DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   The Walking Dead (S9E15) -- "The Calm Before" -- 3/24/19 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/647192-walking-dead-s9e15-calm-before-3-24-19-a.html)

DJariya 03-24-19 09:16 PM

The Walking Dead (S9E15) -- "The Calm Before" -- 3/24/19

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...ce4c4ae0fd.jpg

On the all-new episode, "The Calm Before," the fair at the Kingdom is underway, with all four communities coming together in celebration for the first time in years, while some pacts are renewed, other deals will come at a much steeper price. The episode is written by Geraldine Inoa and Channing Powell and directed by Laura Belsey.

Episode 15 of 16

Red Hood 03-24-19 09:26 PM

Re: The Walking Dead (S9E15) -- "The Calm Before" -- 3/24/19

Strong episode tonight. Felt bad for them killing Tara and Enid but man I fucking cheered when they showed Henry's head. That fucker shouldn't have been in the show at all. What a waste of a character.

andicus 03-24-19 09:49 PM

^Pretty much my thoughts.

My other thought was, now they know they're all in that canyon, it'd be good to attack them with some sort of napalm. :)

VinVega 03-24-19 10:26 PM

Oh well, a bunch of B level characters bit it. :shrug: So happy that Henry is gone. They never should have killed off Carl.

Red Hood 03-24-19 10:47 PM

Why is Scott Gimple still involved in this show at all?

Coral 03-24-19 11:14 PM

When they introduced the couple at the beginning of the episode, I knew it was simply because they couldn't spare any more A or even B tier characters to die
And then BLAMO! at the end.

It was actually a good and somewhat suspenseful episode - such a rarity.

I never watched Game of Thrones, but that reveal seemed to have a GOT vibe to it - both in amount of character deaths and heads on sticks seems like the kind of thing that show would do.

Sure, the characters aren't exactly upper tier - but Enid and Tara have been around a while (50 and 87 episodes respectively), and to a lesser extent Henry.
There just aren't many familiar characters left. If you were in more than 10 episodes of this show, you're a veteran now.
If Rick and/or Maggie come back, they're going to recognize like 4 people at this pace.

Pool Carol - lost another kid.

I wonder if the doctor's gonna feel survivor's remorse. Carl died saving him, and now everyone around him dies but him - including Carl's replacement. :lol:

Just how far away were they from the pit with the thousands of walkers? Because they'd have to be far away not to hear them.
I loved how we couldn't hear them until Daryl was about 10 yards away from the edge of the pit. :lol:

Tom Banjo 03-24-19 11:31 PM

Holy fuck.
I wasn’t expecting a Red Wedding tonight, but ok.

JZ1276 03-24-19 11:44 PM

I don't reads the comics, but read somewhere that in the comics it's the King, Rosita, Father Gabe, & other characters I cant recall who were killed this way.
The Whisperers did this just to mark their territory?
Couldn't they just say "Hey, this is our territory, don't come into our territory & there won't be any problems."
Wasn't all the heads on sticks a little extreme?

Abob Teff 03-24-19 11:45 PM

Was watching it on my DVR and the recording cut off a half hour early ... came here to ask if anybody else had that problem and ... DAMN! I never thought I would be the guy to bitch about spoiler tags, but wow.

Rebrodcast is on now. I don’t want to stay up till 1am to catch the end, but I also don’t want to wait till tomorrow now.

Coral 03-24-19 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by JZ1276 (Post 13522155)
The Whisperers did this just to mark their territory?
Couldn't they just say "Hey, this is our territory, don't come into our territory & there won't be any problems."
Wasn't all the heads on sticks a little extreme?

You may not be aware, but the Whisperers aren't nice people. :lol:
It's partially revenge and partially a message/warning.

Bill Needle 03-25-19 01:18 AM

I could not be more delighted with the characters they chose to kill off. We were calling out the names of the characters each of us wanted dead and I am pretty sure I was the only one that went two-for-two.

Bill Needle 03-25-19 01:47 AM

Originally Posted by Coral (Post 13522147)
Just how far away were they from the pit with the thousands of walkers? Because they'd have to be far away not to hear them.
I loved how we couldn't hear them until Daryl was about 10 yards away from the edge of the pit. :lol:

Set fire to a nearby copse of trees and sip your favorite beverage while watching the horde stumble into the flames, except of course for those that are Whisperers who you then easily identify and pick off.

Sure, it is possible a few Whisperers will escape and if they are particularly enamored with stupid and futile gestures they may spend another year or so gathering up another horde and you may have to do it again. But after three or four such cycles I'm pretty sure even the densest Whisperer will start finding other ways to waste their time.

Tom Banjo 03-25-19 04:38 AM

Originally Posted by Abob Teff (Post 13522156)
Was watching it on my DVR and the recording cut off a half hour early ... came here to ask if anybody else had that problem and ... DAMN! I never thought I would be the guy to bitch about spoiler tags, but wow.

Rebrodcast is on now. I don’t want to stay up till 1am to catch the end, but I also don’t want to wait till tomorrow now.

I read this happened to a lot of people. What horrible timing for it to mess up what’s probably the best episode in years.

darkdaze73 03-25-19 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by Abob Teff (Post 13522156)

Same here. They had the first showing scheduled for an hour and the repeat at an hour and 25 minutes. I dvr'ed that showing to finish today.

Koby 03-25-19 07:51 AM

Well that was unexpected. Would've been nice if they showed how one woman managed to take that many people unnoticed though.

DRG 03-25-19 09:12 AM

So with Tara gone, we're down to six remaining pre-Alexandria characters unless Maggie, Rick, or Morgan return at some point: Daryl, Carol, Michonne, Rosita, Eugene, and Gabriel. Aaron could be included I suppose if you count any time before they actually get to Alexandria.

andicus 03-25-19 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by Koby (Post 13522221)
Well that was unexpected. Would've been nice if they showed how one woman managed to take that many people unnoticed though.

Indeed. I would expect she had help, waiting, but still... That's a lot of people to secretly take out.

Josh-da-man 03-25-19 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by JZ1276 (Post 13522155)
I don't reads the comics, but read somewhere that in the comics it's the King, Rosita, Father Gabe, & other characters I cant recall who were killed this way.

Kind of, yeah...

Spoiler:

In the comics it was mostly a bunch of bit players, but the big ones were Luke (musician from Magda’s group), Rosita, and Ezekiel. Gabriel wasn’t one of them, though. They sort of did a fakeout in the comics where you just see Rick’s reaction and some dreadlocks, so you think the last reveal is Michonne, but the next page reveals Ezekiel.

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...47b448639.jpeg

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...1f636dc2c.jpeg

Josh-da-man 03-25-19 09:58 AM

Speaking of the comics, I wonder if they’ll go in this direction... where a new power couple emerges...

Spoiler:
Cover to #156.

some might think this is a doozy...

The previews were kind of vague, but that whole journey north of the wall wasn’t in the comics, so I don’t know where they’re going with any of this. Eugene has the radio, though, so it looks like something might be happening with that next season.

I think the final scene of the season should probably be “Wait until Rick gets a look at you.” (Well, it won’t be Rick, I guess...)

D'ohboy 03-25-19 10:23 AM

Haha, they sure were teasing comic readers with Ezekiel. Looking back, I should've guessed he was safe. (I swear he even made a joke about coming out ahead.)

I suppose Alpha and Beta had contingency plans, but I feel like the character of Daryl would've easily disarmed Alpha, or just tackled her into the pit.

Who the heck leads Hilltop now. Sure wish they could've made Jesus happy.

D'ohboy 03-25-19 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man (Post 13522300)
Speaking of the comics, I wonder if they’ll go in this direction... where a new power couple emerges...

I didn't see the preview for next week, and was guessing they might tease this for the finale.

DRG 03-25-19 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by D'ohboy (Post 13522324)
Who the heck leads Hilltop now. Sure wish they could've made Jesus happy.

Hell, who is even at Hilltop now that we actually know? Alden? The newbies?

d2cheer 03-25-19 10:41 AM

Ugh...Direct TV cut the ending off. But now I know what happened. :lol:

Josh-da-man 03-25-19 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by DRG (Post 13522331)
Hell, who is even at Hilltop now that we actually know? Alden? The newbies?

I wonder if, in season ten, they won’t consolidate all of the characters into a single community. You can get away with having multiple communities in the comics, but the metrics of tv make it difficult to sustain a handful of lead characters spread out geographically. So everyone will move to whichever place doesn’t get ransacked by the giant Whisperer herd.

If Danai leaves, there isn’t anyone left in Alexandria to lead, save for Aaron or Negan, and there’s nobody left at Hilltop. There’s just Ezekiel and Carol.

Paff 03-25-19 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man (Post 13522300)

Who is that? I recognize one, not the other. (I stopped reading TWD comics after the second Compendium)