TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

SNL (S44S18) -- 04/13/19 -- H: Emma Stone -- MG: BTS

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-19, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,100 Likes on 796 Posts
Re: SNL (S44S18) -- 04/13/19 -- H: Emma Stone -- MG: BTS

Originally Posted by Franchot
With that said, what is SNL's target audience? Do millennials and youngest people make up a large percentage of their viewers? I'm thinking that SNL appeals more to older viewers who grew up with the show.

Then again, SNL is probably trying to attract more viewers by presenting acts such as BTS. (Kind of like Ed Sullivan featuring The Beatles on his show back in the days.)

Is this tactic working to bring in more viewers to SNL?
At this point doesn't SNL just exist and continue to exist as an institution. Not that NBC has NO interest in SNL's ratings, but does anything on SNL from week to week really appear to be part of a coherent strategy to attract and sustain viewership by any particular demographic group?
Old 04-15-19, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 723 Likes on 590 Posts

Trump bashes them so people are watching

It is not always funny but I would be pissed if they ever cancel the show but that won;t happen since they constantly reinvent themselves with new cast members and generations of fans so they never go stale.
Old 04-15-19, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Maybe this explains why Sandler has not done the show until this year

Comedian Adam Sandler is returning to the "Saturday Night Live" stage more than two decades after he left the cast. He will make his hosting debut May 4 with musical guest Shawn Mendes, NBC announced Friday.It will be Sandler's first time hosting the show that first made him a household name. He joined "SNL" in 1990 as a writer before working as a cast member from 1991-1995. He created a slew of popular characters and skits, including "The Chanukah Song" and "Opera Man." "We are happy to welcome Adam back to 'SNL' in what is sure to be a special night," said executive producer Lorne Michaels in a press release Friday.Sandler and co-star Chris Farley were fired from "SNL" in 1995. "Yes, we were [fired]," Sandler said in a 2014 interview. "We kind of quit at the same time as being fired. It was the end of the run for us. The fact that me and him got fired? Who knows. We were on it for a few years, had our run, and everything happens for a reason. We kind of understood because we did our thing. It hurt a lot at the time because we were young and didn't know where we were going, but it all worked out.

In 2014, Sandler told Norm Macdonald that he had no interest in going back to host "SNL." "Why should I?" he said on Macdonald's podcast. "I don't know how good it would be. I'm slow now," he said. "I did what I could do on that show."

Sandler has had cameos on the show over the years, and returned for the 40th anniversary special in 2015, where he sang "That's When You Break" with Andy Samberg and Bill Hader.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/adam-sa...s-hosting-snl/
Old 04-15-19, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts

Wait, why were he and Farley fired?

edited to add:
reading up on it, it seems like the ratings were dismal and Lorne's job was on the line that year, because they totally overhauled the cast (with the Will Ferrell group) in '95, but IIRC Farley had been in several lorne michaels movies at that point and Sandler was a budding star.

Last edited by fujishig; 04-15-19 at 08:27 PM.
Old 04-16-19, 03:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

I know hindsight is 20/20. But SNL fired Chris Farley and Adam Sandler. Fired them. Just let that sink in. 2 guys that would probably rate in the Top 10 SNL cast members ever, by just about anyone making a list. Especially Farley. Hell, I think the argument could be made that Farley was the best SNL cast member of all-time. Ratings be damned, that just blows my mind.
Old 04-16-19, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I did not like the 1995 cast with Will Ferrell, Kattan, Molly Shannon etc but Ferrell obviously was talented and became huge though that mid to late 90's cast was not my favorite.