Game of Thrones (S8E03) -- 82 minute episode -- “The Long Night” -- 4/28/19

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Game of Thrones (S8E03) -- 82 minute episode -- “The Long Night” -- 4/28/19

Old 04-30-19, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Re: Game of Thrones (S8E03) -- 82 minute episode -- “The Long Night” -- 4/28/19

Originally Posted by dex14
They specifically say in the behind the scenes video she stabs him in the same spot. I don't disagree that it didn't look the same... but this is what they said.
Dex, I thought the same thing during the post-episode wrap-up (that it wasn't even close). Seems like a detail they should have paid more attention to.

Maybe they just meant "general area" (i.e., the upper body). Also, I do not recall a scene where Bran ever told anyone where the NK was stabbed.
Old 04-30-19, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by andicus
I don't know this guy, but if he thinks compression wasn't a problem, he doesn't know what he's talking about.

It may not have been the only problem (although it was, for me), but it was definitely A problem.
I watched it in 4K and it looked like shit. I turned up my gamma to see things better but to say I don't know how to calibrate my TV is bullshit.

I think the intent was to make us feel like we were in the battle with everyone but that didn't really work here.
Old 04-30-19, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by The Infidel
Too much nitpicking.

The fictional girl pulled a Winter Soldier move and stabbed the ice zombie with a knife made of an imaginary metal, causing him to shatter and all his zombie cohorts to fall down dead. Meanwhile, dragons.

Any extended evaluation of these story points is silly. Kick back, turn off your brain, and enjoy.
And I would be with you if it was just "to kill the NK, stab him with dragonglass / valerian steel". Instead it was "you need to stab him where he was first created." THEY made it a plot point. So it's not really applicable to say "kick back and enjoy."
Old 04-30-19, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 80 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by jfoobar
In all fairness, one of the reasons why GoT is so hugely popular is because viewers have not needed to turn off their brains for most of the series.
But, you have to admit there have already been many things happen in this series that would make a thinking person lose their mind, if it weren't for the ability to just say "okay, that just happened", and carry on with the story as if everything happening was perfectly normal. Now we're debating about whether the place on his body where she stabbed him should have been effective or not. Girl stab zombie. Zombie die, take all zombies with him. Done.

I loved this episode, and can't wait for the next one. The only way this series can disappoint me is if they pull a Sopranos ending. That possibility aside, I'm good with anything that happens.

Last edited by The Infidel; 04-30-19 at 10:37 AM.
Old 04-30-19, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
And I would be with you if it was just "to kill the NK, stab him with dragonglass / valyrian steel". Instead it was "you need to stab him where he was first created." THEY made it a plot point. So it's not really applicable to say "kick back and enjoy."
Okay, so we can say he was created in his torso, and she stabbed him in his torso. Fixed.

Last edited by The Infidel; 04-30-19 at 10:39 AM.
Old 04-30-19, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 182 Likes on 147 Posts

I loved this episode, and can't wait for the next one. The only way this series can disappoint me is if they pull a Sopranos ending. That possibility aside, I'm good with anything that happens..
How about an ending where this is all just a flash dream that Bran had while he was falling before he hit the ground.
Old 04-30-19, 10:25 AM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

He sure is bitching hard right now.
it will be interesting to see how the episode looks when the 4k UHD comes out (probably next year).
Old 04-30-19, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Okay, so we can say he was created in his torso, and she stabbed him in his torso. Fixed.
I guess you can talk to DB and DW about that.
Old 04-30-19, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Eric F

it will be interesting to see how the episode looks when the 4k UHD comes out (probably next year).
I am definitely in for the complete series in 4K (S1 looks incredible even though it was finished in 2K DI).
Old 04-30-19, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mwbmis
How about an ending where this is all just a flash dream that Bran had while he was falling before he hit the ground.
Well, I'm assuming GRRM has already written all of the stories, so if that's how he wrote it...(shrugs shoulders)
Old 04-30-19, 10:41 AM

Received 4,517 Likes on 3,065 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric F

Honestly... I wouldn't be surprised if they slightly digitally correct and re-release on HBOGO.
Old 04-30-19, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,244 Likes on 828 Posts

I loved this episode, and can't wait for the next one. The only way this series can disappoint me is if they pull a Sopranos ending. That possibility aside, I'm good with anything that happens.
And since most hardcore GOT fans probably think that way, that's the problem right there. The increasingly silly things that have been happening the past couple of seasons are viewed as "who cares, it's GOT!". However, if that's the stance you're gonna have, you've lost the right to brush off valid criticism as "nitpicking".
Old 04-30-19, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Game of Thrones’ Battle of Winterfell: 2 military experts explain Jon and Dany’s sloppy plan

It wasn’t as bad as you think. It was worse.

https://www.vox.com/culture/2019/4/3...rfell-military
No shit.
Old 04-30-19, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by eXcentris
And since most hardcore GOT fans probably think that way, that's the problem right there. The increasingly silly things that have been happening the past couple of seasons are viewed as "who cares, it's GOT!". However, if that's the stance you're gonna have, you've lost the right to brush off valid criticism as "nitpicking".
And now you're nitpicking my right to an opinion. Whatever, man.
Old 04-30-19, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

[h1]

No shit.
I remember having these same thoughts, and I don't have large battle expertise. I'm glad the creators thought their tactics "looked cool", but it made me think that every living person deserved to die for being such an idiot.
Old 04-30-19, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

And now you're nitpicking my right to an opinion. Whatever, man.
You said "I'm good with anything that happens.". That pretty much means your "nitpicking" comments should be ignored. What you have an issue with is not nitpicking, it's logic.
Old 04-30-19, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I agree militarily it was a bad plan but keep in mind the whole plan was to get the NK to come to Bran and everyone else could have been considered expendable.
Old 04-30-19, 11:54 AM

Received 4,517 Likes on 3,065 Posts

UPDATED, 8:34 AM: The linear numbers for Games of Thrones‘ hand-to-hand- and sword-to-sword-filled “The Long Night” episode Sunday scored the second best numbers for the series on HBO ever. With HBOGo and HBO Now numbers added in, the third episode of the Emmy-winning series’ eighth and final season is now the most-watched GoT and most-watched HBO series in the history of the WarnerMedia-owned outlet.

Topping the previous record of the Season 8 “Winterfell” opener of April 14, “The Long Night” snagged 17.8 million viewers over all platforms and with two linear airings. That bested the “Winterfell” episode by 3% in gross audience — a win is still a win not matter how close.
https://deadline.com/2019/04/game-of...zWSWMZhukCyEOA
Old 04-30-19, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts

Topping the previous record of the Season 8 “Winterfell” opener of April 14, “The Long Night” snagged 17.8 million viewers over all platforms and with two linear airings. That bested the “Winterfell” episode by 3% in gross audience — a win is still a win not matter how close.
Maybe this is why so many streamers were reporting crappy picture quality (in addition to the intentional darkness in most of the scenes). Perhaps the bitrates on some streams were reduced due to bandwidth restraints.

I was streaming on the Amazon Prime's Roku app, and as far as I know, there's no way to easily check what bitrate you're receiving, unlike Netflix.
Old 04-30-19, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 873 Likes on 644 Posts

Could have been part of it but my picture was garbage via DirecTV as well.
Old 04-30-19, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,749 Likes on 1,094 Posts

They specifically say in the behind the scenes video she stabs him in the same spot. I don't disagree that it didn't look the same... but this is what they said.

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Dex, I thought the same thing during the post-episode wrap-up (that it wasn't even close). Seems like a detail they should have paid more attention to.

Maybe they just meant "general area" (i.e., the upper body). Also, I do not recall a scene where Bran ever told anyone where the NK was stabbed.

I think they mean he was stabbed at the same LOCATION...or type of Tree... where he was created. NOT the same exact torso area.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 04-30-19 at 01:49 PM.
Old 04-30-19, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

[h1]

No shit.
To me , that just adds to the realism. They had pretty much no time to prepare, facing incredible odds, lots of chaos and confusion. Pretty much like real life war where things don't go according to plan. Didn't really matter if the Doratki charged them or waited for them to charge first. They were going to get swamped and swallowed by the sheer mass anyways.
Old 04-30-19, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by dvdjunkie32
To me , that just adds to the realism. They had pretty much no time to prepare, facing incredible odds, lots of chaos and confusion. Pretty much like real life war where things don't go according to plan. Didn't really matter if the Doratki charged them or waited for them to charge first. They were going to get swamped and swallowed by the sheer mass anyways.

I agree. The darkness made it more hopeless and scary to me.
Old 04-30-19, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by dvdjunkie32

I think they've been preparing this whole time. But I think that since it wasn't shown, viewers assume there weren't ready. But the dragonglass barriers, fire moat around Winterfell, etc all indicate they were as prepared as they could be against a supernatural enemy
Old 04-30-19, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Joe Schmoe
Disappointed. So was this Gamespot reviewer, and I pretty much agree with what he had to say: https://www.gamespot.com/articles/ga.../1100-6466520/
I largely agree with this article. Even setting aside relatively minor logical inconsistencies and the "tood dark" complaints, the episode arguably betrays the main idea that made GoT interesting. (If I do say so myself), I've been saying for years that arguably the main point of GoT is that human squabbling and infighting is useless, that instead the true enemy is death. Death, in the form of the Night King, is gathering strength on the edge of the frame while this pointless bickering went on. That set up fantastic tension for the show. Also, the Night King (as was shown in the show) was created by the Children of the Forest to "erase" Man. He's a tool of revenge created by folk who ultimately regretted their creation. By sucking any real personality out of the Night King beyond being a Generic Bad Guy and by having the Night King go out with such comparatively low cost, the show has forgotten about these far more interesting takes on basic heroic fantasy. The show has reverted to tropes. Having Cersei as your final boss mean that the squabbling is what mattered after all. It's just far less interesting.

Also, the idea that this episode should have began with the Night King winging down to the Red Keep and torching Cersei is a great one! That would make the entire Long Night a meaningless feint. What a shock that would have been and it would fit thematically with the show.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.