TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Game of Thrones (S8E01) -- Season Premiere -- "Winterfell" -- 4/14/19

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-19, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts
Re: Game of Thrones (S8E01) -- Season Premiere -- "Winterfell" -- 4/14/19

Originally Posted by funkyryno
Isn't dragon glass just obsidian? Why was Gendry pounding it with a hammer when it's essentially just glass? As far as I know, it can't be forged. The stones can only be fractured into crude Stone Age blades, spearheads and arrowheads.
I thought he was pounding the metal bindings that attached the handle to the axe head. Obsidian is pretty fragile so you need to chip little pieces off to make blade edges. Native Americans used other rocks to break off big chunks and sticks to break off smaller chips when they would shape spear/arrow heads.
My take on the set up was they were just using metal as parts to attach the dragonglass to.
Old 04-17-19, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Oh, and I thought Jaime's wig and hair club for men "disguise" was godawful.

No wonder Bran caught him slipping so easily. He fooled no one with that look.
Old 04-17-19, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,131 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Oh, and I thought Jaime's wig and hair club for men "disguise" was godawful.

No wonder Bran caught him slipping so easily. He fooled no one with that look.

Bran knew he was coming though. Jaime was the old friend he was waiting for. Bran's visions are Wig Proof...
Old 04-17-19, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by leeta
My best guesses:

ALIVE:

Jon and Dany - sharing rule of the Seven Kingdoms
Tyrion - rules as Warden in the South
Arya - kills ice dragon - becomes Hand to Jon and Dany
Bran/Three-Eyed Raven
Sansa - saved by Brianna
The Hound
Asha Greyjoy
Gendry - Master Blacksmith - marries Arya
Sam, Gilly and Little Sam - House Tarly
Drogon
Nymeria - shows up in the big fight and helps Arya defeat the ice dragon (50/50 survival for the direwolf if this happens)

DEAD:

Cersei - Jaime kills her
Jaime - dies fighting the Ice King
Bronn - dies saving Tyrion
Brianna - dies saving Sansa
Tormund - dies fighting alongside Brianna
Varys - betrays Dany or Jon
Theon Greyjoy - kills Euron
Euron Greyjoy
The Mountain
Qyburn
Smaller dragon
what about mad dog girl?
Old 04-17-19, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Aphex Twin
what about mad dog girl?
And Bronn's 3 hookers?
Old 04-17-19, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,262 Likes on 840 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
People don't die in redemption stories?

And while I agree about Jamie, for better or worse, they're dead set on making Theon the ultimate GoT redemption story.
Sure, I guess he can die doing something heroic.
Old 04-17-19, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts

I liked ep01. Building a good climax, so I'm impressed so far.
Old 04-17-19, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by funkyryno
Isn't dragon glass just obsidian? Why was Gendry pounding it with a hammer when it's essentially just glass? As far as I know, it can't be forged. The stones can only be fractured into crude Stone Age blades, spearheads and arrowheads.
I thought it was commented in the episode (very quickly and casually) about the craftmanship challenges of forming metal around the obsidian. Which is why this guy was so good and valued. But yeah it's not forged just the shell of metal that retains it in a tight position.
Old 04-18-19, 04:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can someone clear something up for me? Is The Mountain dead? Is he a walking, head smashing corpse, or is there some semblance of life? Because if he's dead, couldn't the Night King conscript him into his undead army? Would be a shocker if The Mountain Martelled Cersei's head. Y'know, sometimes prophecies are BS.

If Jon rides a dragon, Dany should know he's a Targaryen, that he's related, so why isn't she at least a little upset that she's committing incest? Reminds me of when Luke finds out Leia is his sister, and he doesn't look shocked and embarrassed as he thinks back of all the times he fantasized shooting a load into her face. Then again no one seems to be questioning Jon's resurrection, not even debating whether it truly happened, or, the fact that he's abandoned his watch. Sam's still on the Night's Watch, yes? So, can't be Lord Tarly?

Dany, to me, at least, is slowly becoming a true Targaryen. She made Tarly's men her slaves. Join me, or, burn. Will she burn Sansa? How will she react when she finds out about Jon's true lineage? That he's the King? Will Arya pump Gendry's bladder? Will Tyrion say anything witty, and profound? Will Varys, The Spider for fuck's sake, do anything at all? Will he be involved in the story? Or, is he just fodder now? Theon's Seal Team Six, Seven, Eight, Nine, Ten sure rescued Yara quickly. I mean, I bent down and scratched my leg, and when I looked up, Yara was free! Fuck battling the Night King, send in Theon, the man's a marvel!

I'm rambling, I do that, it is my cross.

Kill the Night King, kill them all. Classic trope. Easy out. Of course, it could be worse, there is the time traveling theory, where Bran resets everything, unless he's too busy watching Arya, and Gendry forge their fire. Please, God, if you're out there, please, have pity, not time travel, not that, not that.
Old 04-18-19, 06:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
Is it just me, or has the dialog writing gone to shit?
The show used to have some very clever dialog, and now so much of it is so cringe-inducing...

- "She is the smartest person i have met"
- "I am going to put a prince in your belly"
- "Then keep your queen warm"
- "Did you bend the knee because you love her?"

Fucking yikes!
I agree completely. "What do dragons eat?" "Whatever they want." That was groan-inducing (not to mention unoriginal).
Old 04-18-19, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 1,280 Likes on 731 Posts

I'll be disappointed if this show doesn't end with Lyanna Mormont ruling the seven kingdoms.
Old 04-18-19, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by smokedragon
Can someone clear something up for me? Is The Mountain dead? Is he a walking, head smashing corpse, or is there some semblance of life? Because if he's dead, couldn't the Night King conscript him into his undead army? Would be a shocker if The Mountain Martelled Cersei's head. Y'know, sometimes prophecies are BS.
It sounds like he is alive. Qyburn saved him.

https://gameofthrones.fandom.com/wiki/Gregor_Clegane

Despite his exceedingly gruesome death, Oberyn nonetheless manages to get some posthumous revenge. Before the duel, Oberyn had his spears coated with manticore venom, one of the deadliest poisons in the known world. The venom causes Gregor's wounds to start putrefying, emitting an overpowering stench. As a final torture, the venom forces him to remain conscious during the whole ordeal, even with dead flesh hanging off of him. Grand Maester Pycelle regretfully tells Queen Cersei that Ser Gregor is beyond any hope of healing. Qyburn, however, an expelled former maester with extensive medical knowledge gained from "repugnant" and "unnatural" experimentation on living people, suggests that he may be able to save him. Cersei dismisses Pycelle and gives Qyburn permission to do anything he can to save Ser Gregor (likely out of gratitude for sealing Tyrion's fate and her 'revenge' on him for the death of Joffrey), though he says that his unorthodox methods may "change" him. She nervously asks if he means the process will weaken Gregor, but Qyburn knowingly assures her it will not.

If Jon rides a dragon, Dany should know he's a Targaryen, that he's related, so why isn't she at least a little upset that she's committing incest? Reminds me of when Luke finds out Leia is his sister, and he doesn't look shocked and embarrassed as he thinks back of all the times he fantasized shooting a load into her face. Then again no one seems to be questioning Jon's resurrection, not even debating whether it truly happened, or, the fact that he's abandoned his watch. Sam's still on the Night's Watch, yes? So, can't be Lord Tarly?
Targaryens are cool with Incest. There is a history of it.

5 Times Targaryens Banged Each Other and Bad Stuff Happened
Old 04-18-19, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveNinja
I thought he was pounding the metal bindings that attached the handle to the axe head. Obsidian is pretty fragile so you need to chip little pieces off to make blade edges. Native Americans used other rocks to break off big chunks and sticks to break off smaller chips when they would shape spear/arrow heads.
My take on the set up was they were just using metal as parts to attach the dragonglass to.
OK. That makes the most sense.

I took an archaeology class in college a long time ago. In one of our lab sessions we learned how to make stone tools, and it does take a surprising amount of skill to do it right. We didn't use obsidian -- probably would've been a lot of cut hands if we had.
Old 04-18-19, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The episode was reportedly most pirated in India with 10 million views and China with five million views.
Sounds a little low.
Old 04-18-19, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So, in most list of who dies and who survives, even here, I get the feeling that people forget that this is Game of Thrones.

I'm expecting a lot of dead people, "good" and "bad" guys. I'm not expecting a "happy" ending.

I can see Danni going crazy and dying. Jon Snow can be a Christ figure, etc. Maybe Sansa will survive and rule the new world.

Or maybe Sansa and Cercei will need to share the power.

Yes, there may be a few gifts to fans, but I expect the rest of the episodes to be classic GoT.
Old 04-19-19, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Raul3
So, in most list of who dies and who survives, even here, I get the feeling that people forget that this is Game of Thrones.

I'm expecting a lot of dead people, "good" and "bad" guys. I'm not expecting a "happy" ending.
Yes, there may be a few gifts to fans, but I expect the rest of the episodes to be classic GoT.
But has it really been that way since they started going past the books? While they have kept up on the killing off of characters, it seems to have settled into more typical storytelling where it is mostly scheming "bad" guys getting their just desserts.

Major character deaths:
Season 6 - Margaery, Tommen, Roose Bolton, Ramsay Bolton, Balon Greyjoy, High Sparrow, Pycelle, Hodor
Season 7 - Walder Frey, Littlefinger, Lady Olenna, the Martell women (sand snakes).

Add to that, during season 6 Jon (good guy) is resurrected from the dead, and The Hound -- who we last saw in season 4 being left for dead -- returns and is now a (relatively) good guy.
Old 04-19-19, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts

Wild-ass guess predictions:

No one is going to kill Cercei. She'll take her own life first.

Bronn will be forced to kill Jamie. Tyrion will witness this, tell Bronn how dishonorable he is. Bronn will end up letting Tyrion live. Bronn walks away, fate unknown.

Dany's actions at the Battle of Winterfell will be seen as betrayal of the North. Ayra attempts to kill Dany "for the North, for the family." and will be roasted by the dragons. This will cause a split between Jon and Dany that will lead to the climactic scene of the series.
Old 04-19-19, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

The Mountain will be unleashed and he will fuck shit up. The only way I see him dying is by a dragon.
Old 04-19-19, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,200 Likes on 4,227 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
The Mountain will be unleashed and he will fuck shit up. The only way I see him dying is by a dragon.
Seriously? Everyone else thinks he will die at the hands of The Hound. I would be SHOCKED if that doesn't happen.
Old 04-19-19, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Jason
Wild-ass guess predictions:

No one is going to kill Cercei. She'll take her own life first.

Bronn will be forced to kill Jamie. Tyrion will witness this, tell Bronn how dishonorable he is. Bronn will end up letting Tyrion live. Bronn walks away, fate unknown.

Dany's actions at the Battle of Winterfell will be seen as betrayal of the North. Ayra attempts to kill Dany "for the North, for the family." and will be roasted by the dragons. This will cause a split between Jon and Dany that will lead to the climactic scene of the series.
I predict none of this happens.

- Cercei must die a horrible death, just like Joffrey or expect audiences to come out with pitch forks and torches.

- The only way I see someone "forcing" Bronn to do something he doesn't want to do is if he has a knife at his throat behind a tree and says: "He dies or you die, shoot him now." Possible since he was given a crossbow, but I say it's highly unlikely.

- I think that despite heavy losses, Dany will have proven her worth as an ally and show that Jon was right when he said to Lyanna Mormont: "titles don't matter". I think the split between Jon and Dany naturally occurs when he says to her: "Hey guess what, you're my aunt and I get to sit on the Iron Throne, not you! Hehehe!". Sounds contradictory but I think that as much as he doesn't want the title of King, he'll be forced to assume it.
Old 04-19-19, 08:06 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

The Hound and the Mountain will kill each other.
Old 04-19-19, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by TGM
The Hound and the Mountain will kill each other.
Not before reconciling and heading south to open the Summer Islands hottest new gastropub where they adopt a chimp and find themselves in countless wacky situations while pursuing their true love of solving mysteries.
Old 04-20-19, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker

Seriously? Everyone else thinks he will die at the hands of The Hound. I would be SHOCKED if that doesn't happen.
They die together by dragon fire.
Old 04-20-19, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 236 Likes on 169 Posts

I believe that Dany will be pregnant in the final season.
Old 04-20-19, 09:37 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

I’m guessing she’ll go down in some way. I don’t think she’ll make it to rule in the end.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.