DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   The OA (Netflix) -- Season 2 Discussion Thread -- premieres 3/22/19 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/647114-oa-netflix-season-2-discussion-thread-premieres-3-22-19-a.html)

dex14 02-27-19 09:30 AM

The OA (Netflix) -- Season 2 Discussion Thread -- premieres 3/22/19

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...d315f2a722.jpg

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/WlSXDaRR2bw" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

No one alone. The OA Part II coming March 22.

In The OA Part II, Netflix’s science fiction drama, we discover that Brit Marling’s badly wounded heroine, Prairie (a.k.a. the OA, which stands for “Original Angel”), has successfully transported her consciousness into an alternate-universe version of herself. This version of the OA is rich, lives in San Francisco rather than the Midwest, and, unlike Prairie, was never kidnapped and experimented on by Jason Isaacs’ villainous scientist, Hap. “It was really delicious to dive back into a realm you had been intimate with and land in the body of someone who had not been through all the experiences we watch Prairie go through in Part I,” says Marling of The OA Part II, which premieres, March 22.

Kingsley Ben-Adir plays a major new character named Karim Washington, a boat-dwelling private detective tasked with finding a young woman, Michelle Vu, who had been playing an online game. His path crosses with OA, as they try to solve the mystery of Michelle’s whereabouts and a house on Nob Hill connected to the disappearance of several teenagers. Meanwhile, back in the first dimension, BBA, Angie, and the boys find themselves on a journey to understand the truth behind OA’s story and the incredible realities she described.

“We think of Part II as very much a noir,” says Marling’s longtime collaborator Zal Batmanglij, who co-created the show with the actress. “We wanted to come in through the character of a cynical detective. Films like The Big Sleep didn’t seem antiquated [when they came out]. They were very modern. That’s why we thought, ‘What better place than San Francisco and the tech world to set a noir today?’”

Other returning cast members include Isaacs, Emory Cohen, and The Walking Dead actor Scott Wilson, who played Prairie’s adoptive father in season 1 and filmed for Part II before dying as a result of complications from leukemia last October. “Scott plays in a very critical scene,” says Marling. “It’s a beautiful performance, and we miss him very much.”

RichC2 02-27-19 09:42 AM

Re: The OA (Netflix) - creators: Brit Marling and Zal Batmanglij

Well, that's one way to take it a totally different route.

Why So Blu? 02-27-19 10:16 AM

I'm in. I really liked the first parrt.

mphtrilogy 02-27-19 10:47 AM

in for the S2 ride..

Decker 02-27-19 11:23 AM

The best thing you could tell me about Season 2 is that it's totally different from Season 1. Maybe I will check it out if I hear good things.

Cellar Door 02-27-19 12:33 PM

Sounds weird and interesting. I'm in!

Rob V 02-27-19 02:12 PM

S1 was odd and ultimately disappointing, IMO. It went from this spooky, intriguing premise to just non-sequitur in the end.

dex14 03-20-19 07:11 AM

Re: The OA (Netflix) -- Season 2 Discussion Thread -- premieres 3/22/19

Damn, this is creeping up this weekend. I'm going to need to have to watch Season 1 again. It has been a while.

d2cheer 03-20-19 08:17 AM

Hopefully there will be a recap. Don't remember the ending to season 1. I hope there is at least a few answers to weather she is making it up or not. Since Netflix seems to cap their series at 2 or 3 seasons.

dex14 03-20-19 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by d2cheer (Post 13519420)
Hopefully there will be a recap. Don't remember the ending to season 1. I hope there is at least a few answers to weather she is making it up or not. Since Netflix seems to cap their series at 2 or 3 seasons.

Netflix usually has a recap before a new season.

Tom Banjo 03-22-19 08:41 AM

I’m on episode 1. Starts up unexpectedly following a detective on a missing persons case. Not much to connect it to season 1 yet.
Although, was that (a version of) Homer that jumped from the window?

Tom Banjo 03-22-19 02:58 PM

I’m now six episodes in, and feel it’s on par with season one in quality. There was really only one scene so far that seemed too outlandish, even for this show.
Spoiler:
the telepathic octopus

Tom Banjo 03-22-19 11:24 PM

Just finished. This is better than season one for me.
I’m gonna discuss the ending in the spoiler below, and just as a friendly warning there will be spoilers to Stephen King’s Dark Tower series as well.
Spoiler:
so that was insane. I can’t believe they went there with the actors playing themselves. It was very meta and reminded me a lot of how King wrote gimself into the Dark Tower. Now that I’m writing it though, it actually reminds me more of one of the Bandersnatch endings. Can’t wait to see where they go from here.

Cellar Door 03-24-19 05:23 PM

Just finished the last episode of season 2. That ending was unexpected. I liked it, but I can see it being very polarizing--just as the ending to season 1 seemed to be.

I really enjoyed the whole season. It was very engaging, and it greatly expanded the 'world' of the OA story. And whereas season 1 left the option open (at least a little bit) of Prairie's whole story being all in her head, this season dispels that idea and commits itself whole-hog to the reality of a New Age spiritual multiverse.

Looking forward to see what happens next. I hope it gets renewed, and that the wait isn't quite as long between seasons this time.

Tom Banjo 03-24-19 06:52 PM

I read a rumor that the reason it took so long is because they spent that time mapping out and writing seasons 2-5, and that season 3 could come as early as this December.

This was all supposedly told by a person that works for the show, and the person he told wouldn’t give out any other info because his friend was violating his NDA. So, grain of salt and all.

dom56 03-24-19 10:39 PM

Finish watching episode three and damn I missed Scott Wilson. :(

dex14 03-25-19 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by Tom Banjo (Post 13522031)
I read a rumor that the reason it took so long is because they spent that time mapping out and writing seasons 2-5, and that season 3 could come as early as this December.

This was all supposedly told by a person that works for the show, and the person he told wouldn’t give out any other info because his friend was violating his NDA. So, grain of salt and all.

I know this show was pitched with that many seasons in mind, but I severely doubt it gets 5 seasons. If anything, they may have been condensing their original plan into 3 seasons.

Tom Banjo 03-25-19 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by dex14 (Post 13522191)
I know this show was pitched with that many seasons in mind, but I severely doubt it gets 5 seasons. If anything, they may have been condensing their original plan into 3 seasons.

I hope you’re wrong, it’s such a fascinating premise. If it does get cancelled maybe Batmanlij and Marling can give us some books or something to finish the story.

dex14 03-25-19 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by Tom Banjo (Post 13522198)

I hope you’re wrong, it’s such a fascinating premise. If it does get cancelled maybe Batmanlij and Marling can give us some books or something to finish the story.

It's just the simple fact of things. Most Netflix shows do not have more than 3 seasons. Especially ones that aren't hugely popular.

mphtrilogy 03-26-19 08:13 AM

this will take me a little while to fnish, loved ep 1, did have to stop midway through to watch the recap as I forgot some key points, but this is a terrific show.

RichC2 03-29-19 09:20 PM

I do hope this sticks around. It doesn't all work but it's the most ridiculously unique thing going right now. Also, impressive how different this season started and honestly the quality is substantially higher. Fucking love that it went full Sci-fi.

Also, if this crew ever makes a straight forward detective show I'd also totally be in. Great atmosphere. As a warning some of these episodes run up to 70 minutes.

"The movements were fucking weird." :lol:
​​​​

RichC2 03-31-19 08:38 PM

Finished this tonight, loved almost every ridiculous moment of this season, Old Knight and all. Stellar visuals too. It lost a little mysteriousness by going so full steam ahead but hell, it worked for me.

​​The ending made me laugh

mphtrilogy 05-03-19 11:35 AM

Standing O on that ending , absolutely loved it!
graat season finale, hope it gets renewed, man do I love Brit Marling!

Cellar Door 05-03-19 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by Tom Banjo (Post 13521359)
Just finished. This is better than season one for me.
I’m gonna discuss the ending in the spoiler below, and just as a friendly warning there will be spoilers to Stephen King’s Dark Tower series as well.
Spoiler:
so that was insane. I can’t believe they went there with the actors playing themselves. It was very meta and reminded me a lot of how King wrote gimself into the Dark Tower. Now that I’m writing it though, it actually reminds me more of one of the Bandersnatch endings. Can’t wait to see where they go from here.

Re, the spoilered part:

Spoiler:
During the ending, Jason Isaac says that Brit Marling is his wife. As soon as the episode ended I went online to check, because I didn't think that was true IRL. I was right, they are not really a couple. So while they are playing 'themselves' it is actually still a different universe than ours.

I, too, was reminded of Stephen King and the Dark Tower books. I didn't particularly like how the books went down that rabbit hole, so I hope The OA doesn't go too far in that direction.

RichC2 08-05-19 11:55 AM

Somewhat unsurprisingly, this has been cancelled :(