Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Willow (Disney+) - sequel series - premieres 11/30/22

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Willow (Disney+) - sequel series - premieres 11/30/22

Old 12-19-19, 08:07 PM

Received 4,513 Likes on 3,061 Posts
re: Willow (Disney+) - sequel series - premieres 11/30/22

“Solo” co-writer Jonathan Kasdan has completed a pilot script for a series based on the cult classic “Willow.”
https://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...he-mandalorian
Old 12-20-19, 12:40 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

The Brownies were the original Jar Jar, and the first sign that Lucas was creatively off the rails.
Old 12-20-19, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 946 Likes on 669 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse
The Brownies were the original Jar Jar, and the first sign that Lucas was creatively off the rails.
Unfamiliar with Return of the Jedi and Howard the Duck?
Old 01-07-20, 06:14 PM

Old 01-07-20, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 575 Likes on 419 Posts

I hated this movie back in 1980something.
So boring and terrible lyrics acted.
FX are as bad as it gets for that time period.

All of Pollack’s and the other tiny guy’s scenes were filmed on a blue or green screen separate from everything else filmed.

badly inserted in.

Watched it on D+ last month. Took me three tries to finish it all the way through.

The show can only be better.

Old 10-20-20, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,546 Likes on 2,541 Posts

https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/wil...us-1234811000/

Officially picked up to series at Disney +

Jon M. Chu is directing the Piot.

The enchanting world of “Willow,” created by George Lucas, is officially coming to the small screen.

Disney Plus has confirmed a sequel series taking place years after the events of the original Ron Howard-directed pic is heading into production next year. Howard is returning to the project as executive producer alongside original star Warwick Davis, who will once again play the titular hero Willow Ufgood.

The series has also tapped “Crazy Rich Asians” and “In the Heights” director Jon M. Chu to helm the pilot and exec produce. Jonathan Kasdan(“Solo”)and Wendy Mericle (“Arrow”) will serve as showrunners.

“Willow” the series hails from Lucasfilm and represents the company’s first non-“Star Wars” venture since 2015. The show will introduce all-new characters to the magical realm of fairy queens and two-headed Eborsisk monsters. News of the official greenlight from Disney Plus comes over a year after the project was first reported as coming down the pipeline.

The original film centered on Davis’ Willow, who reluctantly forced into playing a critical role in protecting a special infant named Elora Danan from an evil queen (Jean Marsh). A prophecy told that Elora would bring the queen’s downfall. Willow was helped along the way by a mercenary swordsman, played by Val Kilmer. It also starred Joanne Whalley, Billy Barty and Kevin Pollak.

“Growing up in the’80s, ‘Willow’ has had a profound effect on me,” said Chu in a statement. “The story of the bravest heroes in the least likely places allowed me, an Asian-American kid growing up in a Chinese restaurant looking to go to Hollywood, to believe in the power of our own will, determination and of course, inner magic. So the fact that I get to work with my heroes from Kathleen Kennedy to Ron Howard is bigger than a dream come-true. It’s a bucket-list moment for me. Jon Kasdan and Wendy Mericle have added such groundbreaking new characters and delightful surprises to this timeless story that I can’t wait for the world to come along on this epic journey with us.”

Bob Dolman, writer of the original film, serves as consulting producer, with Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy on board as an EP alongside Michelle Rejwan. Howard’s Imagine Television is producnig, with the company’s Roopesh Parekh and Hannah Friedman in place as co-executive producers. Julia Cooperman will produce.

“It’s creatively exciting to not only revisit the world and characters first conceived by George Lucas, Bob Dolman and myself but to see it take flight in such fresh, fun and cinematic ways through the imagination of Jon Kasdan and Team Willow,” added Howard. “This isn’t a nostalgic throw-back, it’s a creative lean-forward and it’s a blast to be a part of it all.”

Old 10-20-20, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts

Is the original movie on D+? Might have to watch that with the kiddos when I reup for Mandalorian, if it is.
Old 10-20-20, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,546 Likes on 2,541 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Is the original movie on D+? Might have to watch that with the kiddos when I reup for Mandalorian, if it is.
yes it is
The following users liked this post:
Michael Corvin (10-20-20)
Old 10-20-20, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 708 Likes on 516 Posts

I watched it at a revival last year and it doesn't hold up very well, mainly because of the effects at the time (which were ground breaking!). A new series might get me back if it's on par with The Mandalorian fx.
Old 10-20-20, 09:10 PM

Received 1,830 Likes on 1,089 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/wil...us-1234811000/

Officially picked up to series at Disney +

Jon M. Chu is directing the Piot.
Awesome news!

It is, and it looks pretty good. I haven't gone head to head with my Blu-ray but it looks good.
Old 10-20-20, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 306 Likes on 209 Posts

I was way into Willow when it came out. Of course, I was 10 and not very discriminating. I rewatched it when I had Disney+ for the first season of The Mandalorian and really enjoyed it, though mainly for the nostalgia. Despite some aged fx and some annoying characters, the movie packs a lot of charm into a second-rate fantasy adventure. I'm up for a series in the same universe!
The following 2 users liked this post by kefrank:
B.A. (10-21-20), Noonan (10-21-20)
Old 10-20-20, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

I imagine these will most likely not be canon. I can’t remember if I ever read all of them. Pretty sure I read at least the first one but I can’t remember anything about it.
John Pannozzi (05-26-22)
Old 10-21-20, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 193 Likes on 158 Posts

fuck yes.
Old 10-21-20, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 872 Likes on 643 Posts

Originally Posted by kefrank
I was way into Willow when it came out. Of course, I was 10 and not very discriminating. I rewatched it when I had Disney+ for the first season of The Mandalorian and really enjoyed it, though mainly for the nostalgia. Despite some aged fx and some annoying characters, the movie packs a lot of charm into a second-rate fantasy adventure. I'm up for a series in the same universe!
Same. I was also a huge fan of the NES game as a kid, even though it was pretty trash IIRC.
kefrank (01-12-21)
Old 10-25-20, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 195 Likes on 151 Posts

I enjoyed the movie at age 11 in the theater, then I tried to watch it again just a year later and it didn't click. I can still appreciate it as the last true "sword and sorcery" effort of the 80s, but it takes itself too seriously at times and aside from Kilmer most of the acting is over the top melodrama. Interesting how dated the FX look when at the time they were the best available from the best FX factory in existence.
Old 10-26-20, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom Banjo

I imagine these will most likely not be canon. I can’t remember if I ever read all of them. Pretty sure I read at least the first one but I can’t remember anything about it.
I was so excited to read these....I love Willow. These books were beyond awful. Everyone except Willow from the movies was killed in the prologue and Elora Danan is a spoiled whiny brat. They were awful. I don't recommend them to my worst enemy. Burn every copy you find.
Old 10-26-20, 09:37 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Easy pass on a series of this. The movie was fun with a very nostalgic 80’s feel, but nothing in this world makes me want to revisit it any more.
Old 10-26-20, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,389 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Originally Posted by E Unit
Easy pass on a series of this. The movie was fun with a very nostalgic 80’s feel, but nothing in this world makes me want to revisit it any more.
The movie is always a favorite of ours but it's not really deep. Most of it's charm comes from Warwick Davis and Val Kilmer. The series would have to invent some deep worldbuilding to make it sustainable.

Which leads to...

Originally Posted by mewmartigan
I was so excited to read these....I love Willow. These books were beyond awful. Everyone except Willow from the movies was killed in the prologue and Elora Danan is a spoiled whiny brat. They were awful. I don't recommend them to my worst enemy. Burn every copy you find.
That's disappointing and bizarre. Did they not want to pay royalties on the other characters or something?
Old 10-26-20, 12:32 PM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts

Every time I see this thread I think it's about, well, Willow TV, and wonder why it's not in the Sports Forum.

Old 10-26-20, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by mewmartigan
Truth. If anyone is even remotely curious about picking them up with this renewed interest listen to mewmartigan. I didn't make it past the first book. I finished it but it was beyond fucking awful. So, so, bad.
Old 11-30-20, 01:09 PM

EXCLUSIVE: Ellie Bamber (Nocturnal Animals), Cailee Spaeny (The Craft: Legacy) and Erin Kellyman (Solo) are in negotiations for the three female leads in Willow, Disney+ and Lucasfilm’s upcoming TV series follow-up to the 1988 fantasy movie, with the film’s star Warwick Davis reprising his title role, I have learned. The new incarnation of Willow comes from Jonathan Kasdan, who wrote the pilot and serves as co-showrunner alongside Wendy Mericle; Jon M. Chu, who will direct the pilot episode; the original film’s director Ron Howard and writer Bob Dolman; as well as Lucasfilm, which produced the movie. A rep for Disney+ declined comment.

The Willow movie, written by Dolman from a story by George Lucas, starred Davis as a reluctant farmer who leads a ragtag crew on a quest to protect a special baby from a tyrannical queen who vows to destroy her.

The series, which marks Lucasfilm’s first venture into non-Star Wars storytelling since 2015, will take place years after the events of the film. It introduces all-new characters to the enchanted realm of fairy queens and two-headed Eborsisk monsters, and welcomes back its hero Willow Ufgood (Davis).

No additional details about the series’ storyline have been released. According to circulated casting information for the series, it revolves around a group on a mission to save a kidnapped prince. The members of the team include Dove (Bamber), whose backstory resembles that of Willow from the movie. Dove is an unassuming kitchen maid who proves she is the “chosen one” as she embarks on the journey. She is joined by Kit (Spaeny), the princess whose twin brother was abducted. She is destined to be a leader and ultimately the queen. Kellyman plays Jade, a servant who is Kit’s best friend and moral compass. She is on her way to becoming the best young warrior in the kingdom. Also part of the group is a guy who echoes Val Kilmer’s character in the movie. A thief and liar, he joins the quest in exchange for getting out of prison.

Chu serves as executive producer alongside Kasdan, Mericle, Howard and Lucasfilm’s Kathleen Kennedy and Michelle Rejwan. Dolman is a consulting producer. Roopesh Parekh and Hannah Friedman are co-executive producers; Julia Cooperman is a producer.

The series is slated to film in Wales, where much of the original film was shot.

Willow reunites Kellyman with Lucasfilm, Kasdan and Howard after co-starring in Lucasfilm’s Solo: A Star Wars Story, directed by Howard and co-written by Kasdan. The series also brings back together Brits Bamber and Kellyman who co-starred together on BBC’s Les Misérables.

Spaeny recently headlined The Craft reboot, The Craft: Legacy. Her feature credits also include Pacific Rim: Uprising, On the Basis of Sex and Vice. On TV, she co-starred on the FX on Hulu limited series Devs and will next be seen in another limited series, HBO’s Mare of Easttown. She is repped by WME, Identity Agency Group and Hansen Jacobson Teller.

Kellyman appears as Enfys Nest, leader of the rebel Cloud Riders, in Solo: A Star Wars Story. She also has been rumored for a key role on another high-profile upcoming Disney+ series, Marvel’s Falcon and the Winter Soldier. Kellyman is repped by CAA, Curtis Brown and Lucy Popkin.

Bamber earned awards recognition for her lead role in High Resolution. Her feature credits also include Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, The Nutcracker and the Four Realms and Extracurricular Activities. She is repped by UTA and Curtis Brown.
https://deadline.com/2020/11/willow-...es-1234609142/
Old 12-01-20, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 91 Likes on 58 Posts

I wonder if "Dove" turns out to be Elora Danan since they cast a redhead. If not, I'll hold out hope they can snag Karen Gillan.
Old 12-01-20, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 60 Likes on 43 Posts

I keep hoping for news that Kilmer will be back, but none the less I'm rather looking forward to this series. There's alot of potential in the story for great things but it could really go either way with how much care they put into it or if they just wanna make a quick buck.
Old 12-01-20, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by MR Round
I keep hoping for news that Kilmer will be back, but none the less I'm rather looking forward to this series. There's alot of potential in the story for great things but it could really go either way with how much care they put into it or if they just wanna make a quick buck.
They’ll have to dub his voice then.
Old 01-11-21, 02:38 PM

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.