Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Game of Thrones (S8E04) -- 78 minute episode -- “The Last of the Starks” -- 5/5/19

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Game of Thrones (S8E04) -- 78 minute episode -- “The Last of the Starks” -- 5/5/19

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-19, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts
Re: Game of Thrones (S8E04) -- 78 minute episode -- “The Last of the Starks” -- 5/5/19

Wow, that was something. Will miss Missy. She was my gal.

Losing Rhagon was a sudden shock. That was well presented.

I guess I'll be the first to ask : Why didn't Cersei just open-fire? She could have had the whole battle over in a few minutes and while that would have been very unsporting, she wouldn't have lost the throne over it, right?
Old 05-05-19, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts
Re: Game of Thrones (S8E04) -- 78 minute episode -- “The Last of the Starks” -- 5/5/19

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
I think Jaime is going back to Kings Landing to kill Cersei. As is Arya. I also think Euron has his eye on the Iron Throne, as well. And now Greyworm is in vendetta mode, too. So who gets to do the deed?
Well, we had the "Who Gets to Off Cersei" poll not so long. And I agree with the overwhelming winner (Jaime).

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Those dragons are effective in battle, but they’re easy to take down.
I'm not sure how the dragon gets close to the castle now. They'll see the dragon in the sky as soon as its in range. Those giant crossbows must take some time to reload though, you'd think.
Old 05-05-19, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 236 Likes on 169 Posts

Yikes!! The look on Dany's face at the end should have burn a thousand men like dragonfire.
Old 05-05-19, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 236 Likes on 169 Posts

I knew the actress playing Gully is real-life pregnant.
Old 05-05-19, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 812 Likes on 601 Posts

I thought that was a really well crafted episode. The tension built at the end was great. I was completely expecting Cersei to fire on them. A couple shots from the dragon killer weapons would probably have ended the Dragon Queen.
Old 05-06-19, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 1,280 Likes on 731 Posts

Originally Posted by lwhy?
I thought that was a really well crafted episode. The tension built at the end was great. I was completely expecting Cersei to fire on them. A couple shots from the dragon killer weapons would probably have ended the Dragon Queen.
Yeah I think she probably would have greatly increased her odds of winning the upcoming war had she done that. Odd for her to pass up the opportunity.
Old 05-06-19, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

I swear I might end up throwing my remote through the tv if Cersei comes out on top when this is all done.

The only way I could stomach it is if the dead aren’t really defeated and the series fades to black with her sitting on the throne as the last living character, while the dead are breaking down the throne room doors.
Old 05-06-19, 12:14 AM

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

Oh yeah, one other thought. I said a week or two ago that I hoped to see Arya and The Hound team up one last time. I’m glad to see those two together.
Old 05-06-19, 01:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

So Captain cheat-code, after figuring out god-mode last season, figured out the cheat-code for unlimited ammo this episode.
Old 05-06-19, 01:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by dom56
I knew the actress playing Gully is real-life pregnant.
Yep, the double chin gave it away the first time I saw her - like two episodes ago.
Old 05-06-19, 01:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Once again our Great Hero Army didn't see the Bad Guys coming....sheesh.
Old 05-06-19, 02:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,027 Likes on 726 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Needle
So sorry Miss Sandy.

She should have grabbed onto Cersei and leapt from the wall.
That was certainly my though. I thought Cersei was going to push her, and that there's no reason she shouldn't have grabbed her.

That the c*nt, Euron, killed a dragon makes me ill. He's second on my list, after Cersei. But only after he finds out he's been had, by Cersei.

The rapid fire of the ballistas was ridiculous, and so was Dany diving toward them, for no apparent reason.

I liked the Bronn scene, and it was pretty much what we all expected.
Old 05-06-19, 02:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Needle
So sorry Miss Sandy.

She should have grabbed onto Cersei and leapt from the wall.
yep
Old 05-06-19, 03:26 AM

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Pretty obvious who sits on the Iron Throne at the end now.
Spoiler:
Sansa, though I have long thought that from the books anyway
Old 05-06-19, 03:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jon's gone full Targaryen. "Ghost? Who? Oh, that wee dog? Fuck him! I have a dragon!" Had, Jon, had a dragon. The swashbuckling pederast killed him with 3/3 shots. 3/3! Then preceded to miss about a hundred shots at Dany, and Drogon. Sigh.

Well, as I said to my wife on our first date, we've gone this far, may as well go all the way. Only two more episodes to bear. Just two. And here I was saying to myself, well I'll wait until the series is over, then I'll get the box set Bluray. Hah! I won't be even renting it. Talk about a sour taste.

Gendry gets cock blocked cos Arya's not a lady, and fuck marriage, I need to kill Cersie. Neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed! It is my destiny! Oh, and the Mountain, and Qyburn, and that one guard who tried to sneak a look at me knickers.

Jaime fucks Brienne, then **** blocks her after cos incest is much more satisfying
Bronn pops in for a chat cos everyone's too tired from the short night battle therefore, no guards. Christ, that was terrible.

Jon, you couldn't even pat Ghost on the head, give him a hug, blow him a fucking kiss?

Varys, we hardly knew ya. Treason? Burn, man, burn.

Sansa knows that if everyone believes that Jon is the legitimate King of the Iron Throne, Dany will be sent back to Daario with her dragon between her legs. Sansa makes a promise, and five minutes later, she breaks it. Unlike her Dad.

Tyrion, what has happened to you? Your useless. Not as useless as Bran, but, your close.

How did they get a hold of Miss Sandy? How? Wouldn't she have, like, tried to go in the opposite direction? And why doesn't she drag Cersie to her doom on top of that wall? And, why doesn't Cersie kill the last remaining dragon? And Dany, and all the rest? What, she has morals, now?

Her killing Missandei was her way of letting us know she miscarried. There is no bun in the oven. Euron, I'm sure, heard every word, so, he's gonna be a wee bit upset, isn't he? Wait, what? How does Tyrion know about the pregnancy? Am I a Father-To-Be? I put my finger up her bum many, many times, surely one worked.

Is Dany gonna be like Daddy, and burn them all? All the innocent men, women, and children? Will Greyworm go bugfuck cos the light of his life was beheaded? Kill all the innocent men, women, and children?

HOW MANY DOTHRAKI AND UNSULLIED SURVIVED THE SHORT NIGHT? HALF? HALF? ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING? Half the Dothraki were hiding somewhere? Where? In the Godswood trees? In the Dragon droppings? Maybe my TV wasn't calibrated right, maybe only half those Dothraki flaming swords went out.

Next episode- Jon hears about his dragon, weeps-----------for Ghost to come back.
Old 05-06-19, 06:27 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Pretty good episode after 'The Long DARK Night' Episode. I think I realized where the show is lacking in the Post GRRM books seasons. D&D just don't have the writing chops to develop something like GRRM, as everything just feels to fast. The Jaime/Brienne romance felt totally forced, where I think GRRM would have developed it better leading up to them hooking up. GRRM is great at developing/setup and than the payoff, where D&D write more with the payoff in mind and lack that setup/development. I think another example is Bronn popping in the North like James Bond, and than leaving unscathed as it just felt off to me.

I will continue to say these last 2 shortened seasons were just a bad idea (not sure if it's HBO who didn't want a 10 season big budget show anymore, or D&D just wanted to get to the good stuff and not take 10 episodes to develop a full season arc?) Only 2 episodes left but the shows feels like it ran out of gas and alot of us are just watching now to see it through, which is much different than previous seasons where it was appointment TV every week that I couldn't wait to see what happened next.

Originally Posted by melasnus
Once again our Great Hero Army didn't see the Bad Guys coming....sheesh.
That's exactly what I thought. If this were a sports team, the Manager would have been fired for some of the decisions they have made in the past 2 seasons. Those Dragons were RG3 in that playoff game a few years ago, Shanahan should have handled him with alittle more care!
Old 05-06-19, 06:36 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

It’s gonna be hard to spot the dragon at night, I expect another battle in the dark, hard to fire at the dragon that way...
Old 05-06-19, 06:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

I predict Euron will be offed by the last dragon and Jamie takes down Cersei
Old 05-06-19, 07:06 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

I bit my tongue through the terrible military tactics shown in the previous episode because, hey, it's just TV but the naval stuff in this episode was just too much. Massed sailing ships would be ramming into and stealing each others' wind well before engaging any enemy -- those things don't turn on a dime people. And a bunch of deck mounted ballistae that look like they had almost no range of motion would be no threat to a dragon once they realized they were there. Either get directly above them or behind them and you're out of danger. Then you use the one thing that still freaks out modern navies, fire, and lay waste to the entire fleet. At this point I don't want Dany to win because she's too stupid to rule much of anything.
Old 05-06-19, 07:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 916 Likes on 676 Posts

Sigh; I guess this is all we're gonna get. Spent all their CGI budget last week so they had to kill off another dragon; cause fuck the story, we have a budget line to hit! A death like we got used to commonplace, happening in almost every episode/chapter. Now we're supposed to act like this was a heart tug.

If these dragons are so damn fragile, why were they so mystical and feared in the world? Just fuckin shoot the dumb things with spears. And Jon just abandoning Ghost to ride south??? Fuck you, HBO.
Old 05-06-19, 07:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 113 Likes on 75 Posts

Yeah, I agree... Dany should've taken a different angle and burn those ships down. While I loved the surprise take down of Rhagon the aftermath was blah.

Fun episode neither the less. The Sansa stuff have been more exciting then anything else so far. She has really grown up.
Old 05-06-19, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 234 Likes on 167 Posts

Am I a horrible human being for being sadder about Rhaegal dying than Missandei?
Old 05-06-19, 08:04 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

The dragon death just killed this episode

No way they wouldn't have spotted Euron's ships from the air from a long long way out

And Euron's ships only had front mountained crossbows. Easy to fly round and attack from behind. No way Euron can change a ship's direction 180 degrees in time

Post battle scenes were disappointing. Almost no interaction with Arya and anyone else
Old 05-06-19, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

My feelings have already been represented by others. Dany going at the fleet head on instead of going in from behind, the sides, or back angles made that whole scene a ridiculous mess.

I also see it as too convenient that they are presenting it as Jamie going back to Cersei. That's what they want you to think. He's not going back to Cersei.

I think Johnnysd has it right on who ends up on the throne.
Old 05-06-19, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,205 Likes on 2,069 Posts

I think it was better than last week’s but still had its share of problems, the navel battle being the most obvious.

I think the the biggest issue with these last few episodes is that they’re just forced to move so damn fast thanks to the shortened season. Frankly, it feels like this last season should have been stretched to 2 full seasons to have a satisfactory conclusion. Instead, we get a shorted final season that just seems to rush every plot line out of necessity.

Originally Posted by dvdjunkie32
2. So much for Jamie's redemption story
Nah, that’s just a clunky way to throw the viewer off when Jamie does (yet another) reversal and offs Cersie.

Favorite line of the episode: “So which one of you cowards shit in my pants?!”

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.