Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Game of Thrones (S8E02) -- ”A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms” -- 4/21/19

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-19, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 246 Likes on 175 Posts
Re: Game of Thrones (S8E02) -- ”A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms” -- 4/21/19

At least half the cast dies next week. Out of every intimate one-on-one scene, one of them will die.
Jorah/Sam - Sam dies
Hound/Ayra - Hound dies
Gendy/Ayra - Gendry dies
Bran/Jamie - Bran dies (this also eliminates the only two people to back up Jon's claim to throne)
Theon dies
Everybody around the big fireplace dies including Tormund, Brienne and what's his name that was passing out soup. Except Jaime and Tyrion.
Leader of Ayra's forces and gal from Narn- one dies
The news of Jon's heritage will reveal Dany's true character. She already sees Sansa as a threat. She could go all Cersei and try to eliminate Sansa, Sam and Bran. "Fog of war" and all that.

Last edited by rw2516; 04-22-19 at 08:00 AM.
Old 04-22-19, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 909 Likes on 671 Posts

Which battle are we expecting to be bigger (the one they said was the "biggest put to film"? The one coming with the night king or whatever follows with King's Landing? Or do we think it'll all get mixed into one giant battle for all the lands?
Old 04-22-19, 07:41 AM

Received 4,579 Likes on 3,099 Posts

Originally Posted by Noonan
Which battle are we expecting to be bigger (the one they said was the "biggest put to film"? The one coming with the night king or whatever follows with King's Landing? Or do we think it'll all get mixed into one giant battle for all the lands?
The biggest one put to film comment was in regards to next weeks.

Episode 5 will have another though as it has been said Sapochnik will direct two.
Old 04-22-19, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by coli
I'm probably in the minority, but I thought that was the worst GOT episode of the 8 seasons. I understand what they are were trying to go for in that they wanted to delve into these people's lives with them knowing that they are going to die and this is how they would react. But I just don't think they needed a 60 minute episode of it, especially when you have a shortened season with only 4 episodes left now. I still feel it was a terrible decision (by whoever decided to go with the shorterned last 2 seasons) and the 2 year hiatus between 7 and 8. The show has really lost all momentum for me and I'm sort of going through the motions watching this show (the same thing happened to me the final few seasons of the Sopranos when they dragged them out 2 years between seasons.)

And whether it was a double or not, they didn't need to show Arya naked as I don't know what that was all about. There is too much nudity in the show to begin with (I don't want to sound like a prude, but lesser quality shows always have to use nudity to sell the show to the horny guys demo, but GOT is good enough where it never needed that). This would be no different than watching the Olsen Twins get naked in a final season of Full House when they finally turned 18.
I have mixed feelings about the episode. Definitely some great moments and performances. The episode started off strong with Jamie basically put on trial and completing his redemption arc by apologizing to Bran. Even the characters were amused how their situations had drastically changed since the earlier seasons like Tyrion and his brother now fighting for WInterfell. OTOH, we've been going at a snails pace in such a short season. The episode felt one note where as all the episodes in previous seasons juggled multiple storylines and locations so it was exciting. We didn't even get a cut to Cersei. Just mostly calm before the storm stuff. It'll all fit together better when you can just bing the season.
Old 04-22-19, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by dvdjunkie32
I have mixed feelings about the episode. Definitely some great moments and performances. The episode started off strong with Jamie basically put on trial and completing his redemption arc by apologizing to Bran. Even the characters were amused how their situations had drastically changed since the earlier seasons like Tyrion and his brother now fighting for WInterfell. OTOH, we've been going at a snails pace in such a short season. The episode felt one note where as all the episodes in previous seasons juggled multiple storylines and locations so it was exciting. We didn't even get a cut to Cersei. Just mostly calm before the storm stuff. It'll all fit together better when you can just bing the season.
Totally split in my work this morning. 2 people loved it and 3 people hated it, and 2 people haven't seen it yet.
Old 04-22-19, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by dvdjunkie32
OTOH, we've been going at a snails pace in such a short season. The episode felt one note where as all the episodes in previous seasons juggled multiple storylines and locations so it was exciting. We didn't even get a cut to Cersei. Just mostly calm before the storm stuff. It'll all fit together better when you can just bing the season.
Interesting considering last season a major complaint was that it moved to quickly.

Last edited by dex14; 04-22-19 at 01:09 PM.
Old 04-22-19, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,200 Likes on 2,065 Posts

I wonder if this episode would have been better received if there weren’t just 4 episodes left. I really liked the more intimate feel of this episode with characters making amends and sitting around in a friendly environment. It was nice to see after the previous seasons of deception, violence, and jockeying for position.

That being said, I spent much of the episode thinking they were running out of time to complete the story. One or two episode of the battle with the white walkers (I’m assuming one battle episode and one fallout episode). That leaves only two episodes to resolve the Cersei and Iron Throne plot line, you know, a pretty major goddamn storyline!
Old 04-22-19, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

I liked that they set up the emotional impact that the battle is going to have. Unfortunately, that impact is most likely people dying.

My predictions:

Jamie dies in Winterfell
Dany is going to lose it and declare war/try to kill Jon, but will end up dying to save his life by the end of the show
Tyrion will kill Cersei
The Mountain will kill the Hound, but Arya will kill the Mountain
Some of the secondary characters (Tormund, Brienne, Sam, Bran, Jorah) will die, but I can't decide who.

Those are my best guesses.

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
I wonder if this episode would have been better received if there weren’t just 4 episodes left. I really liked the more intimate feel of this episode with characters making amends and sitting around in a friendly environment. It was nice to see after the previous seasons of deception, violence, and jockeying for position.

That being said, I spent much of the episode thinking they were running out of time to complete the story. One or two episode of the battle with the white walkers (I’m assuming one battle episode and one fallout episode). That leaves only two episodes to resolve the Cersei and Iron Throne plot line, you know, a pretty major goddamn storyline!
Agreed. This pretty much means they have to resolve the Night King within the next two episodes, to leave them 2 to deal with King's Landing/the Iron Throne. Not a lot of time left.
Old 04-22-19, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 909 Likes on 671 Posts

I wonder if this episode would have been better received if there weren’t just 4 episodes left.
I think so. I had the same issue; good scenes but frustrating knowing that there's only a handful of episodes left to wrap up everything this story has presented to us. All of the political intrigue books built up will be resolved by a couple of large battles where most everyone dies.
Old 04-22-19, 08:37 AM

I agree with that. My biggest worry about this ending is not being fulfilled with time spent on the Iron Throne plot. The White Walkers are cool and have memorable battle scenes, but I'm not extremely interested in that. I don't think the White Walker battle will take up two full episodes.

I do think that the extra run time on this last 4 episodes will help though as they do amount to about an extra 1.5 of episode time.

With that said, I liked this episode a lot.

Last edited by dex14; 04-22-19 at 08:43 AM.
Old 04-22-19, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 171 Posts

I thought it was one of the best episodes of the series. Remember, the show is a character-based dramatic show that happens to take place in a violent world; it's not a rock 'em sock'em action adventure summer popcorn movie.
Old 04-22-19, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 193 Likes on 155 Posts

I enjoyed this episode quite a bit. Of the main 8 characters [the remaining 6 first book POV characters (all 4 Starks, Tyrion, & Dany) and Jaime and Cersei] I think everyone but maybe Sansa or Bran have plot armor for next week; I wouldn't be surprised to see them all live though. It will most likely be a blood bath for the secondary and tertiary characters.
Old 04-22-19, 09:06 AM

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/dcqrNXKv628" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 04-22-19, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

I liked this episode quite a bit as well. Next week's is the one that looks a little dull to me - all action, no characterization. But that's why we had THIS episode...so everyone should be happy by this time next week.
Old 04-22-19, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts

Let’s put the women and children in the crypt where they will be safer ... the crypt where they bury the dead.

I really loved this episode but I am not looking forward to probably losing so many characters next week. There are many unresolved story lines that I hope the characters won’t be killed off before.

Old 04-22-19, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 193 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
I liked this episode quite a bit as well. Next week's is the one that looks a little dull to me - all action, no characterization. But that's why we had THIS episode...so everyone should be happy by this time next week.
I think some the complaints stem from the idea that this would have worked better as a two hour block. You end this episode "feeling cheated" because the battle is about to start. But it's also the last time some of these characters will ever get to talk to one another. One reunion I'm surprised we never got in the first two hours was Sansa and the Hound, but I guess we can't have everything.

Also, they FINALLY bring back Ghost in the most nonchalant way. Maybe he's been at the wall hanging out with Ed.
Old 04-22-19, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

I teared up at the Theon/Sansa reunion. I so didn't see myself being emotionally invested in those 2.

I'm really digging Sansa's dominatrix style attire this season.
Old 04-22-19, 09:54 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

I get what they were doing with this episode (a final reunion and a goodbye to characters who have been around for several seasons), but it was all a bit too silly for my tastes.

The conversations early in this episode seem to layout the structure of the rest of the season: the Night King will be defeated at Winterfell, but the survivors now have to battle Cerseis troops. Both of those plots should have been season-long, but they've really compressed things now since the first season.
Old 04-22-19, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

It was an odd episode. After having these characters apart for so long, having them back together felt a little contrived.
Lots of tying up loose ends though.

To me, it looks like this is how the rest of the episodes will play out...

- ep 3: battle with white walkers
- ep 4: fallout after battle, build-up to Kings Landing battle
- ep 5: battle with Kings Landing/fallout of battle
- ep 6: wrap up, possible glimpse into future

GMM has gone on record saying that the show will have a "happy" ending, if somewhat bittersweet, not unlike Lord of the Rings.
Old 04-22-19, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 578 Likes on 417 Posts

Originally Posted by andicus
I said to my wife, "Please don't have Arya get naked." It really felt dirty, even though she's 22.
I have no doubt that was their intention, to make people uncomfortable.
Old 04-22-19, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

I liked the episode, but it could have been so much better if pre-writer's-block-George had written the dialogue. There was so much bad dialogue.
Old 04-22-19, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 578 Likes on 417 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
I agree with that. My biggest worry about this ending is not being fulfilled with time spent on the Iron Throne plot. The White Walkers are cool and have memorable battle scenes, but I'm not extremely interested in that. I don't think the White Walker battle will take up two full episodes.
It will be much easier to solve the Iron Throne plot when most of the characters are dead.
Old 04-22-19, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

This is... weird - like, who is it even for?

Old 04-22-19, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by LurkerDan
It will be much easier to solve the Iron Throne plot when most of the characters are dead.
True. But I don't suspect any of the players who have claim will die in the battle at Winterfell.
Old 04-22-19, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,881 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
The conversations early in this episode seem to layout the structure of the rest of the season: the Night King will be defeated at Winterfell, but the survivors now have to battle Cerseis troops.
What if the Night King and zombie-Viserion aren't at Winterfell?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.