Reload this Page >

American Idol (ABC) -- Season 17 Thread -- Premieres 3/3/19

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 03-03-19, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

SEASON PREMIERE

'AMERICAN IDOL' RETURNS TO AMERICA'S NETWORK KICKING OFF THE ALL-NEW SEASON WITH A TWO-HOUR PREMIERE, SUNDAY, MARCH 3

"201 (Auditions)" - "American Idol" returns to The ABC Television Network on SUNDAY, MARCH 3 (8:00-10:01 p.m. EST), streaming and on demand, after first making its return to airwaves as the No. 1 reality show launch for its inaugural season on the network during the 2017-2018 season. Returning this season to discover an all-new crop of inspiring singers are music industry legends and all-star judges Luke Bryan, Katy Perry and Lionel Richie, as well as Emmy(R)-winning producer Ryan Seacrest as host. Famed multimedia personality Bobby Bones will take on the role of in-house mentor.

In the highly anticipated premiere episode, viewers will embark on a nation-wide journey starting with the shows' famed judge auditions in Louisville, Kentucky; Coeur d'Alene, Idaho; Los Angeles, California; New York, New York; and Denver, Colorado, where aspiring singers will see if they have what it takes to earn a coveted golden ticket to Hollywood.

"American Idol" is produced by Fremantle and Industrial Media's 19 Entertainment. Executive producers include Fremantle's Trish Kinane, also serving as showrunner, Jennifer Mullin, Megan Wolflick and Industrial Media's Chris Anokute. Fremantle distributes the series worldwide.

Read more:Listings - AMERICAN IDOL on ABC | TheFutonCritic.comhttp://www.thefutoncritic.com/listings/20190212abc02/#ixzz5h7nPN6rZ

Season 17 overall and Season 2 on ABC.

I watched the entire 16th season last year on ABC and enjoyed it after bailing on the FOX version for many years. Thought it was a relatively successful and smaller scale version, which was good.
Old 03-05-19, 01:45 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Re: American Idol (ABC) -- Season 17 Thread -- Premieres 3/3/19

I just got to the 2 hour premiere tonight.

No one really stood out that much, but I was really moved by the final story about that young man Nick dealing with the suicides of his older brother and sadly his younger brother, which happened at different times. That was tough to hear. He did have a unique voice.

The Goth guy who scream rapped was creepy.

I did like that young 20 year old girl who was a fan of Lionel.

at the guy who lied and said Lionel was his inspiration and he didn't know a single song.
Old 03-05-19, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

One reply.

Im only a handful of performances in but the first one, the white redhead boy was awful and the skinny black girl who didn’t have a bed was just terrible.
Old 03-06-19, 06:37 PM

How. on earth does this show pencil out financially?

With all the money being paid to these judges (I believe Katy Perry still gets $25million a season), mediocre talent, boring contestant storylines, so so ratings, I just don't understand how this has managed to stay on the air. Who is watching this? Old Idol fans? Certainly not millennials.

I love your music Katy Perry but your persona on the show is so shrill and grating its off putting. Lionel Richie is a nice guy but is he really shocked that none of the contestants have a clue who he is considering the show's age limit for contestants and his last hit song being in the 1980s? And Luke Bryan is just boring. None of them bring any special twist on 'judging' or even having an affinity for contestants who are in their own music genres. Judging by the horrible top 10 they picked last year I'm sure we can expect more of the same unless by some chance another Kelly Clarkson just happens to fall into their laps.

Personally I have begun speed-watching shows just skipping to each contestant for 15 secs to see if they are any good and then flying through the 2 hour episode in 30 minutes. I wonder how many others are doing the same.
On the plus side, this reboot seems to mean less Ryan Seacrest which is definitely a plus.
Old 03-06-19, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Dude, settle down. It's the 1st show of the season. Good Lord that was one crazy ramble. And I disagree that last season's talent was awful. Maddie Poppe IMO was quite good for her genre and very likable. She isn't going to be Carrie Underwood or Kelly Clarkson famous, but who is these days? And I guess you paid no attention to the back stories, but there were a few including the one I mentioned that were quite moving. This show has always been about selling personal stories in addition to singing talent. This is not some robotic music factory show.

It really sounds like you just don't care anymore. I think it's maybe time for you to move on?

Originally Posted by bluesix View Post
Lionel Richie is a nice guy but is he really shocked that none of the contestants have a clue who he is considering the show's age limit for contestants and his last hit song being in the 1980s? And Luke Bryan is just boring. None of them bring any special twist on 'judging' or even having an affinity for contestants who are in their own music genres.
Wrong, I'm a huge Lionel fan and his last studio album in 2012 was a huge hit.

Lionel Richie?s Tuskegee Reaches Platinum | CMT

Certified Platinum. He's been busy with his Las Vegas residency and touring over the last 7+ years, but he's still very well known.
Old 03-07-19, 04:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Katy has new music

She lost the war with Taylor Swift but maybe she might be able to make a comeback since her last album bombed or she peaked and will never become that popular again.

Old 03-08-19, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So the guy at the end of the last ep.

pkayed guitar great. Played piano well

singing. Was good but I donít know why they slobbered all over that guy.
Old 03-10-19, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by whotony View Post
One reply.

Im only a handful of performances in but the first one, the white redhead boy was awful and the skinny black girl who didn’t have a bed was just terrible.
We said the same thing. The bar to get to Hollywood has never been lower based on what I saw in the first audition episode. There were a few good ones (the Vietnamese girl really stood out) but the vast majority that went through were very underwhelming.

This show is in desperate need of a realist (mean) judge. As it stands now the judging portion is completely worthless.
Old 03-12-19, 12:56 AM

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
I just got to the 2 hour premiere tonight.

No one really stood out that much, but I was really moved by the final story about that young man Nick dealing with the suicides of his older brother and sadly his younger brother, which happened at different times. That was tough to hear. He did have a unique voice.

The Goth guy who scream rapped was creepy.

I did like that young 20 year old girl who was a fan of Lionel.

at the guy who lied and said Lionel was his inspiration and he didn't know a single song.
Laine Hardy is back, I dont care if it is a publicity stunt or not, I thought he was awesome last season