19, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 314 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Warging the Ravens brought the Night King to where he was. That was a big deal.
Bran has said that the Night King always knows his exact location after he was "marked" (touched) by the Night King. Warging the ravens had nothing to do with bringing the NK to where he was.
Old 05-06-19, 05:12 PM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

Originally Posted by TGM
Fuck the show runners of turning the biggest badass bitch into a sniveling girly girl when Jaime runs off to kill his sister.
Yea... I feel like that scene completely betrayed everything Episode 2 accomplished. Them finally hooking up was fine. But that scene was just... yikes.
Old 05-06-19, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by boredsilly
I do wonder, seeing what I'm seeing now, if it wouldn't have made sense to have the Battle of Winterfell be the end of last season, and have this whole season be about the build up to taking/trying to take King's Landing. It feels like characters are turning on dimes, and I wish they had more time to let some stuff spool out. I like Dany feeling like she's losing a gripe on the throne, but I wish that stuff had more time to breathe. I also am really liking the Sansa stuff, but again I wish this had more time to breathe. That probably wouldn't have worked either, and really what I'm going to probably always want is another short season, or this season being extended (if not having this be a full season and then one more full season -- but then I'm just being greedy). I'm ok with things happening faster now, but it does feel like we're hoping from plot point to plot point, and not really living in this world anymore (which I really loved about those earlier seasons).
That is how I'm starting to feel too. With slight alteration, the last three episodes could've been Season 7, Episodes 8-10. But that would've been a tremendously expensive season.

Season 8 could've still been 6 episodes if that's what they felt, but it could've set up the King's Landing endgame better. I'm trying to reserve complete judgement until the finale though.
Old 05-06-19, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by T-bone22
Bran has said that the Night King always knows his exact location after he was "marked" (touched) by the Night King. Warging the ravens had nothing to do with bringing the NK to where he was.
Got that. But the warging was an actual invitation. "I'm ready for you Night King."
Old 05-06-19, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by dex14
Yea... I feel like that scene completely betrayed everything Episode 2 accomplished. Them finally hooking up was fine. But that scene was just... yikes.
I had no problem with her kinda letting her "Tough Bitch" persona down now that she finally has the other thing she wanted in life and he's leaving her...

Frankly I never would have hooked them up. OR...if I had too, I'd make her more like Arya, " Thanks for the dick, but I got shit to do now Gendry...".
Old 05-06-19, 05:44 PM

I had no problem with her kinda letting her "Tough Bitch" persona down now that she finally has the other thing she wanted in life and he's leaving her...

Frankly I never would have hooked them up. OR...if I had too, I'd make her more like Arya, " Thanks for the dick, but I got shit to do now Gendry...".
Thanks or the D, Jamie.
Old 05-06-19, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 575 Likes on 416 Posts

eh, I thought the tension between Brienne and Jaime was building for a long time, so them hooking up didn't bother me. And her reaction to him leaving also isn't problematic for me, because more time had passed than some here are considering. Jaime had stayed behind in Winterfell while the armies traveled south, precisely/presumably to be with her (and because there really wasn't much reason for him to travel south), so who knows how long they had been together. A few weeks? A few months? Dunno. But long enough that her emotional baggage could be shown.
Old 05-06-19, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by LurkerDan
eh, I thought the tension between Brienne and Jaime was building for a long time, so them hooking up didn't bother me. And her reaction to him leaving also isn't problematic for me, because more time had passed than some here are considering. Jaime had stayed behind in Winterfell while the armies traveled south, precisely/presumably to be with her (and because there really wasn't much reason for him to travel south), so who knows how long they had been together. A few weeks? A few months? Dunno. But long enough that her emotional baggage could be shown.

Yep. he had a chance a potentially normal healthy relationship/life. But Jamie leaving showed just how obsessed and fucked up he is with Cersei. Brienne didn't' have a real chance.
Old 05-06-19, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

At this point, I don't see how they'll be able to satisfyingly stick the landing for this series.

I have a feeling that it'll be one of the most reviled series finales since Lost.
Old 05-06-19, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,178 Likes on 4,207 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Needle
So sorry Miss Sandy.

She should have grabbed onto Cersei and leapt from the wall.
Originally Posted by andicus
That was certainly my though. I thought Cersei was going to push her, and that there's no reason she shouldn't have grabbed her.
I can think of one :
Old 05-06-19, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Yep. he had a chance a potentially normal healthy relationship/life. But Jamie leaving showed just how obsessed and fucked up he is with Cersei. Brienne didn't' have a real chance.
Did you miss the talk with Jamie and Tyrion? It more or less confirmed his feelings for Brienne and Tyrion told him he was happy for him.

Jamie didn't decide to leave for the south until Bronn showed up and he learned Cersei had taken a hit out on both of the brothers.

He's headed to kill Cersei and he didn't want Brienne following. He was cruel during their last talk to keep her out of harm's way. Plus, taking care of Cersei is something he wants to do all by himself (no double meaning here!).

That's how I see it, anyway.
Old 05-06-19, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 314 Likes on 201 Posts

Got that. But the warging was an actual invitation. "I'm ready for you Night King."
The Night King's primary goal and reason for targeting Winterfell was to kill Bran. There was no reason to further go out of the way to "invite" him. As lame as it is, it seems all Bran was doing during the battle was being a spectator via the ravens. I'm not sure how or if he will be relevant in the events leading to the finale dealing with Cersei. I imagined that his character would have some sort of real significance to the overall story after the time spent following his long journey to becoming the 3 eyed raven. From what I'm seeing I'm not holding my breath.
Old 05-06-19, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Ever since they started drifting apart I've always thought Jamie/Cersei would die together .. some kind of twisted romeo and juliet thing; for the time being I'm still sticking with that thought

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.