Game of Thrones (S8E03) -- 82 minute episode -- “The Long Night” -- 4/28/19

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Game of Thrones (S8E03) -- 82 minute episode -- “The Long Night” -- 4/28/19

Old 04-29-19, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts
Re: Game of Thrones (S8E03) -- 82 minute episode -- “The Long Night” -- 4/28/19

Originally Posted by bralph
Well, all of those previous characters WERE important, until they weren't anymore... As Noonan mentioned, ever since the show has not had the books blueprint to follow, characters would be much more likely to get a last-second-save than get taken out. For example, the show has gone out of its way to say that Jamie is not half the fighter he used to be since he lost his hand, but that hasn't stopped him from surviving how many battles now?
not really, as in the books, only Ned and Catelyn got POV (main character) chapters and Catelyn was brought back in the books. The fact is that the books are not finished and many of the characters killed off on the show are still alive in the books and GRRM has added many more. We have no idea if GRRM would have kept everyone alive as on the show but he has brought back some while others are still in limbo for the next book.
Old 04-29-19, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 871 Likes on 642 Posts

Jon got POV chapters as well. Last thing GRRM wrote was him being killed; only for the show to bring him back asap since he was a fan favorite.
Old 04-29-19, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 987 Likes on 818 Posts

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
FN hilarious when he ran by Sam, saw that he was totally fucked, and kept going past him.
I loved that. First smart thing Jon has done in the whole series.

i thought he might soar through the air and lop off the dragon’s head, but I like the fact that he didn’t do that or even make it to help Bran.
Old 04-29-19, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Loved it all. Especially the part where Arya used the Rey maneuver from The Last Jedi to kill the Night King.

I'm actually surprised Brienne and Tormund survived, but I ain't complaining.
Old 04-29-19, 12:59 PM

Received 4,511 Likes on 3,059 Posts

Not to pile on but... I didn't have too much of an issue with the darkness on my TV... I'm watching the Inside The Episode stuff on my work computer now... shiiiiit. The footage looks terrible.
Old 04-29-19, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Noonan
Jon got POV chapters as well. Last thing GRRM wrote was him being killed; only for the show to bring him back asap since he was a fan favorite.
books are not finished but it seems likely the show followed the outline given by GRRM with regards to bringing back Jon.

The writing of the last two books in my opinion was meandering and added a lot more characters and they still don’t have all the piece moved to the right places .... just more side characters added. The show is far from perfect but neither are the books to be honest.
Old 04-29-19, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by chowderhead

books are not finished but it seems likely the show followed the outline given by GRRM with regards to bringing back Jon
I consider the books finished until there's an actual release date and cover art. Plus, by the time HBO wrote his resurrection, there was enough time for them to see the outcry of book readers who liked him plus the fact that he polled VERY well with the show's audience. IMO, he was brought back purely due to fan outcry; not because GRRM wanted or planned it.
Old 04-29-19, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

As it's all sinking in still lot of complaints from me. The directing in a LOT of places sucked, way to close to the action to see it properly that annoyed the crap out of me. Then some of you mention GRRM hasn't wrote the books out this far and writing suffers. For me Arya getting the kill literally out of no where , was the "writers" going oh hey GRRM said she does it in the books, we have to throw that in there we almost forgot. But lot of it was EPIC in scale and what not. I'm torn as a whole though I think looking back.
Old 04-29-19, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I consider the books finished until there's an actual release date and cover art. Plus, by the time HBO wrote his resurrection, there was enough time for them to see the outcry of book readers who liked him plus the fact that he polled VERY well with the show's audience. IMO, he was brought back purely due to fan outcry; not because GRRM wanted or planned it.
r+l= j has been the guess of many book readers for years and the show confirmed it. GRRM would not have killed the main character without this story arc being completed. The cliff hanger ending of a book in a series does not mean the main character is dead. It just means he hasn’t finished the books yet.
Old 04-29-19, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by chowderhead

r+l= j has been the guess of many book readers for years and the show confirmed it. The cliff hanger ending of a book in a series does not mean the main character is dead. It just means he hasn’t finished the books yet.
Exactly. They took the easy way out and gave fans what they wanted. Much easier to write when fan theories have most everything covered for you already. As I mentioned earlier; HBO has been considering fans since day 1 of them writing (Jon coming back and beyond), whereas GRRM was writing his books to tell the story he wanted, not the story fans wanted to read. Just coincidence that literally right after the book story ended a major, fan favorite character comes back to life? They brought Cat back in the books but that was only during an Epilogue and she was a dis-formed zombie. Never to be heard from again in the books (to date).
Old 04-29-19, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,107 Likes on 1,447 Posts

Eh, I enjoyed it, it was a fun ride. But yeah, it was dark as hell, I had my lights off and some things were still hard to make out. But other than that, the quality was decent and not much artifacting, which I was surprised about considering all the darkness, snow and clouds, my stream was pretty good in that regard at least.

Originally Posted by jpcamb
How do you think Stephen King Dark Tower fans feel after the shit show of a movie we got after 20 years?
Forget the movie (which I had no desire to see), the last several books, especially the last one, were a huge disappointment for a story I had been following since I was a teenager. Ugh!

​​​​​​​
Old 04-29-19, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Exactly. They took the easy way out and gave fans what they wanted. Much easier to write when fan theories have most everything covered for you already. As I mentioned earlier; HBO has been considering fans since day 1 of them writing (Jon coming back and beyond), whereas GRRM was writing his books to tell the story he wanted, not the story fans wanted to read. Just coincidence that literally right after the book story ended a major, fan favorite character comes back to life? They brought Cat back in the books but that was only during an Epilogue and she was a dis-formed zombie. Never to be heard from again in the books (to date).
the books are not ended. the story isn’t finished so we only have what GRRM and the show has done. It you want to play this game, at this point in the books everyone is still alive in the books (Jon is stabbed but not confirmed dead) and he has added many more characters while on the show they have killed Stannis, Freys, Boltons, Catelyn, Rickon, Hodor, Theon, Jorah, Littlefinger, Mance, Benjen, Margaery, her brother and all of Tyrells, Tommen, Marcella, high sparrow, the characters in Dorne and many more. All of these characters are still alive in the books and more still. Shame on GGRM for not culling more chacters.

Last edited by chowderhead; 04-29-19 at 01:59 PM.
Old 04-29-19, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 306 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by cultshock
Eh, I enjoyed it, it was a fun ride. But yeah, it was dark as hell, I had my lights off and some things were still hard to make out. But other than that, the quality was decent and not much artifacting, which I was surprised about considering all the darkness, snow and clouds, my stream was pretty good in that regard at least.
​​​​​​​
I'm not sure how much the client side bandwidth has been playing into other people's experiences, but I have gigabit fiber and my smart TV uses wired ethernet and the HBO Now stream looked excellent with very little artifacting for me. It was certainly dark, but that was a production choice, not a symptom of potential streaming issues.
Old 04-29-19, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

I'm just glad I still have a big plasma TV in my basement setup. As soon as I saw how dark this episode was going to be I bailed on the bigger LED and scuttled downstairs to enjoy some nice, dark black levels. Still looked a bit washed out but a much better overall experience. And if this series ends with anything less than the full fury of the wounded and decimated victors being brought to bear on the back-stabbing Southerners I'm going to be pissed. I want to see the filthy and disheveled Northern army lay waste to King's Landing and establish the new kingdom in Winterfell. Of course I fully expect them to puss out but a boy can dream.
Old 04-29-19, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 306 Likes on 209 Posts

Sure, that could be it. But we'll never know because of how they filmed it. Seeing that would have added A LOT however it also would have made it obvious how it was going to end, even though it was already kinda pointed out when Red Witch mentioned her killing blue eyes. This is a show which is usually overflowing with detail and world building. Leaving all that out so the audience didn't know she'd be there is mickey mouse writing tactics.
Or perhaps they banked on the world building they've already done, spending multiple seasons building up Arya's skills as a crafty and deceptive assassin, and gave the audience some credit that it shouldn't be necessary to spell out whatever specific tactic Arya used to mount a surprise attack against the Night King.
Old 04-29-19, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 94 Likes on 65 Posts

After watching this season's three episodes, I now vote for my new favorite to sit on the Iron Throne at the end:

Spoiler:

With a collection of "big women" as the new Kingsguard!
Old 04-29-19, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,606 Likes on 1,005 Posts

Originally Posted by kefrank
Or perhaps they banked on the world building they've already done, spending multiple seasons building up Arya's skills as a crafty and deceptive assassin, and gave the audience some credit that it shouldn't be necessary to spell out whatever specific tactic Arya used to mount a surprise attack against the Night King.
^ This. Everything Arya went through was for this moment.
Old 04-29-19, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 209 Likes on 185 Posts

I'm not sure how much the client side bandwidth has been playing into other people's experiences, but I have gigabit fiber and my smart TV uses wired ethernet and the HBO Now stream looked excellent with very little artifacting for me. It was certainly dark, but that was a production choice, not a symptom of potential streaming issues.
Same here. I watched it on HBO GO about 9pm Central, and while it was dark, I didn't have any problem making things out and there were no artifacts to speak of. Of course, I have a 65" 4K set, -my old LCD got problematic with GOT when the set was on its last legs. I know where people are coming from, though, since it was Thrones and a few other "dark" shows that pushed me to get the 4K. Funny enough, the only show I have PQ problems with is "Cloak and Dagger", which has all kinds of artifacts and banding ( I think that's what it's called) issues for me.
Old 04-29-19, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by coli
You do realize that there are fans out there who don't care about The Avengers, so it's not a golden age of cinema for everyone.

I thought the plot point of the White Walkers was essentially uneccessary and side tracked the show, and was there just to give a certain part of the fanbase a 'wow' episode.

Again, sorry if I don't share your love for this episode and The Avengers. It's cool that you love both, but don't call out people like me for not loving it as I'm not jaded as the last season has been a different show than the previous 6 seasons.
Yeah people are acting like Endgame was the greatest thing ever. I found it kind of dull, and really not that epic with lots of issues.

The White Walkers ARE really the story of ASOIAF but the GOT show has not done as well with them as the books. The wall, Night's Watch, North are all really about the White Walkers so it could not really be taken out. I thought the episode was OK. WAY too dark, I think it would have been way more visually exciting in daylight maybe moving into dusk for the end. Best scenes were really in the crypt, especially Sansa and Tyrion. Not sure how it would exactly get there, but
Spoiler:
the scenes with Sansa and especially the "split your loyalties" line could be foreshadowing Tyrion and Sansa sitting on the Iron Throne. Sansa's arc in the books makes this a very real possibility, its not Cersei and at the end of the day Dany and John are both Targs
. Ending was predictable, Bran is poorly realized. Did feel very TV-ish in that none of the really major characters died. I suspect that GRRMs version of this battle will be much different, complex and nuanced. Show has fallen off since it eclipsed the books, but I still like it, and way more than any Marvel property. I will some day rewatch every episode of GOT, I will never see Endgame again.
Old 04-29-19, 02:30 PM

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts

Umm there is ZERO doubt of Jon coming back in the books either. ZERO
Old 04-29-19, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Jon coming back was almost assuredly the plan for the books also. GRRM brought Mellisandre to the Wall for a reason.
Old 04-29-19, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by johnnysd
Umm there is ZERO doubt of Jon coming back in the books either. ZERO
At this point, of course. It’s been written. But I don’t believe GRRM had that in mind when he wrote the kill scene for the book, however many years ago that happened.
Old 04-29-19, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

At this point, of course. It’s been written. But I don’t believe GRRM had that in mind when he wrote the kill scene for the book, however many years ago that happened.
You may be the only person who has read the books that thinks that.
Old 04-29-19, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,107 Likes on 1,447 Posts

Actually in my case, I was surprised it looked as good as it did, I get HBO through Crave (Canadian cable/streaming service) and the Crave stuff usually doesn't look as good as Netflix and Amazon Prime does for me, so if anything I was pleasantly surprised. I realize that the darkness was a production choice, but it was a choice that could exacerbate iffy streaming quality, but luckily didn't really do so for me.
Old 04-29-19, 03:22 PM

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Gunde
It was a cool scene. But seriously, they knew what was coming, how many they were and what they could do. Was the best tactic really to just sent the entire horse horde riding into the darkness??
I'll have to rewatch the scene. Was there an officially an order to charge or maybe the Doraki was just too battle hungry that they took off on their own ambition?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.