Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Game of Thrones (S8E04) -- 78 minute episode -- “The Last of the Starks” -- 5/5/19

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Game of Thrones (S8E04) -- 78 minute episode -- “The Last of the Starks” -- 5/5/19

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-19, 08:56 AM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts
Re: Game of Thrones (S8E04) -- 78 minute episode -- “The Last of the Starks” -- 5/5/19

Originally Posted by fujishig
Long running shows usually have an issue with satisfactory endings. I mean, it's all leading up to something, and it just gets more and more predictable the closer we get to the end; even if this was meticulously scripted people would be complaining that the shocks just aren't there like they were in earlier seasons, when anyone was seemingly vulnerable.

Like sure, Cersei or Dany could have died in this episode, and any number of major players could have died in the last episode, but from a storytelling perspective it's going to tick off a ton of people even more if there was absolutely no purpose to following these people for so many seasons.
I don't know... I found the finale of Breaking Bad pretty predicable, but excellent in terms of execution.
Old 05-09-19, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 234 Likes on 169 Posts
Re: Game of Thrones (S8E04) -- 78 minute episode -- “The Last of the Starks” -- 5/5/19

Can't wait for next episode so I can see what Euron was looking up at the sky on the preview. Emilia Clarke posted that fans should watch episode 5 on the biggest tv screen. Is there a fourth dragon? If you watch the opening you see a large dragon and three smaller dragons. Could the large dragon be the big mamma ?

Old 05-09-19, 09:06 AM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

Originally Posted by dom56
Can't wait for next episode so I can see what Euron was looking up at the sky on the preview. Emilia Clarke posted that fans should watch episode 5 on the biggest tv screen. Is there a fourth dragon? If you watch the opening you see a large dragon and three smaller dragons. Could the large dragon be the big mamma ?

Or the big dragon represents Dany.
Old 05-09-19, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

It would be pretty disingenuous to me to introduce a fourth dragon at this point in the series.
Old 05-09-19, 09:24 AM

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by bralph
It would be pretty disingenuous to me to introduce a fourth dragon at this point in the series.
Bastard Dragon!
Old 05-09-19, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,258 Likes on 837 Posts

Originally Posted by Noonan
Now think about other series that went past 4-5 seasons, and that chart would still be accurate. 4-5 is optimal, anything more sees a drop in quality. So I surmise that even if GRRM had finished the books, we still would see an inevitable decline, although most likely not as bad.
Old 05-09-19, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Apparently Jon is Frodo and Danaerys is Gollum.

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood...-ring-of-power

I could see Jon ending up back with Tormund and ghost with the Free Folk.

And Bran is now the betting favorite to end up on the throne.
Old 05-09-19, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 575 Likes on 416 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
I will give them this : We are two episodes from the end and I literally have no idea how it's going to turn out. That is saying something. Looking back at the very best of TV and with shows like Mad Men, The Sopranos, Breaking Bad, The Americans -- two episodes from the end there may be a fate of two up in the air, but you pretty much knew where it was inevitably headed. That is really not the case with GoT and that is somewhat noteworthy.
Originally Posted by Lastblade
Actually it seems pretty predictable, they are setting up Dany as the mad queen, so she will likely do something stupid and piss off her allies. Cersei will not win because she is the main villain (it would really subvert expectation if they let her win at the end, but I give this a less than 1% probability). So that leaves Jon/Sansa/Tyrion likely to sit on the iron throne, with Tyrion being the least likely. I think it won't be Jon because he is an idiot throughout the show and will do something dumb again, either to protect Dany or to destroy her because she sacked King's Landing (which is a certainty from last episode's buildup).
So, what you're saying is that you don't know how it's going to end up. You act like it's obvious, but the best you can do is say that 2 characters won't be on the throne, and it will be one of 3. And you have your best guess. Which really just makes Decker's point, because even though you think it's "pretty predictable", you clearly don't know.
Old 05-09-19, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Lastblade
she sacked King's Landing (which is a certainty from last episode's buildup).
I don't see how sacking KL would put a dagger in her heart.
Wiping out a city's population during a siege is hardly novel.
She will have a big army and a dragon or 2 afterwards to control survivors.
Old 05-09-19, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It's easier to be less predictable when the plot is essentially a whole bunch of characters playing musical chairs with one chair. So I'm not sure comparing the "predictability" of GOT to other shows has much validity.
Old 05-09-19, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 192 Likes on 154 Posts

This article from the Ringer does a pretty good job of summing up the same thoughts that I have been having this year (and season 7). Personally, I much more enjoyed episode one and two than three and four. The articles brings up good points like why exactly did we not get to see the scene where Arya and Sansa find out Jon is not their brother. There was a point in this last episode where I legitimately questioned whether I wanted to finish the show (the arrival at Dragonstone).

https://www.theringer.com/game-of-th...quickly-pacing
Old 05-09-19, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by mwbmis
This article from the Ringer does a pretty good job of summing up the same thoughts that I have been having this year (and season 7). Personally, I much more enjoyed episode one and two than three and four. The articles brings up good points like why exactly did we not get to see the scene where Arya and Sansa find out Jon is not their brother. There was a point in this last episode where I legitimately questioned whether I wanted to finish the show (the arrival at Dragonstone).

https://www.theringer.com/game-of-th...quickly-pacing
That's pretty much it. There's a mad dash to the finish and plot and characterization suffer.

Example: If these were early seasons, Varys would have known about Euron's ambush and told Danaerys because he pretty much had intel on everything. So, what the heck happened to all his "little birds"? And without that, he's pretty much useless, aside from trading dwarf and cock jokes with Tyrion.
Old 05-09-19, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,177 Likes on 4,206 Posts

A couple of writers for the Ringer, on their Twitter show pointed out that Cersei first hinted at her pregancy midway through Season 7. So in the interval Dany and Jon went from Dragonstone to Winterfell, hatched "Bad Plan", went north of the Wall, captured a wight, went all the way South to Kings Landing, had a meeting with Cersei, went back North, got betrayed, had Jamie come up to Winderfell on his own, fought The Long Night, had a pyre for the dead, healed up (a bit), headed back South to Dragonstone, got ambushed, marshaled their remaining troops and returned to Kings Landing -- all before Cersie was showing, so like in 3 months.

Yes, it's a rush to the finish line now.
Old 05-09-19, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Seasons are all wacky in Westeros, maybe pregnancies are like 36 months.
Old 05-09-19, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

careful on the net, spoilers for the rest of the season are out there.
Old 05-09-19, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 192 Likes on 154 Posts

The point I can really point to where the show changed and characters acted out of plot expediency rather than known established characteristics is where Littlefinger didn't know anything about Ramsey Bolton in Season 5...a patently absurd thing for Littlefinger (seasons 1-4). Needless to say that was because that didn't happen in the books.

Mild book spoiler
Spoiler:
Ramsey married Jeyne Poole posing as Arya Stark.

Last edited by mwbmis; 05-09-19 at 03:00 PM. Reason: edit the book spoiler
Old 05-09-19, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Shoot, now I have to worry about book spoilers too. I have them, but I'm waiting for the series to end before starting.
Old 05-09-19, 03:17 PM

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by mwbmis
The point I can really point to where the show changed and characters acted out of plot expediency rather than known established characteristics is where Littlefinger didn't know anything about Ramsey Bolton in Season 5...a patently absurd thing for Littlefinger (seasons 1-4). Needless to say that was because that didn't happen in the books.

Mild book spoiler
Spoiler:
Ramsey married Jeyne Poole posing as Arya Stark.
Spoiler:
I know especially in the early seasons they made frequent mention of Arya being mistaken for a boy, but the idea of Ramsey being able to pass for her is absurd...

Old 05-09-19, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I wasn't that serious about the book spoilers but thanks mwbmis!

One wonderful thing about getting old is that I'm pretty sure I'll have forgotten that spoiler by the time I get to that point in the books.
Old 05-09-19, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by coli
This goes on in every franchise. And this went on before the internet as
"Before the Internet"? That applies to none of these.
I knew people who hated The Seinfeld ending way back in 1998.
me
People hated the Matrix Sequels
me
people hated George Clooney as Batman
me (well, hated the movie more than his performance, but he was miscast.)
people hated Rocky 5
me
people hated The Star Wars Prequels
me
people hated The Sopranos ending.
Ah, I bailed on that show before then because it was going nowhere.

Sounds to me like you know a lot people with good taste.
Old 05-10-19, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,177 Likes on 4,206 Posts

Just a thought here : Even though there has been somewhat of a backlash this season, assuming the finale is pretty well-received, don't you guys think this will sweep the Drama Emmys this year? We are in the final month of eligibility and I can't even think of a show to challenge it in the major categories. No more Americans, no The Crown, no Stranger Things, no Better Call Saul, no Handmaid's Tale. Most of the prestige programs this past TV year have been limited series or comedies. Seriously, I have no idea what Game of Thrones will be up against. Last year GoT was one of seven Best Drama nominees, this year only one of the other six even ran a season (This is Us).
Old 05-10-19, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Kind of weird how since the start of the show the only Emmy window they missed was between Season 6 and 7 which was 13 months between episodes, but not between 7 & 8 which was 20 months
Old 05-10-19, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
I'm waiting for the "Fans" to turn on Benioff and Weiss and call them hacks like Rian Johnson.

Unfortunately for IPs like this, which so many are deadly passionate about, unless the quality is a 10, it's a 0. Anything in between is unacceptable.
I don't want to sound like a hipster, but I have been calling them hacks for a long time. They even introduced some hacky elements in the beginning, but the book material was so strong they skated by. This show's lack of internal logic has annoyed me for a while, but I'm in it now, and I have to see how it ends.

I have avoided internet spoilers, because apparently there have been leaks. Careful out there, but the consensus out there for those who have read the leaks is...not good.