DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Whiskey Cavalier (ABC) -- S: Lauren Cohan, Scott Foley -- Premieres 2/24/19 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/646914-whiskey-cavalier-abc-s-lauren-cohan-scott-foley-premieres-2-24-19-a.html)

DJariya 02-24-19 05:35 PM

Whiskey Cavalier (ABC) -- S: Lauren Cohan, Scott Foley -- Premieres 2/24/19

https://i.postimg.cc/j2ZKqwQm/150567-0286-FULL.jpg

"Pilot" - Following an emotional breakup, tough but tender FBI super-agent Will Chase (code name: "Whiskey Cavalier") is assigned to work with badass CIA operative Frankie Trowbridge (code name: "Fiery Tribune"). Together, they must lead an inter-agency team of flawed, funny and heroic spies who periodically save the world - and each other - while navigating the rocky roads of friendship, romance and office politics, on the season premiere of "Whiskey Cavalier," airing WEDNESDAY, FEB. 27 (10:00-11:00 p.m. EST), on The ABC Television Network, streaming and on demand.

As previously announced, ABC will showcase a special sneak preview of the highly anticipated, high-octane dramedy on Oscar Sunday, FEB. 24, in advance of the series premiere.

"Whiskey Cavalier" stars Scott Foley as Will Chase, Lauren Cohan as Frankie Trowbridge, Ana Ortiz as Susan Sampson, Tyler James Williams as Edgar Standish, Vir Das as Jai Datta and Josh Hopkins as Ray Prince.

Guest stars include Dylan Walsh as Alex Ollerman and Penelope Rose Leveque as Gigi Debrosse.

"Pilot" was written by David Hemingson and directed by Peter Atencio.

"Whiskey Cavalier" is a Warner Bros. Television production from writer/executive producer David Hemingson and executive producers Bill Lawrence and Jeff Ingold (Doozer Productions). Peter Atencio serves as executive producer and is director on the pilot, and Scott Foley is a producer on the series.

Premieres tonight at approximately 11:35pm ET after the Oscars. I'm sure none of you will be watching live on the East coast.

Will re-air Wednesday at 10pm.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/QQCoXOKZJiE" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/hC-3l3jdIXQ" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

TGM 02-24-19 05:40 PM

Re: Whiskey Cavalier (ABC) -- S: Lauren Cohan, Scott Foley -- Premieres 2/24/19

seems stupid to premiere it this way.

DJariya 02-24-19 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by TGM (Post 13506179)
seems stupid to premiere it this way.

They want to see how many stay awake and watch it live right after the Oscars, which should get decent viewership. It's like networks that air new shows after big sporting events.

I know most on a Sunday night can't stay up that late, so it will get DVR'd or will get watched Wednesday night instead.

OldBoy 02-24-19 05:56 PM

doesn't sound promising...RT. still early of course and i like leads so i will record Wed premiere...

Count Dooku 02-24-19 06:10 PM

There is an entire time zone of the US where the Oscars conclude by 9pm. For the rest of the country, the promotion during the Oscars will create awareness, and the pilot is being rerun on Wednesday night after all new comedies.

Even if just 20 million people watch the Oscars this year, ABC needs to use that audience for something. Maybe ABC has high hopes for this series since they had so much success with Castle.

I'll check this out, especially for Lauren Cohan. This kind of thing isn't really my bag, but I thought that Take Two show was okay.

Question: Cohan's character is named Frankie. When will the necessity of giving action-y females these boys' names end? It is so fucking tired!

majorjoe23 02-25-19 12:05 AM

Wait, his name is “Will Chase,” but “Whiskey Cavalier” is his code name? “Whiskey Chaser” was right freaking there!

davidh777 02-25-19 01:11 AM

The ads were good and I like Cohan so I watched the plot and found it pretty entertaining. I might watch some more, but the ads make it look like a Mission of the Week show rather than a serial, which would make it easier to watch here and there.

Shannon Nutt 02-27-19 06:25 AM

I DVR'd the pilot (it's available on Hulu as well) and liked it a lot - series shows promise. Kind of a cross between Mission: Impossible and Scorpion.

DJariya 02-28-19 01:06 PM

Not bad. Thought it was fun and had a light tone. I agree it has some Mission Impossible in it, but the Foley and Cohan interactions remind me of Mr. and Mrs. Smith.

I did chuckle in the opening with Foley singing Total Eclipse of the Heart and watching Romantic movie DVDs.

JimRochester 03-08-19 09:44 AM

This was interesting enough I'll check out this week's episode.

Question on something I must have missed

Spoiler:
the explosive that looked like a tampon. Why did she need it to look like a tampon? Was there a direct reference to her needing a new one that I somehow missed?

Superman07 03-08-19 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by JimRochester (Post 13512875)
This was interesting enough I'll check out this week's episode.

Question on something I must have missed

Spoiler:
the explosive that looked like a tampon. Why did she need it to look like a tampon? Was there a direct reference to her needing a new one that I somehow missed?

i don’t think so. When her handler brought her new supplies in Germany they were in there on top of the suit case. Nothing was said about them though.

TGM 03-08-19 04:46 PM

made it thru 10 mins of ep 2 and then stopped. realized I wasn't paying attention. out.

PhantomStranger 03-08-19 05:04 PM

It's basically a light spy procedural done in the usual ABC formula aimed at their target demo. I've always liked Foley. Never thought much of Cohan on The Walking Dead, she appears to be the central protagonist on Whiskey Cavalier.

Count Dooku 03-08-19 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger (Post 13513183)
It's basically a light spy procedural done in the usual ABC formula aimed at their target demo. I've always liked Foley. Never thought much of Cohan on The Walking Dead, she appears to be the central protagonist on Whiskey Cavalier.

Whiskey Cavalier is Foley's code name and, while things may balance out, the first two episodes have his character in prominence.

Cellar Door 03-10-19 08:10 PM

I just watched the first two episodes and enjoyed them for light entertainment. The premise and plot contrivances are silly, but the chemistry of the actors is pretty good. I've been a fan of Lauren Cohan since Chuck, and Scott Foley since The Unit, so maybe I'm predisposed to like this. I will say the profiler's psychoanalysis schtick is already getting old.

I am interested to see how much this remains an episodic show, or how soon they will start to introduce more 'serial' elements and follow long story arcs.

whotony 03-23-19 06:33 PM

How long before Christa Miller shows up.

I like the lead Guy and Everybody Hates Chris guy and Cougar Town guy, Just binged the first 4 eps and it's so light that I don't feel like anything of substance happened in the first 4 shows.

JeffTheAlpaca 03-23-19 07:04 PM

If anyone cares Vir Das is a comedian

whotony 03-23-19 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by Cellar Door (Post 13513955)
I just watched the first two episodes and enjoyed them for light entertainment. The premise and plot contrivances are silly, but the chemistry of the actors is pretty good. I've been a fan of Lauren Cohan since Chuck, and Scott Foley since The Unit, so maybe I'm predisposed to like this. I will say the profiler's psychoanalysis schtick is already getting old.

I am interested to see how much this remains an episodic show, or how soon they will start to introduce more 'serial' elements and follow long story arcs.

I watched four eps in a row and had no idea she was a Profiler until she was having her pitty party with CougarTown guy.

Also so these are the worst spys ever.
espeically every single male.
Jay is just a jackhole and every other guy on the show can’t keep their focus on any spy stuff while any woman also happens to be near them.

Superman07 03-24-19 07:11 AM

We’re definitely enjoying this. Yes it’s a light procedural, but it’s fun and the cast work really well together.

i wonder how much they’re banking on an international audience with the added expense of filming on location. Reminds me of Covert Affairs in that regard.

Superman07 04-01-19 06:28 PM

Anybody still watching this? We find ourselves enjoying this more and more each week. Foley and Cohan have great chemistry, and the team continues to jell.

Not sure what’s up with the Jay storyline. The shrink of all people seem too quick to let him back in, as she knows what happened with Will. Frankie continues to have none of it....all while just wanting some ice cream. :)

Shannon Nutt 04-02-19 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by Superman07 (Post 13526352)
Anybody still watching this? We find ourselves enjoying this more and more each week. Foley and Cohan have great chemistry, and the team continues to jell.

Not sure what’s up with the Jay storyline. The shrink of all people seem too quick to let him back in, as she knows what happened with Will. Frankie continues to have none of it....all while just wanting some ice cream. :)

I haven't seen the most recent one yet, but I'm still watching. The ratings keep dipping each week, so it's unlikely to be renewed, given that this is a Warner Bros. show and not owned by Disney/ABC.

JimRochester 04-02-19 02:01 PM

We're still watching. Not an original premise but entertaining enough to hold our interest for now.

Superman07 04-19-19 06:47 AM

Episode from this past week was the best to date!

The direction and outside scenery alone were really great. I particularly liked the snow covered driving sequence.

The holiday non-holiday was a great theme too. Not only did it allow them a holiday episode not knowing when the show would actually air, but it also allowed the team to bond more.

The greatest part was the return of a nemesis from one of the teams past, while putting a new wrinkle on a recently emerged nemesis.
Spoiler:
goodbye Todd!!
It really did test the team in new ways.

I will say I’m still very suspect of the MI-6 agent. My theory is she was the shooter/driver, and she may even be in a relationship with
Spoiler:
Will’s old boss!

Dr. DVD 04-19-19 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt (Post 13526507)
I haven't seen the most recent one yet, but I'm still watching. The ratings keep dipping each week, so it's unlikely to be renewed, given that this is a Warner Bros. show and not owned by Disney/ABC.

Not belonging to Disney seems like it's a bigger handicap than low ratings these days. How does it do On-Demand and with Hulu? I just hope if it gets cancelled Cohan doesn't go back to TWD. She's talented and will likely not have much to do upon returning , not to mention that series is also a sinking ship.

Deftones 04-19-19 11:03 AM

My wife and I are enjoying this. The cast has really good chemistry. I know it'll probably get cancelled, but we'll enjoy the ride until it's done.