Reload this Page >

David Spade late night show coming to Comedy Central

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 04-18-19, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

He is coming back to Comedy Central with a new show

David Spade is returning to late-night TV, in a bid from Comedy Central that will shake up the way the network does business around midnight.David Spade, the comedian once famous for delivering the “Hollywood Minute” during the “Weekend Update” segment on “Saturday Night Live,” will devote considerably more time going forward to the Viacom-owned network, where he will later this year launch a new late-night series that will follow the network’s flagship “Daily Show.” At 11:30, Spade will go head to head with opening monologues from NBC’s Jimmy Fallon, CBS’ Stephen Colbert and ABC’s Jimmy Kimmel.

The series marks the first time in years the network hasn’t sought to follow “The Daily Show” with talent that initially came to light in that landmark program. In recent years, Comedy Central has stocked 11:30 with Stephen Colbert, Larry Wilmore and Jordan Klepper, all of whom first rose to greater renown interacting with either former “Daily” host Jon Stewart or current one Trevor Noah.

It’s also the first time that Comedy Central won’t deliberately set out to focus on political themes and national affairs in the time slot (to be sure, the social-media centered “@midnight” took up residence there for a while). The network found great success with the long-running “The Colbert Report,” which aired after Jon Stewart’s “Daily Show” between 2005 and 2014. Since that time, however, Comedy Central has had less luck.

Two other 11:30 p.m. programs, “The Nightly Show” and, more recently, “The Opposition,” did not prove sustainable despite positive notices for each.Spade is expected to focus on other areas of discussion, offering a “signature take on the pop culture news of the day,” according to the network. The program, which yet to be titled and will include a rotating group of celebrities and comedians. With this choice, Spade and Comedy Central will be moving against the current grain. Many of the newest offerings in late-night tend to center around national news and a news cycle driven by President Donald Trump.
https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/dav...al-1203136036/

Old 04-18-19, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: David Spade late night show coming to Comedy Central

Thanks for the alert, Jeff. I'm very much looking forward to this. I don't think I have seen any Spade's movies, because they invariably receive terrible reviews, but I have always found him hilarious when I saw him here or there (e.g. on Dennis Miller's classic old HBO show), and his shamefully brief-of-life "The Showbiz Show" was pure side-splitting enjoyment.
Old 04-18-19, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Interesting choice for Comedy Central. He's definitely not political in his humor. Spade has always been good in small doses.
Old 04-19-19, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Finally a late night show I may actually watch. Anthony Jeselnik is getting one on CC soon as well.
Old 04-20-19, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

^Good to hear that about Jeselnik. He had a show a few years ago. I hadn't heard of or seen him prior to it, but I found him funny. In the meantime I have seen him on a couple of those roasts.
Old 04-20-19, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Norm de Plume View Post
Thanks for the alert, Jeff. I'm very much looking forward to this. I don't think I have seen any Spade's movies, because they invariably receive terrible reviews, but I have always found him hilarious when I saw him here or there (e.g. on Dennis Miller's classic old HBO show), and his shamefully brief-of-life "The Showbiz Show" was pure side-splitting enjoyment.
I will set my dvr when this premieres
Old 05-09-19, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Norm de Plume View Post
^Good to hear that about Jeselnik. He had a show a few years ago. I hadn't heard of or seen him prior to it, but I found him funny. In the meantime I have seen him on a couple of those roasts.
From his recent podcast it sounds like the show will be filming in about a month for weekly airing starting the weekend after Labor Day. Six episodes where he will invite comics to a sit-down interview style show taped in front of an audience.

FYI in case you have access to Netflix he also recently released another live special Fire in the Maternity Ward.