DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   The Walking Dead (S9E10) -- "Omega" -- 2/17/19 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/646843-walking-dead-s9e10-omega-2-17-19-a.html)

DJariya 02-17-19 06:04 PM

The Walking Dead (S9E10) -- "Omega" -- 2/17/19

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...6e36eea44b.jpg

"The Walking Dead" season nine continues on Sunday, February 17th at 9:00 p.m. ET/PT. On the all-new episode, "Omega," a new arrival at the Hilltop opens up about the leader of a group of mask-wearing savages who call themselves The Whisperers. A search party sets out on a daring mission to find two missing friends. The episode is written by Channing Powell and directed by David Boyd.

Episode 10 of 16

TGM 02-17-19 07:03 PM

Re: The Walking Dead (S9E10) -- "Omega" -- 2/17/19

Hate watching as usual, although I found myself enjoying last weeks episode more than any in years.

Curious, is there any character remaining that you actually still care about? over the years it was Shane, Rick, Glenn, Maggie, Hershel, Abraham, Darrel and Carol. Now... I don't really care about any of them, perhaps slightly with the guy played by Ross Marquand, but I guess since I don't even know his name I'm not too attached.

It's amazing how they derailed this show. It rivals Heroes S2 in that regard.

VinVega 02-17-19 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by TGM (Post 13502336)
Curious, is there any character remaining that you actually still care about?

I think that's why I'm waning on this show. I just don't care about the characters anymore. It's been such a habit to watch this show on Sundays, I guess I'm still stuck in the habit.

Coral 02-18-19 12:54 AM

Holy fuck was this episode hard to sit through.

You know you're in trouble when the only character worth a shit in the episode is Daryl. Sadly, including every remaining character to the episode wouldn't add much else anyway..
I care nothing about the new group they brought in a few episodes back.

Way too much backstory on new characters we were just introduced to (ie. Alpha). Meanwhile Negan's been a huge part of the show for the last 3 seasons, and I don't remember getting much of a backstory on him.

Samantha Morton is way too good for this show. She needs major roles in quality films.

I have to believe the ratings are going to tank harder and faster than ever. Writing/storyline was turning viewers off, but with the absence of many major characters, there's just very little for them to cling to.

Bill Needle 02-18-19 03:08 AM

Curious, is there any character remaining that you actually still care about?

Darrel and Carol, and to a much lesser extent, King and Jerry.

This is why I can't understand the decision to plot armor so many useless characters since so few of them would be genuinely missed. Instead they keep propping up certain characters and force feeding them to the audience through some horribly misguided belief that people want to see or hear from them.

The best thing this show ever had going for it was the belief (dread) as a viewer that anything could happen at any time...that you better not miss a scene, let alone an episode. But they threw that all away many season ago once they started believing their own hype and fell into a very, very predictable pattern.

And this is what makes it difficult to care about characters you aren't already invested in: There is little or nothing at stake the vast majority of the time. There are virtually no consequences for multitudes of illogical decisions. Characters consistently escape punishment for their many acts of stupidity. Not only does this make it difficult to care about them, but in fact you grow to resent them. Example: Henry, that odious little shit.

Another example from this episode: A group of characters decide to go looking for their missing friend in the middle of the night -- an idea so idiotic that even they realize it within a few minutes. So what are we supposed to think about them other than they are moronic clowns that only by some unknown miracle are they still alive in this universe?

dom56 02-18-19 09:08 AM

I watch Nadia Hiker who played Magna on The Talking Dead and she look and sound like Lady Gaga.

VinVega 02-18-19 01:45 PM

I'm really not paying attention. Saw some of Talking Dead and two of the women from the new group are gay and in a relationship? Hell if I knew. And the black character with the crew cut, I though she was a teenaged boy. Apologies, but I'm on my phone half the time when the show is on.

Jason 02-18-19 04:24 PM

When Lydia said she was stupid and deserved to die, well sir, that was the most self-aware thing a character has ever said on this show.

andicus 02-18-19 07:01 PM

Fucking Henry... I never thought a character would make me long for the days of Carl.

I was hoping the whole 'search' party that went out would get eaten. I knew it wouldn't happen, but you have to have something to hope for, in this show.

movieguru 02-19-19 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by VinVega (Post 13502413)
I think that's why I'm waning on this show. I just don't care about the characters anymore. It's been such a habit to watch this show on Sundays, I guess I'm still stuck in the habit.

There's still a few original characters left. But originally the big appeal of a show like this is no one is safe, so you never know what to expect. The most interesting part of this show now will be the producers trying to turn Negan into an anti-hero, like what Marvel did with Venom.

bralph 02-19-19 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by VinVega (Post 13502658)
And the black character with the crew cut, I though she was a teenaged boy.

Same! When the other character (no idea any of their names) said she was staying with her sister, it was the most surprising thing that had happened in three seasons... :lol:

Koby 02-19-19 04:54 PM

Everyone I've talked with thought that one character was a boy until this episode.

Jason 02-19-19 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by Koby (Post 13503339)
Everyone I've talked with thought that one character was a boy until this episode.

Might be a ham-fisted attempt to put a transgender character in the show?

DVD Polizei 02-20-19 05:36 AM

The series really is a zombie. It won't die.

JZ1276 02-20-19 10:50 PM

Curious, is there any character remaining that you actually still care about? over the years it was Shane, Rick, Glenn, Maggie, Hershel, Abraham, Darrel and Carol. Now... I don't really care about any of them, perhaps slightly with the guy played by Ross Marquand, but I guess since I don't even know his name I'm not too attached..

Carol, Daryl & Michonne.

...and wow, Brett Butler got old.

JoeySeven 02-24-19 07:55 PM

Holy fuck was this episode hard to sit through.
Agree
I thought I would like the The Whisperers,but kind of blah for me so far.The way alpha looks and talks makes me laugh.
I hope dog makes it,really screw the rest.

mhg83 10-17-22 12:23 AM

With how many flashbacks we get for two brand new characters Negan better get a whole freaking episode of flashback origin story !