Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

I Am Richard Pryor (Paramount) -- premieres 3/15/19

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-19, 07:07 AM

Received 4,579 Likes on 3,099 Posts
I Am Richard Pryor (Paramount) -- premieres 3/15/19

<iframe width="706" height="397" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Z5RJUaFIKvE" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Trailblazer, comic, icon. Richard Pryor always spoke his truth and opened the doors for countless comics and performers who came after him. 'I Am Richard Pryor' comes to #ParamountNetwork March 15th at 10/9c.

I Am Richard Pryor explores and celebrates the life and career of the iconic comedian who lifted himself out of poverty to achieve worldwide success. From his first comedy album until his death of a heart attack in 2005, the revolutionary stand-up comedian dispensed what critics regarded as the most poignant and penetrating comedic view of African-American life ever afforded to the U.S. at large. Volatile yet vulnerable, crass but sensitive, streetwise and cocky, Pryor did not simply tell stories, he brought them to life and was considered a trailblazer for generations of comics to come. The film explores his unusually personal art that was a window into a vulnerable soul, as well as the endless struggle to extend dignity and equality to all.I Am Richard Pryor includes exclusive interviews with comedians, filmmakers, family, and friends including Sandra Bernhard, Ron De Blasio, Dr. Todd Boyd, Michael Epps, Tiffany Haddish, Henry Jaglom, Howie Mandel, Thom Mount, Ishmael Reed, Scott Saul, Michael Schultz, Greg Tate, Lily Tomlin, Rocco Urbisci, Jimmie Walker, and Jennifer Pryor, who is also featured, and during a moving and poignant moment in the documentary, uniquely honors the life of her husband.
Old 03-23-19, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 723 Likes on 590 Posts
Re: I Am Richard Pryor (Paramount) -- premieres 3/15/19

This was decent though it did not cover a lot of movies from his 80's and except for the interview with his wife there was nothing new that was not covered in other shows about his life,
Old 03-23-19, 10:09 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

i was riveted. didn't think i'd even watch it, but once i turned it on, i didn't turn it off..
Old 03-23-19, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

I think the Showtime doc a few years back was better but I absolutely love Pryor so I was all in.
Old 10-15-19, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,638 Likes on 2,611 Posts

I had this sitting on my DVR since Spring and finally made time to watch it.

I was a little disappointed. It felt really rushed. This should have been a 2 1/2 hr documentary. They basically skipped most of Pryor's career over the last 35 years and then jumped right into his MS diagnosis & passing.

I felt like it was an incomplete film about his life and career.

Last edited by DJariya; 10-16-19 at 05:17 PM.
Old 10-16-19, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

You'll get far better personal insight into Pryor if you listen to his older stand-up material from early in his career.