Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Alex Trebek diagnosed with stage 4 pancreatic cancer [Update: Dead at 80]

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-19, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 393 Likes on 281 Posts
re: Alex Trebek diagnosed with stage 4 pancreatic cancer [Update: Dead at 80]

its hard to imagine the show going on without him. Many, many years ago my wife and I were able to "try out" to be contestants for Jeopardy in Boston. I do well enough at home but man I felt like a complete idiot sitting in the room doing the quiz. Needles to say I was weeded out in the earliest stage of the game but it was fun to try. I think the pen I got is still kicking around the house somewhere as a memento.

Would be great if they were able to somehow get him in remission and stable. He looks amazing for his age right now...
Old 03-07-19, 09:35 AM
Admin

Received 466 Likes on 306 Posts

My mother-in-law died from Pancreatic cancer a few years ago. She lasted 6 weeks after she was diagnosed.

A coworker of mine was diagnosed with it last year. He was jaundice and looked horrible, but he is just about to be listed as in remission by Moffitt Cancer Center, so who knows what will happen. Odds are horrible with Pancreatic Cancer though. Steve Jobs couldn't beat it even with all his millions for medical treatment.
Old 03-07-19, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts

This is just horrible. I hope he makes it.
Old 03-07-19, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

Had a close friend die of pancreatic cancer at 41 years old - he died less than 6 months after finding out - it had spread everywhere.
The worst part of it is not knowing in time before it spreads.
It just sucks all around.
Old 03-07-19, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Condolences to everyone here that has lost someone from pancreatic cancer. It's awful and really terrible about Trebek. I've been a big Jeopardy fan my whole life, Trebek is irreplaceable. I hope for a recovery but I think we all see the writing on the wall.
Old 03-07-19, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by movieguru
Definetly sad news!! He's a staple on Jeapordy just like Bob Barker was with TPIR. I know he was going to retire in a few years. Hopefully he can make it healthy through his last three yeats, but it doesn't sound good. Can't imagine who'll they'll replace him with when he retires or passes. I wonder if they'll play around with having a few different people be the host for a few weeks at a time and see if anyone stands out. Wonder if they would give Ken Jennnings a shot as he's pretty synonymouswith the show and seems to be on it nearly as much as Alex Trebek.
It wouldn't surprise me to see Ken Jennings given a real shot at hosting after Trebek.

Old 03-07-19, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 120 Likes on 80 Posts

Alex has ideas for his replacement

"During an appearance at New York's
center, Trebek talked about who would be a good fit to take over his hosting gig.

“It’s probably going to be a woman, somebody younger, somebody bright, somebody personable, somebody with a great sense of humor, so I nominated Betty White," he joked.

He then mentioned some more serious candidates, including CNN's Laura Coates, LA Kings announcer Alex Faust and TCM’s Ben Mankiewicz.
Old 03-07-19, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by tommyp007

"During an appearance at New York's 92nd Street Y center, Trebek talked about who would be a good fit to take over his hosting gig.

“It’s probably going to be a woman, somebody younger, somebody bright, somebody personable, somebody with a great sense of humor, so I nominated Betty White," he joked.

He then mentioned some more serious candidates, including CNN's Laura Coates, LA Kings announcer Alex Faust and TCM’s Ben Mankiewicz.
While they're not famous, what about one of those people that have been doing some of the video Jeapordy questions/answer on the show for the past few years? Isn't the blonde girls name Sara and I can't remember the one guy's name; maybe Jeff?
Old 03-07-19, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Definitely one of the most iconic game show hosts that’s left. Once he’s gone really the only ones left of the classic era of game shows will be Pat and Vanna on Wheel of Fortune. I don’t watch a while ton of Jeopardy!, but I do enjoy it from time to time and it’s too bad to hear this news.
Old 03-08-19, 06:41 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 149 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by movieguru
While they're not famous, what about one of those people that have been doing some of the video Jeapordy questions/answer on the show for the past few years? Isn't the blonde girls name Sara and I can't remember the one guy's name; maybe Jeff?
During the recent All-Stars tournament (which was awesome BTW), they had some 'Insiders' videos on YouTube hosted by Jimmy from the Clue Crew. While he does fine at reading clues, he came off very cheesy as a host/interviewer.

Crazy that Jeopardy! was on such a high lately, celebrating 35 years, doing the All-Stars tournament, and even announcing there's going to be POP figures of Alex Trebek, and then this news comes up
Apparently they finish filming this season in April, I wonder if he's actually going to film any more seasons or retire to enjoy the time he has left with family and friends.
Old 03-08-19, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by joltman
During the recent All-Stars tournament (which was awesome BTW), they had some 'Insiders' videos on YouTube hosted by Jimmy from the Clue Crew. While he does fine at reading clues, he came off very cheesy as a host/interviewer.

Crazy that Jeopardy! was on such a high lately, celebrating 35 years, doing the All-Stars tournament, and even announcing there's going to be POP figures of Alex Trebek, and then this news comes up
Apparently they finish filming this season in April, I wonder if he's actually going to film any more seasons or retire to enjoy the time he has left with family and friends.
He says he's still got three years on his contract. I'd imagine he wants to keep on doing it until he gets too ill to be able to perform his duties.
Old 03-08-19, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by joltman

I'd prefer they use Sarah....she's definetly not bad on the eyes.
Old 03-08-19, 10:56 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

jeapardy producers and trebek no doubt ready in talks of who to cast as new host should things go downhill fast when tebek's rounds of invasive chemo begins...
a new unknown joe-blow hosting the show be too risky.... i think find a "voice" face and personality already on tv thats proven to have attracted folks attention all the whilest remaining a mystery' so that jeapardy producers can still groom him into the game show role...

i'm thinking someone like jon hamm from the assurance car commercials or patrick warburton from family guy.
they both have that deep rich "father knows best" quiet delivery that trebek employs to inject comedic banter with the contestants...

also hamm and warburton are not hollywood A-listers, who all to date have proven to be the WORST at hosting anything ever.
myself..i've never sat through another price is right again.
after handsome bob barker and his buxotic barker beauties were replaced by a pale CBS clown and his bevy of field hockey broads
i wanted kill myself under the price is right wheel.

Last edited by ScHoLaR oF SMuT; 03-09-19 at 09:47 AM.
Old 04-04-19, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Report: Jeopardy looking for Alex Trebek's replacement: https://radaronline.com/exclusives/2...cancer-crisis/

I have a friend who works at the Sony lot and works on Jeopardy and he says Alex is very weak from his chemo, but he's been shooting 5-6 shows per day. He says they are going to be in production for another month or two and then take a summer hiatus, but he's not sure if Alex will survive the summer or not. So maybe that's why the producers are looking into this.

The currently airing episodes are about 1 month behind, so you're not going to see Alex's look and condition change on camera just yet.
Old 04-04-19, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Damn, very sad that he may not even survive the summer.
Old 04-04-19, 05:38 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

shit diagnosis. He likely will not be alive in 3 months despite everyone's best efforts.
Old 04-04-19, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 949 Likes on 723 Posts

I hope it's not disrespectful to suggest this, but has anyone considered Will Ferrell as the replacement?
Old 04-04-19, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Wonder if they've called him yet.
Old 04-04-19, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Originally Posted by TGM
shit diagnosis. He likely will not be alive in 3 months despite everyone's best efforts.
Yes, it is. Stage 4 is very bad for any cancer. And pancreatic cancer is one of the worst cancers you can get.

I’ve been bracing myself since he revealed the news.

Old 04-04-19, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,028 Likes on 727 Posts

Originally Posted by Paff
I hope it's not disrespectful to suggest this, but has anyone considered Will Ferrell as the replacement?
Fuck. That. Shit.

That would be enough to get me to stop watching.

Old 04-04-19, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts

Man, pancreatic cancer SUCKS.

I lost one of my best friends from high school 3 years ago to pancreatic cancer. She was misdiagnosed at first (when it was still probably stage 2), and by the time they got the diagnosis right it was stage 4. She was dead 6 weeks later.

I can't imagine how horrible it must feel to get that news. I hope I never find out.
Old 04-04-19, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by gryffinmaster

Wonder if they've called him yet.
That was my first thought.
Old 04-05-19, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

Not sure how serious this was, but I heard Jeff Goldblum's name being bandied about.
Old 04-05-19, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
Not sure how serious this was, but I heard Jeff Goldblum's name being bandied about.
I’d dig that.
Old 04-05-19, 06:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by tommyp007

God please, NO!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.