DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   The Walking Dead (S9E13) -- "Chokepoint" -- 3/10/19 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/647036-walking-dead-s9e13-chokepoint-3-10-19-a.html)

DJariya 03-10-19 06:24 PM

The Walking Dead (S9E13) -- "Chokepoint" -- 3/10/19

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...78bd294218.jpg

"The Walking Dead" season nine continues on Sunday, March 10th at 9:00 p.m. ET/PT. On the all-new episode, "Chokepoint," Daryl's daring rescue mission forces Alpha to unleash a group of her own to retrieve what belongs to her, even if the price is paid in blood. Meanwhile, the Kingdom's plans to reunite the communities is put in jeopardy. The episode is written by Eddie Guzelian and David Leslie Johnson-McGoldrick and directed by Liesl Tommy.

Episode 13 of 16

Bill Needle 03-10-19 10:51 PM

Re: The Walking Dead (S9E13) -- "Chokepoint" -- 3/10/19

Actually a pretty decent episode. The Daryl/Beta thing was particularly well done. Henry continues to be a moron.

Abob Teff 03-10-19 11:12 PM

Huh. I was about to say that it was another pretty boring episode that brought nothing new to the table, didn’t advance the story, and is still quickly driving us back to where we were. :shrug:

Oh, except the Highwaymen. Did I completely miss something? Or was this another TWD pop-up convenience? I do have to admit I enjoyed Carol’s negotiations with them.

Finisher 03-10-19 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by Abob Teff (Post 13514012)
Huh. I was about to say that it was another pretty boring episode that brought nothing new to the table, didn’t advance the story, and is still quickly driving us back to where we were. :shrug:

These past couple episodes had me zoning out. Even previous bad Walking Dead at least maintained interest. Thought the direction of this particular episode was especially poor.

Coral 03-10-19 11:40 PM

It was refreshing to see an apartment building for a change. The only large buildings we ever saw on this show was in downtown Atlanta, but we never see them anywhere else in this universe.

Your majesty? Your highness? Queen? Ugh. I hate the Kingdom. Bunch of adults playing pretend.

I'm scratching my head at a few things.
They're waiting in the building and see the walkers/whisperers coming - Daryl shoots one of the whisperers and then goes inside to get ready for the trap they set.
Why in the holy hell didn't he just stay there and kill more? Especially Beta - since he stood out like a sore thumb.

So we have super-human characters now? Beta got stabbed in the chest and was un-phased. He also survives a big fall.

andicus 03-10-19 11:46 PM

^I agree. And I thought they ditched the Kingdom royalty crap?

Darryl definitely should've killed Beta, immediately. When he stabbed him, it appeared that Beta had some sort of padding on that protected him. The fall, however... :rolleyes:

Bill Needle 03-11-19 12:11 AM

OK, OK, decent for a Walking Dead episode of the past few years.

Did it advance the story? Maybe just a little. Sure, the highwaymen emerged virtually out of nowhere, but the resolution was refreshing. Sure, Daryl not just taking out Beta from the high ground made no sense, but the fight was pretty good and unlike Alpha, Beta is actually a little menacing. Sure, Henry is a dangerous idiot, but...um..I guess there is not but for that one.

Finisher 03-11-19 01:01 AM

Originally Posted by Coral (Post 13514020)
They're waiting in the building and see the walkers/whisperers coming - Daryl shoots one of the whisperers and then goes inside to get ready for the trap they set.
Why in the holy hell didn't he just stay there and kill more? Especially Beta - since he stood out like a sore thumb.

Because the writers of this show are incompetent and only through character idiocy can they propel plots.

JoeySeven 03-11-19 05:00 AM

Dog performed well in this episode.
When Daryl wanted to go one way and Connie wanted to go another way, dog chose to follow Connie despite Daryl calling him/her. Funny moment!

Daryl was kind of dick, interrupting the Henry and Lydia kiss.just because Daryl can't score,and I do like Daryl.but anyone can die at anytime.let the kid get pass 2nd base.

Daryl vs Beta was cool. I wonder if female viewers dig his greasy long hair.

VinVega 03-11-19 08:52 AM

Beta falling 4 stories down an elevator shaft and surviving reminds us of the van scene in Atlanta (season 4?) when Daryl and Carol fall off the bridge overpass in the van and survive. So it replicates the physics of TWD. Silly shit just happens, go with it I guess. This just felt like another filler episode while we wait for the season finale.

Coral 03-11-19 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by JoeySeven (Post 13514049)
Daryl was kind of dick, interrupting the Henry and Lydia kiss.just because Daryl can't score,and I do like Daryl.but anyone can die at anytime.let the kid get pass 2nd base.

I don't think it's a question of Daryl not being able to score, but him not wanting to score. We're 8 years into the ZA and we've yet to see Daryl hook up with anyone - unless he did it during the 6 year time jump.
I suspect we'll finally see it happen with the deaf chick. Daryl seems to be impressed with her.

VinVega 03-11-19 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by Coral (Post 13514094)
I don't think it's a question of Daryl not being able to score, but him not wanting to score. We're 8 years into the ZA and we've yet to see Daryl hook up with anyone - unless he did it during the 6 year time jump.
I suspect we'll finally see it happen with the deaf chick. Daryl seems to be impressed with her.

That way the show runners can kill her off. Can't have Daryl with any long term love interest. He needs his edge. ;)

Koby 03-11-19 09:07 AM

Beta surviving was laughable. Henry being Henry. -_- Otherwise it was mostly a decent episode.

I thought several seasons back Daryl and Carol hooked up or were headed that way, but then it just stopped.

Coral 03-11-19 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by Koby (Post 13514102)
I thought several seasons back Daryl and Carol hooked up or were headed that way, but then it just stopped.

It looked like something was going to happen between the two, but I'm pretty sure nothing did - even off-camera. Carol and Daryl almost had a mother/son thing going on as well.
Then it looked like Daryl was gonna hook up with Beth, but that fizzled as well.

It's not just that we don't see him in a relationship, but we've never even seen him kiss anyone. I'm glad we're not getting more stupid romantic story lines, but it would be nice to show that Daryl has needs.

It would be funny if Daryl gets together with Michonne, and then they find out Rick is still alive when he comes back. Rick will wonder WTF is up with his best friends tapping his chicks. :lol: But at least Michonne would've waited for more than 1 month before moving on - unlike Lori.

JTH182 03-11-19 06:39 PM

It just upsets me watching this and knowing Henry is supposed to be Carl. Chandler Riggs would be so much better in this storyline.

ben12 03-14-19 11:51 PM

That long shot reveal of Beta reminded me of the end of that MST3K episode Space Mutiny when they do a slow zoom in on the presumably-dead villain and Mike & the Bots are just screaming, "Aaand... he opens his eyes! He opens his eyes! C'mon just show it already! We know he's going to open his eyes!"

VinVega 03-16-19 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by ben12 (Post 13516658)
That long shot reveal of Beta reminded me of the end of that MST3K episode Space Mutiny when they do a slow zoom in on the presumably-dead villain and Mike & the Bots are just screaming, "Aaand... he opens his eyes! He opens his eyes! C'mon just show it already! We know he's going to open his eyes!"

Maybe shooting the next episode with the MST3K shadow and the crew in front will improve the experience. ;)

Tom Banjo 03-16-19 09:50 PM

Has anyone mentioned before that the kid that plays Henry and Carol’s dead daughter Sophia are siblings in the real life? I just discovered this dicking around on IMDB. They also have another sister that played the girl with the big forehead on Under the Dome.

andicus 03-16-19 09:56 PM

It was pretty obvious, as soon as he appeared. I think it was discussed, before.

windom 03-16-19 10:41 PM

I think there are three siblings. The one that played Sophia, the one that played younger Henry, and the one that plays the current Henry. They definitely talked about this on Talking Dead.

Tom Banjo 03-16-19 10:53 PM

Must be 4 of them then, since there’s the other girl that was in Under the Dome but was never on Walking Dead.
i mainly remember this because the UtD actress went on to be a student at Auburn University, my alma mater and where I still live (incidentally this is also where Riggs planned to attend until he was fired).

Bill Needle 03-17-19 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by Tom Banjo (Post 13517652)
They also have another sister that played the girl with the big forehead on Under the Dome.

She emerged from the forest, more forehead than woman...

http://img2.tvtome.com/i/u/ac35878a4...66f944c38b.jpg

Abob Teff 03-17-19 05:46 PM

Coral 03-17-19 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by Abob Teff (Post 13517965)

She's Harry Bosch's daughter on "Bosch".

Tom Banjo 03-17-19 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by Bill Needle (Post 13517698)
She emerged from the forest, more forehead than woman...

http://img2.tvtome.com/i/u/ac35878a4...66f944c38b.jpg

😂
I will say it was kinda cool seeing the Lintz sisters tailgating at Auburn home games. But I felt creepy being in my late 30’s and recognizing them so I never bothered talking to them or getting a photo with them.