Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The Loudest Voice (Showtime) Russell Crowe, Naomi Watts, Sienna Miller - Roger Ailes miniseries - 6/30/19

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Loudest Voice (Showtime) Russell Crowe, Naomi Watts, Sienna Miller - Roger Ailes miniseries - 6/30/19

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-19, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 722 Likes on 589 Posts

<iframe width="706" height="397" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/lAnJJHrq0Ws" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Roger Ailes lays out his “fair and balanced” vision for Fox News in unsparing terms in the teaser for Showtime’s upcoming limited series, The Loudest Voice, premiering June 30th.The seven-part series stars Russell Crowe as the notorious Fox News founder, who built the network into a financial juggernaut and a virtual mouthpiece for the Republican party. The new clip teases Crowe’s portrayal of Ailes as a cunning man hell-bent on getting whatever he wanted, whether political power, ratings or women. Amidst his Fox News scheming — “We’re gonna give them a vision of the world the way they want it to be” — the clip also alludes to Ailes’ alleged history of sexual harassment that led to his ouster from the network in 2016 (Ailes died a year later).

Along with Crowe, The Loudest Voice stars Naomi Watts as former Fox anchor Gretchen Carlson (who was the first to accuse Ailes of sexual misconduct), Sienna Miller as Ailes’ wife Elizabeth, Seth MacFarlane as former Fox News PR chief Brian Lewis and Simon McBurney as News Corp chief Rupert Murdoch.
https://www.rollingstone.com/tv/tv-n...railer-823019/

SHOWTIME has announced that it will premiere its highly-anticipated seven-part limited series THE LOUDEST VOICE, starring Academy Award(R) and Golden Globe(R) winner Russell Crowe as Fox News founder Roger Ailes, on Sunday, June 30 at 10 p.m. ET/PT. Production is currently underway in New York City. THE LOUDEST VOICE is based on extensive reporting by Gabriel Sherman in his bestselling book, The Loudest Voice in the Room, which included interviews with more than 600 people. In addition to Crowe, the star-studded cast also includes Academy Award nominee Naomi Watts as former Fox News anchor Gretchen Carlson, Golden Globe nominee Sienna Miller (Layer Cake) as Ailes' wife Elizabeth, Oscar(R) nominee and Emmy(R) winner Seth MacFarlane (Family Guy) as former Fox News PR chief Brian Lewis, Screen Actors Guild Award(R) nominee Simon McBurney (The Theory of Everything) as News Corp leader Rupert Murdoch, Annabelle Wallis (Peaky Blinders) as former Fox News booker Laurie Luhn and Aleksa Palladino (Boardwalk Empire) as Ailes' longtime assistant Judy Laterza. Guest stars include Emmy and Golden Globe nominee Josh Charles (The Good Wife) as Casey Close, Gretchen Carlson's husband and Josh Stamberg (The Affair) as former Fox executive, Bill Shine. Emmy nominee Kari Skogland (The Handmaid's Tale) directed multiple episodes. In today's politically charged media landscape, no figure looms larger, even after his passing, than Roger Ailes, who molded Fox News into a force that irrevocably changed the conversation about the highest levels of government. To understand the events that led to the rise of the modern Republican party, one must understand Ailes. The upcoming limited series takes on that challenge, focusing primarily on the past decade in which Ailes arguably became the Republican Party's de facto leader, while also touching on defining events in Ailes' life, including his experiences with world leaders that gave birth to Ailes' political career and the sexual harassment accusations and settlements that brought his Fox News reign to an end. The series aims to shed light on the psychology that drives the political process from the top down.

PRINCIPAL CAST INFORMATION:
· Aleksa Palladino as Judy
· Annabelle Wallis as Laurie Luhn
· Barry Watson as Lachlan Murdoch
· Josh Charles as Casey Close
· Naomi Watts as Gretchen Carlson
· Russell Crowe as Roger Ailes
· Seth MacFarlane as Brian Lewis
· Sienna Miller as Elizabeth "Beth" Ailes
· Simon McBurney as Rupert Murdoch

CREW INFORMATION:
· Alex Metcalf as EP
· Gabriel Sherman as BOOK
· Jason Blum as EP
· Jeremy Gold as EP
· Kari Skogland as EP/DIR (Pilot)
· Marci Wiseman as EP
· Tom McCarthy as CRTR/EP
Maybe Crowe was inspired by Christian Bale and he wanted his own fat bald old guy character to play.

I thought this was going to be a movie when I first head the rumors of Watts playing a FOX News personality.

A must watch for me with this cast

Last edited by dex14; 06-30-19 at 07:20 AM.
Old 04-27-19, 06:31 PM

Received 4,578 Likes on 3,099 Posts
re: The Loudest Voice (Showtime) Russell Crowe, Naomi Watts, Sienna Miller - Roger Ailes miniseries - 6/30/19

There is a movie version coming too: https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk...e-lithgow.html
Old 06-30-19, 07:17 AM

Re: The Loudest Voice (Showtime) Russell Crowe, Naomi Watts, Sienna Miller - Roger Ailes miniseries - 6/3

Premiere is tonight.
Old 06-30-19, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: The Loudest Voice (Showtime) Russell Crowe, Naomi Watts, Sienna Miller - Roger Ailes miniseries - 6/3

With this cast I am going to watch it.
Old 07-01-19, 02:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Crowe and Watts are 2 of my favorite actors.
The better their performances, the more I would dislike this miniseries.
Much of the current divisions in this country can be traced to Ailes.

I'm gonna pass...
Old 07-01-19, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Maybe liberals will not watch because it is about Ailes and Republicans will not watch because they will think it is a hit job on their hero.
Old 07-01-19, 06:42 PM

I watched the first episode. Didn't think much of it. The editing was annoying.
Old 07-04-19, 04:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The ratings were low and not that impressive
Old 07-15-19, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Watts as Gretchen Carson

The real Gretchen is not as hot as her.

Ailles at his worst in this episode. You need to take a shower after that hotel scene.

Rupert Murdoch comes off as sympathetic in this series.

Old 07-15-19, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
Watts as Gretchen Carson

The real Gretchen is not as hot as her.
True.

Rupert Murdoch comes off as sympathetic in this series.
That's surprising.
As the owner/creator of Fox News, he is the one who signed off on Ailes and his crew.
Old 07-16-19, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Rupert told Ailles to lay off on using Obamas middle name in the broadcasts and he had the Asian wife so maybe he was not that conservative as Ailles.
Old 07-29-19, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Maybe I am in the minority but I like this show.
Old 07-29-19, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

Maybe I am in the minority but I like this show.
No, I like it too. I guess it's just hard to talk about without getting too political. What surprised me is just how whacked out Ailes really was. I figured he was just a slimy Republican making up lies, but this show seems to say he was an actual conspiracy theorist who was paranoid about Obama being a Kenyan/Muslim/Communist/Manchurian candidate.

I had actually heard once that if Rupert Murdoch found being a far left liberal could make more money, that FOX News would change overnight. So I bet this portrayal isn't too far off. I'm sure he's a conservative, but not a nut job like Ailes/Hannity/Beck/Jones etc...
Old 07-29-19, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Murdoch is probably reasonable and not a lunatic like those guys.
Old 08-26-19, 05:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone heard if The Loudest Voice will be released on Blu-Ray/ DVD?
Old 08-26-19, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Maybe later this year though would the demand be there?
Old 08-27-19, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Maybe later this year though would the demand be there?
Not likely.
Ailes is ancient history for Republicans these days.
Trump controls the conversation.
Old 08-27-19, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,188 Likes on 4,215 Posts

Speaking of demand, this is a show that probably has very little overall demand from viewers. It's not salacious enough for the left-leaners to tune in for 8 hours, and the right probably thinks it's a hit-job on Fox News. I'm not surprised it bombed.
Watched the first two episodes this weekend and thought it was just okay. I kept starting at Crowe's facial make up prosthetics and weirdly well-defined skull-cap hairline.
Old 08-27-19, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Decker
I'm not surprised it bombed.
Ya gotta wonder WHO at HBO thought it wouldn't...
Old 08-27-19, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by melasnus
Ya gotta wonder WHO at HBO thought it wouldn't...
Probably no one since it's on Showtime.
Old 08-27-19, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by dex14
Probably no one since it's on Showtime.
For years, HBO and Showtime was synonymous in my mind (which must be why I keep mixing the 2 up ).
After Dexter was tossed in the river, Showtime offers me nothing that floats my boat.