Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Dead to Me (Netflix) -- S: Christina Applegate, Linda Cardellini; EPs: Ferrell, McKay

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Dead to Me (Netflix) -- S: Christina Applegate, Linda Cardellini; EPs: Ferrell, McKay

Old 04-29-19, 09:07 AM

Jen (Christina Applegate) is a sardonic widow determined to solve her husband's recent hit-and-run murder. Judy (Linda Cardellini) is an optimistic free spirit who's recently suffered her own tragic loss. When the two women meet at a support group, they become unlikely friends despite their polar-opposite personalities. But as they bond over bottles of wine, Entenmann's cookies and a shared affinity for The Facts of Life, Judy desperately tries to shield Jen from a shocking secret that could destroy her life as she knows it. Dead to Me, created by Liz Feldman (2 Broke Girls, One Big Happy), is an addictive dark comedy that dives into the painfully unfiltered, weirdly funny waters of grief, loss and forgiveness.

PRINCIPAL CAST INFORMATION:
∑ Christina Applegate as Jen
∑ Diana Maria Riva as Ana
∑ Ed Asner as Abe
∑ James Marsden
∑ Linda Cardellini as Judy
∑ Luke Roessler as Henry
∑ Max Jenkins as Christopher
∑ Sam McCarthy as Charlie

CREW INFORMATION:
∑ Adam McKay as EP
∑ Amy York Rubin as EP/DIR (Pilot)
∑ Christina Applegate as EP
∑ Jessica Elbaum as EP
∑ Liz Feldman as CRTR/EP
∑ Will Ferrell as EP
10 episode first season premieres 5/3/19.
Old 04-29-19, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: Dead to Me (Netflix) -- S: Christina Applegate, Linda Cardellini; EPs: Ferrell, McKay

this actually looks pretty good.. in for a few...
Old 04-29-19, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Dead to Me (Netflix) -- S: Christina Applegate, Linda Cardellini; EPs: Ferrell, McKay

Fan of Christina's so I'll definitely catch it.
Old 05-04-19, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga

Watched just the first episode this morning. If they implied what I think they did with that ending, this is going to get interesting REAL quick!
Old 05-04-19, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

We watched the same last night, first episode. Very well done, we’ll definitely watch the rest.
Old 05-04-19, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I finished it. I really liked it. Great acting, especially by our two leads. Hope it gets picked up for another season.
Old 05-04-19, 02:32 PM

Enjoyed the first episode, as I like dark/awkward humor-drama type shows (If Will Ferrell is the producer than it will get dark/awkward in a good way). I wish more shows were a 1/2 hour as you can breeze through these seasons, as sometimes it's a chore watching the 1 hour dramas.
Old 05-05-19, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I really enjoyed the wit in episode one. Like a David Mamet or Shane Black script. It made me laugh out loud. That surprised me because I didnít really look forward to watching it.

Doesn't feel like like a show to binge. But I will watch it over a few weeks.
Old 05-08-19, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga

Just finished the first season. WOW, did Christina Applegate do a fantastic job! I'd be surprised if she wasn't nominated for an Emmy next time around.
Old 05-11-19, 06:08 PM

Up to Episode 6 and really lovin the show, not a bad episode yet!
Old 05-11-19, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by The Infidel View Post
Just finished the first season. WOW, did Christina Applegate do a fantastic job! I'd be surprised if she wasn't nominated for an Emmy next time around.
Yup. Applegate is fantastic in this. As was Cardellini.

I found this to be a little predictable and a bit contrived. But it was still really, really good. And highly enjoyable. The writing and the two leads pull it off.

Last edited by dex14; 05-13-19 at 02:58 PM.
Old 05-13-19, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by The Infidel View Post
. WOW, did Christina Applegate do a fantastic job! I'd be surprised if she wasn't nominated for an Emmy next time around.
What do you think this will be classified under for the Emmy's/Golden Globes? Drama? Comedy? What do they do when it's a mixture of both.

Old 05-13-19, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by coli View Post
What do you think this will be classified under for the Emmy's/Golden Globes? Drama? Comedy? What do they do when it's a mixture of both.
It would be considered a Comedy. Episodes are 30 minutes, which is currently the definition of a Comedy in their rules. Now there are times when hour-long shows have petitioned for consideration as a Comedy and been granted it (Marvelous Mrs Maisel, Shameless last year), but I don't think any 30 minute program has yet been considered a Drama for Emmy consideration. Will be interesting to see if Amazon's Homecoming becomes the first.