TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Orphan Black followup series in development at AMC

Old 03-12-19, 12:05 PM

Orphan Black followup series in development at AMC

“Orphan Black” fans could soon have reason to celebrate.

Variety has learned from sources that a new series set in the “Orphan Black” universe is currently in the early development stages at AMC. Temple Street Productions, which produced the original series, is onboard to produce the new series as well.

Sources stressed, however, that this would not be a spinoff or reboot of the original series, but rather a completely new story set in the same world. The producers are currently seeking a writer for the project and are looking to bring in multiple people to pitch different takes on what the show could be.

AMC and Temple Street declined to comment.

News of the development is made all the more interesting by the fact that it is set up at AMC rather than BBC America, which aired the original in the U.S. It is still too early in the process to tell whether the new show would air on multiple networks under the AMC Networks umbrella, but it was recently announced that Season 2 of the critically-acclaimed drama “Killing Eve” would be simulcast on its original network home, BBC America, as well as on AMC.

“Orphan Black” was co-created by John Fawcett and Graeme Manson. The series launched in 2013 and ran for five seasons. It starred Tatiana Maslany as a woman who discovers that she is a clone and that someone is plotting to kill her and her clone “sisters.” Both the series and Maslany’s performance were well-received by critics. She was nominated for three Emmys and a Golden Globe during the show’s run, winning the Emmy for best actress in a drama series in 2016.
https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/orp...mc-1203160818/
Old 03-12-19, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Orphan Black followup series in development at AMC

Sounds like a silly idea. After season one the "story" was really convoluted nonsense with only Maslany's performance still making the show watchable (and even she couldn't always save it). I don't see where we need more stories in that universe.
Old 03-12-19, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by mwbmis View Post
Sounds like a silly idea. After season one the "story" was really convoluted nonsense with only Maslany's performance still making the show watchable (and even she couldn't always save it). I don't see where we need more stories in that universe.
Agreed 100%.
Old 03-12-19, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

the original was a show I gave up on after a few seasons. Why would people want to go back to this story line? who is / was asking for more here?
Old 03-12-19, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Good god no. As posted above, the storyline was nonsensical gibberish. I bet the writers room didn't even know what was going on.
Old 03-12-19, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I loved season 1. I hate giving up on shows that I loved, but Orphan Black lost me somewhere in season 2.

I have zero interest in a follow up to something that lost me.
Old 03-12-19, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You saved me from writing all that out.
Old 03-12-19, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Glad I could help.
Old 03-13-19, 06:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I agree with you 100 percent. The first season was so much fun...then the showrunners got deep into science and mythology and the show just got dull and uninteresting.
Old 03-13-19, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I generally liked Orphan Black through its five year run and didn’t have much trouble following it. I thought it held together much better than Lost and, while its mythology was complex, it never stepped all over itself like many other projects of similar ambition did. My only real gripes were that the Prolethians were kind of a dead end and the “final boss” sort of came out left field in the final act, but overall I thought it held together quite well.
Old 03-14-19, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Much like all of you, loved S1 and wanted to stick through all the seasons but....nope...for all the reasons you guys posted.
Old 03-15-19, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I made it half way though Season 3 and bailed. Season 1 was so good, if they do a follow up, it seems like something better fit to a True Detective/Fargo model versus a longer running series. That could be worth watching