Game of Thrones (S8E03) -- 82 minute episode -- “The Long Night” -- 4/28/19

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Game of Thrones (S8E03) -- 82 minute episode -- “The Long Night” -- 4/28/19

Old 05-03-19, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Game of Thrones (S8E03) -- 82 minute episode -- “The Long Night” -- 4/28/19

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
I'm in the minority in that I felt the darkness added to the feel of a vicious Night War with elements of Horror. Shit, they were in a castle... No LED lights. Outside of the castle...no streetlights. I felt it worked. I watched on HBO Go, Roku, on an older VIZIO flatscreen and saw everything just fine.
Same here. I enjoyed how the darkness mimicked the fog of war and fueled the chaos and ambiguity of the battle. Didn't once think the episode felt overly dark, and I was watching it on a seven-year old Panny plasma with a bit glare from the late-afternoon sun.
Old 05-04-19, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

"Winter is Coming" - is that something brought on by the return of the Night King, or is it just the normal seasons for the North? Is winter still coming?
Old 05-05-19, 02:20 AM

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

Pretty sure winter is still coming, it’s just that with the variable seasons in this world, this upcoming long winter would allow the Dead further south than a shorter winter.

It really doesn’t make much sense. Like, has this world been in autumn for several years now? Or do they have regular mini-seasons with each mini-winter building up to big winter? If not, how do they even measure what a year is?
Old 05-05-19, 03:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,026 Likes on 725 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom Banjo
Pretty sure winter is still coming, it’s just that with the variable seasons in this world, this upcoming long winter would allow the Dead further south than a shorter winter.

It really doesn’t make much sense. Like, has this world been in autumn for several years now? Or do they have regular mini-seasons with each mini-winter building up to big winter? If not, how do they even measure what a year is?
I think it's a pretty complex question.

First, regardless of how their seasons work, their year will still be one orbit of their star. Our seasons don't determine our year, our position in our orbit around the sun does.

I would assume their seasons work like ours, i.e. their planet is tilted, resulting in different seasons due to its position in its orbit.

However, if they're farther away, their year would be longer, but you get into the problem of the habitable zone. If they're too far away, it would be too cold for liquid water. If they're too close, it would be too hot for liquid water. But, if a star was hot enough, the orbit could be great enough that a year would take a lot longer than ours.

I think it could also get really complicated if the period of precession (i.e. the planet wobbling on its axis. Ours is 26 000 years) was short enough, and they had a highly elliptical orbit. I'm sure there could be a model that would support shorter seasons, but with a greater overall seasonal effect.

Old 05-05-19, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,719 Likes on 1,876 Posts

The seasons in A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones do not match the astronomical calendar, and their summers and winters tend to last longer than normal. At the start of the series, they are in a long summer and there is a reference to Bran, who was seven, never having seen a winter.

I believe that GRRM has gone on the record that the screwy seasons in his Known World are “not scientific in nature” and he would explain why in one of the remaining books.
Old 05-05-19, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 648 Likes on 470 Posts

Originally Posted by jpcamb
Also the Night king was a Tygarian and that is why fire did not kill him.
The Night King is a "First Man" who originated on Westeros. The Targaryans came from Valyria in Essos. The dragon fire did not kill the Night King due to the extreme cold he radiates. It's the same with the White Walkers. The wights are simply animated bones and tissue so can burn easily.

Originally Posted by Noonan
Right but the NK knew Jon was coming up on him from a good distance away. How they didn't think to use the obvious idea of her using the face of a White Walker to make that scene happen is beyond me.
While she might be able to use the face of a wight (what I thought might happen) there's no way for her to get the face of a White Walker as they shatter into ice fragments when killed.
Originally Posted by eXcentris
The show has dumped logic in favor of story for the past 2 seasons. So the story now drives the characters actions instead of the other way around. Ep 2 was a master class at what GOT is good at, ep 3 was the opposite.
I agree.
Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Not even close she did. Go back and watch the creation of the Night King scene again. They stabbed him in the upper chest. Arya stabbed him in the abdomen where his armor separated.
Originally Posted by dex14
They specifically say in the behind the scenes video she stabs him in the same spot. I don't disagree that it didn't look the same... but this is what they said.
I think they're doing some quick retconning to explain something that doesn't really need explanation. It's already been established that he can be killed with Dragon Glass or Valeryan Steel. No one said it had to be in a specific body location.
Originally Posted by whotony

That comment had me confused as well.
I think Draven meant that Arya stabbed him at the same location as when he was created not the same spot on his body.
That makes more sense but still doesn't connect to anything established in the show.
Originally Posted by Unclejosh
...Do they "master" these shows on such high end properly calibrated equipment (most likely in 4K then down-converted) that what looks ok to them, looks like crap once it is broadcast over cable or streamed on lower end systems? I don't know enough about the technical aspects of video production but seems weird that some people had zero to little issues and others called it unwatchable.
That's it exactly. They failed to vet the episode on standard consumer equipment and didn't take into account that the vast majority of people purchase a TV, take it home, connect it, watch stuff, and have no idea about proper calibration. They're content with how it comes or the presets offered.

Decades ago audio producers made a point to listen to records on small consumer radios as that's how the majority of people would listen to their work. It hurt the final product but made it listenable to the majority of their customers.

That these guys failed to do that one simple test is the height of arrogance and a failure to the customers. It doesn't matter that some people had no issues. What matters is that a large number of people did.

FWIW: I could see everything I felt I was meant to see and still felt it was too dark.
Originally Posted by LurkerDan
...for me it just got boring. Endless dragon flight and battle scenes where you can't see anything just got boring. It stopped being suspenseful or full of horror after a bit and just became almost comically dull.
Same here except I never found any of it suspenseful or full of horror. It was a lame zombie movie done GoT style with a similar, and expected, Deus Ex Machina ending.

I'd rank it as the worst episode of the series. It hit all the notes it needed to hit to wrap up this story line. Hopefully they'll do better on the last 3 episodes.

Hopefully they'll see fit to address the brighness/darkness issue on the discs - but based on the comments of the "cinematographer" I doubt it will happen.
Old 05-06-19, 12:03 AM

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by andicus
I think it's a pretty complex question.

First, regardless of how their seasons work, their year will still be one orbit of their star. Our seasons don't determine our year, our position in our orbit around the sun does.
My brain was too locked into real physics mode. It of course makes perfect sense that their axial tilt wouldn’t work the same way as ours does within one orbit. I just had to see the idea written out. Surely the maesters are advanced enough to have easily been able to figure out how many days are in a year just from star positions and such.
Of course, this is all still too scientific, cuz MAGIC.
Old 05-06-19, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

Old 05-06-19, 04:53 PM

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts

Old 05-06-19, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 309 Likes on 211 Posts

I made it about 1:00 into that video. The brightened version looks utterly awful IMO.

Old 05-07-19, 12:38 PM

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by kefrank
I made it about 1:00 into that video. The brightened version looks utterly awful IMO.
I agree. Somewhere in the middle would be the sweet spot for me.
Old 05-07-19, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,257 Likes on 837 Posts

I rewatched the episode with the backlight set to 50 and it was better but still too dark. I went back and checked the rtings video, and the advice was "14 for average lit room, but 50 for HDR content". Most people woudn't know HDR requires more brightness. That said, most people probably do not have HDR capable gear.
Old 05-22-19, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Has anyone rewatched this recently? I originally watched it on a standard 1080p display in a not totally dark room through HBO NOW on a Roku. It definitely seemed too dark in many spots.

I watched it again this week on my main display - LG OLED 4K properly calibrated in a dark room, also on a Roku from HBO NOW. I didn't having any trouble with perceived darkness this time.

While it's certainly possible my display was handling it better, I have to wonder if HBO did update this to be a little lighter.
Old 05-22-19, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Waiting on the final season blu-rays to re-watch the whole thing.
I really like the in-episode "guides" that fill you in on the world's details and back-stories.
Old 05-22-19, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
Has anyone rewatched this recently? I originally watched it on a standard 1080p display in a not totally dark room through HBO NOW on a Roku. It definitely seemed too dark in many spots.

I watched it again this week on my main display - LG OLED 4K properly calibrated in a dark room, also on a Roku from HBO NOW. I didn't having any trouble with perceived darkness this time.

While it's certainly possible my display was handling it better, I have to wonder if HBO did update this to be a little lighter.
I watched it on Amazon initially via my Sceptre 40" 4K and didn't have any problems seeing the episode.