Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The Orville (S2E14) -- Season Finale -- "The Road Not Taken" -- 4/25/19

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 04-26-19, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Kelly's decision in the previous episode has far reaching ramifications. The crew has to try and set things right.

Essentially, Part 2 of, "Tomorrow, and Tomorrow, and Tomorrow."
Old 04-26-19, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

re: The Orville (S2E14) -- Season Finale -- "The Road Not Taken" -- 4/25/19

And THAT, ladies and gentlemen, is how you close out a season if you're not sure you're going to get renewed.

I really hope The Orville gets renewed, because it has become my favorite show on TV right now, but if it gets cancelled this was a great way to end the series. I really couldn't complain about how the show would end, just that it ended too soon.

As for the episode itself, that was some really well written, well directed, and well acted light hearted science fiction (even with the stakes as high as they were and the episode as dark and dramatic as it was it was still fairly light hearted). I'm sure there will be a fair amount of discussion about one particular sequence that was a direct callback to The Empire Strikes Back, but I found that to be a really fun sequence and well worth including in the episode.

Great stuff.
Old 04-26-19, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It was good to see Alara again.

Pretty by-the-book story, but enjoyable.

Id be happy if they came back for a third season.
Old 04-26-19, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Despite going up against the NFL Draft and Avengers, this actually ticked up a little in the ratings.
Old 04-26-19, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: The Orville (S2E14) -- Season Finale -- "The Road Not Taken" -- 4/25/19

This kind of felt like Seth getting some of his Star Wars fantasies on screen before the whole team met up.
Old 04-26-19, 04:27 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Kelly is hotter in every timeline than her own!
Old 04-26-19, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

A lot of Star Wars in this episode between the score, the asteroid field, and even the slime guy acting like the door droid from Jabba's Palace.

Did something happen to Palecki? I don't recall her looking so sickly skinny before these past couple episodes.
Old 04-26-19, 04:36 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

sickly skinny? fuck that. she's a smoke show. I think she's always been thin but the uniform isn't flattering.
Old 04-26-19, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TGM View Post
sickly skinny? fuck that. she's a smoke show. I think she's always been thin but the uniform isn't flattering.
I never understood why so many seem to drool over her in these threads. Based on seeing her in this show I'd rate her as very average (for Hollywood). I guess she must have hooked a lot of folks in her prior work and there is some carry-over. Otherwise, I just don't see it.
Old 04-26-19, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Bill Needle View Post
I never understood why so many seem to drool over her in these threads. Based on seeing her in this show I'd rate her as very average (for Hollywood). I guess she must have hooked a lot of folks in her prior work and there is some carry-over. Otherwise, I just don't see it.
She has a pretty face, which is probably what most people are looking at, but her hips are narrower than her chest. That's not a good look on a woman.
Old 04-26-19, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Goldberg74 View Post
It was good to see Alara again.
I was very surprised to see Halston Sage again. I suppose there's no chance she could return to the show.
Old 04-26-19, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by randian View Post
She has a pretty face, which is probably what most people are looking at, but her hips are narrower than her chest. That's not a good look on a woman.
okdude

Gotta say, this season had a bunch of ups and downs, but I enjoyed this finale a lot more than the PC mess that is ST: CGI Discovery. Goes to show that budget isn't everything.
Old 04-26-19, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

They don't have decent boob jobs in the future? Geez...

As for the episode I thought it was decent enough. The typical, sacrifice ourselves to save the time line trope. Still, it was well done.
Old 04-26-19, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Bill Needle View Post

She wasn't that anorexic looking a few years ago. She's gotten progressively thinner over the last several years, and it isn't a great look. It looks unhealthy.

I still love her as an actress, though, and I love the character. I just hope she doesn't have any serious health issues.

And she carried the last couple of episodes as the focal point really well.
Old 04-28-19, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Her boobs are plastic so they aren't going anywhere. I thought this episode had more of a Firefly vibe. She even wore the brown coat and had her gun strapped to her hip.
Old 04-28-19, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by JimRochester View Post
Her boobs are plastic so they aren't going anywhere. I thought this episode had more of a Firefly vibe. She even wore the brown coat and had her gun strapped to her hip.
Funny...I didn't get a Firefly feel from it. What I kept thinking of was the DS9 mirror universe episodes - even the costumes reminded me of that.
Old 04-28-19, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by B5Erik View Post
As for the episode itself, that was some really well written, well directed, and well acted light hearted science fiction (even with the stakes as high as they were and the episode as dark and dramatic as it was it was still fairly light hearted). I'm sure there will be a fair amount of discussion about one particular sequence that was a direct callback to The Empire Strikes Back, but I found that to be a really fun sequence and well worth including in the episode.

Great stuff.
Of course it was well written b/c it was stolen unabashedly from yesterdays' enterprise right down to having the old security chief come back. A
Old 04-28-19, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by DVD Josh View Post
Of course it was well written b/c it was stolen unabashedly from yesterdays' enterprise right down to having the old security chief come back.
The plot details are very different. In Yesterday's Enterprise the Federation is still around. Earth is still a functioning society. In The Road Not Taken Earth is dead and the Union is gone. These people have to go on this mission on their own.

The general idea of an alternate reality and time travel may be similar, but there are significant differences.

And both episodes are great!

I still say the Orville is the best Trek series since DS9 (even if it's not a true Trek show), so any borrowing of concepts is fine with me. It's a great show. Voyager wasn't. Enterprise wasn't (at least not before I gave up on it early in the second season).
Old 04-29-19, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by B5Erik View Post
The plot details are very different. In Yesterday's Enterprise the Federation is still around. Earth is still a functioning society. In The Road Not Taken Earth is dead and the Union is gone. These people have to go on this mission on their own.

The general idea of an alternate reality and time travel may be similar, but there are significant differences.

And both episodes are great!

I still say the Orville is the best Trek series since DS9 (even if it's not a true Trek show), so any borrowing of concepts is fine with me. It's a great show. Voyager wasn't. Enterprise wasn't (at least not before I gave up on it early in the second season).
All reaches my friend. They are markedly similar.

That said, I'm not saying this wasn't a good episode. It was probably the best episode of the entire series IMHO.
Old 04-29-19, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Was the scene with Alara filmed before she left the show? This definitely felt like it was filmed to be a proper series finale if needed. I really hope it comes back for season 3. It's been progressively getting better since it started.
Old 04-29-19, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
Was the scene with Alara filmed before she left the show? This definitely felt like it was filmed to be a proper series finale if needed. I really hope it comes back for season 3. It's been progressively getting better since it started.
I'm surprised she agreed to be in the same room with McFarlane given her allegations.
Old 04-29-19, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by DVD Josh View Post
I'm surprised she agreed to be in the same room with McFarlane given her allegations.
What are her allegations? I did a search and all I'm getting is that they were dating.
Old 04-29-19, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Good finale. Love time travel plots, so Im glad the story continued from the previous episode.
Old 04-29-19, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Ok ep. Liked the chemistry between Seth and Adriane. Not sure why the Doctor had long hair. Liked seeing Seth's old lover.
Old 04-29-19, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Anybody else get the impression that Halston Sage didn't want to do the full makeup?

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.