Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Billions (Showtime) -- Season 4 Thread -- premieres 3/17/19

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 03-17-19, 08:34 AM

When everyone is out for revenge, no one is safe. This is never more true than in season 4 of BILLIONS. Bobby Axelrod (Lewis) and Chuck Rhoades (Giamatti), former enemies, and Wendy Rhoades (Maggie Siff), the chief counselor to each, have come together to form an uneasy but highly effective alliance, aimed at the eradication of all their rivals, including Grigor Andolov (guest star John Malkovich), Taylor Mason (Asia Kate Dillon), Bryan Connerty (Toby Leonard Moore) and Waylon "Jock" Jeffcoat (guest star Clancy Brown). Ambition and betrayal have long been at the heart of BILLIONS, and this season all the characters find out exactly how high a price they'll have to pay to satisfy those needs. The series also stars David Costabile, Condola Rashad, Kelly AuCoin, Jeffrey DeMunn and Malin Åkerman, along with new guest stars Samantha Mathis, Kevin Pollak, Jade Eshete and Nina Arianda. Catch the season premiere Sunday, March 17 at 9 p.m. ET/PT.
The Season Premiere is now up On Demand.
Old 05-02-19, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Billions (Showtime) -- Season 4 Thread -- premieres 3/17/19

Kinda surprised no one is commenting on this show, although maybe everyone has given up on it.

After the first 4 episodes this season I was amazed at how much fun the show was despite how ridiculously over the top the plot lines have gotten. Then after the big ending in episode 4, things took a pretty wild turn and I literally have no idea what the writers are thinking. Basically they've decided to take every single character and transition then from "dubious morality" to just downright fucking evil. Let's watch Axe destroy the business and future of the son of a 9/11 victim! Let's watch Wendy exploit her personal pain to try and ruin Taylor's life for no discernible reason. Let's watch Chuck help his asshole father 'cause he's just such a great dad, and try to break every possible law while abusing himself in as gross a way as possible.

As an audience I just don't know who the fuck we're supposed to be rooting for now. Taylor is the closest thing we've got to a "good guy", and they aren't perfect and certainly aren't the focal point of the show despite being the most interesting character this season.
Old 05-03-19, 09:35 PM

Probably the most entertaining show on the air right now...they seem to have settled into a chain-reaction format every episode, where a sequence of favors are called in and paid off, ending in someone's destruction. They won't be able to do it forever, bit it's damn fun for now.
Old 05-04-19, 03:37 AM

Great show
Old 05-07-19, 04:13 PM

Like most Showtime shows, this one is living on past its expiration date. Once the Axe vs Chuck feud ended, the show deflated. It’s not horrible, but it’s just not as engaging as it once was. It’s still got style though.

Also, I very much enjoy seeing Samantha Mathis.
Old 05-07-19, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by dex14 View Post
Like most Showtime shows, this one is living on past its expiration date.

I'm actually enjoying the hell out of it, though for sure the themes are changing from what they were.

I laughed out loud during that Mafee-Dollar Bill bout, and am loving the super-rich-douches-destroying-each-other arcs.
Old 05-07-19, 07:53 PM

The fight was definitely a highlight.
Old 05-08-19, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dex14 View Post
Like most Showtime shows, this one is living on past its expiration date. Once the Axe vs Chuck feud ended, the show deflated. It’s not horrible, but it’s just not as engaging as it once was. It’s still got style though.

I disagree in this case. Billions is still doing fine.

Axe vs. Chuck has ended, but we now have Axe vs. Taylor and Chuck vs. his old gang... so we're getting twice the fight now.
And the cool thing is Axe and Chuck are helping each other in their respective fights.

The boxing match was funny, but kinda dumb. These guys were way too tired after only a few rounds. They both sucked and barely hit each other, and they didn't have any real offence - so they should've had much more energy left.
Old 05-08-19, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Renewed for season 5: https://deadline.com/2019/05/billion...is-1202609933/
Old 05-12-19, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Coral View Post

I disagree in this case. Billions is still doing fine.

Axe vs. Chuck has ended, but we now have Axe vs. Taylor and Chuck vs. his old gang... so we're getting twice the fight now.
And the cool thing is Axe and Chuck are helping each other in their respective fights.

The boxing match was funny, but kinda dumb. These guys were way too tired after only a few rounds. They both sucked and barely hit each other, and they didn't have any real offence - so they should've had much more energy left.
I thought the boxing match was the worst thing this show has done. Having said that, I'm still enjoying the show. Although, it is kind of repetitive in that A needs something, figures out a way to get it, and then B surprises them with something they didn't anticipate, and then A ends up eliminating the surprise, and actually gets it. Repeat ad nauseam.

Regarding the match, I have no problem with how exhausted they are. They're not wearing head gear, had very little training, it was a dirty fight, and they weren't in great shape to begin with. Dollar Bill is 52 (well, the actor is), Mafee is 35. Yeah, they'd be exhausted.

I hope Wendy does face the music for her obviously unethical behaviour. I like her character, but she's definitely gone too far.
Old 05-22-19, 10:03 AM

Catching up on my DVR... I see they didn’t even bother airing a new episode this week. I guess they didn’t want to compete with the GoT finale? Odd that they didn’t put it On Demand though. They’ve done that in the past.
Old 06-10-19, 08:02 AM

I do like how the finale ended and where they are headed into Season 5. Though, it feels like a setup for an endgame to me. I doubt that will be the case. But if it all comes full circle and ends with next season, that would be best.
Old 06-10-19, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It really should end next season but Showtime rarely ends their series before they run into the ground (Weeds, Homeland).

Are they teasing an Axe-Wendy romantic relationship? Seemed like it to me.
Old 06-10-19, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by bunkaroo View Post
It really should end next season but Showtime rarely ends their series before they run into the ground (Weeds, Homeland).

Yea it sure felt like it. But if they did that, it would be total jump the shark, IMO.
Old 06-10-19, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by bunkaroo View Post
That was something I was expecting since the first season. Axe and Wendy seem to have a connection, and Axe's ex seems to have seen it... even Chuck made slight references to it in the past... it just felt like something they were going to force. Cut to a couple episodes ago when Chuck couldn't remember what made him think Wendy was the one, but Axe remembered some small detail from the past - it's inevitable... especially with how the situation has ended up.

Kinda figured Chuck and Axe were going to be enemies again as when the season went on, it seemed like they were getting harsher with each other.

The show has too many surprise turns and set-ups. Too many elaborate plans that follow through... and too many corrupt people.

Next season really should be the last. I see no point in dragging this out further.
Old 06-10-19, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Saw the twist w/Chuck & Connerty coming a ways off, but I still liked it. I'm not that jazzed about it being Chuck v. Bobby again already, and I'm really not looking forward to another season of Taylor v. Bobby, if that's what it ends up being. Nice of Bobby to let Wendy stay over and to mention he was just down the hall if she "wanted to talk."
Old 06-10-19, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by uteotw View Post
Saw the twist w/Chuck & Connerty coming a ways off, but I still liked it. I'm not that jazzed about it being Chuck v. Bobby again already, and I'm really not looking forward to another season of Taylor v. Bobby, if that's what it ends up being. Nice of Bobby to let Wendy stay over and to mention he was just down the hall if she "wanted to talk."
I feel about the same. I did not enjoy this season nearly as much as past seasons, and now it looks like they are come full circle and merely repeating themselves.

I am glad that Bobby's gal pal for the season seems to be gone. Her face looked like it was a product of claymation and thus the relationship never rang remotely true.