DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   The Walking Dead: World Beyond — another Walking Dead spinoff (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/647306-walking-dead-world-beyond-%97-another-walking-dead-spinoff.html)

dex14 04-08-19 08:18 AM

The Walking Dead: World Beyond — another Walking Dead spinoff

AMC is making good on its promise to continue expanding the Walking Dead universe, with the cabler announcing on Monday that it has ordered a third series set in new “unseen pocket” (read: the future) of the zombie apocalypse.

The follow-up to Walking Dead and Fear the Walking Dead — co-created by franchise overlord Scott M. Gimple and longtime TWD scribe Matt Negrete — will, per AMC, “feature two young female protagonists and focus on the first generation to come-of-age in the apocalypse as we know it. Some will become heroes. Some will become villains. In the end, all of them will be changed forever. Grown-up and cemented in their identities, both good and bad.”

Negrete will serve as showrunner on the untitled spinoff, which will begin production this summer ahead of a 2020 debut.

“Showing audiences an unseen pocket of The Walking Dead universe steeped in a new mythology is a very cool way to celebrate a ‘Decade of the Dead’ on TV and over 15 years of Robert Kirkman’s brilliant comic,” said Gimple in a statement. “Matt Negrete is one of the best writer-producers in TWD’s long history — I’m thrilled to be working beside him to tell stories unlike we’ve seen before, taking our first step into an even larger world.”

“We’re thrilled that the Dead will keep walking into a new corner of the post-apocalyptic world, a corner that will present stories and characters unlike any that The Walking Dead has dramatized thus far, and that is bound to excite one of the most passionate fanbases in television,” said David Madden, AMC’s head of programming.

News of the third TWD series arrives one week after the conclusion of the mothership’s ninth season and two months before the launch of Fear the Walking Dead‘s fifth season. As previously reported, AMC is also developing a series of Rick Grimes-centric Walking Dead TV movies, with Andrew Lincoln reprising his signature role.
https://tvline.com/2019/04/08/walkin...nVsinMvoVOd894

VinVega 04-08-19 01:23 PM

re: The Walking Dead: World Beyond — another Walking Dead spinoff

I think I’ll pass on this one. I’m 50/50 on whether I will watch FTWD in June. It’s just overkill at this point.

TGM 04-08-19 01:26 PM

I gave up on FTWD after S1... and while I admit that the past season has been better than previous years I'm giving up TWD as I just don't care about any of these characters anymore. With that said I'll give a new series a shot because I like the genre but it will be on a very short leash.

Bill Needle 04-08-19 01:26 PM

Nope.

DJariya 04-08-19 01:35 PM

Don't forget that Andrew Lincoln has some Walking Dead movies in the works and a possible "Rick" series as well. So there may be another spinoff.

Finisher 04-08-19 02:32 PM

It's like this network has its head in the sand and is in denial that the show is a total piece of shit and people don't care.

Coral 04-08-19 03:06 PM

In the new series they should give the walkers a different strain of the virus which causes them to walk backwards.

movieguru 04-08-19 03:15 PM

I still like the original. I stopped watching Fear during the second season. This one seems to have a different angle on it as it's those who were born or came of age after the zombie apocalypse so it may be interesting. I'll give it a shot when it comes out, but I'm more interested in the Rick Grimes tv movies.

Giantrobo 04-08-19 04:42 PM

I'm in, til I'm not in. :up:

Koby 04-08-19 07:28 PM

I think the casting of the leads will be the deciding factor for me as to whether or not I'll tune in.

Jason 04-08-19 07:52 PM

Yay, more stupid people surviving in spite of themselves.

VinVega 04-08-19 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by Finisher (Post 13529855)
It's like this network has its head in the sand and is in denial that the show is a total piece of shit and people don't care.

Until the ratings drop behind Real Housewives, AMC is going to continue to make this stuff.

Josh-da-man 04-08-19 10:27 PM

AMC and The Walking Dead is like watching a gambler coming off an extended lucky streak, realizing that it ended a while ago, but can’t bring himself to walk away from the table and stop pissing his winnings away.

Gizmo 04-09-19 09:40 AM

I think THIS IS US is a totally piece of shit too but apparently people watch it?

stvn1974 04-09-19 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by Gizmo (Post 13530302)
I think THIS IS US is a totally piece of shit too but apparently people watch it?

I hated this show back in the 1990's when it was called Thirty Something.

Geofferson 04-09-19 09:58 AM

I still watch both and frankly, that's enough.

Finisher 04-09-19 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by Gizmo (Post 13530302)

Is THIS IS US freefalling in the ratings? Are they coming out with a second THIS IS US spinoff? Are they planning THIS IS US movies?

Obi-Wanma 04-09-19 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by Finisher (Post 13530334)
Are they planning THIS IS US movies?

They already came out.

windom 04-09-19 11:50 AM

This is Us does have some sort of an aftershow also, but it's online only and not hosted by Chris Hardwick. It seems they have a plan to end the show after a few more seasons though.

TomOpus 04-09-19 12:01 PM

It seems an ex-Otter's boyfriend is a childhood friend of Matt Negrete. Of course she's friends with him, too. Too bad she no longer posts here. Might've got a zombie named after an Otter.

Gizmo 04-09-19 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by Finisher (Post 13530334)
Is THIS IS US freefalling in the ratings? Are they coming out with a second THIS IS US spinoff? Are they planning THIS IS US movies?

from a 2.9 to a 1.6? Yeah it’s a free Fall IMO.

TWD has a shit ton of merchandise and conventions and deals with theme parks....

B5Erik 04-10-19 01:41 AM

Originally Posted by Jason (Post 13530089)
Yay, more stupid people surviving in spite of themselves.

And the less stupid people that are more likable get killed off because, well, just because!

I gave up on TWD about 2 years ago and I don't miss it one bit. It became repetitive and stories just recycled the same ideas. What started off as a great show went downhill fast around the 5th season or so.

Shannon Nutt 04-10-19 06:22 AM

I'm trying to think of another series I used to really love and came to hate because of what the showrunners (and network) did to it. The X-Files comes close, but I never grew to hate it the way I can't stand Walking Dead now.

Josh-da-man 04-10-19 06:54 AM

I’d probably hate Walking Dead if it was an original property and not based on a comic book. I’ve never been able to get into Fear the Walking Dead, possibly because there’s no comic book anchor for it. It’s like, with TWD, I knew that Negan was out there years before Jeffrey Dean Morgan was cast, and I knew the Whisperers were out there, and I know where that voice on the radio is going to lead to as well. So it’s sort of interesting to see how all of this stuff will play out.

I view the tv series as more of a supplement to the authentic Walking Dead, which is the comic.

But now that they’ve removed Rick and Maggie, and killed off Carl, leaving only Michonne (who may be leaving soon), Darryl, and Carol as what’s left of the OG crew, it’s a really weird experience now.

Rick, Maggie, Carl, Michonne, and Jesus are still alive and kicking in the comics, while Darryl and Carol are characters original to the tv show. Carol is so different from her comic counterpart, who died early on in the prison arc in the comics, might as well be an original character.

Original Desmond 04-11-19 02:36 PM

This network has star trek syndrome. Pumping out any old spin off/sequel. Unfortunately enough people watch to warranr this

Fear the Walking dead was really at it's best for the one episode where it transitioned the real world to the zombie apocaplyse

I would love to see a series showing this transition way more stretched out. Start 100 percent in the real world and the early stages of one case and slowly move from there

a"you never know who will turn next' scenario, not everyone turn at once