DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   TV shows you are surprised do not have a cult following (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/646818-tv-shows-you-surprised-do-not-have-cult-following.html)

robin2099 02-15-19 06:59 AM

TV shows you are surprised do not have a cult following

Super Force was a TV series a briefly remember watching as a kid which I found was out on DVD accidentally. The thing that surprised me though is that until I found this on DVD not a single trace of this show could be found. No episodes were on YouTube, no clips etc. This got me thinking of other shows which seem like they should have a cult following but really don't. Others I can think of are:

Saved by the Bell: The New Class: It ran for longer than SBTB at 7 years but while the original is still fondly remembered, no on seems to give a shit about this show at all. Even people who grew up with it.

Human Target: Both versions. The Rick Springfield one has never been seen and the reboot, despite being a ridiculously fun show just seems to be forgotten.

M.A.N.T.I.S: The first super hero show to focus on an African American as the hero and produced by Sam Hamm and Sam Raimi. Feels like it should be more well remembered.

Captain Power and the Soldiers of the Future: The toys are more remembered than the show for some reason. But with J. Michael Straczynski and Larry Ditillio writing, and a rather serious plot it seems like it should have more fans.

Freddy's Nightmares: The show isn't shown in syndication anywhere and was never released on DVD, despite the fact that it featured Robert Englund as Freddy again, and with the controversy it caused, you would assume it would have more staying power than it has.

morriscroy 02-15-19 07:24 AM

Re: TV shows you are surprised do not have a cult following

The short lived Fast TImes at Ridgemont High tv show.

Bluelitespecial 02-15-19 08:39 AM

Men Behaving Badly starring Rob Schneider.

Noonan 02-15-19 08:41 AM

I'll see your SBTB New Class and raise you SBTB College Years.

fujishig 02-15-19 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by Noonan (Post 13501206)
I'll see your SBTB New Class and raise you SBTB College Years.

SBTB College years should have a cult following? Nah, I can't imagine it wouldn't completely overlap with SBTB fandom.

New Class did run longer but it changed its cast up so much that I don't think people got as invested. Plus they produced a metric ton of those shows at the time: California Dreams, City Guys, Hang Time, One World, etc. It's kind of like the current crop of Disney channel shows, a lot don't get remembered because there are always new ones. Or even 80s cartoons, there were just sooo many that if I reminded you that there was, say, a cartoon series based on a living Rubiks Cube, you probably remember it, but it would otherwise remain forgotten.

I'll agree with Captain Power, though because it had a toyline (that interacted with the show) I'm sure there's a cult following, even if it's small.

starseed1981 02-15-19 09:29 AM

Harper's Island, Mr. Selfridge, Love, Red Oaks and The Knick all come to mind. Especially The Knick.

Banshee has one but it should be bigger. Same thing with Hannibal & Penny Dreadful.

DWilson 02-15-19 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by robin2099 (Post 13501185)

Human Target: Both versions. The Rick Springfield one has never been seen and the reboot, despite being a ridiculously fun show just seems to be forgotten.

The Mark Valley "Target" has the problem of a strong first season and second season that was "restructured" and generally hated by fans.

Navinabob 02-15-19 10:07 AM

Yeah... the 2nd season was a nightmare. No clue what they were thinking. I'm still bitter about how they mangled that show.

cleaver 02-15-19 10:16 AM

Does Venture Bros have a cult following? Also Mr Pickles.

big e 02-15-19 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by robin2099 (Post 13501185)
Saved by the Bell: The New Class: It ran for longer than SBTB at 7 years but while the original is still fondly remembered, no on seems to give a shit about this show at all. Even people who grew up with it.

That ran for 7 years? I thought it was on for like 3 seasons in the mid 90s. Well, you learn something new every day. Funny you mention Freddy's Nightmares. After hearing about that show for years, I caught a couple episodes on El Ray about a year and a half ago and, honestly, I thought it sucked. The acting was terrible, the production values looked super cheap, it looked like it was shot on VHS; just all-around the show looked and felt super low-budget, like a really bad fan movie. Even though Robert Englund was in it, you never really saw Freddy, except as a darkened silhouette. Even in the first episode, which serves as a prequel to the first movie (for those not in the know), they didn't really show Freddy, which made me wonder if Robert Englund was actually there or if there was a stand-in actor and Englund was just doing the dubbing.

PhantomStranger 02-15-19 03:37 PM

The animated Tick series. It's still the best Tick in any medium, including the original comic books. It predates the superhero craze of the past decade and had an erratic schedule when it first aired on Fox in the 1990s. Disney controls the property in North America and they've deepsixed it into their vaults. I have a hunch if some other company owned it, the show would still be shown somewhere.

fujishig 02-15-19 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger (Post 13501500)
The animated Tick series. It's still the best Tick in any medium, including the original comic books. It predates the superhero craze of the past decade and had an erratic schedule when it first aired on Fox in the 1990s. Disney controls the property in North America and they've deepsixed it into their vaults. I have a hunch if some other company owned it, the show would still be shown somewhere.

That definitely has a cult following, unless I misunderstand the term or something. You know what got forgotten? Big Guy and Rusty the Boy Robot. There's actually a ton of great cartoons that are forgotten, though ,mainly because there were so many cartoons and they were for the large part disposable entertainment for kids. Like Mighty Mouse: the New Adventures, which brought back all the old Terrytoons characters.

There's a newish PBS cartoon by the guy who did Rocko's Modern Life and it was instantly recognizable to me. Though I think even Rocko has a cult following.

devilshalo 02-15-19 03:59 PM

Is there still a following for Friday the 13th the series? It seemed to have one for a while and then it fizzled out. Robey :hump:

Decker 02-15-19 06:08 PM

Considering how immensely popular True Crime docuseries have become, I was a little surprised that Trial & Error didn't catch on a little more. It was friggin hilarious and really got the genre right while still making for a clever satire of it as well.

mrhan 02-15-19 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by fujishig (Post 13501508)
You know what got forgotten? Big Guy and Rusty the Boy Robot.

Forgot about that one. I still have the comic books.

MysterioMan007 02-16-19 08:18 AM

Life...the cop show with Damien Lewis and Sarah Shahi. It's probably one of my favorite all-time shows, but no one ever mentions it.

Bill Needle 02-16-19 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by fujishig (Post 13501508)
That definitely has a cult following, unless I misunderstand the term or something.

Yeah, that there is a cult following is about the only thing I know about The Tick.

cowtown 02-16-19 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by MysterioMan007 (Post 13501740)
Life...the cop show with Damien Lewis and Sarah Shahi. It's probably one of my favorite all-time shows, but no one ever mentions it.

Loved that show. It was very unique for its time.

LorenzoL 02-17-19 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by MysterioMan007 (Post 13501740)

Originally Posted by cowtown (Post 13501839)
Loved that show. It was very unique for its time.

I used to love this show. First time that I saw Sarah Shahi in anything and was quite impressed.

My choice would be Pushing Daisies.

MysterioMan007 02-17-19 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by LorenzoL (Post 13502083)
I used to love this show. First time that I saw Sarah Shahi in anything and was quite impressed.

I think I had seen her during her short run on Alias, but it was enough to get me invested in her and follow her career, which is probably why I checked Life out in the first place. She was good on Person of Interest, too, which is another great show which doesn't get a ton of discussion anymore.

fujishig 02-17-19 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by LorenzoL (Post 13502083)

My choice would be Pushing Daisies.

Pushing Daisies is another one that I'm sure has a cult following and is remembered fondly. I'd think Fuller's earlier shows like Wonderfalls or even Dead Like Me are less remembered.

LorenzoL 02-17-19 11:13 AM

I believe that Dead Like Me is the one that often people associate Fuller with. I give you Wonderfalls as that one might be the forgotten out of the 3.

Michael Corvin 02-17-19 01:04 PM

Wow, that's funny. I lent Wonderfalls to a friend not too long ago and I told my buddy it was kinda similar to Pushing Daisies, just not as colorful. I had no idea they were done by the same guy. :lol:

DJariya 02-17-19 02:35 PM

Strike Back, especially the first 4 seasons with Phillip Winchester and Sullivan Stapleton. Such a badass action series. But, I feel like only 5 people in this forum watch it.

It does have fans and a following outside of this forum, but I feel like the interest should be bigger.

Eric F 02-17-19 02:44 PM

Greg the Bunny (FOX again). What a strange show.