Reload this Page >

Game of Thrones (S8E03) -- 82 minute episode -- “The Long Night” -- 4/28/19

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Game of Thrones (S8E03) -- 82 minute episode -- “The Long Night” -- 4/28/19

Old 04-29-19, 01:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Game of Thrones (S8E03) -- 82 minute episode -- “The Long Night” -- 4/28/19

Originally Posted by Tom Banjo View Post
I’m amazed at some of these comments. This was fucking great. If you can’t appreciate getting something like this and Endgame in the same weekend, then you must be jaded as hell. No, it wasn’t perfect, but it’s clear we’re living in a golden age of cinema, and I for one am going to enjoy it as much as I can.
Agreed. I'm sensing some mouthbreathing territory. Haven't in a while. Either that, or some members are being really fucking obtuse on this shit. Yay, the characters you thought were going to die didn't, and by that note, the episode sucked. Give me a break.
Old 04-29-19, 01:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Jeremy517 View Post
There are two ways, and the dagger is of the other. It is Valyrian Steel not Obsidian.
Really? Totally missed that explanation. I thought it was obsidian and fire only.
Old 04-29-19, 01:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I think the crypt opening up with the dead was neat but no Ned Stark wielding his severed head were to be seen.
Old 04-29-19, 02:01 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

This episode gets a solid B from me.

Many of the scenes looked like shit while streaming. The compression artifacts, particularly when they were flying through the storm, were terrible. It looked like something out of a 1990s video game cut scene. I wonder how it'll look on the blu-ray release.

The Dothraki went out like little bitches. What a waste of a major part of the first few seasons.

The scene with Arya in the library was pretty intense. My favorite part of this episode.

Old 04-29-19, 02:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by funkyryno View Post
This episode gets a solid B from me.

Many of the scenes looked like shit while streaming. The compression artifacts, particularly when they were flying through the storm, were terrible. It looked like something out of a 1990s video game cut scene. I wonder how it'll look on the blu-ray release.

The Dothraki went out like little bitches. What a waste of a major part of the first few seasons.

The scene with Arya in the library was pretty intense. My favorite part of this episode.
Melisandre did give them an assist but they couldn't come through.
Old 04-29-19, 02:11 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

The Night King has been plotting this for years. Staying mostly hidden and out of sight. But now he's suddenly a rash idiot and decides to just waltz in somewhere he KNOWS they have weapons to defeat him.
Why not just wait outside while the white walkers and wights kill everyone, then move in for Bran?
So dumb. What a waste of build-up.
Old 04-29-19, 02:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Gunde View Post
the Night King has been plotting this for years. Staying mostly hidden and out of sight, but now he's suddenly a rash idiot and decides to just waltz in somewhere he KNOWS they have weapons to defeat him.
Why not just wait outside while the white walkers and wights kill everyone, then move in for Bran?
So dumb.
Um, that's what he did.

Old 04-29-19, 02:13 AM

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
Um, that's what he did.

He did? Is that why everyone inside survived?
The white walkers did fuck all. They were much more efficient and deadly at Hardhome.
Old 04-29-19, 03:07 AM

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
Really? Totally missed that explanation. I thought it was obsidian and fire only.
There was that time at Hardhome that Jon killed one of the White walkers with his Longclaw that Mormont gave him.

This was a good episode. I don’t care if it was implausible. I am glad that almost everyone made it out alive. This was just as believable as everyone surviving the Lord of Rings battles like at Helm’s deep.

Yes, reward the fans because whatever ending/outcome has been planned out with be criticized so give us a happy ending please especially for the Starks who have suffered so much.
Old 04-29-19, 03:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by bill needle View Post
here it is in slow motion:

the greatest post in forum history
Old 04-29-19, 04:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by funkyryno View Post
It looked like shit via my DVR recording AND on-demand for me. I thought maybe it was my tv, but there were large swaths of the episode that I just couldn't tell what was going on. The darkness in concert with the fog just made this a very bad viewing experience for me.

I don't know if it is because I'm still basking in the glow of Endgame or what, but this episode was a major disappointment for me. Quality of the visuals aside, I just didn't buy this battle being the thing we've been building to all these seasons. Every major battle from the show has trumped this for me. There weren't a bunch of cool character moments from it that I will remember, save for the Little Queen felling the giant maybe? Once the battle took the castle the scale shrunk again, which isn't a bad thing in and of itself, but it just didn't feel like it was a part of this massive battle. And for a story that built itself on subverting expectations, the fact that only b-tier characters died outside of Jorah felt kinda wack to me as well. I'm still with the show, and looking forward to the fallout, but this episode was the pits.

ETA: Forgot about Theon getting got, so two bigger characters in him and Jorah getting axed.

Last edited by boredsilly; 04-29-19 at 04:51 AM.
Old 04-29-19, 05:42 AM

Personally I thought it was pretty boring and probably the least interesting episode of GoT I’ve seen. But I’m not particularly interested in fight scenes and mostly watch the series for dialogue and character development.
Old 04-29-19, 05:53 AM

I’m amazed at some of these comments. This was fucking great. If you can’t appreciate getting something like this and Endgame in the same weekend, then you must be jaded as hell. No, it wasn’t perfect, but it’s clear we’re living in a golden age of cinema, and I for one am going to enjoy it as much as I can.
You do realize that there are fans out there who don't care about The Avengers, so it's not a golden age of cinema for everyone.

I thought the plot point of the White Walkers was essentially uneccessary and side tracked the show, and was there just to give a certain part of the fanbase a 'wow' episode. I'm not going to nitpick about this and that regarding the episode like others, as I'm looking big picture. The next 3 episodes are what I care about is that is what the show was built on: Cersei vs Jon/Dany and who get's the Game of Thrones? That episode played out EXACTLY like The Walking Dead episode in it's latter years where it killed alot of 'B' characters, and ended up having movie cliches like Arya coming in and saving the day (sorry, but I saw that coming a mile away). Game of Thrones has been a great show but the last 2 seasons built up to that and it was ultimately irrelevant in the grand scheme of things. Yes, their army is depleted so Cersei has the advantage now but the White Walkers were played up much more than that. I will go out and say that the whole White Walkers subplot could have been nixed and the show would have been just as great, as the last season could have focused on everyone picking sides in the final battle for The Game of Thrones. I've been down on the show for the past year, but I'm really looking forward to the next 3 episodes as I wish there were 10 episodes to cover this final battle between all of the players.

Again, sorry if I don't share your love for this episode and The Avengers. It's cool that you love both, but don't call out people like me for not loving it as I'm not jaded as the last season has been a different show than the previous 6 seasons.

Last edited by coli; 04-29-19 at 06:00 AM.
Old 04-29-19, 06:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I gotta say, I'm pretty disappointed as well. First off; I'm fully eating my words about Arya after ep1 and I'm glad that's the case. The library scene had her like Solid Snake.

I see that I'm not alone about the picture quality. Even with all the lights out, this was a compressed mess. A show with this level of production value deserves 4k/HDR treatment. I agree with the poster who mentioned that it was like a FMV scene from an old PS1 game. Are we just getting spoiled?

For the show itself, I feel it was a complete cop-out. No one of importance died. In the scale of GoT battles, this was one of the tamest even though it was supposed to be the fight for Humanity. I'll tip a 40 for the Dothraki but that's about it. And that was no issue since there weren't any named characters in their group. We didn't get to see any war tactics at all. Pure mayhem from the get. Tyrion and Sansa were reduced to two people who were too useless to even fight? As cool as the Arya scene was, I really hope they somehow try to explain it all. IMO it could have been done other ways which showed off her training and would have been more enjoyable. The war which has been built up since literally the prologue of book 1, was neatly and quickly resolved in one episode.

Could someone remind when Arya and the red witch last saw each other? Been too long for me to remember.
Old 04-29-19, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
Could someone remind when Arya and the red witch last saw each other? Been too long for me to remember.
When she took Gendry. Interesting dialogue now in retrospect.

Old 04-29-19, 06:45 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Cersei has green eyes....
Old 04-29-19, 06:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I gotta say, I'm pretty disappointed as well. First off; I'm fully eating my words about Arya after ep1 and I'm glad that's the case. The library scene had her like Solid Snake.

For the show itself, I feel it was a complete cop-out. No one of importance died. In the scale of GoT battles, this was one of the tamest even though it was supposed to be the fight for Humanity. I'll tip a 40 for the Dothraki but that's about it. And that was no issue since there weren't any named characters in their group. We didn't get to see any war tactics at all. Pure mayhem from the get. Tyrion and Sansa were reduced to two people who were too useless to even fight? As cool as the Arya scene was, I really hope they somehow try to explain it all. IMO it could have been done other ways which showed off her training and would have been more enjoyable. The war which has been built up since literally the prologue of book 1, was neatly and quickly resolved in one episode.
That Arya library scene was very video gamey. It was pretty funny seeing MGS or Alien Isolation tactics used in an episode of the biggest TV show out there.

I think you hit the head of the lack of tactics, which made the battle feel a bit dull to me. I mean, yes, there are tactics and formations, but in other battles I felt like I know what people were trying to do, so that added drama to when things would or wouldn't work. This episode, on the otherhand to continue to video game talk, felt like an RTS game of Age of Empires and one side just threw their resources at the other side and hoped for the best. I fully admit it is possible I'm being a little unfair, but I just was so let down by this episode. Someone else said it was boring, and I hate to have to agree with that.

All that said, Cersei being the final hurdle will make for better tv than fighting the undead army. Can GoT pull one more rabbit out of the hat and have her ultimately win?
Old 04-29-19, 06:57 AM

I think this episode would have worked for me if a major player were killed off when the battle first started. Maybe they kill Sansa or Tyrion or somebody of importance, as that would have made the stakes higher. Once I started to see they were just killing off 'B' characters (and the 'A' characters were being saved by those old movie cliches in the last moment), than I realized that nobody big was going to die.
Old 04-29-19, 07:19 AM

Glad it was not just me and my 13 year old DLP that had a hard time watching this ep.. that was a disappointment in today's era of super de-dooper high def...

enjoyed this ep a lot, definitely a little bit of a cop out not killing off one of the biggies, but there was a fair amount of secondary players who were sacrificed so... how Brienne and Jaime survived was a stretch to say the least...

highlights for me were Arya of course, jumped out of the chair for that scene, and her "Not Today" ... Lyanna's scene with the Giant, Tyrion & Sansa's scene behind the crypt, and the crypt risers was a great moment as well.. and not sure what the heck the red witch is all about....

overall a good ep for me...
Old 04-29-19, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If you notice at the end there is a short burst of air that moves one of the white walkers hair just before we see Arya jump at the Night King. I thought it would be an arrow, was cool to see Arya appear and get that close to the Night King.

I also liked the dragons battle up in the clouds. Also, wish Sansa or Tyrion would've killed themselves thinking all was lost. =)
Old 04-29-19, 07:48 AM

I walked away saying this was the most incredible 80 minutes of tv I have ever seen. The build up was perfect, seeing the those flaming swords quickly go out in the distance. They did a great job of making the night king's army even more terrifying. Knowing this is Thrones, the episode legitimately made me wonder if everyone was going to die especially when the dead started coming out of the crypt. Theon's story ended in a very satisfying way. Those finally moments really made me appreciate his journey and performance throughout the series.

Watching the Inside the episode feature, the creators talk about their fear that they couldn't just show 80 minutes of battle. It would eventually get boring so they had to find ways to change up the tone and pace to keep interesting. That just shows the level of care to please the fan base. Of course, nothing they do would please everyone. Someone is always going to bitch, but calling this episode the worst in the series is laughable.
Old 04-29-19, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I still wanna know how Theon was able to do any fighting considering he's missing fingers, toes, his manhood, and other parts. Glad to see the show writers decided to ignore all the torture he went through. No way he'd be able to hold/use a bow.

Oh, do we know the fate of John's dragon? I don't recall seeing him at all after the battle.
Old 04-29-19, 07:59 AM

I still wanna know how Theon was able to do any fighting considering he's missing fingers, toes, his manhood, and other parts. Glad to see the show writers decided to ignore all the torture he went through. No way he'd be able to hold/use a bow.
I don't recall him getting fingers and toes cut off. They stuck blades under his finger nails. You don't need your cock to shoot a bow and arrow.
Old 04-29-19, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dex14 View Post
I don't recall him getting fingers and toes cut off. They stuck blades under his finger nails. You don't need your cock to shoot a bow and arrow.
Maybe the show was different but he was "flayed" A LOT in the book. His hands should be mush, at best. i'm sure for that part I'm remembering the book more-so than the show.
Old 04-29-19, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

He had one little finger cut off by Ramsey. That was it above the waist.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.