Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The Case Against Adnan Syed (HBO) -- 4 part docuseries -- premieres 3/10/19

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Case Against Adnan Syed (HBO) -- 4 part docuseries -- premieres 3/10/19

Old 03-10-19, 08:04 AM
  #1  
Moderator
Thread Starter
 
dex14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 26,182
The Case Against Adnan Syed (HBO) -- 4 part docuseries -- premieres 3/10/19





The 1999 murder of 18-year-old Baltimore County high school student Hae Min Lee, and the subsequent conviction of her ex-boyfriend, Adnan Syed, were brought to global attention in 2014 by the hugely popular "Serial" podcast. But there is more to the story. THE CASE AGAINST ADNAN SYED reinvestigates the case behind the podcast, from the genesis of their high school relationship to the original police investigation and trial, and moves into the current day as Syed faces the prospect of a new trial after almost 20 years in jail. Directed by Amy Berg ("West of Memphis," the Oscar(R)-nominated "Deliver Us from Evil"), this absorbing four-part documentary series debuts SUNDAY, MARCH 10 (9:00-10:00 p.m. ET/PT), exclusively on HBO. The show will also be available on HBO NOW, HBO GO, HBO On Demand and partners' streaming platforms. In production since 2015, THE CASE AGAINST ADNAN SYED reviews the events leading up to Hae Min Lee's disappearance, from high school romance, forbidden love and cultural conflict, to the aftermath of her disappearance, the original police investigation and the present day, as Syed awaits the outcome of a lengthy appeals process.
Will air over 4 weeks.
dex14 is online now  
Old 03-10-19, 10:07 AM
  #2  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Decker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Vegas, Baby!
Posts: 42,178
Re: The Case Against Adnan Syed (HBO) -- 4 part docuseries -- premieres 3/10/19

I didn't listen to Serial Season 1. Will this work as your introduction to the case or do you need to have listened to that first to appreciate this?
Decker is online now  
Old 03-10-19, 03:40 PM
  #3  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
lwhy?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Nashville and Crossville, TN
Posts: 4,371
Re: The Case Against Adnan Syed (HBO) -- 4 part docuseries -- premieres 3/10/19

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
I didn't listen to Serial Season 1. Will this work as your introduction to the case or do you need to have listened to that first to appreciate this?
I would listen to it if you could find the time. It's one of the best seasons of a podcast ever.
lwhy? is offline  
Old 03-10-19, 10:15 PM
  #4  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Abob Teff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Not necessarily Formerly known as Solid Snake
Posts: 20,003
Re: The Case Against Adnan Syed (HBO) -- 4 part docuseries -- premieres 3/10/19



No HBO for me.
Abob Teff is offline  
Old 03-11-19, 06:28 PM
  #5  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
DJariya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: La Palma, CA
Posts: 54,155
Re: The Case Against Adnan Syed (HBO) -- 4 part docuseries -- premieres 3/10/19

I saw part 1 last night.

I admit I never heard of this story, nor was I ever aware of the podcast.

Anyways, the 1st part ran 72 minutes and I admit, it's a tragic story. I am intrigued to see the rest. Looks like this series was shot 4 years.
DJariya is online now  
Old 03-12-19, 06:18 AM
  #6  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Shannon Nutt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 16,070
Re: The Case Against Adnan Syed (HBO) -- 4 part docuseries -- premieres 3/10/19

Spoiler:
Spoiler:
His appeal was denied

because
Spoiler:
he's as guilty as hell.
Shannon Nutt is offline  
Old 03-23-19, 06:30 PM
  #7  
DVD Talk Legend
 
whotony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: ^ Kristen Bell
Posts: 18,808
Re: The Case Against Adnan Syed (HBO) -- 4 part docuseries -- premieres 3/10/19

It's been a few years since I listened to the posdacst so i cant remember what it thought.
1st ep of this series was boring as heck.
Havent watched part 2 yet.
whotony is offline  
Old 03-26-19, 10:16 AM
  #8  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
ben12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Where I live?
Posts: 2,745
Re: The Case Against Adnan Syed (HBO) -- 4 part docuseries -- premieres 3/10/19

This is just not that interesting a case. It worked on Serial because Serial was about taking a random murder case and digging into all the details. But I don't get why people are so obsessed with it.
ben12 is offline  
Old 03-26-19, 01:12 PM
  #9  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Kal-El's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Fortress of Solitude
Posts: 7,966
Re: The Case Against Adnan Syed (HBO) -- 4 part docuseries -- premieres 3/10/19

I'm into it. I never really followed the case after the podcast and I've resisted googling anything about it so I still find each episode compelling. That blonde lawyer was a miracle worker finding that fax cover page note after all these years. And the good on the AT&T guy recanting his testimony.
Kal-El is offline  
Old 03-29-19, 10:39 PM
  #10  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 52,192
Re: The Case Against Adnan Syed (HBO) -- 4 part docuseries -- premieres 3/10/19

I recommend taking everything into perspective. For example, this HBO doc provides interesting information, but is it a coincidence the doc points at Jay Wilds...nobody else, and we barely even know anything about Adnan except for a few comments by friends. That's suspicious to me.

However, it does seem as if the interviews were set up with Jay Wilds. The kid is willing to say anything, which is clearly obvious by his testimony and the detectives backing him up, and the statement by Urick at his "After-the-fact" guilty plea of accessory. This is what leads to cases being questioned and people being critical of LE. You pull a guy into your interview room, talk to him for several hours, off the record, and then when your weak link gets all your talking points, you push record. Bad protocol. And as a prosecutor, you pick the best judge, a pro-bono attorney favor, and make comments to the judge about a guy you hardly know but make him sound like he's the best witness you've ever had since a Grisham novel.

On the other hand, you have a family that will defend their kid and hate's the girl their son is involved with. Suppose no words are exchanged on the actual crime, but Adnan conveys to the father that Hae broked up with him for another guy and says she's horrible, etc. The father knew about the relationship as per the HBO doc. The girl goes missing. Families almost never give up their relatives.

Jay and Adnan were involved in the murder. Who actually did the killing, I'm not sure there's evidence that says Jay was fixated on Hae. For whatever reason, Adnan got Jay involved. Why. Let's suppose Adnan is innocent. Why would a shady guy like Jay even be around Adnan in the first place. The only reason I suspect, is Adnan figured Jay would keep his mouth shut as he supplied everyone with a little pot here and there and knew how to keep secrets.

Adnan seems to be in the right place, but Jay Wilds needs to be charged and behind bars.
DVD Polizei is offline  
Old 03-31-19, 09:42 PM
  #11  
DVD Talk Legend
 
whotony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: ^ Kristen Bell
Posts: 18,808
Re: The Case Against Adnan Syed (HBO) -- 4 part docuseries -- premieres 3/10/19

I didn’t realize it was only four parts.

Dont really expect anything concrete in this then.
whotony is offline  
Old 03-31-19, 10:02 PM
  #12  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
alfredog1976's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 1,164
Re: The Case Against Adnan Syed (HBO) -- 4 part docuseries -- premieres 3/10/19

Spoilerized for those who haven't seen part 4:
Spoiler:

Hadn't been following the case in the news so the end was very surprising to me.

Wow, can't believe he was denied another trial. Anyone with half a brain would see there was plenty of reasonable doubt. Damn shame.
alfredog1976 is offline  
Old 04-01-19, 06:49 AM
  #13  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Shannon Nutt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 16,070
Re: The Case Against Adnan Syed (HBO) -- 4 part docuseries -- premieres 3/10/19

Originally Posted by alfredog1976 View Post
Spoilerized for those who haven't seen part 4:
Spoiler:

Hadn't been following the case in the news so the end was very surprising to me.

Wow, can't believe he was denied another trial. Anyone with half a brain would see there was plenty of reasonable doubt. Damn shame.
Spoiler:
Reasonable doubt isn't enough for a new trial. There has to be NEW evidence that would lead to reasonable doubt and/or CLEAR attorney misconduct that would have affected the jury's decision. I've not watch the doc, but I'm not aware of NEW evidence (not presented before) that would do such.
Shannon Nutt is offline  
Old 04-01-19, 01:15 PM
  #14  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Marina Del Rey, California
Posts: 9,655
Re: The Case Against Adnan Syed (HBO) -- 4 part docuseries -- premieres 3/10/19

I didn't think this case or the documentary was all that compelling.
starseed1981 is offline  
Old 04-01-19, 01:31 PM
  #15  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 4,140
Re: The Case Against Adnan Syed (HBO) -- 4 part docuseries -- premieres 3/10/19

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt View Post
Spoiler:
Reasonable doubt isn't enough for a new trial. There has to be NEW evidence that would lead to reasonable doubt and/or CLEAR attorney misconduct that would have affected the jury's decision. I've not watch the doc, but I'm not aware of NEW evidence (not presented before) that would do such.
Not sure if this needs to be spoilerized, but I remember a lawyer writing an article that said
Spoiler:
In the film version of The Fugitive, unless the one-armed man confessed, there would still be no reason to hold a retrial for Dr. Kimble. I wonder if this is the same thing with Syed

Paff is online now  
Old 04-01-19, 06:13 PM
  #16  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 52,192
Re: The Case Against Adnan Syed (HBO) -- 4 part docuseries -- premieres 3/10/19

Also spoilered but not sure if this was in the 4th episode as I read this a day ago:

Spoiler:
Adnan was offered a plea deal, to serve 4 more years if he confessed. He's already been in prison for 20 years. He refused the plea deal, so it does make me wonder if he's innocent. I just don't see anyone but him or Jay doing the killing. And the defense has not requested DNA sampling, which makes me curious as to why as well.
DVD Polizei is offline  
Old 04-15-19, 08:55 PM
  #17  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Osiris3657's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 8,193
Re: The Case Against Adnan Syed (HBO) -- 4 part docuseries -- premieres 3/10/19

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
I recommend taking everything into perspective. For example, this HBO doc provides interesting information, but is it a coincidence the doc points at Jay Wilds...nobody else, and we barely even know anything about Adnan except for a few comments by friends. That's suspicious to me.

However, it does seem as if the interviews were set up with Jay Wilds. The kid is willing to say anything, which is clearly obvious by his testimony and the detectives backing him up, and the statement by Urick at his "After-the-fact" guilty plea of accessory. This is what leads to cases being questioned and people being critical of LE. You pull a guy into your interview room, talk to him for several hours, off the record, and then when your weak link gets all your talking points, you push record. Bad protocol. And as a prosecutor, you pick the best judge, a pro-bono attorney favor, and make comments to the judge about a guy you hardly know but make him sound like he's the best witness you've ever had since a Grisham novel.

On the other hand, you have a family that will defend their kid and hate's the girl their son is involved with. Suppose no words are exchanged on the actual crime, but Adnan conveys to the father that Hae broked up with him for another guy and says she's horrible, etc. The father knew about the relationship as per the HBO doc. The girl goes missing. Families almost never give up their relatives.

Jay and Adnan were involved in the murder. Who actually did the killing, I'm not sure there's evidence that says Jay was fixated on Hae. For whatever reason, Adnan got Jay involved. Why. Let's suppose Adnan is innocent. Why would a shady guy like Jay even be around Adnan in the first place. The only reason I suspect, is Adnan figured Jay would keep his mouth shut as he supplied everyone with a little pot here and there and knew how to keep secrets.

Adnan seems to be in the right place, but Jay Wilds needs to be charged and behind bars.
Um, what? Did you fall asleep or completely forget his classmate Asia said she was with Adnan in the library at the time of the supposed kidnapping/abduction of HML, based on the prosecution's timeline of events? Or the new boyfriend, Don Clinedinst (whom HML said she was meeting with at the time of her disappearance), who had a suspicious alibi (his mother was his supervisor at work) and that he worked a position that only required 1 person to be there (he wasn't scheduled to be at work that day, the other guy was there).
Osiris3657 is offline  
Old 04-17-19, 06:34 AM
  #18  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Shannon Nutt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 16,070
Re: The Case Against Adnan Syed (HBO) -- 4 part docuseries -- premieres 3/10/19

Originally Posted by Osiris3657 View Post
Um, what? Did you fall asleep or completely forget his classmate Asia said she was with Adnan in the library at the time of the supposed kidnapping/abduction of HML, based on the prosecution's timeline of events? Or the new boyfriend, Don Clinedinst (whom HML said she was meeting with at the time of her disappearance), who had a suspicious alibi (his mother was his supervisor at work) and that he worked a position that only required 1 person to be there (he wasn't scheduled to be at work that day, the other guy was there).
To quote the great Gil Grissom, "People lie. The evidence doesn't."
Shannon Nutt is offline  
Old 04-17-19, 07:17 AM
  #19  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 2,097
Re: The Case Against Adnan Syed (HBO) -- 4 part docuseries -- premieres 3/10/19

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt View Post
To quote the great Gil Grissom, "People lie. The evidence doesn't."
That's the thing with this case, even the evidence "lied". No one told the jury that the cell phone evidence was obtained from billing records rather than a more reliable source or that those records came with a caveat - “Any incoming calls will NOT be considered reliable information for location.” The state used incoming calls to the cell phone to determine the time and that Syed was in Leakin Park at 7:00. And remember, this isn't GPS tracking, everything they claimed is based on the location of cell phone towers that service geographic regions. So even if the records were reliable for incoming calls, the best they can say is that the phone was somewhere in the area serviced by a cell tower. The engineer that did the cell tower analysis for the prosecution himself said that he was misled and that the testimony he provided is not reliable. So in this case, the evidence lied and then they used Jay, who has admitted to lying about various details and whose various statements to the police and the court indicate lying, to cement the reliability of inaccurate evidence.

And as for "new evidence", if the engineer's testimony in the original trial was evidence then his recanting that testimony should be considered new. Also, the introduction of Asia McClain as an alibi witness, who wasn't included in the original trial, is new evidence. Regarding McClain, the appeals court ruled "that witness would not have affected the outcome of the proceeding." How the fuck can they predict that? Particularly in combination with the cell phone information. Ask yourself, had you been on a jury and voted for conviction and then someone comes out and tells you the cell phone evidence is unreliable and that there's a witness who says she was with the defendant at the time time of the murder - would you then feel there was reasonable doubt?

And that doesn't even take into consideration the testimony of the woman who said Adnan was acting weird on the night of the 13th (when Lee disappeared). She recalled that they were at her house watching Judge Judy (I think that's the show she said) only it turned out she was in class until 9:00 that night and couldn't have been home when she said. More new evidence.

In a criminal justice system that requires that the prosecution prove guilt beyond a reasonable doubt I don't see how an appeals court, a new prosecutor, and even the general public can feel comfortable with this decision.

Last edited by ytrez; 04-17-19 at 07:19 AM. Reason: fixing punctuation
ytrez is offline  
Old 04-17-19, 11:54 AM
  #20  
DVD Talk Legend
 
whotony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: ^ Kristen Bell
Posts: 18,808
Re: The Case Against Adnan Syed (HBO) -- 4 part docuseries -- premieres 3/10/19

Evidence does lie and can tampered with and manipulated. Etc.
whotony is offline  
Old 04-18-19, 11:11 AM
  #21  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 2,097
Re: The Case Against Adnan Syed (HBO) -- 4 part docuseries -- premieres 3/10/19

So I just did more reading up on the hearing that denied Syed's twice vacated conviction. In the 4-3 decision that concluded "that witness would not have affected the outcome of the proceeding" the basis for this hinged on completely disregarding the prosecution's timeline.

Basically, they're saying that a witness who says she was with the defendant during the time the prosecution says the victim was being murder will not influence the jury, as long as the jury doesn't take the prosecution's testimony regarding the time of the murder as fact.

Therefore, they're essentially saying that the prosecution, who has the burden to prove defendants' guilt beyond a reasonable doubt, don't have to nail time the actual details of a crime. That things like timelines, which can and should disprove the prosecution's case as appropriate, can be completely fungible.

Their saying that to have a successful claim, the defense would have to submit evidence that would be prejudicial under every possible hypothetical theory of a case. I don't understand how that decision can stand.

Look, I have no idea whether or not Syed killed Lee, but there are so many examples of injustice in this case it's mind boggling. There's so much reasonable doubt in this case it's insane.
ytrez is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.