DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   The Inventor: Out for Blood in Silicon Valley -- HBO documentary -- D: Alex Gibney (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/647113-inventor-out-blood-silicon-valley-hbo-documentary-d-alex-gibney.html)

dex14 03-18-19 07:06 AM

The Inventor: Out for Blood in Silicon Valley -- HBO documentary -- D: Alex Gibney

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...62950dca7f.jpg

<iframe width="706" height="397" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/wtDaP18OGfw" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Premieres March 18 on HBO.

Academy Award winner Alex Gibney (Enron: The Smartest Guys in the Room, HBO’s Emmy-winning Going Clear: Scientology and the Prison of Belief) directs a documentary investigating the rise and fall of Theranos, the one-time multibillion-dollar healthcare company founded by Elizabeth Holmes.

In 2004, Elizabeth Holmes dropped out of Stanford to start a company that was going to revolutionize healthcare. In 2014, Theranos was valued at $9 billion, making Holmes, who was touted as “the next Steve Jobs,” the youngest self-made female billionaire in the world. Just two years later, Theranos was cited as a “massive fraud” by the SEC, and its value was less than zero.

Drawing on extraordinary access to never-before-seen footage and testimony from key insiders, director Alex Gibney will tell a Silicon Valley tale that was too good to be true. With all the drama of a real-life heist film, the untitled documentary will examine how this could have happened and who is responsible, while exploring the psychology of deception.

A Jigsaw Production for HBO Documentary Films; directed and written by Alex Gibney; producers, Alex Gibney, Erin Edeiken, Jessie Deeter; editor, Andy Grieve; co-editor, Alexis Johnson; associate producer, Ophelia Harutyunyan; executive producer Graydon Carter. For HBO: executive producers, Sara Bernstein, Nancy Abraham.

Noonan 03-18-19 07:36 AM

Re: The Inventor: Out for Blood in Silicon Valley -- HBO documentary -- D: Alex Gibney

I'm interested to check this out. I know the basics of the story but I'm hoping for some detail on how she was able to fool all the investors into thinking that the technology worked.

melasnus 03-18-19 12:29 PM

Re: The Inventor: Out for Blood in Silicon Valley -- HBO documentary -- D: Alex Gibney

I have become fascinated by this tale...will be watching soon.

Decker 03-18-19 12:50 PM

Nice to see HBO programming for Monday as well as Sunday night again.

dex14 03-18-19 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by Decker (Post 13518325)
Nice to see HBO programming for Monday as well as Sunday night again.

Mondays throughout the year are pretty common for HBO documentaries.

melasnus 03-21-19 12:42 AM

Watched tonight.
I have to say I was a little disappointed...
Didn't really learn much more than what I had already read in news' accounts.

It is pretty astonishing how many rich old white men were taken in by Holmes...
After watching her non-verbal cues while she talked it was obvious to me she wasn't dealing with a full deck.
When comparing her actual WORDS with her delivery, it just didn't add up.
IOW, she comes across as OFF.
I wouldn't trust her with a nickel from my piggybank.

Norm de Plume 03-21-19 12:56 AM

Looking forward to seeing her sent to prison.

Noonan 03-21-19 06:54 AM

I wish this had more info about the real beginning. Seems like everyone interviewed was drawn in after the company was already a thing. My question is, how did it even get off the ground without any real tech to show? Like, can someone really just pitch an idea with zero proof they're capable of delivering and get millions to start up?

I wonder what her parents have to say? They could let us know at least if her deep voice is fake, which looks to be a possibility. Found it interesting that no one from her family was spoken with, unless they didn't want to be.

jpcamb 03-21-19 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by Noonan (Post 13520123)
I wish this had more info about the real beginning. Seems like everyone interviewed was drawn in after the company was already a thing. My question is, how did it even get off the ground without any real tech to show? Like, can someone really just pitch an idea with zero proof they're capable of delivering and get millions to start up?

I wonder what her parents have to say? They could let us know at least if her deep voice is fake, which looks to be a possibility. Found it interesting that no one from her family was spoken with, unless they didn't want to be.

Have not watched it yet but they were talking about this on local radio yesterday and it appears audio of her real voice came out quite recently and she is clearly talking deeper when in public. Frigging sad what a con job this was.

SteveA 03-21-19 08:59 AM

I admit I didn't know anything about this case before I watched the documentary. I found it fascinating. I've been in the startup world before and I recognize the "fake it until you make it" attitudes. But this was beyond anything I could imagine.

Noonan 03-21-19 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by jpcamb (Post 13520142)
Have not watched it yet but they were talking about this on local radio yesterday and it appears audio of her real voice came out quite recently and she is clearly talking deeper when in public. Frigging sad what a con job this was.

I've seen headlines saying the same. If it's true (that the voice was faked) it has to be one of the most elaborate long-cons I've ever seen. She was in the spotlight for years.

Reminds of a scene from The Prestige (or The Illusionist; I can't recall which) where there's an old magician who lives the life of someone weak and feeble only to sell the tricks of his magic.

melasnus 03-21-19 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by jpcamb (Post 13520142)
it appears audio of her real voice came out quite recently and she is clearly talking deeper when in public.

WCChiCubsFan 03-21-19 03:38 PM

Holmes is a crook and a fraud because of all the lies she started to tell once Theranos was unable to deliver on her promises. Interestingly I don’t think she started the company as a con, I think she actually though the company could deliver on her ideas because of her utter lack of real knowledge about blood testing and mechanical engineering. She thought she could have this idea and it would come to fruition by the work of others. Her down fall is because her hubris would not allow her to admit failure when others started to tell her it could not be done.

Noonan 03-21-19 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by WCChiCubsFan (Post 13520529)
Holmes is a crook and a fraud because of all the lies she started to tell once Theranos was unable to deliver on her promises. Interestingly I don't think she started the company as a con, I think she actually thought the company could deliver on her ideas because of her utter lack of real knowledge about blood testing and mechanical engineering. She thought she could have this idea and it would come to fruition by the work of others. Her down fall is because her hubris would not allow her to except reality when others were telling her it could not be done.

This speaks to a comment I had earlier. The doc talked about the people who bought in once she was up and running...who funded the initial conception to get the business off the ground? Because she didn't have anything to show as a demo and was still a college student. Was just the idea enough to get the initial funding to start the company?

I also feel she started everything with good intentions and it all just spiraled out of control. But towards the end they were definitely misleading everyone intentionally.

TomOpus 04-12-23 02:30 AM

Theranos’ Elizabeth Holmes loses bid to stay out of prison

Disgraced Theranos CEO Elizabeth Holmes has been rebuffed in her attempt to stay out of federal prison while she appeals her conviction for the fraud she committed while overseeing a blood-testing scam that exposed Silicon Valley’s dark side.In an 11-page ruling issued late Monday, U.S. District Judge Edward Davila concluded there wasn’t compelling enough evidence to allow Holmes to remain free on bail while her lawyers try to persuade an appeals court that alleged misconduct during her four-month trial led to an unjust verdict.

The judge’s decision means Holmes, 39, will have to surrender to authorities April 27 to start the more than 11-year prison sentence that Davila imposed in November. The punishment came 10 months after a jury found her guilty on four counts of fraud and conspiracy against the Thearanos investors who believed in her promises to revolutionize the health care industry.