DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   mixed-ish (ABC) -- black-ish spinoff -- premieres 9/24/19 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/647116-mixed-ish-abc-black-ish-spinoff-premieres-9-24-19-a.html)

dex14 03-18-19 12:56 PM

mixed-ish (ABC) -- black-ish spinoff -- premieres 9/24/19

ABC is chasing Rainbow’s origin story: The network is developing a black-ish prequel/spinoff centered on a pre-teen version of Tracee Ellis Ross’ matriarch, TVLine has learned.

The prospective series — which would mark the second extension of the black-ish franchise, following Freeform’s Zoey-centric grown-ish (which was just renewed for Season 3) — is set in the ’80s and follows a 12-year-old Bow, who is described as emotionally and intellectually brilliant but also clueless, confused and awkward.

The project would also feature late-30s versions of Bow’s mom and late dad, previously played on black-ish by Anna Deveare Smith and Beau Bridges.

An ABC spokesperson confirms that a Bow-centric episode of black-ish is slated to air later this season, but the rep stopped short of calling it a “backdoor pilot” or a “spinoff pilot.”
https://tvline.com/2019/02/11/black-...el-series-80s/

Bow’s got some rad ‘rents. Champions‘ Anders Holm and The Haves and the Have Nots‘ Tika Sumpter have been tapped to play mom and dad to a pre-teen version of Tracee Ellis Ross’ matriarch in ABC’s in-the-works Bow-centric, 1980s-set black-ish prequel/spinoff, TVLine has learned. The adult versions of her parents Paul and Alicia were previously played on black-ish by Anna Deveare Smith and Beau Bridges.

Additionally, up-and-comer Arica Himmel (pictured, right) is set to star as Young Bow herself in the backdoor pilot, which will air as a regular episode of black-ish later this season. Veep and Good Fight vet Gary Cole is set to co-star as Paul’s father/Bow’s grandfather Harrison, while Ethan William Childress and Mykal-Michelle Harris will play Bow’s respective siblings Johan and Santamonica. Improv vet Christina Anthony rounds out the ensemble as Alicia’s sister/Bow’s aunt.

The prospective, untitled series — which would mark the second extension of the black-ish franchise, following Freeform’s Zoey-centric grown-ish) — follows a 12-year-old Bow, who is described as emotionally and intellectually brilliant but also clueless, confused and awkward.
https://tvline.com/2019/03/18/black-...gPRxLh9T6YZlhw

Giantrobo 03-18-19 01:58 PM

re: mixed-ish (ABC) -- black-ish spinoff -- premieres 9/24/19

I'll watch it. Some of the flashbacks of Rainbow were hilarious. Gary Cole :up:

Noonan 03-18-19 02:00 PM

re: mixed-ish (ABC) -- black-ish spinoff -- premieres 9/24/19

Is Fam already cancelled (haven't watched or read anything about the show) or is Cole going to double dip?

Noonan 09-27-19 07:10 AM

Re: mixed-ish (ABC) -- black-ish spinoff -- premieres 9/24/19

Anyone watch this? It was actually very good (IMO). Nice to see MPG rebound from The Passage so quickly. Cole was the perfect 80's dick.

"This is why I don't do cocaine; I am cocaine!"

"I do cocaine."

:lol:

Michael Corvin 09-27-19 04:48 PM

Gary Cole was definitely a highlight. The premier could have done without wasting so much time with the modern Black-ish clan at the beginning, or maybe done a double episode to kick off the show. Casting was solid (made me want more Yohan on Blackish proper) and I had no idea that was Mark Paul Gossaler. It was well written (as expected) but it didn't deliver very many laughs.

I need more episodes set in the commune. I'm not sure why they jumped right to suburbia, one setting is unique and the other hasn't really been done before.

Bo's bedroom looked like a modern Black-ish set and not 80s at all. It could easily pass for Jack/Diane's bedroom. The set designers need to do a little more research in that department.

Giantrobo 09-27-19 05:01 PM

I saw it and liked it. :up: Grandpa and Auntie Dee are going to steal a lot of scenes. The White Dad was recast and I'm ok with that. I didn't like the original guy they have playing him. The mom is good and she is also FINE AS FUCK. I mean like Jaw drop whenever she is on screen FINE AS FUCK...but she doesn't look like Bo's Mom skin tone wise and people have been grumbling. Blacks generally don't change color as we age.

I'm a huge fan of the "-ish " shows so I'm with it til the end.

windom 09-27-19 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by Giantrobo (Post 13614913)
Blacks generally don't change color as we age.

Maybe she has that Michael Jackson condition. I agree though that the mom looks vastly different. The dad isn't really a good match either.