DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   True Detective (S3E08) -- Season Finale -- "Now Am Found" -- 2/24/19 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/646912-true-detective-s3e08-season-finale-now-am-found-2-24-19-a.html)

DJariya 02-24-19 05:24 PM

True Detective (S3E08) -- Season Finale -- "Now Am Found" -- 2/24/19

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...c3e1e26fae.jpg

Season 3, episode 8: “Now Am Found” (season finale)

Debut date: SUNDAY, FEB. 24 (9:00-10:00 p.m. ET/PT)

Wayne (Mahershala Ali) struggles to hold on to his memories, and his grip on reality, as the truth behind the Purcell case is finally revealed.

Written by Nic Pizzolatto; directed by Daniel Sackheim.

Last episode of this version of the series. Nic Pizzalatto says he has an idea for a potential 4th season. But HBO has yet to officially order it.

https://www.bustle.com/p/will-true-d...or-it-15962846

DVD Polizei 02-24-19 09:49 PM

re: True Detective (S3E08) -- Season Finale -- "Now Am Found" -- 2/24/19

Ridiculous and predictable ending. This isn't a fucking fairy tale, Nic. I'll pass on Season 4 if we're going to get some build-up to endings I've watched over and over and over. S1 should be a blueprint...not an exception. Because of the ending, there was really no reason to include that newspaper clip of S1's detectives. Seems like it was bait to make people watch more episodes. Great acting...terrible and even cautious--writing. Have to wonder why.

Nefarious 02-25-19 07:36 AM

I guess I missed the thread where you predicted that she ended up marrying a kid from elementary school after getting the assistance of some nuns to cover up her death. Last thread you predicted Amelia, of all people, should be revealed as the true villain. Somehow that seemed plausible despite the fact she had doggedly investigated the case and written a book about it in the years since. That's a bad criminal who spends that much time trying to piece together what happened to a crime she committed.

This season was very good and the production & acting were top notch. In the end you get reality, an accident that has powerful people involved trying to cover it up. They do it poorly enough that there are evidence trails but have enough powerful allies and commonplace incompetence to be able to ultimately bury it. The show made it clear in episode 5 who was involved, we just didn't know why, how, etc.

This didn't have the tension of Rust running into Carcosa but it wasn't a bad season or poorly written by any stretch.

actionjackson29 02-25-19 09:16 AM

I was ready to be disappointed by this but ultimately I think it was probably better than season 1. I think this ends up winning multiple awards.

E Unit 02-25-19 09:34 AM

No way is this season better than 1, although it's miles above 2.

DVD Polizei 02-25-19 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by Nefarious (Post 13506517)
I guess I missed the thread where you predicted that she ended up marrying a kid from elementary school after getting the assistance of some nuns to cover up her death. Last thread you predicted Amelia, of all people, should be revealed as the true villain. Somehow that seemed plausible despite the fact she had doggedly investigated the case and written a book about it in the years since. That's a bad criminal who spends that much time trying to piece together what happened to a crime she committed.

This season was very good and the production & acting were top notch. In the end you get reality, an accident that has powerful people involved trying to cover it up. They do it poorly enough that there are evidence trails but have enough powerful allies and commonplace incompetence to be able to ultimately bury it. The show made it clear in episode 5 who was involved, we just didn't know why, how, etc.

This didn't have the tension of Rust running into Carcosa but it wasn't a bad season or poorly written by any stretch.

In the beginning...it seemed to be an actual child abduction mysyery...then we find out a group of nuns protected a girl from a looney as fuck wealthy wife? Please. Still don't know for sure even then as that ride Wayne takes in those black cars reveals more people involved. Why. The writing takes serious turns after 3 or 4 episodes. Ep 8 was just an extended episode tying up loose ends quickly from a one-eyed man telling a few geezers what really happened.

Just way too much conspiracy for a local yokie town and a screwed up wife who lost her kid (and even that incident raises questions but never answered). No friggin' way so much resistance would happen on a PD force unless there were multiple incidents of the wife taking kids from families--which should have been explored but wasn't, and a successive accumulation of people covering up for each other which grew over time.

But nope. Looney wifie takes kid, other kid hits head on rock (really?)...one-eyed servant spills the beans decades later.

starseed1981 02-25-19 12:42 PM

Awesome ending. Really enjoyed it and this season. Bring on season 4.

Coral 02-25-19 02:49 PM

The ending was mostly predictable.

Didn't know the guy would be Julie's childhood friend, but the whole kid being Julies was obvious - especially with the name being "Lucy".
I knew Hays would forget at the worst time. You figure he would write down his epiphany in case he forgets it.

Didn't like the whole dropping the book and having it be open on the exact page that Hays reads and comes up with his discovery. That's just lazy writing.

rw2516 02-25-19 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei (Post 13506598)
.one-eyed servant spills the beans decades later.

No he didn't.
They worked on this case off and on for 35 years.
1980. Case is solved.
Oops! Guess it wasn't.
1990. Case is solved again.
Oops! Guess it wasn't.
2015. They completely fuck up a third time by thinking the case is solved when they see the grave.
Oops! Guess it wasn't.
Hayes finally solves the case when he finds her alive but has a brain fart and is not aware that he has finally solved the case. The irony that after all the friction between Hayes and his wife over their twin obsessions with the case, she provides the clue that solves it. The mystery wasn't who did what and when. The mystery was where is she.

Bill Needle 02-25-19 04:38 PM

Soo...the conspirators were willing to murder people to keep things covered up, but they let the one-eyed black dude who knows everything wander around the state asking questions and handing out pictures?

And after kidnapping and imprisoning a little girl for years, you leave the room/cell untouched as a shrine to her abduction once she escapes?

Coral 02-25-19 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by Bill Needle (Post 13506846)
Soo...the conspirators were willing to murder people to keep things covered up, but they let the one-eyed black dude who knows everything wander around the state asking questions and handing out pictures?

And after kidnapping and imprisoning a little girl for years, you leave the room/cell untouched as a shrine to her abduction once she escapes?

:shrug: I find it helps to ignore the gaping plot holes.

I liked Ali's performance in this, but like actors who slip in and out of accents - I found him slipping in and out of "old man" mode. He'll move and walk slowly one minute, and then he'll get in and out of car with the ease of a young man. It's like he'll occasionally forget he's playing an old man.

andicus 02-26-19 08:26 AM

In case anyone else was wondering what happened to Amelia:

Creator Nic Pizzolatto explained that Amelia's fate was cut for time. But he also revealed what happened to her:

Amelia and Wayne living their lives in 2013, planning and extended vacation around the world. It culminated in Amelia's death (peaceful, but sudden, in her sleep). Nothing nefarious, just sad.

Another question fans had after the finale was if this death was somehow what caused the distance between Hays and his daughter. Pizzolatto answered this one, too, in the same comment:Extended scene with Wayne and his daughter, Becca, indicating what her life is like, that she and Wayne don't have any problem other than neither of them is good at reaching out (Amelia was the parent who always called every week), and they've both been lonely without the other.

Red Dog 02-26-19 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by Coral (Post 13506794)
The ending was mostly predictable.

Didn't know the guy would be Julie's childhood friend, but the whole kid being Julies was obvious - especially with the name being "Lucy".
I knew Hays would forget at the worst time. You figure he would write down his epiphany in case he forgets it.

Didn't like the whole dropping the book and having it be open on the exact page that Hays reads and comes up with his discovery. That's just lazy writing.

I didn't think it was predictable at all. :shrug:

But the book thing was totally contrived and made me -rolleyes- .

A very entertaining season overall IMO.

Deftones 02-26-19 09:35 AM

I was sort of mad at the ending, but then I realized this series always seems to be about the journey and not the destination. With that in mind, I thought it was excellent. Not quite up there with S1, but pretty close.

mphtrilogy 02-26-19 09:57 AM

I liked the season overall, but didn't love the last episode, maybe it was the 90 minute run tmie and the couple of head fakes, but I felt like it didn't hold a lot of suspense and they telegraphed quite a few moves.. but overall the season was good.

Bill Needle 02-26-19 12:40 PM

I think predictable is being mistaken for the fact that there wasn't much revealed in the finale that wasn't already pretty well established. That the girl was still alive and her death was faked by the nuns was really the only "twist" in the finale. Everything else was more or less laid out in previous episodes. For instance, we already knew she was still alive past 1990 and ended up at the convent at some point. We only didn't know how she left it.

I really liked the scene where Wayne went to the house to see her and lost his sense of why he was there. It was interesting trying to figure out if it was real or just an excuse to speak with her. In the end it seems his fugue state was likely real, though perhaps there was some recognition going on while he was sipping the water which allowed him to let go once he was back home.

I can cut some slack on the ghost wife and the book opening to the exactly right page as his mind creating a scene that made sense out of the memory that was triggered. He had already read the book and that passage. I presume it came back to him and this vision was his mind (in its current functional state) making sense out of it and putting the piece into place. Did the book pop open on the correct page all by itself? Probably no more than his dead wife was in the room laying out what happened to him. Both things were a construct of his mind.

asianxcore 02-26-19 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by Coral (Post 13506794)

Things like that made some parts of the Season Finale feel very Scooby-Doo-ish.

Overall, I really enjoyed this Season. Fantastic performances from Ali & Dorff. Still put Season 1 above this one though.

nasesco417 02-27-19 07:48 AM

There should have never been a call back to the first season. There was no payoff associated with it and the original premise of the series was that each season would stand alone. This almost veered into shared universe territory. I also agree that the writing was a bit lazy and the season probably would have benefited from being 10 episodes long to flesh out the story a bit.

melasnus 02-27-19 11:03 AM

Stupid question:
Is this season worth a watch?
Loved Matthew and Woody in S1; hated S2.
Been a fan of Ali since I first seen him in Luke Cage.

DVD Polizei 02-27-19 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by nasesco417 (Post 13507608)
There should have never been a call back to the first season. There was no payoff associated with it and the original premise of the series was that each season would stand alone. This almost veered into shared universe territory. I also agree that the writing was a bit lazy and the season probably would have benefited from being 10 episodes long to flesh out the story a bit.

I agree with you. The acting was SPECTACULAR. Roland's scene in the bar and later with the dog, now that was a unique set of events. Situational acting with Ali was outstanding as well. The only issue with me was the writing. Directing was perfect, and brought out everything that needed to be known from the writer.

melasnus 02-27-19 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei (Post 13507746)
The only issue with me was the writing.

Same problem with S1 & S2.
OK, you've answered my question. ;)

Noonan 02-27-19 03:16 PM

Anyone care to share (with spoiler tags if needed) the basics of the story? I watched episode 1 (and maybe 2) before I started letting them pile up on the DVR. I doubt I'll go back and watch them at this point. I saw him find the boy's body then learn in the middle timeline that the girl was still alive. I think that may have all been ep1?

rw2516 02-27-19 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by Bill Needle (Post 13507221)

I really liked the scene where Wayne went to the house to see her and lost his sense of why he was there. It was interesting trying to figure out if it was real or just an excuse to speak with her. In the end it seems his fugue state was likely real, though perhaps there was some recognition going on while he was sipping the water which allowed him to let go once he was back home.

He definitely recognized and knew he had found her. Finding her was the only thing keeping him in reality. Once he found her he could let go. He's totally gone now, sitting on the porch all day thinking he's in Vietnam.
Perhaps for him that's a happy ending.
Roland got his happy ending.
All he ever wanted was to have a family. He felt for the dad because he was a guy who had everything Roland ever wanted and had lost it. Old man Roland got his family, all his dogs,. In the end he got the family he always wanted, Wayne and his kids and grandkids.

Decker 02-27-19 11:21 PM

I liked this season a fair amount and was pretty satisfied with the ending -- especially when you compare it to Colin Farrell searching for cellular service in the Redwood forest. I liked the twist with Julie and was okay with his confusion at that moment. It should be noted that his son hung onto the address so maybe the thread doesn't end there. Loved the relationship between Hayes and Roland. It felt real and earned.
I just read a recap that states that Hayes ended up working security at the same University that Amelia taught. I guess I must have missed that.

For all the money and power Hoyt had, he was just okay with never really knowing what happened to Harris James and never sought revenge?

Rob V 02-28-19 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by Deftones (Post 13507116)
I was sort of mad at the ending, but then I realized this series always seems to be about the journey and not the destination. With that in mind, I thought it was excellent. Not quite up there with S1, but pretty close.

My thoughts exactly. This story was less about the abduction and more about the relationships with Hays and his wife, kids and partner. Now that said, I don't know if that should be the intent of the show but with such an unusual ending, It occurred to me that way. I, for one, am glad it wasn't around pedophilia or trafficking...