TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Amazing Race Season 31 Premieres Wednesday April 17th at 9/8c

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-19, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts
Re: The Amazing Race Season 31 Premieres Wednesday April 17th at 9/8c

Originally Posted by Bill Needle
Victor and Nicole for me, but I doubt they actually pull it off. Nicole will finally be too much for Victor to overcome at some point.
Big Brother teams have usually rubbed me the wrong way, but these two have seemed likable. Very mean to u turn Nicole on her birthday
Old 06-21-19, 06:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

I'm surprised how much I like all the teams left, maybe save for the Afganimals but it's not like I hate them. I'm probably rooting for Colin and Christie and Victor and Nicole but I won't be upset if any of these teams win.
Old 06-24-19, 07:26 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

In the finale preview, seeing
Spoiler:
Christie crying in the helicopter
makes me think they are the winners.
Old 06-24-19, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

I thought the same thing when I saw that. I don't like that they showed that, but it's probably misdirection.
Old 06-24-19, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Neitzl
I thought the same thing when I saw that. I don't like that they showed that, but it's probably misdirection.
I hope it is misdirection, not because I am rooting against them but just because I don't want to be able to guess the winner based on the preview.
Old 06-27-19, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

Even though I watched last week's preview, spoilers didn't jump out at me. But I still avoided the spoiler hypotheses here ... and it looks like you were right! Didn't think much of it at the time since if any tears are shed it's a guarantee to be shown.

I felt bad for how blatantly the other teams were conspiring so Victor and Nicole were eliminated. At least their elimination seemed to be of their own doing (wasting too much time on the rowing challenge before switching). Tough way for Afghanimals to go out. They came across as asses to me a lot of this season, but still felt bad for Leo just getting crushed by the bank vault. Since there was no sign of them catching up to the other teams at later challenges he must've been there alone a really long time.

Both of the two final teams were extremely deserving winners. Has any reality contest show had a player with more a personal turnaround between appearances than Colin?
Old 06-27-19, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Except fro the repel (they were just lowered) great legs once again! I had two of the final 4 teams in our Amazing Race Game, and still lost lol

Last edited by TheGuy; 06-27-19 at 08:20 PM.
Old 06-27-19, 10:21 PM

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

For me this was one of the best seasons of AR in a LONG time and I've seen every one!

Great teams with good backstories, great countries visited - some of them repeats with the same challenges, some amazing new challenges that I must admit I don't think I could do myself, and just overall great polished delivery of a show concept that most probably wrote off long ago.

I loved the final challenge with Seven Nation Army blasting away in the background altho its kind of disappointing that they have moved away from the last challenge being about using your brain and what you remember from the journey you've been on. I guess they had to dumb it down.

Colin & Christie were a great team and I'm so happy to see them return after 15 years and actually win it after performing so embarrassingly when they were younger and more able bodied. Colin really got into the whole 'yoga Dad' thing. I have to wonder what the hell Christie did to him to get him to change his attitude so completely. At one point I think I heard him say something about feeling the flow of the universe during their cab ride!

I hope AR gets to keep coming back, it works great as a summer series when there is nothing else to watch.
Old 06-28-19, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 811 Likes on 600 Posts

Originally Posted by bluesix
For me this was one of the best seasons of AR in a LONG time and I've seen every one!
I agree. Great season with a great and very close finish. I think I saw Old Colin about to come out when he was getting onto Christie when she was very sternly talking to the cab driver.
Old 06-28-19, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Colin and Christie seem to have an amazing relationship, they balance each other out when either is going off the deep end. There were so many moments in the finale where they could've crashed from frustration, but they handled it perfectly. Colin not escalating any more when Christie started laying into the cab driver and when Christie refocused Colin in the drum challenge. They deserved the win.

I agree with the others, best season in a long time. Teams I had been annoyed with from previous races came off a lot better (Afghanimals and Tyler/Kory), great locations and fun challenges. I do wish they would bring back a brain puzzle for the ending.

What happened at the Market where Phil all of a sudden had to quiet down when checking in teams 2 & 3?
Old 06-28-19, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 215 Likes on 190 Posts

The next season, -which is probably already in the can, -will be all new teams.
Old 06-28-19, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Up there with one of the best seasons ever. As others have mentioned, great locales, difficult challenges, and a surprisingly likable assortment of teams.The last legs were especially grueling with the WW2 code, the scavenger hunt at Camden Market (a must-visit if you ever go to London), the directions/rowing, and the vault. The "Seven Nation Army" challenge and the peek inside Jack White's building were also treats.

I wouldn't mind seeing any of the final four teams in future seasons.
Old 06-28-19, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

You would think that Jack White would actually show up in the episode himself for all the publicity they gave him.
Old 06-28-19, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts

I would have loved to do that record-making challenge.

Seeing those machines made me want to open up a record pressing factory.
Old 06-28-19, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

I thought I would be happy with any of the top four winning, but I kind of was disappointed when Colin and Christine won. I think I liked him more than I liked her though. She really put me off this episode and her condescending tone to the cab driver. Colin is a beast though, and he handled himself really well, unlike before. So I was happy he won.
I really wanted Victor and Nicole but Nicole was so bad at many challenges. And her whining really got to me. Victor was great, I liked him from before in BB, but I like him even more now.
Tyler and Cory really came off much better than their first season. In that one, I liked them up until the next to last leg when they did some shady move, but I can't remember what it was.
The Aghanimals....well, they came off not so well, and Leo needs to learn to read well.

I love this show, and have loved every season, but this one was one of the best. I too wonder why Phil had to speak softer at the end of the Camden Market challenge.
Old 06-28-19, 04:21 PM

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Neitzl
I too wonder why Phil had to speak softer at the end of the Camden Market challenge.
Just a guess but I think they were trying not to play up which teams were placing in what order because they were so close to the final. It looked like they got to Camden Market early in the day but as the teams raced around you could see more and more people standing in the background with their phones recording what was going on, so Phil probably was trying not to announce too loudly what was going on to keep the surprise.

They did a good job of keeping the final four secret because I never heard anything about it but AR isn't as high profile as it once was.
Old 06-29-19, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 193 Likes on 155 Posts

Colin and Christie were one of the most dominant AR teams to not win so it is good to see a more mature, centered C/C come back 15 years later and win.

Tyler and Corey didn't bug me nearly as much as they did the first time around, but just about every team bugged me on the social media season.

Leo and Jamal got eliminated twice before in the penultimate leg because Leo fucked up a road block so this time they got to the final leg before they finished last because Leo fucked up a road block. They were dead the moment Jamal didn't do the final one.

I find Nicole more than a little grating.
Old 06-30-19, 04:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by mwbmis

I find Nicole more than a little grating.
She's probably a perfectly nice person, but she has a whiney quality to her and the high-pitched nature of her whining just makes it more annoying.
Old 06-30-19, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Having grown up in Michigan her voice is the sound of all my female relations. Still makes my ears bleed.

I grew up in Detroit but haven't been back to the city proper in years so it was nice to see it getting a positive spin on TV for once.
Old 06-30-19, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts

Originally Posted by DWilson
She's probably a perfectly nice person, but she has a whiney quality to her and the high-pitched nature of her whining just makes it more annoying.
Yeah, she has that annoying vocal fry going. And, on top of that, she's one of those infantilized women the Big Brother producers seem drawn to who act childlike and helpless, and cling to whatever "alpha" male is nearest. (Jordan is another one, who was also on TAR with Jeff.)
Old 07-01-19, 06:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Yeah, she has that annoying vocal fry going. And, on top of that, she's one of those infantilized women the Big Brother producers seem drawn to who act childlike and helpless, and cling to whatever "alpha" male is nearest. (Jordan is another one, who was also on TAR with Jeff.)
I thought about bringing that up, -I hated her gameplay on BB, -but, in the end, she won.
Old 07-01-19, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I thought about bringing that up, -I hated her gameplay on BB, -but, in the end, she won.
In her second go around. That was the season I finally quit watching BB (early in the season), but I'm pretty sure she latched onto a guy that season. In her first season, she did the flirtation stuff with a guy, but she, along with everyone else that season, was dominated by one of the best BB players of all time.

Honestly, if Amazing Race continues beyond the next season I think there is a much bigger chance of she and Victor breaking up than there is of them not being invited back. That's a wordy way of saying that if they stay a couple then I think it's almost guaranteed they will get another chance.
Old 07-01-19, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by mwbmis
In her second go around. That was the season I finally quit watching BB (early in the season), but I'm pretty sure she latched onto a guy that season. In her first season, she did the flirtation stuff with a guy, but she, along with everyone else that season, was dominated by one of the best BB players of all time.
Nicole had a showmance going in her second season, -but not with Victor. Generally someone like Nicole or Jordan (or this last season's winner) can win BB if they play a "safe" game (getting very little, -let's all say it, -"blood on her hands"), and end up across from someone who's played an "aggressive" game. From reading the BB transcripts, pretty much every "houseguest" pitches being on "The Amazing Race".
Old 07-01-19, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

From reading the BB transcripts, pretty much every "houseguest" pitches being on "The Amazing Race".
If they can make a name for themselves, the way CBS has fully committed to the cross-pollination then they probably have a shot. I wish CBS had been more open to it way back after BB8 given that Eric and Jessica had such a fun chemistry....though they would have been horrible at it. Of course, that relationship didn't last much past the beginning of BB9. If all else fails, the BB contestants can try to get on the MTV Challenge. Victor was on the season before last.
Old 07-01-19, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

You guys know that Victor and Nicole are engaged, right? Not that that guarantees anything.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.