Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

How do you catch up on shows you're way way behind on?

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: How do you catch up on TV shows you're way behind on?
Paid streaming service
57.14%
From the DVR (with space holding up)
64.29%
On demand
35.71%
A free Ad supported stream
14.29%
Physical media
21.43%
Re-Airs on TV (if they happen)
0%
Legal records from OTA/Cable stored on my computer
7.14%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-09-19, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I'm sure most here are not caught up on every TV show they try to follow, so how do you catch up?

DVR? If you have enough room to record everything.

A paid streaming service that carries that show. Like Hulu, Netflix, CBS All-Access

On demand

A free ad supported stream?

and do you simply not care to be caught up and wait months later until physical media.

I'm only putting legal ways for you all to catch up, not shady means like Torrents, APKs, IPTVs or Unofficial streams.

** Just my opinion, but no one should be using Torrents in 2019 especially with so many legal and safe options out there.

Last edited by DJariya; 04-09-19 at 01:05 PM.
Old 04-09-19, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: How do you catch up on shows you're way way behind on?

Mostly On Demand for me but sometimes Hulu.
Old 04-09-19, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Actually though, if I end up "way behind" I usually just delete the season pass from the DVR, delete the recordings and move on with my life. Obviously the show didn't mean that much to me anymore. The difference would be if it was an existing show that I decided to start watching, due to word of mouth, etc. Then I will catch up from Netflix or the channels streaming app, and build up new episodes on the DVR.
Old 04-09-19, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by bralph View Post
Actually though, if I end up "way behind" I usually just delete the season pass from the DVR, delete the recordings and move on with my life. Obviously the show didn't mean that much to me anymore. The difference would be if it was an existing show that I decided to start watching, due to word of mouth, etc. Then I will catch up from Netflix or the channels streaming app, and build up new episodes on the DVR.
I think this can go both ways. You can be behind because you've lost interest in keeping up with it weekly or you can be behind because of all the content being released weekly, monthly etc. and be overwhelmed.

There's plenty of TV shows that I enjoy, but I'm behind on because as I try to catch up, 5-10 more new episodes or shows premiere. Then as you try to catch up, you fall behind on the new stuff.

I know there's only so many hours in the day to watch TV, so many shows simply just can't get watched by people, especially by the folks in this forum.
Old 04-09-19, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Depends on the show.

If a show is largely episodic/procedural, I'll frequently delete a large block of episodes I am far behind on. If I'm still interested in the show, I may watch new episodes live or semi-live if I'm at home during the evening. I do this frequently with current shows in the NCIS and Chicago (NBC) franchises.

If a show is highly serialized, I will frequently end up just dropping the show entirely if I'm too far behind.
Old 04-09-19, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, if I get behind on a show that's heavily serialized and like an hour long I usually just drop it entirely. Even something like Better Call Saul where I was a big fan of it and the show it spun-off from I kind of let that happen. I got behind with it in season three and haven't gone back (though I would like to eventually). I find it hard because typically with shows like that I like to have them fresh and not have large gaps between when I watch them beyond the hiatus between seasons. If I went back to Better Call Saul for instance I'd want to just start all the way over.
Old 04-09-19, 04:44 PM

Depends, if it's a show that doesn't always have its content 100% available on streaming apps, I still DVR them quite a bit (AMC, FX, Sundance, IFC, etc.). Otherwise, pretty much use streaming services.
Old 04-10-19, 05:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I think I had two seasons of the Simpsons saved but I was running out of space so I erased them but If I really care for a show I never get behind.

I still have the Muppets the ABC series from a couple of years ago saved and plan to watch someday.

Last edited by JeffTheAlpaca; 04-10-19 at 06:04 PM.
Old 04-10-19, 06:05 AM

I wait for the disc release of a show, if it dosent get one i dont bother.
Old 04-10-19, 07:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I've gotten to a point where if I let a show backup on my DVR, I realize it's not important enough for my time and stop watching it. It's actually been very refreshing to just delete stuff rather than slog through it out of habit.
Old 04-10-19, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Sometimes I will try and record a show on the DVR in low def, it buys me more time, my Oppo-203 has a great up-convert feature where it does make the SD look pretty good. I still have the season of Yellowstone and killing eve sitting there, if I don't watch by the end of the summer, those will be deleted.

I just let the last 4 eps of manifest go, figured I would delete those as the show never really grew on me.

Sometimes I will hope it will find its way to Amazon or Netflix as a re-stream, I don't own a Hulu account so its DVR or bust or one of the streaming apps I subscribe to. I don't like on demand, I hate to sit through commercials. There is so much material now, if it's a great show to me, I make time and it doesn't sit in the que. But Stuff like Yellowstone, killing eve, little drummer girl, I will give them an extended chance especially if its more of a slow burn show.
Old 04-10-19, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
I've gotten to a point where if I let a show backup on my DVR, I realize it's not important enough for my time and stop watching it. It's actually been very refreshing to just delete stuff rather than slog through it out of habit.
That's pretty much the way I am. Pretty much a sign that the show isn't that important to me, so why bother.
Old 04-10-19, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Outside of a handful of shows that I stay current on, most things just pile up on my DVR, and I watch the things at the back of my DVR. For example, I just finished Outcast on Saturday and Camping last night, and I started Dirty John and the latest season of Poldark last weekend. I'm not a binge watcher, but in addition to current things I try to watch 1-2 episodes a week of the 4-5 back of the DVR shows that I'm watching. When space becomes an issue things go.
Old 04-10-19, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by bralph View Post
Actually though, if I end up "way behind" I usually just delete the season pass from the DVR, delete the recordings and move on with my life. Obviously the show didn't mean that much to me anymore.
This. I used to be "in it until the end" on all the shows I watch but there just isn't enough time and way too much content. I just deleted season passes (and two seasons of unwatched episodes) for both Walking Dead and Supergirl.
Old 04-11-19, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I will pull the plug and delete shows if the backlog builds up beyond 4-5 episodes. The only exceptions are personal favorites and shows with incredible buzz. Occasionally I will wait until they show up on a streaming service and then catch it.
Old 04-17-19, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by MrRound2 View Post
I wait for the disc release of a show, if it dosent get one i dont bother.
I've found that buying the complete series dvd (or bluray) set shortly after the show went off the air, is highly variable.

I've found that for some shows where I watched then-current episodes as many as a dozen times during the week(s) between new episodes, the dvd/bluray sets had very little to no rewatch value for me. For example, such as shows like Person of Interest, Fringe, etc ...
Old 04-17-19, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I either buy the complete series on dvd, bluray, or streaming service; or I give up on the show. Usually the latter. There's enough other stuff I want to watch and get through to finish watching a show that didn't keep me watching.
Sometimes, on rare occasions, I may come back and revisit the show. A few years ago I watched the first season and first few eps of S2 of Orphan Black, then I wanted to try it again so I bought it on Vudu. Though I'm not bingeing it, I am working my way through and more into it this time.