TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Game of Thrones (S8E03) -- 82 minute episode -- “The Long Night” -- 4/28/19

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-19, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 230 Likes on 158 Posts
Re: Game of Thrones (S8E03) -- 82 minute episode -- “The Long Night” -- 4/28/19

Originally Posted by Tom Banjo
I’m amazed at some of these comments. This was fucking great. If you can’t appreciate getting something like this and Endgame in the same weekend, then you must be jaded as hell. No, it wasn’t perfect, but it’s clear we’re living in a golden age of cinema, and I for one am going to enjoy it as much as I can.
Dont forget Cobra Kai. This was one hell of a week to remember.
Old 04-29-19, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 102 Likes on 70 Posts

This was me for most of the battle scenes:

Old 04-29-19, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This show has become more Avengers than Game of Thrones. Spectacle and flash trump real drama. We've entered a consequence-free zone of plot armor, Deus ex Machina, cheap kung fu "this guy attack... now that guy attack" fight staging and super-powered heroes.

Don't get me wrong, I still enjoyed the episode. It was certainly fun to watch and effective in building dread. Still, my favorite parts of GoT are people sitting around talking, not spectacle. It depends what you want out of the show. I much preferred last week's episode, others probably preferred this week. So be it.

Last edited by Hiro11; 04-29-19 at 11:33 AM.
Old 04-29-19, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts

Originally Posted by spainlinx0
I thought this episode was absolutely garbage. Terribly filmed and zero sense to their battle strategy. Yay cool Arya got him. Apparently she gained the power of teleportation out of nowhere because it makes no sense how she got there, but at least it looked cool, unlike the rest of the foggy quick cut overly dark rest of the episode.

They foreshadowed her ability to sneak up on folks(john) an episode or so ago...She started heading to the Tree after the witch got her back on track. While she was moving to that position, we were shown other parts of the battle. It's not hard to see her making it to the tree like she did.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 04-29-19 at 11:36 AM.
Old 04-29-19, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
They foreshadowed her ability to sneak up on folks(john) an episode or so ago...
There's sneaking up on your unsuspecting brother than there's somehow being able to get through a ring of dozens (hundreds?) of zombies, slipping by a dozen of the NK's generals and somehow leaping up to kill at precisely the right moment. Looked great, makes absolutely no sense. Arya has apparently become a super hero.
Old 04-29-19, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Hiro11
There's sneaking up on your unsuspecting brother than there's somehow being able to get through a ring of dozens (hundreds?) of zombies, slipping by a dozen of the NK's generals and somehow leaping up to kill at precisely the right moment. Looked great, makes absolutely no sense. Arya has apparently become a super hero.
I edited my comment before I saw this. See above. But yeah...according to the post show video, they knew 3 years ago she would take out the Night King. We've been seeing her evolution this whole time setting her up to do this.

So yeah...Super Arya
Old 04-29-19, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 914 Likes on 674 Posts

They foreshadowed her ability to sneak up on folks(john) an episode or so ago...
Right but the NK knew Jon was coming up on him from a good distance away. How they didn't think to use the obvious idea of her using the face of a White Walker to make that scene happen is beyond me. I almost feel like whoever wrote this episode never read the books or was told by HBO structure it this way.

Not a single main/named character has been killed since we moved past the books and Jon was brought back (I don't consider any of the deaths from the episode to be main, even Jorah). I don't care about Cersei; this was the fight the story has always been building up to and was spoken about as far back as the prologue in GoT. The tag line is Winter is Coming; not Crazy Queen Lanister is Coming. Not only should the battle with the NK been the final resolution to the story but the fight should have been devastating at a character level. Now they either have to end it with everyone alive, wrapped up with a nice bow or try to explain why/how a battle with people in much smaller numbers is more lethal than an un-winnable battle against 100k+ undead soldiers.
Old 04-29-19, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 102 Likes on 70 Posts

Anyone have a GOOD reason why the White Walkers didn't simply use Bran for target practice with their ice spears? it's not he was going to get up and run away ...
Old 04-29-19, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

There's enjoying a show about Dragons, dead returned to life, witches resurrecting people multiple times, and worging into animals/humans and then there's peoples panties in a bunch because a trained assassin was able to sneak around in her childhood home.

Old 04-29-19, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Cusm
There's enjoying a show about Dragons, dead returned to life, witches resurrecting people multiple times, and worging into animals/humans and then there's peoples panties in a bunch because a trained assassin was able to sneak around in her childhood home.
In an earlier scene we saw that the walkers were sensitive enough to hear blood dripping on the ground and ID where it was coming from. Then Arya off-screen somehow got to the Godswood and past the White Walker generals without being heard? She would have had to stand directly in front of all of them to jump at the NK the way she did.
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Kmical
Anyone have a GOOD reason why the White Walkers didn't simply use Bran for target practice with their ice spears? it's not he was going to get up and run away ...
For you, probagbly not...

But seriously..

The last 3eyed Raven was killed the same way. He was in the vines and incapacitated and the Night King walked right up and slashed him. It was personal.
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Don't get me wrong, I still enjoyed the episode. It was certainly fun to watch and effective in building dread. Still, my favorite parts of GoT are people sitting around talking, not spectacle. It depends what you want out of the show. I much preferred last week's episode, others probably preferred this week. So be it.
I agree,Blackwater is still my favorite battle episode because it was a nice balance between fighting and character moments, Cersei and Tyrion were especially great in that episode. Hardhome was amazing and unexpected, but that battle only happened in the last 20 minutes of the episode.
Old 04-29-19, 11:49 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I thought this episode was absolutely garbage. Terribly filmed and zero sense to their battle strategy. Yay cool Arya got him. Apparently she gained the power of teleportation out of nowhere because it makes no sense how she got there, but at least it looked cool, unlike the rest of the foggy quick cut overly dark rest of the episode.
Oh Jesus.

It wasn't terribly filmed. It was meant for it to be difficult to see.

Of course their battle strategy sucked. Imagine that. Their plan didn't unfold right. Shocking.

We have certainly never, ever - I mean ever saw Arya move stealthy and in ways that other characters can't.

Old 04-29-19, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Noonan
In an earlier scene we saw that the walkers were sensitive enough to hear blood dripping on the ground and ID where it was coming from. Then Arya off-screen somehow got to the Godswood and past the White Walker generals without being heard? She would have had to stand directly in front of all of them to jump at the NK the way she did.

SHE WAS HEARD. The one WW turned his head. I feel like the NK was so focused on Bran, she had to get really close to for him to feel her.

PLOT ARMOR ACTIVATE!! Maybe the "alert but no fucks given about arya approaching given" WW was looking to move up and take the NK's position?
Old 04-29-19, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by albert_m
Oh Jesus.

It wasn't terribly filmed. It was meant for it to be difficult to see.

Agreed. The darkness added greatly to the tension for me.

Of course their battle strategy sucked. Imagine that. Their plan didn't unfold right. Shocking.
Yep. Danny fucked up the plans when the Dothraki horde was slaughtered. Everyone else had to vamp to cover for her going rogue.
Old 04-29-19, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

SHE WAS HEARD. The one WW turned his head. I feel like the NK was so focused on Bran, she had to get really close to for him to feel her.

PLOT ARMOR ACTIVATE!!
Oh right; that one general had his hair move slightly; implying that Arya is basically the wind now. Her whole training was based around hiding/moving around in plain sight. That's the point of being a faceless.

And yeah, every single character strapped on their best plot armor this week. Even fucking Sam who should have died 100x over during the episode. I'm now convinced that HBO had no fucking clue what made this book/story so compelling to the audience. Sadly, GRRM is probably just phoning it in for the checks at this point and letting them end it how they want.
Old 04-29-19, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,259 Likes on 837 Posts

I gotta say, I'm pretty disappointed as well. First off; I'm fully eating my words about Arya after ep1 and I'm glad that's the case. The library scene had her like Solid Snake.

I see that I'm not alone about the picture quality. Even with all the lights out, this was a compressed mess. A show with this level of production value deserves 4k/HDR treatment. I agree with the poster who mentioned that it was like a FMV scene from an old PS1 game. Are we just getting spoiled?

For the show itself, I feel it was a complete cop-out. No one of importance died. In the scale of GoT battles, this was one of the tamest even though it was supposed to be the fight for Humanity. I'll tip a 40 for the Dothraki but that's about it. And that was no issue since there weren't any named characters in their group. We didn't get to see any war tactics at all. Pure mayhem from the get. Tyrion and Sansa were reduced to two people who were too useless to even fight? As cool as the Arya scene was, I really hope they somehow try to explain it all. IMO it could have been done other ways which showed off her training and would have been more enjoyable. The war which has been built up since literally the prologue of book 1, was neatly and quickly resolved in one episode.
I pretty much agree with all of this. Big battles have ever been GOT's forte, just not enough $$$ to pull off the scale. I mean, you have to be fucking blind to write this in a review:

The tension builds until the battle breaks out, and after that it's a non-stop thrill-ride for a good half an hour, with director Miguel Sapochnik able to shimmy around budgetary constraints while delivering a visual feat.

Seriously? The night is full of... something... I dunno, it's hard to make out because we can't see shit, so let's add a blizzard to that "visual feat". So, the gut wrenching moments never came, and the few deaths of secondary characters just felt like "hey we have to at least kill a couple...". And this greatest of threat, built up for 7 seasons, is eradicated in one crappy episode, by a superhero girl appearing suspended in mid air who kills the Night King. Blah...

I shoudn't have rewatched ep 2 right before this, because I went from one of the greatest GOT episodes to arguably the worse. I'm sure that didn't help my mood.
Old 04-29-19, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by outcastja
I agree,Blackwater is still my favorite battle episode because it was a nice balance between fighting and character moments, Cersei and Tyrion were especially great in that episode. Hardhome was amazing and unexpected, but that battle only happened in the last 20 minutes of the episode.
The same guy who did Blackwater did this ep. Jus sayin...
Old 04-29-19, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

The anger and hand wringing over this ep is better than the ep.
Old 04-29-19, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

But Blackwater was a book battle. Big difference than having to write all the story as well.
Old 04-29-19, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The anger and hand wringing over this ep is better than the ep.
Hey man, I've been waiting 20+ years for this battle. I expected a lot and got FAR less.
Old 04-29-19, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

All I could think of during the battle was Howard Stern is going to be bitching about how dark the episode was and he couldn't see anything.
Old 04-29-19, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,259 Likes on 837 Posts

I should have known, the battle scenes in Blackwater were completely underwhelming. Stop doing big fucking battles, you just don't have the $$$ and/or the skill to pull them off.
Old 04-29-19, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

But Blackwater was a book battle. Big difference than having to write all the story as well.
If you say so. I'm a mouth breather who didn't read the books. So me can only take word from you. < heavy breathing >
Old 04-29-19, 12:02 PM

Received 4,579 Likes on 3,099 Posts

No he didn't. That was Neil Marshall.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.