Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

American Gods (STARZ) -- Season 2 Thread -- premieres 3/10/19

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 03-10-19, 07:57 AM

Received 302 Likes on 215 Posts

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/b3klnW1VjKI" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The eight-episode second season of the epic series "American Gods" will premiere on Sunday, March 10th, 2019 at 8PM ET/PT on STARZ and will be available the same day on the STARZ App. Starring Ricky Whittle (The 100, Nappily Ever After) as Shadow Moon and Ian McShane ("Deadwood", John Wick) as Mr. Wednesday, "American Gods" is a one-hour drama adapted from Neil Gaiman's best-selling novel about a war brewing between Old Gods and New Gods: the traditional gods of mythological roots from around the world steadily losing believers to an upstart pantheon of gods reflecting society's modern love of money, technology, media, celebrity and drugs. We were forged in God's image, but the Gods are also made in ours - and in Season Two the battle moves inexorably toward crisis point as the destinies of gods and men collide. While Mr. World plots revenge for the attack against him in Season One, Shadow throws in his lot with Wednesday's attempt to convince the Old Gods of the case for full-out war, with Laura and Mad Sweeney in tow. A council at the House on the Rock explodes into chaos, sending deities both Old and New on quests across America that will converge on Cairo, Illinois: forcing Shadow to carve out a place as a believer in this strange new world of living gods - a dark world where change demands commitment, and faith requires terrible sacrifice.
Old 03-15-19, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 189 Likes on 154 Posts
Re: American Gods (STARZ) -- Season 2 Thread -- premieres 3/10/19

https://deadline.com/2019/03/its-off...er-1202576699/

Renewed for a 3rd season today

I guess no one at DVD Talk is watching.

Charles Eglee was hired as the new showrunner.

He's worked on The Walking Dead, Dexter, The Shield and Dark Angel.
Old 03-15-19, 05:29 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 60 Likes on 54 Posts

not getting great reviews, so figured wait till streams...
Old 03-15-19, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 189 Likes on 154 Posts

If you subscribe to Starz, you can already stream it via their app.
Old 03-15-19, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

I keep getting tempted to catch s1 with all these STARZ free trials. Sigh...
Old 03-15-19, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't know how much critics has seen, but I really liked the premiere.
Old 03-15-19, 11:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love the show and the book its based on is my all time favorite book. they change things here and there but it sticks to the story fairly well and its fantastic i think.
Old 03-17-19, 01:56 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Season 2 is off to a pretty good start. =) Nice to hear it's been renewed for season 3 already. Really figured with all the production issues it'd cause the show to be canceled.
Old 03-17-19, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another good episode. Loved Leadbelly over the credits.
Old 03-31-19, 02:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a question about Greatest Story Ever Told...

Spoiler:
I'm guessing the CEO the Technical Kid goes to see is the same one that created the Bach algorithm from the start of the episode. What was the Technical Kid supposed to convince him of and why? I am guessing since New Media was involved, was it that the CEO had moved away from the how of getting the media to the media itself?
Old 04-03-19, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts

Do we need spoilers for an episode that's already aired?

Anyway, Tech Boy was trying to convince the CEO to build a replacement for Argus, using smartphones as the monitoring devices. But smartphones are just the means people use to share a whole mass of data to social media, which is where New Media stepped in.

Also, I thought the beginning of the episode was showing the birth of Tech Boy, from the first true believer.
Old 04-28-19, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I hope this has another season. This show is wonderful.
Old 04-28-19, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 74 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler View Post
I hope this has another season. This show is wonderful.
Its already been renewed for season 3.
Old 04-28-19, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Great. It takes a lot of patience. And doesnít supply clear answers. Much like a Lindelof show. But itís always entertaining and visually wonderful.
Old 04-29-19, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler View Post
Great. It takes a lot of patience. And doesnít supply clear answers. Much like a Lindelof show. But itís always entertaining and visually wonderful.
I was just about to start season one tonight but the Lindelof mention has kind of put me off now. The man is a blight on good story telling.
Old 04-29-19, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by stvn1974 View Post
I was just about to start season one tonight but the Lindelof mention has kind of put me off now. The man is a blight on good story telling.
Don't worry, this show is based on a book, so they already have a satisfying end-point to work towards. I personally hate Lindelof, so I wouldn't have mentioned him talking about this show.

I've personally found the 2nd season a bit disappointing, but that's only in comparison to how bat-shit insane the first season one. I felt like Brian Fuller was taking the source material and doing a bit of a "remix" of it, keeping the core but expanding out in exciting new directions. In the 2nd season with Fuller gone, I feel like they've gone back to focus more on the source material and move that story along. It's still well acted and visually beautiful, but as someone who's read the book it's become more predictable.
Old 04-29-19, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Fell behind on the show this season and haven't had the motivation to watch more. I suppose I'll eventually get to it, but damn this season was definitely several steps down in comparison with season one.
Old 05-01-19, 05:41 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The second season was fine overall, but the season finale was a huge disappointment. Absolutely nothing happened during the entire episode, other than the "big reveal". Given the scope of the materials, I would be very pissed if they try to pull this same bullshit again in order to squeeze out another two seasons.
Old 02-05-20, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 170 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by ~~ PAL ~~ View Post
The second season was fine overall, but the season finale was a huge disappointment. Absolutely nothing happened during the entire episode, other than the "big reveal". Given the scope of the materials, I would be very pissed if they try to pull this same bullshit again in order to squeeze out another two seasons.
Finally finished this with a cheap-ish Amazon Prime Starz subscription. Man, talking about rolling downhill in a hurry. Lots of just spinning wheels, and the plot going absolutely nowhere. I could understand some filler if this were like 22 episode seasons but 8 episode seasons and you're doing nothing?

I can kind of understand the whole "Easter" thing with the actress, but man that totally killed the momentum from the previous season. Then all the gods get together and you're thinking, finally. Then they get split up and killed by, well, bullets (if it's more it is never even partially explained to us). Then because another actress left one of the best characters gets a massive, massive downgrade. Then some of the gods gather together and you're thinking finally we're going to start, but no, derailed again. And the "huge reveal" at the end of the finale was something a child guessed a long time ago.

There was some garbage in season 1 where tech kid asks Mr. World why he doesn't just kill Odin, and that's just all thrown out the window this season except now we see that he could pretty much kill Odin and his gang at any time and just fails due to incompetence.

Now Orlando Jones isn't going to be back.

edited to add: ok, I also just read that Pablo, Kahyun Kim, Mousa Kraish aren't going to be back, and Glover is only on for one episode next season. I guess it's a good thing they can just change the appearances of some of the gods but geez.

Last edited by fujishig; 02-05-20 at 02:19 PM.
Old 02-05-20, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
Finally finished this with a cheap-ish Amazon Prime Starz subscription. Man, talking about rolling downhill in a hurry. Lots of just spinning wheels, and the plot going absolutely nowhere. I could understand some filler if this were like 22 episode seasons but 8 episode seasons and you're doing nothing?
This show was definitely doing some additional wheel spinning in regards to the plot from the book, but the book is a bit of a slow build itself.

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
Now Orlando Jones isn't going to be back.

edited to add: ok, I also just read that Pablo, Kahyun Kim, Mousa Kraish aren't going to be back, and Glover is only on for one episode next season. I guess it's a good thing they can just change the appearances of some of the gods but geez.
My understanding is that all of these actors aren't going to be back because the next season is primarily about Shadow in hiding, which is taken from the book. So it's plausible, although I'm wary of them using a whole season for that section of the book. The showrunners did hint that they might be back for the season after, although Orlando Jones may have burned too many bridges for that to happen.
Old 02-05-20, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 87 Likes on 72 Posts

If the next season is about Shadow in hiding, I'm guessing it's when in the book he's in that town where he's laying low and it's snowing the entire time. Wanna see the wheels spin for a season? Let's see what they do with that. I almost bailed on the book at that point.

Last edited by E Unit; 02-05-20 at 04:42 PM.
Old 02-05-20, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by E Unit View Post
If the next season is about Shadow in hiding, I'm guessing it's when in the book he's in that town where he's laying low and it's snowing the entire time. Wanna see the wheels spin for a season? Let's see what they do with that. I almost bailed on the book at that point.
Yeah, it's the most wheel-spinning part of the book. In contrast, in the book, Shadow doesn't spend that much time in Cairo at all.
Old 02-05-20, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If season 3 is really going to be that small part... it's going to have even shittier pacing than the first two seasons. In which case I think I'm going to bail.
Old 02-05-20, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 170 Likes on 132 Posts

I can't imagine a season three were less happens than in season 2. To add to that, I can't imagine a season that is completely focused on Shadow's character, who is the weakest character on the show. Maybe the actor isn't that bad and it's just the way the part is written, but man I just cringe when he's the focus.
Old 02-06-20, 10:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And, since Comcast just swapped out Starz for Epix (or will next week) in whatever overpriced cable package I have, I guess I won't be seeing this either. Not that I much care. I read the book after watching the first two seasons, and I'm not sure I want to sit through all of that in the way this confusing show portrays it.