TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Survivor: Edge of Extinction - Season 38 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-19, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 215 Likes on 190 Posts
re: Survivor: Edge of Extinction - Season 38 Thread

Originally Posted by windom
The jury is all of the people on the "Edge of Extinction" island. I'm not sure what would happen if they raise the flag though. Would they be off the jury?

The people on EoE should just make a pact to vote for the next person from EoE to go back into the game to be the winner if that person is there at the end. Of course they might change their mind after they don't re-enter the game, but it seems like the only strategy that would allow anyone still at EoE to win the game. Heck, even the very first player voted out could still win the game.
I think Joe is set up pretty well to win this thing.
Old 04-18-19, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

For all the scheming and plotting I sense that this episode just came down to the fact that the new players wanted to get rid of the returning players.

If the player that makes it back into the game from EoE makes it to final tribal they'll have a giant advantage. And yes ... Joe is most likely to be the one. Though the other players will have to know that, and the returning player will have to sweep all immunity challenges until again. And again ... Joe could certainly do that.

Jeff is such a corrupt-a-wish bastard with the pizza. You want pizza? Here it is! But ... it's pineapple pizza And the way it was just all stacked up there, it looked pretty nasty to me. Though I'm sure still better than nothing.
Old 04-24-19, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 193 Likes on 155 Posts

I know the only reason it exists is to preserve the returning players, but I really wish Extinction Island was over. Any player that comes back at this point will have a huge advantage with the jury.
Old 04-25-19, 06:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

If any of those Edge residents (including Devens) wind up in the final three, they don't deserve a vote - it should be pointed out to the jury that in most other seasons of Survivor, they'd be out of the game completely.
Old 04-25-19, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
If any of those Edge residents (including Devens) wind up in the final three, they don't deserve a vote - it should be pointed out to the jury that in most other seasons of Survivor, they'd be out of the game completely.
Fortunately juries are a lot more reasonable in recent years. Very few votes based on sour-grapes or who was a better friend to who. And what you said is an extremely good argument ... if someone at final tribal was voted out then by definition their game wasn't as good as someone who wasn't. Especially if Joe gets back in the game. What could he argue he did well besides challenges?
Old 04-25-19, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't know. I'm still not sure the case the jury made to vote Michele over Aubry, and Ben won even though the only thing he was good at was Survivor Scavenger Hunt...and even then they had to change the rules of the game to get him in the final 3. I could easily see one of those Edge people winning the game.
Old 04-25-19, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If Devens gets to the end, he deserves the votes. If anyone else from EoE makes it to the end, I'm inclined to agree with Shannon.

Related: I'm not digging this season. Really hoping they'll finally learn that these side vote-out island dynamics don't really work well.

Wouldn't be opposed to the return of Exile Island, though, if they've gotta do something like this.
Old 04-25-19, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Agree on Rick Devins being a worthy winner...he was barely out of the game. My worry is that one of those two nondescript guys on EoE (I'd have to go to the first page of this thread to get their names) wins the next competition...whenever it is...and makes it to the end and wins. That would make an already mediocre season even worse.
Old 04-26-19, 02:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

This season has been on for months and there are still 16 people in the game sitting around at tribal. It feels like it is going nowhere and taking forever to get there. Now throw in how many idols and secret advantages floating around over the course of the season? They have actually started putting reminders on the screen during interviews to remind the audience who has what which tells me that even production knows this has become a chore to follow.

And who the heck are half those people on EoE? Imagine if the two that bailed out had stuck around what a total mess it would be. Other than those two, quite literally every single person who started on day 1 can still win and it appears that will not change yet again next week. This version of exile island needs to get put back on the shelf ASAP.
Old 04-26-19, 06:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

They need some kind of double elimination round at this point...a challenge to determine the remaining members of the jury, then a challenge to see who gets back into the game. At some point, they're going to have to tell players if they get eliminated they WON'T get a second chance...is the final person voted out going to get a chance to jump back in? And then will they get voted out AGAIN or will someone else get voted out and get the chance to jump back in?

If Devens is voted out a second time, should he even be allowed to go back to EOE? So many problems with it.
Old 04-26-19, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts

I think EoE exists just so players voted out can be "Reem"ed.

Otherwise, I'm not really sure where they're going with all of this.
Old 04-26-19, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts

Man there are some bland players left. Gavin, Vic and Julie are totally nondescript and dull and none have anything interesting on their resume. If that's the final 3 in this game (and it very well could be), this season will be a total waste.
Old 04-26-19, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 116 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
Man there are some bland players left. Gavin, Vic and Julie are totally nondescript and dull and none have anything interesting on their resume. If that's the final 3 in this game (and it very well could be), this season will be a total waste.
Vic snowed Aubry and got her to sit on her idol........and was able to deflect the target to Wendy during the 2 tribes go to council together twist. Add to that she has flopped btwn voting groups without getting a Sneaky or Rat Rep like Ron. She seems to be playing a pretty solid game even if she is being ignored by the edit,if a had to guess she is a finale boot and she pop up's as THREAT in players confessionals and who's boot is rushed through similiar to Brett in Samora or that one girl last year
Old 05-02-19, 06:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Devens is at least making this season entertaining, although once again, the producers seem to "plant" idols for their favorite player at exactly the time they need one. But that's par for the course the last dozen seasons or so....
Old 05-02-19, 09:12 AM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Devens is at least making this season entertaining, although once again, the producers seem to "plant" idols for their favorite player at exactly the time they need one. But that's par for the course the last dozen seasons or so....
Yup, I agree... but since he’s my player this time around, I’ll take it.
Old 05-02-19, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

Devens is clearly the guy they want to win... so they might as just end it now and give him the $1M (unless Joe can be redeemed).
Old 05-02-19, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

I didn't know that Ron Clark is somewhat famous and that Matthew Perry played him in a TV movie.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ron_Clark_(teacher)
Old 05-02-19, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I was just coming to post something about that. It is a failure in the show this year that we didn't really learn anything about Ron other than he seemed like an interesting guy.

EoE makes everything moot, but unless they somehow "Ben" Rick Devins into the final it's hard to not imagine a final of some combination of Gavin, Aurora, Lauren, and Victoria.
Old 05-02-19, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Does EoE end next week? There's only one regular episode and then the finale. It would be crazy if only 2 players have been completely eliminated going into the finale.
Old 05-02-19, 10:38 AM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts

Does EoE end next week? There's only one regular episode and then the finale. It would be crazy if only 2 players have been completely eliminated going into the finale.
According to Survivor (US) (a Titles & Air Dates Guide), s38e12 is slated for May 8th and s38e13 (the 2-hour finale) is scheduled for May 15th with s38e14 (the reunion show) immediately afterwards.

I think that there will be one more shot of someone coming back into the game, but other than that, they are just going to have a giant jury that knows an awful lot about the Final 3. Should make for an interesting Final Tribal Council.

By the way, next week's episode is titled
Spoiler:
"Idol or Bust."

Last edited by Goldberg74; 05-02-19 at 10:10 PM.
Old 05-02-19, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know everybody still in the game was already going to vote him out as soon as they could, but the jury's open cheering for him is really killing any shot Devens had at getting people to work with him.
Old 05-02-19, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

I didn't know that Ron Clark is somewhat famous and that Matthew Perry played him in a TV movie.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ron_Clark_(teacher)
It's pathetic that we didn't learn this stuff about Ron. He's a real life difference-maker and I'm bummed to see him voted out now.
Old 05-02-19, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Goldberg74
According to Survivor (US) (a Titles & Air Dates Guide), s38e12 (a 2-hour ep) is slated for May 8th[/spoiler]
That link shows the finale episode being 2-hours, not next week's episode. Maybe they updated it. Next week looks to be a regular 1 hour episode.
Old 05-02-19, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob V
It's pathetic that we didn't learn this stuff about Ron. He's a real life difference-maker and I'm bummed to see him voted out now.
Yeah, he's a big deal in North Carolina. My sister told me about him in advance. I thought recent seasons were just really bad casting but it's clear they just waste people/do a lousy job giving backstory and making us care.
Old 05-02-19, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I love that they made the loved ones participate in the challenge again. Especially a challenge that involves one loved one throwing buckets of water at the other

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.