DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Game of Thrones (S8E03) -- 82 minute episode -- “The Long Night” -- 4/28/19 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/647501-game-thrones-s8e03-82-minute-episode-%93-long-night%94-4-28-19-a.html)

ScHoLaR oF SMuT 04-28-19 09:49 PM

re: Game of Thrones (S8E03) -- 82 minute episode -- “The Long Night” -- 4/28/19

great episode.. with loads of buildup but by no means has battle of ice an fire shifted out of gear yet cause prophecy doesn't roll that way lol

IDrinkMolson 04-28-19 09:52 PM

Holy jump cuts Batman! Had to watch this in complete darkness.
Other than that, another great episode. So many cool and holy shit moments. The whole cast was almost dead at some point.

The inside the episode that comes on after the credits explained a few things. Arya stabs him where the children of the forest stabbed him when they created him. Dany was distraught over seeing the Dothraki go extinct, so she went off book.
Speaking of, where are all the Dothraki women?

spainlinx0 04-28-19 09:56 PM

I thought this episode was absolutely garbage. Terribly filmed and zero sense to their battle strategy. Yay cool Arya got him. Apparently she gained the power of teleportation out of nowhere because it makes no sense how she got there, but at least it looked cool, unlike the rest of the foggy quick cut overly dark rest of the episode.

DthRdrX 04-28-19 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by maxfisher (Post 13541866)
I honestly was expecting a far darker outcome, with the army of the dead winning and only a small group escaping to make their way south. That would’ve felt more true to the story than them winning and nearly every main character surviving. I’d started to view the driving message of the show as being that all of the game of thrones, power-chasing bullshit would be the end, or nearly the end, of mankind. Guess that’s not where they’re going. There was some satisfaction to individual moments this episode, but overall I’d rank it last of the three from this season and a significant step down from the first two.

Also, we subscribed to HBO now just so we could have this be the first season we watch in real time. That’s been extremely disappointing. The quality of their stream is crap compared to what we get from netflix and amazon prime. The dark scenes are so bad it’s almost impossible to tell what we’re seeing at times, outside of the immediate foreground. That was especially bad for tonight’s episode. Definitely will be dropping the subscription once GoT wraps and the Deadwood movie airs.

This was one of the best of the series. But yea, the HBO video quality is shit during the darker scenes. I often found myself thinking I can't wait to watch this when it hits BD or UBD.

B.A. 04-28-19 09:56 PM

Glad I watched that with the lights off, as it was hard enough to see.

not enough of the cast died.

i knew that little badass would be the one to kill him.

csant 04-28-19 09:57 PM

That screen with the dothraki in the distance and their swords of fire going out... was hilarious.

kefrank 04-28-19 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by TGM (Post 13541852)
I just don't get the game plan with the dragons. why wait to light up the dead with the dragons once they advanced and mixed in with the living? the should have just been flying back and forth strafing the shit out of them.

The plan, I believe, was for Dany and Jon to hang back with the dragons and wait for the Night King to show himself, so that:
1. They could engage and possibly win a 2 against 1 dragon battle.
2. The dragons wouldn't be exposed to potential Night King dragon-killer spears.

Dany kicked the plan to the curb when the Dothraki were obliterated at the beginning of the battle.

eXcentris 04-28-19 09:58 PM

Last week's episode was great. This one was probably the worst GOT episode I've ever seen. The fact that it was so dark didn't help. It was mostly "there was this big battle where you can't see shit, and then Arya shows up suspended in mid air and kills the Night King". I was expecting a bunch of gut wrenching moments that never came. Christ by the end I didn't even care about Theon or Jorah's deaths.

I laughed at loud at the Lyanna death scene. That was like something out of Evil Dead 2. I half expected her eyes to pop out when the giant squeezed her. :lol:

ScHoLaR oF SMuT 04-28-19 10:01 PM

bran...-poke-wake up! and warg out!! . bloody useless

Draven 04-28-19 10:02 PM

Yes they confirmed that was the plan (2 dragons vs 1) in the behind the scenes.

i had a feeling that most of the characters would survive. Still too much of the series left. Still, fun to see some cool moments - Lyanna especially.

And yay Theon!

whotony 04-28-19 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by IDrinkMolson (Post 13541870)
Holy jump cuts Batman! Had to watch this in complete darkness.
Other than that, another great episode. So many cool and holy shit moments. The whole cast was almost dead at some point.

The inside the episode that comes on after the credits explained a few things. Arya stabs him where the children of the forest stabbed him when they created him. Dany was distraught over seeing the Dothraki go extinct, so she went off book.
Speaking of, where are all the Dothraki women?

Where are you seeing the inside the ep after credits?
This doesn’t air on on HBO proper. Is it on the app?

Brack 04-28-19 10:06 PM

It was dark, but I could see what was happening just fine. :shrug:

redrum 04-28-19 10:06 PM

Worst episode? GTFO

That was insane

Arya jumping out of nowhere was a little goofy though

DthRdrX 04-28-19 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by redrum (Post 13541883)
Worst episode? GTFO

That was insane

Well, she was trained by the faceless men.

Episode title confirmed by HBO: The Long Night.

Bill Needle 04-28-19 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by whotony (Post 13541879)

For me, because I am travelling I ended up watching the HBO stream (HBO GO). It is tacked onto the end of the episode in the online version.

IDrinkMolson 04-28-19 10:10 PM

Yes, I only have HBONow. It shows next weeks preview, then Inside the Episode (can't remember where the credits actually are, either before or after the next week segment). If you look at the length of time on the App, it includes all that in the time.

Also, for those of you streaming "live", if you watch it later in the week, the stream looks 100 times better, Netflix/Amazon quality, imo.

redrum 04-28-19 10:11 PM

Having her jump out of the crowd of whites that was just standing there wearing one of their faces would of been better

DthRdrX 04-28-19 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by IDrinkMolson (Post 13541888)
Yes, I only have HBONow. It shows next weeks preview, then Inside the Episode (can't remember where the credits actually are, either before or after the next week segment). If you look at the length of time on the App, it includes all that in the time.

Also, for those of you streaming "live", if you watch it later in the week, the stream looks 100 times better, Netflix/Amazon quality, imo.

I'm watching on Cable TV, and it looks like shit. Stranger because most of HBO's programming looks great for me.

B.A. 04-28-19 10:12 PM

Draven 04-28-19 10:12 PM

I’m fine with the highly trained assassin getting where she needed to be.

whotony 04-28-19 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by ScHoLaR oF SMuT (Post 13541877)
bran...-poke-wake up! and warg out!! . bloody useless

Bran was apparently setting up the Ice King for Arya to come and kill him.

I’m guessing that he was warging with Arya.

Bill Needle 04-28-19 10:15 PM

Re: Game of Thrones (S8E03) -- 82 minute episode -- “The Long Night” -- 4/28/19

Originally Posted by redrum (Post 13541883)

Here it is in slow motion:

https://j.gifs.com/yEe787.gif

whotony 04-28-19 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by IDrinkMolson (Post 13541888)

Ok I was wondering if they had the after ep things for live eps and I guess only on demand or the app.

Draven 04-28-19 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by whotony (Post 13541894)

Bran was apparently setting up the Ice King for Arya to come and kill him.

I’m guessing that he was warging with Arya.

I think he was still warging the crows and keeping an eye on the whole battlefield and watching for Arya.

B.A. 04-28-19 10:22 PM