Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

When They See Us (Netflix) -- "Central Park Five" limited series -- D: Ava DuVernay -- 5/31/19

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

When They See Us (Netflix) -- "Central Park Five" limited series -- D: Ava DuVernay -- 5/31/19

Old 04-19-19, 10:06 AM

Received 302 Likes on 215 Posts

<iframe width="907" height="510" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/u3F9n_smGWY" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Based on a true story that gripped the country, When They See Us will chronicle the notorious case of five teenagers of color, labeled the Central Park Five, who were convicted of a rape they did not commit. The four part limited series will focus on the five teenagers from Harlem -- Antron McCray, Kevin Richardson, Yusef Salaam, Raymond Santana and Korey Wise. Beginning in the spring of 1989, when the teenagers were first questioned about the incident, the series will span 25 years, highlighting their exoneration in 2002 and the settlement reached with the city of New York in 2014.

When They See Us was created by Ava DuVernay, who also co-wrote and directed the four parts. Jeff Skoll and Jonathan King from Participant Media, Oprah Winfrey from Harpo Films, and Jane Rosenthal, Berry Welsh and Robert De Niro from Tribeca Productions will executive produce the limited series alongside DuVernay through her banner, Forward Movement. In addition to DuVernay, Attica Locke, Robin Swicord, and Michael Starrburry also serve as writers on the limited series.

The series stars Emmy AwardŽ Nominee Michael K. Williams, Academy AwardŽ Nominee Vera Farmiga, Emmy AwardŽ Winner John Leguizamo, Academy AwardŽ Nominee and Emmy AwardŽ Winner Felicity Huffman, Emmy AwardŽ Nominee Niecy Nash, Emmy AwardŽ Winner and two-time Golden Globe Nominee Blair Underwood, Emmy AwardŽ and Grammy AwardŽ Winner and Tony AwardŽ Nominee Christopher Jackson, Joshua Jackson, Omar Dorsey, Adepero Oduye, Famke Janssen, Aurora Perrineau, Dascha Polanco, William Sadler, Jharrel Jerome, Jovan Adepo, Aunjanue Ellis, Kylie Bunbury, Marsha Stephanie Blake, Storm Reid, Chris Chalk, Freddy Miyares, Justin Cunningham, Ethan Herisse, Caleel Harris, Marquis Rodriguez, and Asante Blackk.

When They See Us premieres May 31 only on Netflix.
Old 05-29-19, 01:19 PM

re: When They See Us (Netflix) -- "Central Park Five" limited series -- D: Ava DuVernay -- 5/31/19

<iframe width="676" height="380" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/JseOG2YQr7w" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 05-31-19, 05:13 AM

re: When They See Us (Netflix) -- "Central Park Five" limited series -- D: Ava DuVernay -- 5/31/19

This is up today.
Old 05-31-19, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thought this was going to be a movie. Currently watching the fourth episode which is the best so far. I wonder how long the show has been on ice. I know one of the actors died a few years ago.
Old 05-31-19, 08:30 AM

Re: When They See Us (Netflix) -- "Central Park Five" limited series -- D: Ava DuVernay -- 5/31/19

Originally Posted by Baron Of Hell View Post
Thought this was going to be a movie. Currently watching the fourth episode which is the best so far. I wonder how long the show has been on ice. I know one of the actors died a few years ago.
It was shot less than a year ago.
Old 06-07-19, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Re: When They See Us (Netflix) -- "Central Park Five" limited series -- D: Ava DuVernay -- 5/31/19

This was excellent. Such a malicious tragedy what happened to those boys. I've said it many times - most prosecutors don't care about justice. The care about getting convictions and padding their stats. And they enjoy absolute immunity, practically speaking.

I recommend watching the Ken Burns' documentary on the Central Park 5.
Old 06-08-19, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It took me a while to realize the same actor played Korey Wise as a teenager and adult. He was amazing.
Old 06-15-20, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just finished this series and it was by far the hardest thing I've ever watched. The actor who played Korey Wise was unbelievable and definitely deserved his emmy. If you haven't seen this yet I highly suggest it.
Old 06-15-20, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 459 Likes on 276 Posts

I went to a talk given by Raymond Santana at a local community college last year. Very moving and emotional. Remarkable man. Haven't watched this series yet, but man that must have been hell to go through. Need to watch it, thanks for the reminder.