Survivor: Edge of Extinction - Season 38 Thread

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Survivor: Edge of Extinction - Season 38 Thread

Old 05-02-19, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 182 Likes on 147 Posts
re: Survivor: Edge of Extinction - Season 38 Thread

Originally Posted by Finisher
Yeah, he's a big deal in North Carolina. My sister told me about him in advance. I thought recent seasons were just really bad casting but it's clear they just waste people/do a lousy job giving backstory and making us care.
This season is especially egregious b/c they focused SO much attention on the returning players. Most of the new player time in the first half of the season was solely on how they reacted to the returning players. It seems especially ridiculous now given that none of the returning players are playing any part of this season's end game (EoE pending).
Old 05-02-19, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 269 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by brainee
I love that they made the loved ones participate in the challenge again.
Dalton Ross said he was responsible for that.
Old 05-03-19, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob V
It's pathetic that we didn't learn this stuff about Ron. He's a real life difference-maker and I'm bummed to see him voted out now.
Agreed. Would be so easy for the show to include brief scenes/stills of the contestant's home lives. Hell, even CBS's own Amazing Race squeezes in brief clips of the contestant's lives outside of the show. (Just last episode, for example, there were glimpses of "Team Fun's" pre-AR lives as musicians and singers.) Still have no idea what sport Lauren competed in in college.
Old 05-03-19, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,027 Likes on 4,115 Posts

I don't know. I kind of like how the Survivors decide how much of their outside life they wish to share. Maybe Ron wanted to keep his outside life on the DL for whatever reason.
Last season Mike White talked about his Hollywood successes at length, and they showed a clip of him in School of Rock.

And for the curious or the truly bored, here you go :

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/xVsld1Wls10" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 05-04-19, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Decker
I don't know. I kind of like how the Survivors decide how much of their outside life they wish to share. Maybe Ron wanted to keep his outside life on the DL for whatever reason.
Last season Mike White talked about his Hollywood successes at length, and they showed a clip of him in School of Rock.
While that is certainly true, if that was the case then they could have had Ron talk to us about it. Instead they had Ron talk to us about Joe.
Old 05-04-19, 09:59 AM

Honestly, the editing this year has just been weird. They spent 85% of their time on Lesu tribe members to the point where we still don't have a good handle on the Kama members. As I said before there are some REALLY nondescript players left and I feel like I know next to nothing about Julie, Aurora, Gavin or Vic. And I think everyone would agree that whatever their original plan was for Edge of Extinction, it's been a failure in execution. Often it feels like the producers forgot that it was even there.
Old 05-04-19, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 272 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
Honestly, the editing this year has just been weird. They spent 85% of their time on Lesu tribe members to the point where we still don't have a good handle on the Kama members. As I said before there are some REALLY nondescript players left and I feel like I know next to nothing about Julie, Aurora, Gavin or Vic. And I think everyone would agree that whatever their original plan was for Edge of Extinction, it's been a failure in execution. Often it feels like the producers forgot that it was even there.
You are not wrong, I keep thinking that right about now another Edge of Extinction castaway should be allowed to participate in a challenge to get back in the game but nothing...kinda odd. When the Edge folks watch this back in the states many are going to regret passing on that sweet Ponderosa shelter and food. I think Jeff is punking the castaways who do not realize that they could still be jurors if they chose to quit the game instead of going to the Edge of Extinction.
Old 05-08-19, 11:15 PM

Well, its' hard to imagine an individual having a better single-episode game than Devins did there. Found an idol, won immunity and bluffed his way to swing the vote in his preferred direction. He is so fun to watch.

Still hate that the Edge folks are going to play into the endgame somehow. Still whatever hate I have for Edge, I do have to admit it gave us Devins 2.0 which has been a really fun ride.
Old 05-09-19, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 180 Likes on 125 Posts

Yes, very well played bluff.

Though I couldn't help but at how easily he seemed to find another hidden immunity idol. I'm just imagining a camera guy camped by where it was hidden giggling when he spots Devens.

They're going to be having to cover a lot of stuff next week. EoE challenge, 3 immunity challenges, 3 regular tribal councils, and final tribal council (in 2 hours).
Old 05-09-19, 01:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 230 Likes on 164 Posts

Is anybody going to fix the title?

#CDO. OCD but in correct alphabetical order, like it should be.
Old 05-09-19, 06:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 209 Likes on 185 Posts

Yes, very well played bluff.

Though I couldn't help but at how easily he seemed to find another hidden immunity idol. I'm just imagining a camera guy camped by where it was hidden giggling when he spots Devens.

They're going to be having to cover a lot of stuff next week. EoE challenge, 3 immunity challenges, 3 regular tribal councils, and final tribal council (in 2 hours).
or maybe 2-and-a-half, like last time. They do seem to pack more and more into the finale each season.
Old 05-09-19, 06:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 323 Likes on 241 Posts

It's getting ridiculous how the producers help their "favorites" on this show. But let's be honest, Devens is by far the most interesting player still in the game...all the other interesting people are in the jury. If the final three consisted of any of the others (at least the ones still in the game - we don't know who will come back from Edge yet...but they certainly won't have much of an argument for the jury to vote for them), it would be a vote for the least boring person.
Old 05-09-19, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 209 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
It's getting ridiculous how the producers help their "favorites" on this show. But let's be honest, Devens is by far the most interesting player still in the game...all the other interesting people are in the jury. If the final three consisted of any of the others (at least the ones still in the game - we don't know who will come back from Edge yet...but they certainly won't have much of an argument for the jury to vote for them), it would be a vote for the least boring person.
I'm sure that Probst hopes Joe is the one to come back, since I kind of feel that EOI was designed to help a player like him, -the kind that's destined to always be voted out quickly, -actually have a solid chance to win the game.
Old 05-09-19, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Anyone voted off before Ron has no business winning this season. I wonder if Kelley squealing to everyone at EoE that Lauren has an idol will come into play next week.

Rick "Ben" Devens is an entertaining player, but enough with the idols. At least he has some immunity wins under his belt so finding idols isn't his only game play.
Old 05-15-19, 07:23 PM

Received 770 Likes on 503 Posts

Someone has rejoined the game.

Thank the Survivor Gods that
Spoiler:
Chris won and not a repeat player.
Old 05-15-19, 07:56 PM

Oh boy... this is getting good... 😂

Spoiler:
Survivor: Idolpolooza!

Best line so far...

Spoiler:
... upon finding a fake idol, Lauren says, “It’s like the Survivor Gods said to me, ‘Lauren, you were an idiot last night, time to redeem yourself.’”
Old 05-15-19, 08:50 PM

I didn’t see that coming....

Spoiler:
If Chris doesn’t sweep the vote... minus Victoria’s vote for Gavin... I’ll be upset. Chris made the move he needed to. Bravo, Chris.

Last edited by Goldberg74; 05-15-19 at 08:59 PM.
Old 05-15-19, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

That was absolute garbage. Complete and utter garbage.
Old 05-15-19, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts

so bad. Survivor needs to rest a season. What kind of win was that?

Spoiler:
so most/all of the EOE rejects voted for the EOE returnee
great twist there Probst!

Last edited by chowderhead; 05-15-19 at 09:40 PM.
Old 05-15-19, 09:40 PM

What were the chances that the winner would come from extinction?

The producers must be happy with that win… They tried their social experiment, and it worked.

Spoiler:
Just waiting for Jeff to say, “who would’ve voted for Devens?” and seeing almost all the hands go up... minus Victoria of course.
Old 05-15-19, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by mwbmis
Agree on Rick Devins being a worthy winner...he was barely out of the game. My worry is that one of those two nondescript guys on EoE (I'd have to go to the first page of this thread to get their names) wins the next competition...whenever it is...and makes it to the end and wins. That would make an already mediocre season even worse.
And they did. Go Chris. Survivor nadir!!!!! Even worse than Jud (Fabio) winning.

Survivor has lost complete track of the game of Survivor and Survivor scavenger hunt and hidden advantages has fully taken over.
Old 05-15-19, 09:50 PM

Please announce Season 39’s theme is Survivor: Idol-less.

Edit to add: Survivor: Island of the Idols, featuring Boston Rob and Sandra as mentors. As Jeff says, “a Survivor Boot Camp.”

Guess I can skip next season. 😉

Last edited by Goldberg74; 05-15-19 at 09:57 PM.
Old 05-15-19, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 269 Likes on 198 Posts

I hope Survivor screws over the players next season by giving the mentors a "chance" to join the game like they did on Big Brother.
Old 05-15-19, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven’t finished watching but I stopped caring and I’m happy to see others feel mostly the way I do. I’m not even sure again how to evaluate game play because it was just idol after idol after idol. Lauren just left and I couldn’t care less who wins.

I think I will always watch survivor but the advantages and idols have really ruined a lot of seasons. It’s so disappointing that I feel the winner of MTV’s The Challenge (soap opera) will be more deserving than Survivor and I actually care who wins that final.

Last edited by dolphinboy; 05-15-19 at 10:36 PM.
Old 05-15-19, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I assume Chris will win in the final 3. Ballsy move for sure to go to fire but he didn’t really have a choice and I don’t care how well Chris played for a few days when he was outside of the game for most of it. That and the idols just makes this so terrible. No one should have returned that late and there were too many advantages as has been the case a lot.

Go Cara Maria!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.