Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

After Life (Netflix) -- created by and starring Ricky Gervais -- premieres 3/8/19

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

After Life (Netflix) -- created by and starring Ricky Gervais -- premieres 3/8/19

Old 03-05-19, 10:20 AM

From the mind of Ricky Gervais, After Life is a the story of Tony, who had an all-too-perfect life. But after his wife Lisa suddenly dies, Tony changes.

He decides instead to live long enough to punish the world by saying and doing whatever he likes from now on. He thinks itís like a Super Power ó not caring about himself or anyone else ó but it turns out to be tricky when everyone is trying to save the nice guy they used to know.
Old 03-05-19, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: After Life (Netflix) -- created by and starring Ricky Gervais -- premieres 3/8/19

Sounds great.

His show from a few years ago was great too.
Derek.
Old 03-05-19, 02:21 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Re: After Life (Netflix) -- created by and starring Ricky Gervais -- premieres 3/8/19

That looks good. I like Gervais in almost anything.
Old 03-05-19, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'll give it a go. Has characters from past shows Derek and Extras.
Old 03-09-19, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I started watching this last night (I'm a big Gervais fan) and it's pretty good, but holy fuck it gets really dark sometimes.
Old 03-09-19, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have liked everything that he has put out with one exception...Derek. Will definitely be checking out After Life.
Old 03-09-19, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Watched the first three episodes, and really enjoyed it. I had to stop myself watching the last three as I wanted to spread it out.

Great cast! Loads of familiar faces.

I've liked everything he's done, but thought Life's Too Short was the weakest. Although, it did have it's funny moments.
Old 03-10-19, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Finished it. Really enjoyed it but man oh man, it's hard to root for Tony after..

Spoiler:
...he gives Julian the money to OD and kill himself. It looked like we'd get the whole realizing what he did was wrong and racing to stop Julian for doing it, but nope, he just went to bed.

I liked the supporting characters as well, especially the nurse, Anne and Daphne, and some of Tony's insults were great, especially against the tubby little ginger. It's easy to see where the show would end up, but it was well worth the watch.

As always, there's always things to complain about and I guess some people are upset he recycled (or was it a callback to) some earlier material:

Ricky Gervais recycled a 15-year-old joke in his new Netflix show 'After Life.' Some fans aren't happy.
Old 03-11-19, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Plowed through this weekend - which isn't as pathetic as it sounds simply because there were only 6 25 minute episodes. Wish the British would make their seasons (or "series" as they call it) a little longer.

I enjoyed it... sad, but without being too shmaltzy.
Watching shows like this makes me really want to live in a small town that has everything you need - and is walk-able everywhere. A nice quiet stress-free type town.

Originally Posted by movieking View Post
Finished it. Really enjoyed it but man oh man, it's hard to root for Tony after..

Spoiler:
...he gives Julian the money to OD and kill himself. It looked like we'd get the whole realizing what he did was wrong and racing to stop Julian for doing it, but nope, he just went to bed.
Yea, they really didn't address that and there didn't seem to be any guilt for Tony - especially after he turned the corner for himself and had a change of outlook on life.
Old 03-11-19, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

NOT a fan of Gervais.
However, I have seen a movie he did awhile back that I enjoyed (The Invention of Lying).
The trailer looks good for this series...I'll try to give it a watch.
Old 03-11-19, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Coral View Post
Plowed through this weekend - which isn't as pathetic as it sounds simply because there were only 6 25 minute episodes. Wish the British would make their seasons (or "series" as they call it) a little longer.

I enjoyed it... sad, but without being too shmaltzy.
Watching shows like this makes me really want to live in a small town that has everything you need - and is walk-able everywhere. A nice quiet stress-free type town.

Yea, they really didn't address that and there didn't seem to be any guilt for Tony - especially after he turned the corner for himself and had a change of outlook on life.
Finished it tonight, and thoroughly enjoyed it.

I was worried he was going to give us a gut punch and show up to not find Anne, but instead find her gravestone beside her husband's stone. I still won't rule it out, assuming there's a second series. Their relationship was really well written and one of the highlights of the series, IMHO.

Regarding the OD, It sounds awful but I just saw it as giving him a gift that he really seemed to want. Julian was truly unhappy and wanted a way out. Sure, he could've 'saved' up enough to buy it, himself, but he didn't seem to have the willpower to not get his non-lethal hit when he had enough money.

Hard to image where a second series would go, but I sure hope it does (and fully expect it will).

Old 03-12-19, 03:07 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

The redemption arc didn't have quite the impact on me that "Extras" had, but I still really enjoyed the whole season. Much better than "Derek".
Old 03-12-19, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Watched the first two eps, and enjoying it, will def finish this up over the next few weeks...
Old 03-14-19, 05:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Three episodes in and fucking loving it!
Old 03-16-19, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Hoping for a second series, but
Spoiler:
hard to see how he effectively would pull that off. Seems to be one and done based on the last episode.
Old 03-16-19, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, to me it seems like the character arc is finished, not sure where it could successfully go from here. Not Gervais' best show, but it was enjoyable and thought provoking.
Old 04-03-19, 10:59 AM