Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Live In Front Of A Studio Audience (ABC)

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Live In Front Of A Studio Audience (ABC)

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-19, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts
re: Live In Front Of A Studio Audience (ABC)

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
I found his whole performance to be distracting...it's like he was trying to do Carol O'Connor's voice, but not his mannerisms. Either do an impression of the actor (Foxx had Sherman Hemsley nailed perfectly) or do your own interpretation...don't try to mix them.

I thought Woody would do great...I was wrong. They should have asked John Goodman.
My sentiments exactly. Harrelson was really bad. His accent would come and go and sometimes slip into a JFK-esque thing. It's not that he's a bad actor, but he was miscast. Foxx was over the top but it seemed that maybe some of the actors thought it was a parody/tribute type thing and others did not. Maybe they did not rehearse? I bailed after the episode ended and didn't watch the Jeffersons episode or the "making of" part. To me, Norman Lear looked a bit disappointed when they showed him and Kimmel.
Old 05-24-19, 07:02 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

I haven't seen it yet- I'm a child of the 70's/80's so I saw the originals when they first ran.

Is this worth watching?
Old 05-24-19, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

Honestly, I'd say this wasn't worth it at all. I personally found it disrespectful of the originals or at least showing a profound misunderstanding of the original characters.
For me, it just showed what a wonderful cast the originals had, but it did make me rethink just how 'timeless' the originals were if they could be this badly reimagined.
Some really good actors giving really lousy performances.

Best part was Marla Gibbs - 88 years old but I loved seeing her again.
Old 05-24-19, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Archie Bunker is a pig, and Harrelson does not carry the fatty girth and double chin that O'Connor brought to the role. Plus, he didn't play the role irritated or angry enough. Archie Bunker was an angry and unhappy guy. That didn't come through in the performance. It came off like a bad play.
Old 05-25-19, 02:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,027 Likes on 726 Posts

I though Jamie Foxx did a great job with George. Woody as Archie, not so much.

Marisa was excellent, as was Wanda.

Mike and Gloria were okay, I guess. Ellie Kemper looked very different.

Sean Hayes as Frank was horrible, but I think the worst casting was Stephen Tobolowsky as Bentley. That did not work at all.

I'm glad I PVR'd it, as there were a lot of commercials to skip. No surprise, though.
Old 05-25-19, 10:28 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The special and half-hour follow-up are scheduled to be rerun tonight (Sat. 5/25) on ABC.

Last edited by digidoh; 05-27-19 at 06:42 PM. Reason: Link to ABC schedule no longer applies
Old 05-25-19, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Marisa Tomei did well as Edith, but Woody Harrelson was AWFUL as Archie. He sounded like he was trying too hard to create a New York accent whereas Carroll O'Connor made it sound natural. The sets looked great, but why didn't Woody wear a long sleeve white collared shirt? Isn't that what Archie wore in nearly every episode of the original show? Jamie Foxx brought the same energy to George that Sherman Hemsley did, but he's not a short man so the joke about his short stature didn't work. Foxx flubbing his line was the funniest part of the whole 90 minutes. I hope this was a one-time special and not the start of several trips down memory lane because it proved how much better the original shows were.
Old 05-25-19, 02:13 PM
Banned

Harrelson was raised in the midwest. They couldn't find a native New Yorker to play the part? It's not like there's a lack of good character actors from Brooklyn/Queens, etc. Imagine someone like Hank Azaria playing the role (with a lot of makeup, etc).
Old 05-25-19, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,259 Likes on 837 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric F
I haven't seen it yet- I'm a child of the 70's/80's so I saw the originals when they first ran.

Is this worth watching?
I think it's an interesting experiment, no more no less. Certainly not must watch.

What would have been interesting is if they did a segment afterwards asking young people how they react to it. Similar to what the "React" YouTube channel does, like "how do millenials react to Seinfeld or Friends or..." You get a lot of "that woudn't fly today".
Old 05-25-19, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

My DVR missed this on the first broadcast, but I caught it tonight. I wish I hadn't. It was awful.
Old 05-25-19, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

Gloria was a blonde. Why didn't Kemper at least wear a blonde wig?
Old 05-26-19, 09:50 AM

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I tend to believe those actors with stage experience seemed to be better suited for the roles. The couple of actors who many are critiquing, and I agree, seem to have gained fame from TV and/or Movies. They can have multiple takes there for the "perfect" performance.
Old 05-26-19, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 214 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by Daytripper
Gloria was a blonde. Why didn't Kemper at least wear a blonde wig?
If you look on you.tube you'll find two different pilots for "Family" under different titles, and with different actors in each playing Mike (or "Richard" in one version) and Gloria.
Old 05-27-19, 01:40 PM
Banned

Saw it. Enjoyed The Jeffersons a lot, All in the Family wasn't very good, probably because the whole show is centered around Archie which Harrelson just couldn't pull off.

What is up with ABC's censors? It was supposed to be a live production- if "n" word was acceptable to be aired in '73 why did they decide censoring it now was OK? Lame.
Old 05-27-19, 06:59 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

On the special, after Louise’s friend Diane (Jackée Harry) leaves, Louise uses the phrase “superior crap.” I can’t imagine CBS would’ve allowed that in 1975. Back then, the “accepted” term was ‘crapola.’

Did the sound go out briefly when George was walking on Harry’s back and Harry said something about George’s rhythm? It did on my ABC affiliate (watching as it aired and on DVR replay).
Old 05-27-19, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by digidoh
On the special, after Louise’s friend Diane (Jackée Harry) leaves, Louise uses the phrase “superior crap.” I can’t imagine CBS would’ve allowed that in 1975. Back then, the “accepted” term was ‘crapola.’

Did the sound go out briefly when George was walking on Harry’s back and Harry said something about George’s rhythm? It did on my ABC affiliate (watching as it aired and on DVR replay).
I had the dropout also.
Old 05-28-19, 12:49 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by DWilson
I had the dropout also.
It was on the Hulu version so it must be on all of them.
Old 05-28-19, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 482 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by digidoh

I remember the sound cutting out there for a moment.

As for "superior crap", in the real show Louise says "superior jazz"

At the six minute 10 second mark:

Old 05-28-19, 01:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Enjoyed this more than I expected to. Good stuff.
Old 08-06-19, 06:48 AM

Received 4,578 Likes on 3,099 Posts

Following the success of the first installment, ABC has ordered two more “Live in Front of a Studio Audience” specials for the 2019-2020 season.

The announcement was made Monday at the Television Critics Association summer press tour. The first new special will air this winter, while the second is slated for spring 2020. The classic sitcoms that will be the focus of each special will be announced at a later date.

Jimmy Kimmel and Norman Lear will return to executive produce the new specials along with Brent Miller, Will Ferrell, and Justin Theroux.

The move to turn the live specials into a franchise for the broadcaster comes as no surprise. ABC’s “Live in Front of a Studio Audience: Norman Lear’s ‘All in the Family’ and “The Jeffersons’” premiered on May 22, pulling in a 1.8 rating in adults 18-49 and 10.4 million viewers in the Nielsen Live+Same Day ratings alone. That special starred Woody Harrelson and Marisa Tomei as Archie and Edith Bunker and Jamie Foxx and Wanda Sykes as George and Louise Jefferson, with many other major stars playing classic sitcom characters.

The first “Live in Front of a Studio Audience” also recently received three Emmy nominations, including one for best live variety special.

“Live in Front of a Studio Audience” will be produced by Kimmelot, ACT III Productions, Gary Sanchez Productions, D’Arconville and Sony Pictures Television.
https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/liv...ng-1203291787/
Old 08-06-19, 04:33 PM
Banned

Calling Mary Tyler Moore and Good Times.
Old 08-06-19, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,188 Likes on 4,215 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric F

Calling Mary Tyler Moore and Good Times.
I would assume you'd want to do shows that Norman Lear was involved with. There are plenty to choose from. MTM wasn't one of them.
Old 08-06-19, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

There was an episode of "All In The Family" in which "Maude" ran the house while Archie and the family were sick with the flu, - that would kill two birds with one stone.
Old 08-07-19, 12:24 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Decker
I would assume you'd want to do shows that Norman Lear was involved with. There are plenty to choose from. MTM wasn't one of them.
Nevermind, I missed the part where it said Norman Lear was coming back. Good Times seems realistic. I really hope they recast Archie if they're doing All in the Family again, Harrelson is terrible.
Old 10-20-19, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 206 Posts

Saw this last night on Hulu. Not a bad idea, but definitely some room for improvement. The sets looked great. Meathead and Gloria could have been played by anyone, their parts here were so minimal, but Ike wasn’t bad.

Tobolowsky sucked as the British neighbor. He’s a good character actor, but maybe get someone who can do an accent.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.