Game of Thrones (S8E03) -- 82 minute episode -- “The Long Night” -- 4/28/19

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Game of Thrones (S8E03) -- 82 minute episode -- “The Long Night” -- 4/28/19

Old 04-29-19, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Game of Thrones (S8E03) -- 82 minute episode -- “The Long Night” -- 4/28/19

Originally Posted by WCChiCubsFan
Overall a good episode, once engaged in battle they had to finish the Night King storyline in one episode so they could refocus on the iron throne. There are simply not enough minutes left to drag out the Night King story line.
Seeing how they wrapped the story up, I certainly wouldn't want to see the Night King story dragged out, so even though I can't say I care for how things went, I'm glad this is out of the way. For as large of an impetus the white walkers have been for the events of this story, as characters on the show, they're pretty flat and bland. They're more instruments used to propel the characters we care about to do things, but as entities themselves they're more like a coming storm (and in this way they've worked) than an actual opposing side full of people we're interested in.

Originally Posted by Hiro11
Regardless of the existence of fantastical elements, the show has always had strong internal logic to the way the world of GoT works: the limitations of people, the limitations of dragons, the limitations of witches. This logic was hugely important because it lent a sense of real weight to the characters and their struggles: you knew no one was a super hero and thus everyone was in real danger. That logic has increasingly gone out the window in the latter seasons, in my opinion to the detriment of the tension in the show. The appeal of GoT to me was thinking about the logic of this horrible world and these horrible people. The show is arguably about those "rules of the game". Recently, the show has become less about thinking and more about "whoa, look at that, that's cool". I completely respect that, but it is a change.
I've had this feeling for the last few seasons even if I still enjoy the show. I think what has happened is as the story began to set up its endgame and final stretch of narrative, it began to adhere more to the tropes of the genre that it circumvented earlier on. That isn't a "bad" thing, but it has made the story feel different to me.
Old 04-29-19, 03:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whoever mentioned in last episodes thread that Tyrion knew everyone would survive was spot on.
In the scene around the hearth he mentioned that "ya know, I think we'll all live", was said with the insider information confidence given to him from his chat with Bran.
Old 04-29-19, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kefrank
Or perhaps they banked on the world building they've already done, spending multiple seasons building up Arya's skills as a crafty and deceptive assassin, and gave the audience some credit that it shouldn't be necessary to spell out whatever specific tactic Arya used to mount a surprise attack against the Night King.
I mean, they also had a lengthy scene of her sneaking around ridiculously quiet in the castle too, in this same episode.

Apparently even quieter than her blood dripping on the floor (when she gets away from the one looking for her under the table).

Assumption is that she snuck out and hid somewhere until they got there.

Would have been cool/bad ass to see her take a deathly quiet 5 second run of 10 feet or whatever to get the jump on him, but whatever.
Old 04-29-19, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 237 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
"Game of Thrones" is only famous for killing off characters unexpectedly because the audience THINKS they are important. Ned, Rob, Catelyn, Cersei's children, Margery, etc. deaths were shocking but those characters were unnecessary to the overall story. And those deaths helped propel the characters who will survive to the final moments.
I never bought the idea that Ned Stark's death was unexpected, or that it somehow "proved" that no one was safe. Ned's beheading is the catalyst that starts the main story. It's completely necessary.
Old 04-29-19, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Really? To me how the story sets up Ned to be our hero and protagonist only to have him be beheaded and not saved at the last second felt pretty unexpected to me. Sorta like Janet Lee in Psycho. And for people who didn't read the books, casting Sean Bean in the lead role, only to have him killed off before the end of the first season added to that shock IMHO.

But, you may say, Sean Bean dies in everything...to which I will say...you have a point there.
Old 04-29-19, 04:35 PM

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

A couple of questions:

Did Arya ever get the dragonglass weapon she asked Gendry to make for her?
Who is the leader of house Mormont now?
Old 04-29-19, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,258 Likes on 837 Posts

The show has dumped logic in favor of story for the past 2 seasons. So the story now drives the characters actions instead of the other way around. Ep 2 was a master class at what GOT is good at, ep 3 was the opposite.
Old 04-29-19, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,258 Likes on 837 Posts

Originally Posted by JackoOnHisBacko
A couple of questions:

Yes, Gendry had it in his pants.
Old 04-29-19, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts

A couple of questions:

Yes, she used it for most of her kills - it was the spear with a dragonglass tip that split in two so she could have a weapon in both hands.

Originally Posted by boredsilly
Really? To me how the story sets up Ned to be our hero and protagonist only to have him be beheaded and not saved at the last second felt pretty unexpected to me. Sorta like Janet Lee in Psycho. And for people who didn't read the books, casting Sean Bean in the lead role, only to have him killed off before the end of the first season added to that shock IMHO.
The notable actor was a good misdirect for non-book readers but my point is that the audience THINKS it's Ned's story and it's not - it's Jon and Danys and Arya and Cersei and Tyrion's story. It's the "next generation's" story. Which means that all of those characters are safe because they all have a role to play going forward. I don't think they are going to kill Jon or Cersei before the end because they need to be there at the end. Someone has to make it to the conclusion - they can't kill everyone and just have like Varys and Bronn standing there like "now what" at the end.

Now, I could totally see notable people dying at the story's conclusion - but this battle wasn't that.
Old 04-29-19, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Originally Posted by karoomba
Whoever mentioned in last episodes thread that Tyrion knew everyone would survive was spot on.
In the scene around the hearth he mentioned that "ya know, I think we'll all live", was said with the insider information confidence given to him from his chat with Bran.

Raises hand.
Old 04-29-19, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,014 Likes on 838 Posts

A couple of questions:

I thought that was the spear/bo stick she was using.

House Mormont may have gone the way of House Umber.
Old 04-29-19, 04:57 PM

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by GreenMonkey
I mean, they also had a lengthy scene of her sneaking around ridiculously quiet in the castle too, in this same episode.

Apparently even quieter than her blood dripping on the floor (when she gets away from the one looking for her under the table).

Assumption is that she snuck out and hid somewhere until they got there.

Would have been cool/bad ass to see her take a deathly quiet 5 second run of 10 feet or whatever to get the jump on him, but whatever.
Yeah, but screaming as she jumped was not a good call by her
Old 04-29-19, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by blairwitchfan
Yeah, but screaming as she jumped was not a good call by her
She needed him to turn. She stabbed him right where the Children stabbed him,
Old 04-29-19, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is the name of that YouTube show with an attractive lady with big uns that analyzes GoT episodes?
Old 04-29-19, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The notable actor was a good misdirect for non-book readers but my point is that the audience THINKS it's Ned's story and it's not - it's Jon and Danys and Arya and Cersei and Tyrion's story. It's the "next generation's" story. Which means that all of those characters are safe because they all have a role to play going forward. I don't think they are going to kill Jon or Cersei before the end because they need to be there at the end. Someone has to make it to the conclusion - they can't kill everyone and just have like Varys and Bronn standing there like "now what" at the end.
Fair point. I do think a lot of the appeal of GoT has been, "Oh you think this is that kinda story? Well you're wrong, it's this kind of story" story telling, because before he was killed you could say this was Robb Stark's story too.
Old 04-29-19, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

Had to change my tv settings to be able to see.

Enjoyed the episode but was disappointed a bit. Sorry, but Sam and Grey Worm surviving was fucking ridiculous. Just a total disregard of logic. Also the Arya kill was cringe. Her taking the face of a white walker to get close to the Night King would've played way better than her Air Jordaning.
Old 04-29-19, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts

Sa
Originally Posted by karoomba
Tyrion seemed pretty unsure in the crypt when Sansa pulled out the dagger as if to contemplate suicide. Maybe he could have saved a few lives in the crypt by I dunno maybe saying something about Bran seeing the dead coming back and killing the women and children in the crypt and not having them in there like sitting ducks.
Old 04-29-19, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Fair point. I do think a lot of the appeal of GoT has been, "Oh you think this is that kinda story? Well you're wrong, it's this kind of story" story telling, because before he was killed you could say this was Robb Stark's story too.
Sure, except Robb didn't have that much backstory either - he was just Ned's heir. Jon was the character with the mysterious past. I'll admit that it was shocking to see Robb's death (and as a book reader, I thought it was extremely shocking - the whole thing takes place a little faster IIRC so you're not quite sure what happened.) But the more I thought about it, the more it made sense because ultimately his King in the North stuff needs to go to Jon since he's the Dany connection. He just had more places to go than Robb did.
Old 04-29-19, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Sure, except Robb didn't have that much backstory either - he was just Ned's heir. Jon was the character with the mysterious past. I'll admit that it was shocking to see Robb's death (and as a book reader, I thought it was extremely shocking - the whole thing takes place a little faster IIRC so you're not quite sure what happened.) But the more I thought about it, the more it made sense because ultimately his King in the North stuff needs to go to Jon since he's the Dany connection. He just had more places to go than Robb did.
Robb never had a POV chapter in any of the books which was telling in hindsight.
Old 04-29-19, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by chowderhead

Robb never had a POV chapter in any of the books which was telling in hindsight.
Interesting, who were you following in the book to get his stuff? Catelyn?

I was confused last night because for a second it looked like Greyworm deserted his men and turned chicken, and that is definitely not his MO. I know the unsullied were protecting the retreat, so was he just behind the troops instead of in the front, and then at one point ran to get behind the trench? Also, did he close the trench with some of the unsullied still on the other side? It was so hard to see, I just didn't know what happened there.
Old 04-29-19, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

Awesome episode. Just 82 minutes of pure mayhem.

And I don't get the complaint for those who thought the episode looked like shit, which made it a bad episode. Totally disagree. I think they tried to make you feel like you were in the heat of battle with them. It was dark, cold and miserable conditions. In this instance, adding extra lighting where you could see everything would have decreased the authenticity. Yeah you can't see everything that's going on, but if you were them fighting for your life in say real life with those conditions, you couldn't see shit either. It's a matter of opinion I guess for those who don't enjoy that style of filmmaking, but it worked for me.

Arya coming in at the last moment to kill the Night King was goofy, but a good moment for the character. They've foreshadowed since season 1 that Arya was going to be a badass warrior since she was a little girl in training and I thought this was her moment.

Last edited by DJariya; 04-29-19 at 07:00 PM.
Old 04-29-19, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Disappointed. So was this Gamespot reviewer, and I pretty much agree with what he had to say: https://www.gamespot.com/articles/ga.../1100-6466520/
Old 04-29-19, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,014 Likes on 838 Posts

Not a book reader, but I felt I knew Jon a lot better than I knew Robb before Ned died.
Old 04-29-19, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Interesting, who were you following in the book to get his stuff? Catelyn?

I was confused last night because for a second it looked like Greyworm deserted his men and turned chicken, and that is definitely not his MO. I know the unsullied were protecting the retreat, so was he just behind the troops instead of in the front, and then at one point ran to get behind the trench? Also, did he close the trench with some of the unsullied still on the other side? It was so hard to see, I just didn't know what happened there.
Yeah, Robb's story is just sprinkled throughout the books so he was a background character even if he was the heir to the Stark family.

I think they showed the Unsullied to be fearless, killing machines - selected and trained to be unstoppable, unthinking soldiers who follow every command. But now, Greyworm has something to live for in being with Missandei so perhaps he froze during the fighting. It's a typical solider/military theme in battle. I think they needed the trenches to be lit and some of the unsullied took a torch and sacrificed themselves to try and light the trenches but Greyworm hesitated and didn't sacrifice himself to his mission in that scene probably because of Missandei.
Old 04-29-19, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.