TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Walking Dead (S9E16) -- Season Finale -- "The Storm" -- 3/31/19

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-19, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 848 Likes on 592 Posts
Re: The Walking Dead (S9E16) -- Season Finale -- "The Storm" -- 3/31/19

Originally Posted by Paff
No. They moved north upon meeting Eugene, who wanted to go to DC. How close they got is unknown, but I'd assume they're somewhere in the Maryland/Virginia area. Probably close to the Atlantic, hence "Oceanside". If they really want to add weather, why not subject them to a hurricane, which do occur in that part of the country?
Right, I forgot about their attempt at DC... but figured they didn't get far at all in their travels.

I don't know about anyone else, but if the ZA happens and resources are limited - I wouldn't be heading towards colder weather.
Don't need to worry about staying warm in the winters without electricity and gas, and you can farm most of the year.

Hell, I have all the resources I need now - and I still want to move someplace warm.
Old 04-02-19, 04:49 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

snow zombies were cool but still don't care about anybody. maybe if I trick myself into forgetting the awful shit Negan did and pretend he is John Winchester I could root for him. but probably not.
Old 04-02-19, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,027 Likes on 726 Posts

Originally Posted by Coral
Right, I forgot about their attempt at DC... but figured they didn't get far at all in their travels.

I don't know about anyone else, but if the ZA happens and resources are limited - I wouldn't be heading towards colder weather.
Don't need to worry about staying warm in the winters without electricity and gas, and you can farm most of the year.

Hell, I have all the resources I need now - and I still want to move someplace warm.
Good to know, fellow Southern Ontarian. You can't be more than 45 minutes from me.
Old 04-02-19, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by ben12
Yeah, I didn't understand why only three houses had fireplaces and that it was so difficult to walk from one house to another, even in a blinding snowstorm. Also, I've lived in the DC area during major snowstorms when we lost power for days and were trapped in our house. The fireplace didn't do shit! They're not really designed to warm a room. The only thing that worked to warm us up were camping stoves, which was super dangerous!
When I was a kid my mom and dad used kerosene heaters to warm up a room. I don't know if they are used much anymore or if they are still considered safe to use indoors.

I'm not quite sure, but does Alexandria have working electricity in their homes or running water for that matter? I thought their former leader mentioned Alexandria was designed to be self sufficient with regards to the utilities, but I noticed in one dinner scene with Michonne and the kids they were using candlelight so maybe they have to limit the use of the electricity. The houses are all clean and don't seem to show any effects from what you would expect if they didn't have modern utilities. All the residents also seem to be clean as if they shower daily, so it would seem they have some sanitary water capabilities.
Old 04-02-19, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,244 Likes on 855 Posts

Going to take quite a few things talked about above ...

Maggie — the group was asking if anybody had had any contact with Maggie. It was mentioned that they had sent multiple letters, but she had not responded.

Alexandria’s self sustaining resources — again, passing dialogue. It was said that the solar panels had crapped out. Coincidentally it happened at the same time as The Kingdom’s boiler system crapping out. And the only blizzard in ten years.

Seriously though ... regarding the past instances of candle use — if we are 10+ years into the zombie aocalypse, those solar panels would be deteriorating and dying. Even brand new, solar isn’t constant and wouldn’t meet their needs after the sun goes down without battery technology.

Heating sources indoors — any non-vented combustion heater will put you at risk from carbon monoxide. A proper fireplace can heat a significant portion of a home or it can be decorative/space heating. Just depends how it was designed and what it was meant for.

Some new issues ...

Oceanside — yep, back to being forgotten.

What was with the awkward time jump to Alpha and Beta?

I did like Negan’s new nickname for Gabriel ... “Father Not The Father”.
Old 04-02-19, 09:38 PM
Admin

Received 466 Likes on 306 Posts

What was the significance of Beta whipping Alpha?
Old 04-02-19, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 948 Likes on 722 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff

What was with the awkward time jump to Alpha and Beta?
Not sure there really was one. I think they fly south for the winter. Hence the reason the Kingdom-to-Hilltop travelers were not attacked when they went through Whisperers' territory; they weren't even there.

Old 04-03-19, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 215 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by VinVega
It's Alpha's method of toughening herself up for what's to come next (ominous music!). Or, actually, it's just in there to leave The Whisperers on an unsettling note, since they weren't directly involved in the episode.
Old 04-03-19, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts

I thought he was toughening her up for what is coming next. Just a guess.
Old 04-03-19, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I was guessing it was becuse she want to feel some kind of pain, wheather emotional or physical. She had just killed over 10 people but did not apear to have any pshychological pain from it. Either that or the opposite. She wanted to dull her sense of pain and become more cold, thereby making her stronger.
Old 04-03-19, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
Going to take quite a few things talked about above ...

Maggie — the group was asking if anybody had had any contact with Maggie. It was mentioned that they had sent multiple letters, but she had not responded.

Alexandria’s self sustaining resources — again, passing dialogue. It was said that the solar panels had crapped out. Coincidentally it happened at the same time as The Kingdom’s boiler system crapping out. And the only blizzard in ten years.

I may have missed the mentioning of the dialog for the solar panels. They don't seem to mention much about any utility issues. Fresh running water for showering. Bathrooms wouldn't work, so they would need outhouses or something to keep things sanitary. Most of their houses look to clean to not have the use of modern utilites. This is a nitpick, but most of the abandoned homes, many of which would have been abandoned for many years now have lawns where the grass is not very tall and little to no weeds. They should have weeds that are over 6 feet tall in most lawns by now.
Old 04-03-19, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 848 Likes on 592 Posts

Originally Posted by movieguru
This is a nitpick, but most of the abandoned homes, many of which would have been abandoned for many years now have lawns where the grass is not very tall and little to no weeds. They should have weeds that are over 6 feet tall in most lawns by now.
Yea, that was brought up many seasons ago and has generated some memes. It's just something that has to be ignored.

Old 04-04-19, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,259 Likes on 837 Posts

Question: Haven't seen S9 but I just changed tv provider and now have AMC. Do they replay seasons once they are over?
Old 04-05-19, 08:06 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by DWilson
It's Alpha's method of toughening herself up for what's to come next (ominous music!). Or, actually, it's just in there to leave The Whisperers on an unsettling note, since they weren't directly involved in the episode.
Originally Posted by d2cheer
I thought he was toughening her up for what is coming next. Just a guess.
It's her way of toughening up - hence the marks on Lydia's arm. She was trying to make her daughter tough, but it didn't work.
Old 04-05-19, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by eXcentris
Question: Haven't seen S9 but I just changed tv provider and now have AMC. Do they replay seasons once they are over?
Often. The week before a new season they'll often take a week or so to do a marathon of the series.
Old 04-05-19, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,259 Likes on 837 Posts

Originally Posted by DWilson
Often. The week before a new season they'll often take a week or so to do a marathon of the series.
Thanks. I assume it will be on Netflix before that.
Old 04-22-19, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 279 Likes on 180 Posts

Surprised I was only 3 weeks behind the actual finale airing. I'd been saving up Part II of this season on my DVR and knocked them all out over the past week. The Henry/Lydia story was predictable, boring, and cliched. The writers did catch me by surprise when they had all those deaths in the 2nd to last episode with some semi relevant characters.
Random, but I can't accept the Carol with the long hair look. She looks like a LOTR character. Hope its cut again (and yes, I did catch why she cut it short previously and now grew it out).
I would occasionally multitask while watching the episodes and only later did I notice the hot lesbian couple when they kissed. Who are they and when did they join the group?

The show is no longer appointment viewing and frankly hasn't been for a long time, but I'm not hate watching it. I'm also too far into it to give it up.
Old 04-23-19, 04:33 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by Osiris3657
The show is no longer appointment viewing and frankly hasn't been for a long time, but I'm not hate watching it. I'm also too far into it to give it up.
I didn't feel like I was giving up on it because it simply wasn't the same show anymore.

None of the characters are left, and the few that are don't act like themselves. The threat is never the undead anymore but a bunch of dickheads. It's like the show was retconned, or revamped into something totally different, and it sucks. All it's missing is Ted McGinley.
Old 06-02-19, 05:29 PM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

terrible terrible season finale

But begs the question

So all zombies are now frozen to 'death' ?
Old 09-24-19, 03:28 AM

Received 514 Likes on 370 Posts

The Walking Dead: Season 10 - $2.99
Amazon Amazon

This is a misprice so grab it quick before they fix it.
Old 09-28-19, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,244 Likes on 855 Posts

The 4 minute “bonus” feature is $2.99. (Or ... fixed.)
Old 10-03-19, 02:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 959 Likes on 666 Posts

Finally got caught up with TWD. I have to say I was pretty impressed with this season. Despite losing significant cast members it still worked. At least a lot more happened then the continuous will they won't they threat with Negan. Or maybe the bar is set so low for me that anything resembling a decent show surprises me now. I still like the cast a lot. I guess the general feeling around here is still bitching about this show but still continuing to watch it?
Old 10-03-19, 06:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by tanman
I guess the general feeling around here is still bitching about this show but still continuing to watch it?
Isn't that the general nature of the internet?